View Full Version : Sussy's Bricktown

ljbab728
01-10-2017, 10:49 PM
It will be interesting to see how this reboot of an Oklahoma City tradtion works out.

http://newsok.com/heyday-entertainment-set-to-open-in-oklahoma-citys-lower-bricktown/article/5533712

Hogan, meanwhile, is joining with Rick Bailey to open Sussy's in the remaining Bolero's space. The Sussy's name and recipes were legendary in Oklahoma City for more than 40 years, but the run ended last summer when the last restaurant, Nomad's, closed its doors.

Unlike Nomad's, the new Sussy's is being designed as a “quick casual” restaurant similar in operations at Lower Bricktown eateries like Fuzzy's and Texadelphia where customers line up to place their orders.
“What works in Bricktown is quick casual,” Hogan said. “We will have the specialty pizzas, but you'll be able to get it by the slice. We will have most of the menu Nomad used to have — I loved their salads, pizza, spaghetti, steaks and chicken.”

Pete, I didn't mean to post this under the general food area if you can move it.

shawnw
01-11-2017, 09:36 AM
I guess I didn't realize just how big the Bolero space was that it can do both a new restaurant and be an upstairs area for Hey Dey?

Ginkasa
01-11-2017, 09:39 AM
I guess I didn't realize just how big the Bolero space was that it can do both a new restaurant and be an upstairs area for Hey Dey?

IIRC, Bolero actually filled two separate spaces (at least public facing spaces). You had the bar in one area and then more of a sit down area that was separated by the main entrance for the Centennial.

Roger S
01-11-2017, 09:41 AM
IIRC, Bolero actually filled two separate spaces (at least public facing spaces). You had the bar in one area and then more of a sit down area that was separated by the main entrance for the Centennial.

You remember correctly.

Pete
01-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Yes, Bolero had a completely detached space that was south of the entryway into the Centennial Building.

That southern space had a big bar area and accordion doors that completely opened to the outside.

This is the space that HeyDay will be taking. Sussy's will be taking the contiguous space to the north of the entryway and directly south of Starbucks.

shawnw
01-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Ah ha, thanks! Not sure why I never noticed that detail. I liked Sussy's and wish them well in the LB.

Roger S
04-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Anyone know if this is open yet? Walking to bricktown for dinner before the playoff game tonight and looking to try something new.

Pete
04-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Anyone know if this is open yet? Walking to bricktown for dinner before the playoff game tonight and looking to try something new.

The haven't even started work yet.

Roger S
04-21-2017, 01:37 PM
The haven't even started work yet.

Ahhh saw it was on Google Maps already but.... Knuck's it is then! ... Thanks.

MagzOK
08-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Sussy's has their sign up.. Sussy's Eatery and Spirits since 1947. I'm stoked!

Pete
08-04-2017, 10:36 AM
I took this several weeks ago and never posted it:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sussys070917.jpg

harp23
09-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Is Sussy's open yet?

Pete
09-11-2017, 02:27 PM
No, they have a ways to go yet.

harp23
10-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Searched for a previous thread FOR sUSSYS but didn't find one. Last I heard this was to open mid-October, HAS IT?

Pete
10-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Searched for a previous thread FOR sUSSYS but didn't find one. Last I heard this was to open mid-October, HAS IT?

No, not yet. Looks like they are still 2-3 weeks out.

Richard at Remax
10-19-2017, 09:37 PM
~Nov 6 is what I was told tonight

warreng88
10-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Sussy’s returning with mixture of history and good food

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record October 20, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – Broker Brad Hogan says he’s not in the restaurant business. But he’s partnering with some investors to put an old Oklahoma City favorite into Lower Bricktown.

He needed a restaurant tenant at the building on the west side of the canal. The existing restaurant mix includes Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, Texadelphia, Sonic Drive-In, and HeyDay, which serves pizza and burgers.

