View Full Version : Chick n Beer

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
12-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Went to the soft opening last night for Chick n Beer in the old Bubba's BBQ space in the 23rd Street Courts.

Owned and operated by Truong Le of Guernsey Park.

I've always loved the space here from back in the Bubba's days and they've done a nice job of updating it and putting in about a 10-seat bar towards the back (back left of the first photo). They have several local beers on tap and will be adding more.

The menu is trimmed down for now but the feature are the Korean style wings available in several different sauces.

I ordered 15, which allows for 3 different types. If you order 10 you get 2 sauce types, 20 you get 4.

I chose Sweet Chili (top), Gochujang (right) and 5 Spice Rub (bottom). I loved them all! At first I strongly preferred the spicy version of Gochujang but after diving in I really enjoyed the variety of all 3 flavors rather than just a huge pile of one.

I really like the feel of the place as well and the staff was fantastic.

They have their formal opening on the 29th and will initially be open at 4 every day but 11 on the weekends. I believe they plan to add weekday lunch later.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chicknbeer10.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chicknbeer11.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chicknbeer12.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chicknbeer13.jpg

ljbab728
12-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Am I missing something or do they not post the prices for their food?

Martin
12-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Am I missing something or do they not post the prices for their food?

that's probably just the menu for the soft opening event...

hookertime
12-28-2016, 02:17 PM
I'll be checking it out Friday night and will review it here when I do. It's about 3 blocks from my house so I'm very excited to check it out

2Lanez
12-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Big opening night for them last night. Tables and bar were full, those waiting could barely fit inside. It seemed like they were full most of the night.

hookertime
01-03-2017, 01:54 PM
As promised, here's my review of my first dinner at Chick n Beer.

We read here that they opened at 4 so we walked the 3 blocks to the restaurant. Not open. Someone came to the door and nicely told us that it would be 5 when they open. Oh well. We'll go grab a coffee at Cuppee and Joe's. Check here (yeah, Pete said 4) and check their facebook page (huh, that says 4:30). Oh well. We make our way back at 5 and we are one of 3 sets of couples going in when the doors opened.

Ordered some drinks. I initially ordered an Iron Monk Stout but there was a bit of confusion and I was given an Iron Monk cocktail that was essentially a Colorado Bulldog with Iron Monk instead of Coke. I told them not to worry about it as I really liked those anyway; turns out they took it off our bill by the time the check came even though I drank it and told them I liked it. Big ups there and the waitress got some extra dollars for that one.

We ordered the kimchi fries to start and they were very good. I'm not positive I'll order them again as the sour fermented flavor from the cabbage wasn't quite as awesome with the cheese. The proportions were of kimchi to cheese to fries was good though. Also, I'll point out here that I think they're still waiting to get their silverware as we used plasticware. The plastic forks actually didn't hold up that well to stabbing fries but definitely wasn't the biggest issue (my fiancee had zero issues so I'm not sure if this is any sort of deal or not).

Then out came the wings. I wanted to try 4 flavors so we ordered 24 traditional wings. The flavors were Gochujan (Hot), Salt and Pepper, Mango Thai Chili, and Sweet Five Spice. The Gochujan was amazing. Hints of soy, a little sweetness, and a kick of heat. This will be their top seller, I think. The Salt and Pepper were my favorite. They're fried wings sauteed with onion, garlic, and jalapenos finished with salt and pepper. Deceptively great (I knew they'd be good as my brother worked at a sushi bar in Missouri with almost the exact same thing on their appetizer menu). The Mango Thai chili was more on the sweeter side than I would have liked but the flavor was really good. Be sure to scoop up the extra sauce at the bottom to get a bit more the spice. The Sweet Five Spice was....enigmatic. Definitely not bad but the flavors were a lot more subtle than I had assumed they'd be. We took home two of each kind (one apiece to share) and they all reheated well, but the Salt and Pepper fared the best (not surprising given its plating/ingredients). The actual wings themselves are traditional-Korean double fried and ARE AMAZING. Super crisp and able to hold onto a lot of sauce. Also, we were offered bleu cheese and ranch and the wings were so good we never touched them.

Throughout the service we were approached by a few different people asking us about our thoughts on the food. I believe one woman was the owner. They were all super nice and pleased to hear that we thought they were the best wings in town by a long shot. We also talked with who we think was the bar manager. All of their cocktails utilize local beers and they all sound amazing. I'll be trying them out as well even though I'm more of a beer drinker.

The establishment had plenty of TVs with sports on so it's definitely catering to the sports bar crowd. Probably going to be my go-to game night restaurant.

