View Full Version : Applebee's

Bill Robertson
10-05-2016, 11:56 AM
No suprise as they had probably the slowest business of anyone on Memorial. But I always wondered why?

barrettd
10-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Because it's Applebees? :)

HangryHippo
10-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Ding, ding, ding!

SoonerDave
10-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Not necessarily. I think Applebees is one of those chains where quality varies too widely from location to location. The location in Moore has been pretty consistent for us, and its a decent family alternative for us, but some other locations are just awful - slow, food not cooked right, you name it. That's all QC in my book.

jbkrems
10-05-2016, 03:32 PM
I completely agree with this. I have seen the same issues in Tulsa area Applebee stores. The newest one in Broken Arrow is great... and after a while they closed the old one. My guess is the Memorial Road store has been under-performing for some time due to bad management, personnel issues, etc. That's usually how it goes. The one in Edmond on Broadway Extension has historically had better food and service, comparatively, and the same can be said for the NW Expressway and I-40/MacArthur locations.

rte66man
10-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Having been a regular patron of both the Memorial and the NW Expy Applebees, I can say the biggest reason for choosing Applebees was the location. If we went as far north as Memorial, we rarely went to that Applebees because there were so many better choices. The one on NW Expressway doesn't have near the competition (I don't consider Rib Crib to be competition) and it was more convenient as our group was coming in from varied addresses We always had good service at both locations.

barrettd
10-06-2016, 07:04 AM
Obviously, I was poking a bit of fun, but I really do think there are far more choices for families these days. I'm a bit surprised restaurants like Applebee's are even still around. I've not been to one in years, and, while the food was consistent, it was still very chainy. I feel the same way about Texas Roadhouse, Ihop, etc. To each their own, of course, but with so many choices, especially on Memorial, their closure doesn't surprise me.

Bullbear
10-06-2016, 09:30 AM
I am probably not the demographic they are targeting, however If I recall correctly I have ate at Applebee's maybe 5 times in my life. was never my choice and while it wasn't horrible it never made me want to suggest it for future dining. and that location I can see struggling. there are too many better choices.

SoonerDave
10-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Obviously, I was poking a bit of fun, but I really do think there are far more choices for families these days. I'm a bit surprised restaurants like Applebee's are even still around. I've not been to one in years, and, while the food was consistent, it was still very chainy. I feel the same way about Texas Roadhouse, Ihop, etc. To each their own, of course, but with so many choices, especially on Memorial, their closure doesn't surprise me.

Now I'll disagree with you there on Texas Roadhouse. That it's a chain doesn't bother me in the slightest. For me, they are one of the most consistent steakhouses in town. The taste of the food or the quality of the cook isn't, to me, affected by its chain status. The TRH at the old Crossroads is a superbly consistent place and has been for years. We always enjoy it.

Roger S
10-06-2016, 10:00 AM
The TRH at the old Crossroads is a superbly consistent place and has been for years. We always enjoy it.

I was served the most interestingly cooked steak at that TRH one time... It's the only steak I've ever been served that consisted of every doneness.... It started out well done on one side and by the time I got to the bone it was rare.... It was the most amazing feat of steak cooking I have ever seen and I wasn't sure whether to be appalled or impressed at the skill level required to accomplish such a feat.

Bill Robertson
10-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Now I'll disagree with you there on Texas Roadhouse. That it's a chain doesn't bother me in the slightest. For me, they are one of the most consistent steakhouses in town. The taste of the food or the quality of the cook isn't, to me, affected by its chain status. The TRH at the old Crossroads is a superbly consistent place and has been for years. We always enjoy it.As do a lot of people. The TRH om Memorial has become a regular stop the past couple of months. Between 5 and 8 PM any day of the week you are in for a wait.

jbkrems
10-06-2016, 11:20 AM
I find that TRH can vary in consistency from place to place as well. The one in Tulsa/Broken Arrow is great. My girlfriend and I have stopped in for a casual dinner after work many times. They have great service and great food at that location. Unfortunately, the Memorial Rd location here in OKC just doesn't cut it, and has poorer service and food comparatively.

barrettd
10-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Now I'll disagree with you there on Texas Roadhouse. That it's a chain doesn't bother me in the slightest. For me, they are one of the most consistent steakhouses in town. The taste of the food or the quality of the cook isn't, to me, affected by its chain status. The TRH at the old Crossroads is a superbly consistent place and has been for years. We always enjoy it.

I meant no offense, of course. TRH just isn't that terrific, to me, that I'd want to stand around for an hour or so to get a table. Look at the line outside Olive Garden on a Saturday night and you'll see the same thing. Consistency, in my opinion, doesn't always mean quality. If the food were better, I'd go there. That's the bottom line to me. I really have nothing against chains, per se, but I have so few opportunities to go out with my wife, for example, and I wouldn't waste a date night at TRH, unless we sat at the bar eating their rolls with that sweet butter. Those are delicious!

