View Full Version : PDQ Chicken

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
11-16-2016, 09:09 AM
The first PDQ in Oklahoma is planned for Bryant Square in Edmond.

Another will be built in front of Home Depot at 14201 N. Penn.

https://www.eatpdq.com/

jn1780
11-16-2016, 09:26 AM
The first PDQ in Oklahoma is planned for Bryant Square in Edmond.

Another will be built in front of Home Depot at 14201 N. Penn.

https://www.eatpdq.com/

That will make four chicken places in that area of Penn. Three literally within a 1000 feet of each other. Now we just need Zaxby's to build there and we will have five chicken restaurants in the area which I'm sure they will eventually.

jerrywall
11-16-2016, 09:40 AM
That will make four chicken places in that area of Penn. Three literally within a 1000 feet of each other. Now we just need Zaxby's to build there and we will have five chicken restaurants in the area which I'm sure they will eventually.

Yeah, it's similar with Bryant Square. It's nuts. I guess we love our fried chicken in Oklahoma.

Bullbear
11-16-2016, 12:13 PM
I like to call those condensed areas of Chicken spots.. " Chicken Strips" I think that was discussed here as well.

HOT ROD
11-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Chicken Shacks

warreng88
11-16-2016, 02:22 PM
I wish they would build one larger building and off shoots to other chicken restaurants and call the off shoots chicken wings...

Roger S
11-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it's similar with Bryant Square. It's nuts. I guess we love our fried chicken in Oklahoma.

Yet oddly the two times someone has tried a concept like Babe's Chicken Dinner House here it has failed.... I don't understand that...... Then on second thought... Knowing the style of BBQ that is prevalent around here... It makes perfect sense! lol

Thomas Vu
11-16-2016, 02:59 PM
I didn't get the hype of Babes. Could really go for a pollo tropical though.

What can PDQ be compared to? I've been told a grade below wal-mart chicken. He doesn't like pdq hahaa

Pete
11-16-2016, 03:00 PM
El Pollo Loco is the one chicken chain I'd like to see in OKC.

sooner88
11-16-2016, 03:04 PM

You should try out El Pollo Chulo on 50th and MacArthur.

Roger S
11-16-2016, 03:23 PM
You should try out El Pollo Chulo on 50th and MacArthur.

Or El Primo Loco at Grand and Western or the even more seedy location at SW 29th and May..... Awesome food but unfortunately outside most peoples comfort zones..... Saw two 50 something women walk in and turn around and walk right out one day.... It's a shame because their pollo asado al carbon is chicken at it's best.

soonermike81
11-16-2016, 08:15 PM

Oh man, I had it for the first time recently on a recent visit to LA. Loved it!

Brett
11-17-2016, 04:31 AM
I would love to see PDQ take over the abandoned KFC location at NW 59th & May Ave.

Zuplar
11-17-2016, 08:25 AM

Agreed.

ctchandler
11-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Wasn't there an El Pollo Loco on MacArthur ten-fifteen years ago? I ate there occasionally and it was pretty good. Then I picked up an order that had bad/spoiled meat. I realize that things happen but I just couldn't get over that smell of rotten meat so I never went back. The more I think of it, I know we had one but I'm having trouble remembering the location. I think it was between NW 39th Expressway and 50th street.
C. T.

GaryOKC6
11-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Cowboy Chicken is opening at 13801 N. Pennsylvania Ave., Suite A . It looks pretty good and I can't wait to try it. They open next month. www.cowboychicken.com

Thomas Vu
11-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Cowboy Chicken is opening at 13801 N. Pennsylvania Ave., Suite A . It looks pretty good and I can't wait to try it. They open next month. www.cowboychicken.com

It's a start. I went to one in Frisco, and wouldn't go again.

John
11-18-2016, 01:55 AM
Now we just need Zaxby's to build there...

I believe Zaxby's is building near Life.Church on Penn & 178th.

(The north end of the chicken district; bookended by KFC/Popeye's/Wing Stop at 122nd.)

progressiveboy
12-01-2016, 07:17 PM
Cowboy Chicken is great! Rotiseree chicken cooked over pecan and hickory wood. Excellent twice baked potatoes, creamed spinach, green beans and great chicken enchiladas with a green chile sauce. Always busy in their DFW stores!

Pete
03-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Building permit for a PDQ at 14215 N Penn, in front of Home Depot.

d-usa
03-17-2017, 12:16 PM
I think it's pretty safe to rebrand Penn Avenue to "The Chicken Strip" from Memorial to 150th.

Cowboy Chicken, Chick-fil-A, Cane's, PDQ, and Chicken Express.

John
03-17-2017, 03:46 PM
I think it's pretty safe to rebrand Penn Avenue to "The Chicken Strip" from Memorial to 150th.