With Spaghetti Warehouse closed, he figured the district needed another Italian restaurant. Through his connections, he had met Rick Bailey, who owned the recipes from The Nomad II. The former eatery traces its roots back to Sussy’s Italian Restaurant.

Bailey was interested in bringing back Sussy’s dishes, and Hogan’s partners were more than enthused to get back Oklahoma City classics like fried pepperoni pizza. So Sussy’s is returning.

“The quality of food was just delicious,” Hogan said. “I had one investor – I haven’t even met him – he wrote me a big check. He said, ‘I do not want the fried pepperoni pizza to disappear.’”

Sussy’s is getting updated, making the dishes faster to get, but they’ll be the same recipes. People order when they walk in the door, then find a seat.
The restaurant is credited with bringing pizza to Oklahoma City. It opened in 1949 on Lincoln Boulevard, north of the Capitol.

Oklahoma History Center Executive Director Bob Blackburn said Lincoln Boulevard, at that time, was as popular as Midtown or downtown. Lincoln Boulevard was a highly traveled street at the time, with people coming from the new turnpike and Northwest Expressway. The two most-visited restaurants were Sussy’s and Beverly’s Chicken in the Rough.

“(Sussy’s) was unique because it was classical Italian,” he said.

While nearly two-dozen cafeterias offered spaghetti and meatballs, having it made with family recipes was high-cuisine at the time, Blackburn said.

Hogan said the new rendition will have people’s favorite Sussy’s items, and a Nichols Hills classic, Crescent Market chili. The store was once a popular place in Nichols Hills Plaza. It closed in 2011, claiming the title as the state’s oldest grocery store.

Hogan said the chili is great on hot dogs and on spaghetti. Sussy’s will also have whole and half fried chickens. The legendary Sussy’s Caesar salad is on the menu as well.

Bricktown’s Sussy’s will open in mid-November. It’s equipped with televisions, a patio, and a large wine rack. Linda Seikel designed the interior.

Blackburn said the original Sussy’s food quality and caliber would have been comparable today to Kitchen 324 or Cheever’s. He said in the 1940s, Oklahoma City was a good grub town, where people could find a lot of food for cheap.

The next high-class place that would attract locals was The Cellar in downtown’s Hightower Building.

“I’m very pleased that we’re going to get (Sussy’s),” Blackburn said. “It has historical connections that I think are always important, but it’s good food too.”

soonerguru
10-30-2017, 11:28 PM
Not excited at all about the counter service. I was really excited about this. Bad idea.

boomerj
10-31-2017, 08:06 AM
Agree that it is a bad idea to just have counter service. I would drive downtown for a regular meal with service. Will not do so for counter service. Very disappointed.

Pete
10-31-2017, 08:11 AM
From their FB page:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sussys103017.jpg

Pete
11-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Opens Monday the 6th.

ImTheDude
11-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Ate there over the weekend at the soft opening with the wife and kids. We had Caesar salads, lasagna, spaghetti for the kids, cheese and fried pepperoni pizza. All of the food was great, especially the salads and fried pepperoni pizza, the beer list was also better than expected. Saw some posts that weren’t crazy about the counter service, but IMO it’ll be nice to have another quick option for good food before a thunder game, movie or weekday work lunch.

https://preview.ibb.co/dJZ1Qw/E889_ADF7_6_D25_46_EF_BCD4_051_F64_F26_D28.jpg (https://ibb.co/bOqakw)
https://preview.ibb.co/b6mRsb/BACDBF4_E_802_F_4_AF6_9_A6_C_41_E7853_EF1_C7.jpg (https://ibb.co/m0vakw)
https://preview.ibb.co/hCNo5w/AB1_CBBB4_8_A3_D_42_CB_87_DE_F411_F532_CFF3.jpg (https://ibb.co/gfmFkw)

Urbanized
11-08-2017, 08:49 PM
I’ve eaten there three times now. Food is at least as good as Nomad at its best, and far, far better than Nomad at the end. Food comes out super fast. Counter ordering isn’t weird at all, which was a surprise to me. Such good, solid family Italian, which is uncommon these days in OKC. Space is very nice, though may prove to be a bit small if it’s as successful as I think it will be.