Summary: GREAT wings. Get the Gochujan sauce, you won't be disappointed. Try the Salt and Pepper but maybe try them as boneless so they're easier to eat.

Pete
01-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the review and sorry about the mix-up on the hours.

I just posted what I had been told.

hookertime
01-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Oh don't sweat it. We weren't upset with anyone since it was only their second night open.. We figured it was all just a misunderstanding as their facebook wasn't accurate either. Issues like that get ironed out pretty quickly and if someone can't handle a mix-up or two, then they shouldn't go the opening nights of a restaurant.

Pete
01-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Agree about the Gochujan sauce, especially the spicy variety.

That to me was the stand out.

They are also planning to add more menu items over time and I look forward to trying all of them.

zefferoni
01-06-2017, 04:30 PM
They're planning on being open for lunch on February 1st.

Roger S
01-09-2017, 08:08 AM
They're planning on being open for lunch on February 1st.

Awesome.... When I saw their hours I was kind of bummed because I'm not usually in that part of town in the evening but this will definitely enter my lunch rotation.

hookertime
01-09-2017, 01:18 PM
So I've now been to the restaurant three separate times. Every time has been "Exceeds Expectations" on everything. I'll keep this "review" short since I've been given a lot of crap about the length of my previous one from friends and family who know my username.

I've tried all of the sauces and my three favorite are: Gochujang (Hot), Yellow Curry, and Salt and Pepper. I can't really put one above the other two as they all bring something unique to the table. The cocktails with beer are great and I recommend trying as many as you can. They've apparently re-worked their boneless wing breading recipe and they are really good now, but I'll always order bone-in over boneless.

I'm going back another time this week so I'm going to be damn near an expert on their food.

shadfar
01-09-2017, 01:24 PM
^^^ Good to know they have boneless option! i was wondering about that.

zefferoni
01-10-2017, 07:12 AM
So I've now been to the restaurant three separate times. Every time has been "Exceeds Expectations" on everything. I'll keep this "review" short since I've been given a lot of crap about the length of my previous one from friends and family who know my username.
I'm scheduling your intervention now ;) I think the reviews are great though.
Definitely agree on those three picks. The Mama's sweet and salty are also great. The fish sauce is flavorful without being too fish saucy.
This place is definitely going to be one of my regulars.

Pete
01-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Stopped by tonight and had the kimchi slider (beef) and the seasoned fries and a frosty beer... Holy cow that was good.

The slider was very flavorful with juicy meat and a nice kick to the sauce. The shoestring fries where drizzled with the spicy sauce they use on their wings and they were delicious.

Such a charming little spot as well. This is definitely going into the rotation.

Dr Beard Face
01-17-2017, 10:00 AM
I went on Saturday with some friends and we all loved it! The dip duo and kimchi fries were amazing spins on regular appetizers. Won ton chips are awesomely crispy and light. The wings are super flavorful. I loved the hot Gochujang sauce, but the waitress told us it would burn your lips however I wouldn't say it was as hot as I was wanting. It's a very small restaurant so it can get a little crowded but even at 8 on a Saturday night the wait was short. I'll be going back to it shortly.

hookertime
01-17-2017, 02:31 PM
I loved the hot Gochujang sauce, but the waitress told us it would burn your lips however I wouldn't say it was as hot as I was wanting.

My only "complaint" about the place. None of the sauces were overly spicy and I never once thought the hotter flavors were even on the verge of too hot. The Gochujang Hot is, however, one of the most balanced wing flavors I've had. Not overly sweet, not overly salty, not overly hot. It's the Goldilocks flavor. Just right

2Lanez
01-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Yeah, the hot Gochujang was delicious. Could have used a little more spice. I was a little let down by the Buffalo. Very different from traditional buffalo wing sauce. Not as vinegary, and less spicy.

Overall, hardly a complaint. Huge beer list, and the wings were great.

Pete
01-20-2017, 09:10 AM
The kim chi slider was fantastic as was the seasoned fries which are drizzled with the Gochujang sauce and Sriracha.

Both had a bit of spice and were delicious.

John Knight
01-24-2017, 06:49 AM
I went here Friday night around 8:30pm and there was a 30 minute wait. We went to the bar to grab a beer while we waited.

Let me just say that this place is now one of my new favorites in OKC. The beer selection was good and the IPA was fresh. The food was absolutely amazing! I am so happy that we now have a good wing place in central OKC, not to mention it's local!

Pete
01-24-2017, 07:09 AM
^

I knew you would love it.

I'm really looking forward to when they get their outdoor patio going as it will bring a lot of life to 23rd.