Rock and Brews is a chain I frequent regularly, because their beer selection is terrific, and all the food I've had there has been consistently good. I just think most non-chains have better quality food than chains, at least, around the metro. That's just my opinion, of course. I would never judge anyone for loving a chain restaurant. Life is short, eat what makes you happy!

barrettd
10-06-2016, 12:29 PM
As do a lot of people. The TRH om Memorial has become a regular stop the past couple of months. Between 5 and 8 PM any day of the week you are in for a wait.

Which brings up another question I have...Why do people insist on standing in lines for hours for dinner around here? There are so many choices, I just have never understood waiting for an hour to eat, unless it's some super-exclusive spot (I'd still have a real hard time being convinced to stand in line). I guess some of these places, like TRH, are destinations for out-of-towners, and I can understand that. Folks in Okarche may think I'm an idiot for standing in line for a table at Eischen's.

Bullbear
10-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Which brings up another question I have...Why do people insist on standing in lines for hours for dinner around here? There are so many choices, I just have never understood waiting for an hour to eat, unless it's some super-exclusive spot (I'd still have a real hard time being convinced to stand in line). I guess some of these places, like TRH, are destinations for out-of-towners, and I can understand that. Folks in Okarche may think I'm an idiot for standing in line for a table at Eischen's.

I agree.. like cheesecake factory.. WHY!!!.. just go somewhere else.

Roger S
10-06-2016, 12:47 PM
I agree.. like cheesecake factory.. WHY!!!.. just go somewhere else.

I've waited in line at The Cheesecake Factory (not by choice) and I've waited in a line at McDonald's..... McDonald's was better! ;)

Bill Robertson
10-06-2016, 01:10 PM
I agree also. I pretty much won't wait. However, we go to the bar areas which is my preference anyway. Very rarely are there not two seats empty anywhere we go.

Sancho
10-06-2016, 03:28 PM

I might think you are an idiot for driving to Okarche just for some average chicken and okra...which you can get anywhere lol

rezman
10-06-2016, 06:20 PM
I stop in at the Schlozky's next door for lunch now and then, and each time, most of the cars in Applebee's parking lot were Schlotzky's customers who parked there and walked over.

barrettd
10-06-2016, 07:32 PM
I might think you are an idiot for driving to Okarche just for some average chicken and okra...which you can get anywhere lol

To each his own. It's my favorite fried chicken, plus the drive out there makes it kind of a special trip for the kids, when we take them. I've tried a lot of chicken around here, and none is better, to me, than Eischen's.

gopokes88
10-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I've waited an hour and a half at republic before, but there was a thunder game was and there were a few spots to have a beer during the wait. I don't really mind the wait if there's some entertainment or a cool bar to wait at.

Bunty
10-06-2016, 08:29 PM
It's easier to understand the waiting in Stillwater. Not many choices. I've had to wait for a table at Olive Garden before, even though it was 8:30. One needs to get to Texas Roadhouse by 6pm to be sure of no wait. There's nothing else like Texas Roadhouse in town.

barrettd
10-07-2016, 07:02 AM
I've waited an hour and a half at republic before, but there was a thunder game was and there were a few spots to have a beer during the wait. I don't really mind the wait if there's some entertainment or a cool bar to wait at.

I agree, I don't mind waiting if there's a bar. Republic is always packed, it seems, when I visit. Looking forward to the new location opening up.

Filthy
10-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Hearing this news, just bums me out. This particular AppleBee's location, was my "Go-To" for special occasion dining, as well as an easy pick for hosting out of town guests/business clients visiting OKC for the very first time. It continues to be more and more challenging each and every day, to find good/quality food here in OKC.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the building/current space? I can't help but to think, that it would be an awesome location for a Chili's. (fingers crossed)

Roger S
10-07-2016, 01:53 PM
It continues to be more and more challenging each and every day, to find good/quality food here in OKC.

I thought you were being sarcastic until you made the Chili's comment..... The dining scene in OKC is better now than I can ever remember it being. The reason you aren't finding gooq/quality food is because you're hanging out at crappy national chains.... I'd put any Hal Smith or Good Egg restaurant over an Applebee's/Chili's and there are several smaller restaurateurs operating here now that I would choose over those two groups.

rte66man
10-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Hearing this news, just bums me out. This particular AppleBee's location, was my "Go-To" for special occasion dining, as well as an easy pick for hosting out of town guests/business clients visiting OKC for the very first time. It continues to be more and more challenging each and every day, to find good/quality food here in OKC.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the building/current space? I can't help but to think, that it would be an awesome location for a Chili's. (fingers crossed)

Seeing as there already is a Chilis on Memorial ( a mile west at Portland), I would seriously doubt it.