BBatesokc
11-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Went there today with my usual lunch group. Got there about 12:30pm and the place was maybe half full.

Really nice build out. Doesn't feel as big as Bolero though to me. Regardless, it was nice. Much nicer than you'd expect for counter service.

Speaking of.... we really appreciated the counter service as it sped things along nicely.

We ordered a bit of everything and shared it; Pepperoni pizza with the fried pepperoni's, Italian nachos, chicken livers and gravy, spaghetti with Sussy's sauce, Spaghetti with meet sauce and meatballs, and lasagne.

It was all really good, hot and fresh tasting.

Mr. Hogan came over and sat for a bit and talked about the place and some other going's on in the area.

Prices were a little high for lunch, but the atmosphere, serving size and quality matched the price.

Will definitely go back for either lunch or dinner.

7NCSOONER
11-20-2017, 07:24 AM
We picked up for dinner last night and if you liked the Nomad, you will really enjoy this new version. The Fleetwood was just as good as ever but not quite as greasy. The salads were also very good. It was not very crowded but it was 6:00 on a Sunday night. Hopefully folks will get out and support the new venture.

Anonymous.
11-21-2017, 12:52 PM
I had it last week (to go). The pizza was for sure Nomad style. Awesome!

Urbanized, I don't know if you remember us talking about this - but crazy how long ago this was:

https://i.imgur.com/AJvNq3O.jpg

Urbanized
11-21-2017, 01:48 PM
^^^^^^^^^
That's wild!

Rover
11-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Good to know the Fleetwood has been preserved. It was the best pizza in OKC imho.

Ginkasa
04-03-2018, 09:06 AM
I've taken the family to Sussy's after a movie next door several times since they've opened. I had zero experience with previous Sussy's or Nomad, etc., so I really had no baseline for what to expect from this location.

Let me say that I really enjoy it. I'm not usually big on red sauce, so I was a little dismayed there wasn't any alfredo, but I've just been devouring every dish I've gotten. I just got a basic spaghetti with sauce dish just to give their "Sussy's sauce" a try and it was great. The lasagna was great. The chicken parmesan is great. Their pizza is amazing.

I'm pretty much falling in love with this place. Like, I want to go see a movie just so I can have Sussy's after.

Urbanized
04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
It is simple, good, old-school family Italian. The most traditional style of American Italian you can imagine with no attempt to regionalize or get fancy, and honestly I think that is its strength. Very few places like that in this neck of the woods, especially these days. The ingredients are fresh and high quality, the recipes are faithful to the original with a few quality updates, and I PROMISE if you take someone who lived Sussy's in the 50s, 60s etc they will LOVE it. I've been with my dad a couple of times and he loves loves loves it, and remembers well going to the original as a young man and to all of the various incarnations over the years. Also, the space is really comfortable, the cozy bar is great and the staff is super.

Celebrator
04-03-2018, 10:21 AM
It is simple, good, old-school family Italian. The most traditional style of American Italian you can imagine with no attempt to regionalize or get fancy, and honestly I think that is its strength. Very few places like that in this neck of the woods, especially these days. The ingredients are fresh and high quality, the recipes are faithful to the original with a few quality updates, and I PROMISE if you take someone who lived Sussy's in the 50s, 60s etc they will LOVE it. I've been with my dad a couple of times and he loves loves loves it, and remembers well going to the original as a young man and to all of the various incarnations over the years. Also, the space is really comfortable, the cozy bar is great and the staff is super.

I know this seems like a strange question or perhaps an obvious one, but how do folks around here pronounce the name of this restaurant?

Roger S
04-03-2018, 10:23 AM
I know this seems like a strange question or perhaps an obvious one, but how do folks around here pronounce the name of this restaurant?

I pronounce it SUH-sees

Urbanized
04-03-2018, 10:39 AM
^^^^^^^
That's how everyone I've ever heard say the name pronounce it, including the current owner.

