View Full Version : Hawaiian Kitchen

Roger S
01-03-2017, 10:31 AM
https://www.facebook.com/HawaiianKitchen/

Just spotted this place that opened up in Midwest City, back in Octotber, recently on Zomato. Haven't been to try it out yet, obviously, but I see musubi and loco moco on the menu.... So I'm sure I'll be eating there way too often soon.

Pete
01-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Oooh... I love Hawaii style chicken teriyaki.

There was a mini-chain in California that I've missed since moving to OKC.

Also, their curry looks darn good.

Roger S
01-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Oooh... I love Hawaii style chicken teriyaki.

There was a mini-chain in California that I've missed since moving to OKC.

Also, their curry looks darn good.

I ate at a Vegas chain when I was out there April 2016 and enjoyed it a lot... Can't go wrong with Spam and rice!

Can't believe this place has been here since October and I hadn't heard of it until now.

Pete
01-03-2017, 10:38 AM
I ate at a Vegas chain when I was out there April 2016 and enjoyed it a lot... Can't go wrong with Spam and rice!.

It was probably L&L, the one I was referencing:

https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/

Roger S
01-03-2017, 11:31 AM
It was probably L&L, the one I was referencing:

https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/

Went back and looked it up.... It was Aloha Kitchen (http://alohakitchenlv.com/)

Roger S
01-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Couldn't resist going and trying this place today instead of staying in and eating celery and peanut butter for lunch... Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Tried the musubi...

And the loco moco...

Pete
01-04-2017, 01:08 PM
And???

How was it?

Roger S
01-04-2017, 01:37 PM
And???

How was it?

I enjoyed every bite of it!

Will definitely be added to my regular lunch rotation.

u50254082
01-04-2017, 10:22 PM
I'm glad this topic came up. I actually inquired with L&L a year or two ago about franchising a location in OKC. They have a location in Dallas, but the bulk of their locations are pretty much west of the Rockies. They were actually quite warm to the idea and the costs to get started aren't terrible. I always figured that people in this market would acclimate easily to Hawaiian cuisine since it's not terribly exotic.

Fair to say the idea never took off (had too many people tell me just how much work it is to run a restaurant) and better opportunities came up, but I'm glad someone brought Hawaiian to OKC anyway.

Roger S
01-05-2017, 06:44 AM
Fair to say the idea never took off (had too many people tell me just how much work it is to run a restaurant) and better opportunities came up, but I'm glad someone brought Hawaiian to OKC anyway.

Even better both of the women working there looked to be Polynesian.

Their hours are limited (Tues-Sat 11:00 - 2:00) and the space is small but I think everyone that was there while I was there were first timers. So people are going in and trying it at least..... Hope it thrives there because I can make loco moco and musubi but I have to make it in larger quantities than I need to be eating.... So it's great to finally be able to go get a single portion.

u50254082
01-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Even better both of the women working there looked to be Polynesian.

Their hours are limited (Tues-Sat 11:00 - 2:00) and the space is small but I think everyone that was there while I was there were first timers. So people are going in and trying it at least..... Hope it thrives there because I can male loco moco and musubi but I have to make it in larger quantities than I need to be eating.... So it's great to finally be able to go get a single portion.

I hope you're also making some macaraoni salad when you make that loco moco or musubi. Can't have one without the other. :cool:

Roger S
01-05-2017, 08:09 AM
I hope you're also making some macaraoni salad when you make that loco moco or musubi. Can't have one without the other. :cool:

HAHA.... I agree but yeah I don't make the macaroni salad for the same reasons I don't make the musubi and loco moco very often... Quantity.

The macaroni salad at Hawaiian Kitchen was really good.... I'm really wanting to go back again today too.... Loco Moco is defintely a great way to fight the cold weather... Comfort food at it's finest!

soonermike81
01-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Love musubi! Do they do other variations outside of spam? I def like the spam, but I had a tuna musubi at a farmer's market in Hawaii, and it was amazing. Definitely checking this place out soon!

Roger S
01-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Love musubi! Do they do other variations outside of spam? I def like the spam, but I had a tuna musubi at a farmer's market in Hawaii, and it was amazing. Definitely checking this place out soon!

I believe just with Spam... I ordered Musubi and they didn't ask what protein I wanted with it.

Pete
01-05-2017, 09:30 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hawaiianmenu.jpg

Roger S
01-05-2017, 09:47 AM
They have a few items that aren't listed on that menu too.... They had steamed buns as an appetizer and some kind of curry fried pie that looked pretty darn good..... They also now offer Kalua Pork as a meat option.

soonermike81
01-05-2017, 10:36 AM
I believe just with Spam... I ordered Musubi and they didn't ask what protein I wanted with it.

Thanks. We'll most likely be trying them out anyways. Just wish it wasn't all the way out in MWC. Oh we've driven out there now on a few occasions to try some unique spots that OKC doesn't have.

Roger S
01-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Thanks. We'll most likely be trying them out anyways. Just wish it wasn't all the way out in MWC. Oh we've driven out there now on a few occasions to try some unique spots that OKC doesn't have.

Just remember they are only open for lunch (11 AM - 2 PM) Tuesday through Saturday..... If you happen to forget and get over there and they are closed... I recommend giving Chibugan in Del City a try... It's Filipino cuisine but similar to Hawaiian and very tasty.

u50254082
01-05-2017, 10:49 AM
This topic reminds me of my favorite dish at this Hawaiian place in Vegas called Island Flavor. They call it roast pork with gravy and it is a real treat.

This isn't theirs, but this pic is similar enough.

http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/images16/pier_21/roast_pork.jpg

soonermike81
01-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Just remember they are only open for lunch (11 AM - 2 PM) Tuesday through Saturday..... If you happen to forget and get over there and they are closed... I recommend giving Chibugan in Del City a try... It's Filipino cuisine but similar to Hawaiian and very tasty.

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah we tried Chibugan recently and enjoyed it. Didn't love it like some of our friends do, but we'll definitely give it another go when we're in the area.

Roger S
01-05-2017, 12:01 PM
This topic reminds me of my favorite dish at this Hawaiian place in Vegas called Island Flavor. They call it roast pork with gravy and it is a real treat.

This isn't theirs, but this pic is similar enough.

They could probably make you something similar at Hawaiian Kitchen.... They were serving pork a couple of ways.

Roger S
03-31-2017, 07:31 AM
Well dang.... Posted on their FB page this morning.