Still holding out for PAPPADEAUX

jbkrems
10-07-2016, 03:41 PM
It won't be a Chili's since the nearest one is literally down the street. My recommendation is take your out of town business guests over to BJs. More selection there.

Plutonic Panda
10-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Seeing as there already is a Chilis on Memorial ( a mile west at Portland), I would seriously doubt it.

Still holding out for PAPPADEAUXThey have one in Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Phoenix(Yes I drive all the way to Phoenix on occasion for Pappas), and one in Albuquerque. I asked if they are going to OKC and they liked my comment. Not sure what that means.

Bill Robertson
10-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Does anyone know what the plans are for the building/current space? I can't help but to think, that it would be an awesome location for a Chili's. (fingers crossed)There's a real estate sign in front so I assume there are no plans.

Bunty
10-07-2016, 05:48 PM
I heard Applebee's has good French onion soup.

Filthy
10-07-2016, 07:09 PM
I'd put any Hal Smith or Good Egg restaurant over an Applebee's/Chili's and there are several smaller restaurateurs operating here now that I would choose over those two groups.

That's a pretty bold statement, as I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more quality selection than an establishment like Chilis. I mean, with the ability to offer you a savory Southwestern Egg Roll, with green dipping sauce for a pre dinner appetizer, and then compliment that with what some say might be the best "hand crafted" bacon burger offered in the metro. It's really unparalleled. But to each his own. (As I'm not one to cast judgement upon others.)

jbkrems
10-07-2016, 07:49 PM
I would not be surprised if the pad that Applebee's sat on gets torn down and turned into clothing retail. There is something about restaurants and the Courtyard Marriott hotel which is right there... the upscale restaurant which used to be in the hotel closed several years ago, and now Applebee's bit the dust. Perhaps the location is cursed so far as restaurants are concerned.

rezman
10-08-2016, 02:22 PM
I like Chilli's, though I don't go there very often. I really like their Honey Chipolte Chicken Crispers. They're dee-licious, and something I haven't seen anywhere else. Throw in their loaded mash potatos and cinnimon apples, and you have a pretty good meal.

MikeLucky
10-10-2016, 08:21 PM

That's a pretty bold statement, as I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more quality selection than an establishment like Chilis. I mean, with the ability to offer you a savory Southwestern Egg Roll, with green dipping sauce for a pre dinner appetizer, and then compliment that with what some say might be the best "hand crafted" bacon burger offered in the metro. It's really unparalleled. But to each his own. (As I'm not one to cast judgement upon others.)

Okay please tell me this is just you being funny... I seriously hope you don't really take out-of-town visitors to Applebee's... lol. They probably think OKC is pretty lame if Applebee's or Chili's is a "go-to" choice. Lol

rte66man
10-11-2016, 05:39 AM
That's a pretty bold statement, as I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more quality selection than an establishment like Chilis. I mean, with the ability to offer you a savory Southwestern Egg Roll, with green dipping sauce for a pre dinner appetizer, and then complement that with what some say might be the best "hand crafted" bacon burger offered in the metro. It's really unparalleled. But to each his own. (As I'm not one to cast judgement upon others.)

ftfy

rte66man
10-11-2016, 05:44 AM
I like Chili's, though I don't go there very often. I really like their Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers. They're dee-licious, and something I haven't seen anywhere else. Throw in their loaded mash potatoes and cinnamon apples, and you have a pretty good meal.

FTFY. Like Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory with certain things, I go totally ape when I see "chipolte". It is and has always been "chipotle" and is pronounced "Chih-po(with a long 'o' sound)-tlee" not "Chi-pol-tee".

Whew, now I feel much better.......

jccouger
10-11-2016, 08:15 AM
This thread is half people being sarcastic, and half people being serious not realizing people are being sarcastic.
Then the grammer police just checked in & I'm about to lose my ****.

I actually went to Applebees a few days ago because my sister bought me a gift card for some reason. They've done a lot of remodeling but wow that food is bad. They have no idea what they want to be, a family restaurant or a bar. Though neither of their attempts make for a "fun" atmosphere. Its all just so blah. Either way its amazing they have survived this long & there was actually quite a few people there when I went.

MagzOK
10-11-2016, 08:51 AM
This was about 15 years ago when a young cousin of mine worked at Chilis, but he said back in the kitchen everything was precooked and sent to the individual locations. All the "cooks" would do is grab the precooked meal which was sealed in vacuum-sealed bags, then boil them for a predetermined amount of time. They would then cut open the water-heated meal and pour on plate and make it pretty. He also said that the queso was made using cheese powder with the processed meat and water. I was shocked! Not sure if this is how they do it now, but.....

rezman
10-11-2016, 09:24 AM
FTFY. Like Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory with certain things, I go totally ape when I see "chipolte". It is and has always been "chipotle" and is pronounced "Chih-po(with a long 'o' sound)-tlee" not "Chi-pol-tee".