Celebrator
04-03-2018, 11:12 AM
I pronounce it SUH-sees

Thanks! Didn't want to be the local who didn't say it right!

ctchandler
04-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Sussy's was founded by Jake Samara and he hired Jack Sussman and named the restaurant(s) Sussy's. So, SUH-sees is a good description of the pronunciation. I have eaten their pizza from the 50's till the Nomad II closed and it's still my favorite pizza. I really want to get down there and enjoy it again but I'm not sure I can make it with my health problems. Maybe convince my boys to take me down there one of these days. If I say "I'm buying" I'm sure they will be ready to go.
C. T.

Urbanized
04-03-2018, 09:39 PM
C.T. if you talk them into it let me know. I’d like to catch up with you and also with your oldest. Haven’t seen him in years and he used to be one of my closest friends.

ctchandler
04-04-2018, 09:12 PM
C.T. if you talk them into it let me know. I’d like to catch up with you and also with your oldest. Haven’t seen him in years and he used to be one of my closest friends.

Urbanized,
I will certainly let you know. I have moved to an independent living (old folks home, retirement home) facility that is literally 100 feet from Lafe's home. I can throw a rock over the stockade fence separating us and hit him in they head. And you know he deserves it. Anyway, my point is, I will offer to take Lafe and his family for pizza one of these days and let you know when we are going.
C. T.

Urbanized
04-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Sounds great C.T.! I just moved my mom into an independent senior living place just a stone’s throw from my place, so I’m sure he and I will have plenty on which to compare notes!

ctchandler
04-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Sounds great C.T.! I just moved my mom into an independent senior living place just a stone’s throw from my place, so I’m sure he and I will have plenty on which to compare notes!

Urbanized,
Have her give me a call, we can discuss the best rocks for accuracy and damage. I'm sure you need it occasionally too.
C. T.

Urbanized
04-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Urbanized,
Have her give me a call, we can discuss the best rocks for accuracy and damage. I'm sure you need it occasionally too.
C. T.
Haha sounds like a terrible idea :D

Thomas Vu
04-06-2018, 12:32 PM
I stopped by for lunch today. Enjoyed the fried pepperoni pizza, and the meatballs

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U1UWv9xVekFNkf5g1

How much pepperoni is too much pepperoni? I have yet to cross it, and this amount isn't it. Not great cold though. I took some back to the office, and probably should have reheated it. Best meatballs I think I've yet to have in OKC. More than anything though, I enjoyed the marinara sauce on the pizza and the meatballs.

Anonymous.
04-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Man that photo of the pizza... I know where I will be making at least one trip this weekend.

ctchandler
04-06-2018, 09:06 PM
I stopped by for lunch today. Enjoyed the fried pepperoni pizza, and the meatballs

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U1UWv9xVekFNkf5g1

How much pepperoni is too much pepperoni? I have yet to cross it, and this amount isn't it. Not great cold though. I took some back to the office, and probably should have reheated it. Best meatballs I think I've yet to have in OKC. More than anything though, I enjoyed the marinara sauce on the pizza and the meatballs.

Thomas,
I don't recall a pizza like that at Sussy's. The bread looks normal but it is really loaded with pepperoni. I would love that much pepperoni. My favorite for years was "sliced" Italian sausage but Nomad II quit using sliced in their last couple of years and just used ground sausage. It's still good but in my opinion not as good as sliced.
C. T.

Richard at Remax
09-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Closed as of this weekend. Shame too since I thought it was pretty good. However there is zero exposure and I not surprised.

shawnw
09-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Wow. I was wondering, was in there last weekend and it was pretty dead.

Ginkasa
09-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Son of a gun

GoldFire
09-24-2018, 07:53 AM
Two places I frequent gone in the last week. Not liking this pattern...

SoonerQueen
03-31-2019, 07:47 PM
We just found out they are closed. Does anyone know when and if they are going to open another location?