Cowboy Chicken, Chick-fil-A, Cane's, PDQ, and Chicken Express.

Take it down to 122nd and you can add KFC and Wing Stop (and a now shuttered Popeye's).

gurantula35
10-05-2017, 08:57 AM
The PDQ on Penn in front of Home Depot opens this Sunday,

GoOKC1991
04-01-2019, 02:09 PM
They are closing all Oklahoma locations.

http://www.news9.com/story/40231653/pdq-closing-all-oklahoma-locations-officials-said

Pete
04-01-2019, 02:12 PM
^

They have already removed the 3 OK locations from their website.

They may already be closed.

First one opened in Nov 2017.

GoOKC1991
04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
I went once and was not impressed at all.

Pete
04-01-2019, 02:26 PM
The first casualty of the Chicken Wars.

jedicurt
04-01-2019, 02:28 PM
not surprising... they were good when they first opened on Penn... then 2 months in, they changed their entire menu and got rid of some of the best items.. i stopped going back after that

jedicurt
04-01-2019, 02:33 PM
it's also interesting, because it looks like they closed the three in DFW area as well,

aDark
04-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Is this possibly an Aprils fools joke? I'm not crazy for fast food chicken but I thought their location on Penn stayed fairly busy. :eek:

jedicurt
04-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Is this possibly an Aprils fools joke? I'm not crazy for fast food chicken but I thought their location on Penn stayed fairly busy. :eek:

pretty big joke to remove them from your website, as well as mark them all as closed on Google Maps and Yelp...

FighttheGoodFight
04-01-2019, 03:08 PM
The one in Norman is never very busy. That didn't last too long.

jn1780
04-01-2019, 03:32 PM
I know a couple of months ago PDQ was dead so my family went there instead of Chick Fil A which was busy inside and had a line of cars going out to the street. Not surprising their gone. They built a nice restaurant for someone to move into though(maybe Cowboy Chicken)?

MagzOK
04-01-2019, 03:41 PM
I didn't go often, but I thought they offered quality white meat that was good. Not fantastic, but solid. I did like their selection of sauces you could dip and I loved how they had tater tots. That being said, I stopped going because I got an email from them that my credit card number had been compromised since I had used it there a few times.

GoOKC1991
04-02-2019, 06:54 AM
Overall, it seems to be easy to see why they closed. Not many cared for it, especially with much better chicken options around.

jedicurt
04-02-2019, 07:53 AM
Overall, it seems to be easy to see why they closed. Not many cared for it, especially with much better chicken options around.

and since they also recently closed all of their DFW locations as well... looks like it had little to do with OKC's market, and everything to do with the company as a whole

jccouger
04-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Never even heard about them until they closed.

Robert_M
04-02-2019, 08:54 AM
News said they were closed down on Sunday and at least the three here in OKC were owned by the same Franchisee. Wonder if there wasn't an issue with the Franchisee and they didn't have anyone else able to step up and take over and didn't want to deal with the stores themselves.

jedicurt
04-02-2019, 09:04 AM
News said they were closed down on Sunday and at least the three here in OKC were owned by the same Franchisee. Wonder if there wasn't an issue with the Franchisee and they didn't have anyone else able to step up and take over and didn't want to deal with the stores themselves.

seems to be weird timing since the three in DFW closed just a month before.. i think it's more corporate expanded too quickly, or didn't set franchises up correctly

brunnesa
04-03-2019, 08:49 AM
The first casualty of the Chicken Wars.

Sad, because I thought their chicken had good flavor. The one chicken place I will not go back to is Canes. Without the sauce, the chicken has no flavor. Food should not require a sauce to be good.

BBatesokc
04-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Went when they first opened in Edmond at Bryant Square. Went maybe four times since - with the most recent being two Saturday's ago.

Always liked the place. Didn't think their chicken was necessarily 'better' than anyone else's - but I liked that they had a lot of options and really good sides. Plus, the place was nice and clean and the staff was always really friendly.

I like the chicken better at Chick-Fil-A, but not necessarily anything else. The service between the two seemed about equal IMO. I think PDQ was WAY better than Cane's. I also probably like KFC's chicken over PDQ, but PDQ's sides are far superior IMO.

All in all, I'd have rather seen PDQ stay. It just never fell into our regular rotation.

SEMIweather
04-03-2019, 08:17 PM
I just don't think this chain was doing anything to differentiate themselves from Cane's, Slim Chickens, or Zaxby's...and since those three places were first to the market, it was always going to be tough for them to establish a foothold.

GoOKC1991
04-04-2019, 07:55 AM
I would rank them as: 1. Cane’s, 2, Chick-Fil-A, 3, Zaxby’s, 4. Golden Chick, 5. Chicken Express.