Whew, now I feel much better.......

Uh-oh ... spelling patrol! .. somebody call a whaaaaaambulance!

rte66man
10-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Nah, just a combination of severe OCD and a desire to practice my typing skills.............

Dustin
10-12-2016, 08:35 AM
I've only been to Applebee's twice and neither time was memorable or enjoyable. Not surprised it closed.

Pete
04-10-2017, 08:01 AM
This will now be Mama Rita's:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43223&p=990587#post990587

Pete
06-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Applebee's just closed the location at 4825 NW Expressway.

This was the one near Hideaway on the north side of the road between Meridian and MacArthur.

OKCRealtor
06-21-2018, 11:15 AM
They should close them all, we would all be better off!

stile99
06-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Personally, I could not care less if someone does or does not like their food. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and for every wag who will comment that their food was boring, or chain, or whatever, there's someone who eats there on the reg. That said, I most certainly am not sanguine about so many people suddenly losing their income and cannot for the life of me fathom how "we would all be better off" if even more did so. Especially the suddenly unemployed. If you think you have a better business model and can make a go of it, looks like there's a building available on NW Expressway. In between two hotels, even!

It does make one wonder though...whenever I'm on NW Expressway it doesn't seem like there is less traffic, but restaurants are closing along there. Since we still haven't figured out how to blame Amazon for the realty industry's problems, where else should we look? Maybe realtors who think an empty building is better than an ongoing business share a portion of the blame?

Urbanized
06-21-2018, 03:19 PM
...It does make one wonder though...whenever I'm on NW Expressway it doesn't seem like there is less traffic, but restaurants are closing along there. Since we still haven't figured out how to blame Amazon for the realty industry's problems, where else should we look? Maybe realtors who think an empty building is better than an ongoing business share a portion of the blame?

Besides the public's changing tastes veering away from restaurants like Applebee's (this is happening everywhere in the U.S. and is also driven in part by generational changes), I would tend to blame bad land use policy for the past couple of generations. Donut development creates pockets of decline as the population surges towards the fringe. When my Dad moved to Surrey Hills in the early nineties there were very few options past about Rockwell, and they mostly went down NW Expressway to eat. These days they are more likely to hop on the turnpike and go to one of the many places that have appeared on that corridor, even as far down as Chisholm Creek. Especially since the commuter traffic up NW Expressway is so heavy (again driven by more people living further out). People in far NW OKC and even Edmond were a major part of the ecosystem for businesses on Northwest Expressway, and now there are hundreds of new options either closer or more convenient.

Also for the sake of clarity I know that your question was more rhetorical in nature and targeted more as a reply than information seeking.

jn1780
06-21-2018, 03:25 PM
It's like the Sears of restaurants: Dying off slowly, of course I'm sure the applebees in smaller towns will last awhile.

SEMIweather
06-21-2018, 09:34 PM
It does make one wonder though...whenever I'm on NW Expressway it doesn't seem like there is less traffic, but restaurants are closing along there. Since we still haven't figured out how to blame Amazon for the realty industry's problems, where else should we look? Maybe realtors who think an empty building is better than an ongoing business share a portion of the blame?

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that most people traveling on NW Expressway are just looking to get from one place to another. The design of the highway does not lend itself to people making impromptu stops.

Roger S
06-22-2018, 07:19 AM
It's like the Sears of restaurants: Dying off slowly, of course I'm sure the applebees in smaller towns will last awhile.

The one in Ardmore always appears to be pretty busy in the evenings even with the locally owned, and popular, Two Frogs beside it serving a similar menu.

Pete
06-22-2018, 11:45 AM
You can't add hundreds and hundreds of new restaurants and bars in a city the size of OKC and not have some casualties.

Think about all the new options that weren't available in 1998 when this was built.

Still, that was a 20-year run.

whorton
07-01-2018, 01:39 AM
That's a pretty bold statement, as I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more quality selection than an establishment like Chilis.

Yes, but try asking for an off the menu drink like a sidecar. . .

TheirTheir
07-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Broadway location has been demolished

SoonerDave
07-20-2018, 11:08 AM

While I won't disagree that Applebee's isnt in great shape, I'm not sure a comparison to a walking retail corpse is warranted. Yet. Sears knows it's headed for the dustbin. Applebee's still holds out moderately rational hope they can figure a way through.

MaryB
07-25-2018, 06:48 AM
Construction has begun at the Applebee's location on Broadway. Looks like it's going to be a $3 car wash. (Just what we need! ha!)