Also, hope they add lunch in the near future.

John Knight
01-24-2017, 07:11 AM
Very exciting to hear! This place is an absolute home run!

Roger S
01-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Also, hope they add lunch in the near future.

I either saw someone mention it here or it was on Facebook but that is supposed to happen Feb 1st.... I can't wait!

Timshel
01-24-2017, 07:42 AM
I either saw someone mention it here or it was on Facebook but that is supposed to happen Feb 1st.... I can't wait!

I was in this weekend and the bartender told me the same thing. I guess they had to hire an additional manager before they would open for lunch. Hopefully it will continue to do well.

shadfar
01-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Very exciting to hear! This place is an absolute home run!

Agreed! So good!

king183
01-24-2017, 10:15 AM
I'll just echo what everyone else has said. I went here Friday night at 8 and the wait was 30 minutes (it really turned out to be 10). Food was good, service was great, and the prices were right.

I recommend. Now git!

Pete
02-02-2017, 05:19 AM
They are now open for lunch.

Thomas Vu
02-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I stopped by yesterday cause they told me it was closing at 11, and caught the ending of the SB. Didn't know last call was at 9 though =(.

Stopped by again today for lunch and tried the gochujang and buffalo sauce with their spicy fries. $16 and some change before tip. Wasn't bad. Had the crunch that I normally associate with korean style wings. They were small, but they make up for it by adding a 6th wing as opposed to 5. Fries were good if you like shoe strings. Guy apologized to me, and turns out they don't close at 9.

I'd say better (only?) wing places in the area.

Bullbear
02-07-2017, 08:32 AM
We went Saturday night and had about a 20 minute wait. we did boneless wings as we were headed to a party and didn't want to wrestle our food before going. 20 Boneless and two orders of fries was 20 bucks. I was super impressed! we tried the Gochujang, Salt and Pepper, Mamas? and Mango chili.. all were fantastic and the Gochujang was probably my favorite. we will definitely be back.

Pete
02-07-2017, 08:34 AM
I crave that Gochujang!

Need to get back there this week.

dankrutka
02-12-2017, 01:08 PM
I would just like to echo the positive comments on this place. A group of us went before the game on Saturday and the ambience is inviting (feels like a restaurant in your home), the service was attentive, and the food/drinks were delicious. I highly recommend trying this place out.

Mike_M
02-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Just tried this out today. Got the red curry and 5 spice wings. Both were cooked well and tasted excellent. The fries were a tad on the salty side but not unbearable. Tried the Lemongrass beef skewer as well. Expected something like satay, but this was just a long beef patty that was stuck on a skewer. The flavor was fine but it was a bit chewy and wasn't really an 'eat off the skewer' texture.

The service was great and the prices are really exactly what I'd want to pay for this meal. Definitely adding it to my rotation.

Roger S
02-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Finally got over there to try it for the first time today. There were workers there working on the new patio while I was there. So it should be open soon.

Service was a little disjointed but sitting close to the kitchen I thought I heard someone say they were down a fryer and I also heard a lot of big To-Go orders being called out. So that wasn't an issue for me.

I had also heard a lot of complaints about the size of the wings. I normally eat an order of 15 wings at BWW so I went with 18 today due to the complaints I had heard..... Well I was pretty stuffed after 12 and I don't know what kind of pterodactyl wings the complainers have been eating but all the wings I had today were plenty big.

I tried the gochujang and salt and pepper wings, probably should have gone with a third flavor to try but rookie mistake on my part, and both were excellent.... The gochujang had a nice lingering heat but wasn't overpowering. I have a high tolerance and while these aren't a super hot wing they had nice heat to them. The salt and pepper aren't hot at all so don't let the jalapeno in the description scare you from trying them because they were tasty as well.

Only complaint I have is the tiny napkins provided at the bar. They may have had bigger napkins at the tables but all I had available at the bar were cocktail napkins which aren't suitable for dealing with the aftermath of saucy wings. Other than that the wings were great and plentiful and an excellent change from BWW.

Pete
02-22-2017, 06:05 PM
They have added some new things to their menu:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cnb022217.jpg

Paseofreak
02-22-2017, 07:14 PM
The chef brought me a chicken lettuce wrap about a week ago. Awesome!

Thomas Vu
02-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Could someone help me spot what the new items are?

Teo9969
02-23-2017, 12:20 AM
'twas delicious when we went last weekend.

Certainly a place that I think should be a huge success. Great to see it on 23rd.

Dr Beard Face
02-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Could someone help me spot what the new items are?
I know at least the Lettuce wrap and BBQ Honey Red curry wings are new. I believe the hot fries are new too.