Edit: Forgot slim’s, it’s right up there with Zaxby’s.

cappa
04-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Sad, because I thought their chicken had good flavor. The one chicken place I will not go back to is Canes. Without the sauce, the chicken has no flavor. Food should not require a sauce to be good.

But that sauce...... it's so good though. I don't see the problem with the chicken if chicken + sauce = good. Do you put barbecue sauce on your barbecue or just have dry meat?

Cane's forever and I will die on this hill!!!!

jbkrems
04-04-2019, 09:23 AM
The only issue I have with Cane's is that they do not have BBQ sauce for dipping purposes. I do not like Cane's sauce. However, dipping Cane's chicken strips in Chick Fil A BBQ sauce is divine.

BoulderSooner
04-04-2019, 09:24 AM
But that sauce...... it's so good though. I don't see the problem with the chicken if chicken + sauce = good. Do you put barbecue sauce on your barbecue or just have dry meat?

i don't put bbq sauce on my ribs or brisket and neither are "dry"

jedicurt
04-04-2019, 09:30 AM

lol. i was thinking the exact same thing

brunnesa
04-04-2019, 09:53 AM

I never eat sauce on anything. The BBQ that I make needs no sauce. If it needs sauce, then it is not worth eating in my opinion.

Jersey Boss
04-04-2019, 10:23 AM

I think cappa was referencing fried chicken, not ribs or brisket.

cappa
04-04-2019, 11:55 AM
I've hit a nerve in this thread lol. I don't mean dry as in doubleplusungood I just mean sauceless. I think sauce can elevate food and shouldn't be seen as a crutch or requirement but that's just my view. Not to say that everything is better with sauce, but Cane's sure is.

Zorba
04-11-2019, 11:37 PM
I liked PDQ and went quite a bit when it was nice enough to sit outside. However, after they changed their menu like 6 months ago, we stopped going. I liked that they had good grilled chicken and healthy sides. All the other chicken places is just generic fried greasy chicken strips. I thought the one in Edmond stayed rather busy when I was around it.

Zorba
04-11-2019, 11:38 PM
I've hit a nerve in this thread lol. I don't mean dry as in doubleplusungood I just mean sauceless. I think sauce can elevate food and shouldn't be seen as a crutch or requirement but that's just my view. Not to say that everything is better with sauce, but Cane's sure is.

The only sauce there is is BBQ, and Cane's doesn't have it. The one and only thing that BBQ sauce shoudn't be put on is good BBQ.

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2019, 12:51 AM
I liked PDQ and went quite a bit when it was nice enough to sit outside. However, after they changed their menu like 6 months ago, we stopped going. I liked that they had good grilled chicken and healthy sides. All the other chicken places is just generic fried greasy chicken strips. I thought the one in Edmond stayed rather busy when I was around it.
I agree. When they first opened I happened to be in town and tried them and I loved it. Then I noticed last time I went they changed. I didn’t care for it and gave them two more tries and same thing.

Debzkidz
04-14-2019, 10:02 AM
When they first opened they were pretty good. We liked a grilled chicken sandwich, the Hawaiian or something like that. Then I got one that had something wrong with the chicken. A weird rubbery, almost squeaky feeling when you bit into it. I threw it away. Tried a different sandwich the next time with the same results. This time my husbands was the same way. He complained and they seemed to know what was wrong, apologized and gave us our some coupons for free meals. We waited for a couple of months and tried again. It was better, but then they changed the menu and took off what we liked. Never went back after that.
I wasn’t surprised when I heard they closed. There never seemed to be anyone at the one on 2nd in Edmond. Driving by it looked like they had business, but then sitting on the patio at Torchys one day we realized that all the cars in the PDQ parking lot were not people going to PDQ. They were all going to Torchys.

BlackmoreRulz
04-14-2019, 03:42 PM
I wish Torchy's would take over that building, parking is hell at Torchy's.

MagzOK
04-14-2019, 04:30 PM
I wish Torchy's would take over that building, parking is hell at Torchy's.

There's quite a bit of parking around the building Torchy's is in, actually. However, what I don't like is the drive-thru line for Starbucks blocks the front of Torchy's and screws up the traffic flow.

DowntownMan
04-14-2019, 05:43 PM
There's quite a bit of parking around the building Torchy's is in, actually. However, what I don't like is the drive-thru line for Starbucks blocks the front of Torchy's and screws up the traffic flow.

YÂ’all are talking about different locations I think

First post was about edmond. The Starbucks issue is quail springs

POKEY
10-21-2020, 11:11 AM
The store at Quail Springs uncovered the front sign on the building. Does anyone have any new news?

MagzOK
09-27-2021, 11:56 AM
Construction crews are currently working today at the old PDQ Chicken location along Penn in the Quail Springs area. They're up on the roof and they're replacing windows.

rizzo
09-29-2021, 06:45 PM
Probably another coffee joint.