Pete
02-23-2017, 08:49 AM
The salads are new.

That's a really nice menu.

Glad this place has caught on.

CCOKC
02-23-2017, 08:56 AM
I went last night and had the kale salad and the sweet potato fritters. Both were very tasty.

Timshel
02-23-2017, 10:36 AM
I had the hot fries last week and if you like the gochujang they are definitely worth getting. And although I initially interpreted the new menu to read that the sides are only available with the sliders they happily offered the sides with an order of wings.

Thomas Vu
02-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Hot fries aren't new, I had those when I visited. Thank you for the heads up though.

zefferoni
03-31-2017, 06:30 PM
Their patio was open tonight, two long tables and 1-2 small bar style tables. It's nice and cozy and will be great once it's a little warmer.
The window opens up so you can order drinks and stuff from outside.

Pete
06-20-2017, 11:21 AM
This has become one of my favorite places.

I've always loved the space although it can get a bit loud when it's crowded, which is often.

I really like the kimchi fries and beef slider. Wings are great too but I'm not that much of a wing guy.

And good beer selection with a bunch more taps coming very soon.

Bullbear
06-21-2017, 07:54 AM
we eat here a lot! It is loud when very busy. we have discovered its a good option on sunday when the rest of the world is brunching.

Canoe
06-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Is there a cover on fight nights?

Thomas Vu
07-19-2017, 11:14 PM
I stopped by again for a vendor meeting. Ordered wings (didnt specify bone or boneless) and they brought me boneless. I'm glad they did and thought the boneless were better than the bone in. Also had the shi****o peppers and thought they were nice too.

zefferoni
07-20-2017, 06:10 AM
Their boneless wings used to be pretty meh, but they've turned them around and they're delicious now. I still prefer the bone-in, but I'll happily eat both.

Pete
07-20-2017, 06:14 AM
^

Wasn't crazy about their boneless version when they first opened.

Thanks for the tips because now I'll give them another go.

TheirTheir
07-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Good to know. We love this place as well. Our obsession was sparked by the incredibly awesome YouTube show "Hot Ones". I suggest you do yourself a favor and check it out.

Thomas Vu
07-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Hm, interesting that my post got censored for something that was on the menu shi shi to peppers

Pete
07-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Hm, interesting that my post got censored for something that was on the menu shi shi to peppers

Sorry, we have a filter that has a mind of its own.

Timshel
07-20-2017, 11:59 AM
^

Wasn't crazy about their boneless version when they first opened.

Thanks for the tips because now I'll give them another go.

I echo the sentiment that the boneless wings have improved significantly since opening. Also, their spicy gochujang wings, which I didn't think were that spicy early on, have gotten a lot hotter the last couple times I've been. It looks like they've been dumping more cayenne (or other hot dried pepper) than they used to, which I definitely appreciate.

Roger S
07-20-2017, 12:10 PM
My question is... What kind of cruel science experiment created all these chickens with boneless wings? That's just pure evil! ;)

Well that and when are they going to invent a chicken that's just skin? Man I love some crispy chicken skin!

Bullbear
07-20-2017, 12:15 PM
My question is... What kind of cruel science experiment created all these chickens with boneless wings? That's just pure evil! ;)

Well that and when are they going to invent a chicken that's just skin? Man I love some crispy chicken skin!

A newer Restaurant in Dallas called Street's Fine chicken.. they have an appetizer of Fried chicken skin.. seriously a basket of chicken skins like you'd expect to be a basket of Tortilla chips. SOOOOO GOOOOD!

Roger S
07-20-2017, 01:30 PM
A newer Restaurant in Dallas called Street's Fine chicken.. they have an appetizer of Fried chicken skin.. seriously a basket of chicken skins like you'd expect to be a basket of Tortilla chips. SOOOOO GOOOOD!

I've been waiting for a good reason to make a Dallas run... This definitely qualifies!

sooner88
07-20-2017, 01:36 PM
I've been waiting for a good reason to make a Dallas run... This definitely qualifies!

I looked it up... worth going for the name of the app alone. "Chickarones"

Bullbear
07-20-2017, 03:18 PM
two doors down is one of my fav places as well.. Café Brazil ( several in Dallas and this is original) their El Gourdo Crepes are amazing!

Thomas Vu
07-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Meddlesome Moth has fried chicken skins as an appetizer.

Anonymous.
03-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Just wanted to give this place a bump here. I think these are possibly the best bang for buck wings in the city. The quality is always top notch and the service is great. And it isn't too rough on the wallet!