View Full Version : Chuck Fisher leaving Channel 9

Tydude
09-12-2016, 01:55 PM
last night was Chuck last day at News 9. His Contract was expired but the news station decided not to renew his contract. which means that he was let go from the station.

OKCisOK4me
09-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks for replying in kind. That sucks. I really enjoyed his work. Makes me think there were some beliefs that weren't aligned. Best of luck to Chuck!

yukong
09-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks for replying in kind. That sucks. I really enjoyed his work. Makes me think there were some beliefs that weren't aligned. Best of luck to Chuck!

No one lasts long under Deano.

rte66man
09-14-2016, 09:22 PM
No one lasts long under Deano.

+1

SoonerQueen
09-20-2016, 05:57 PM
I just don't think they picked up his contract. I really liked him.

SoonerDave
09-21-2016, 07:39 AM
I just don't think they picked up his contract. I really liked him.

I did too, but I've always wondered how they supported so many sports reporters given how little time local TV devotes to sports these days...and locally produced TV (news in particular) is feeling more and more pressure to generate revenue for local stations as more people go to streamed content not routed through a traditional local TV station. Unless they bring in someone new, you'd have to wonder if it was a cost-cutting issue.

MagzOK
09-21-2016, 07:56 AM
I hardly watch the news anymore anyway. With all this immediate access to newsworthy events on our phones and computers and emails and various media outlets, I just can't seem to sit for 30 minutes and watch a newscast. Even as it is now up until recently I would tune in at about 16 minutes after the hour to catch the weather, but now every meteorologist posts a Facebook weather segment that I just watch there now. Just like the newspaper, I think local news as we know it is on the decline.

HangryHippo
09-21-2016, 08:05 AM
I hardly watch the news anymore anyway. With all this immediate access to newsworthy events on our phones and computers and emails and various media outlets, I just can't seem to sit for 30 minutes and watch a newscast. Even as it is now up until recently I would tune in at about 16 minutes after the hour to catch the weather, but now every meteorologist posts a Facebook weather segment that I just watch there now. Just like the newspaper, I think local news as we know it is on the decline.

I'm with you. I get updates throughout the day so when the news comes on in the evening, I've already read about most of it. And it's just depressing bullsh*t about murders or politics mostly. I want the weather, but as you said, I can check it online at any time and find what I'm after. And as Dave said earlier, they don't spend that much time on local sports anymore so what's left?

SoonerDave
09-21-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm with you. I get updates throughout the day so when the news comes on in the evening, I've already read about most of it. And it's just depressing bullsh*t about murders or politics mostly. I want the weather, but as you said, I can check it online at any time and find what I'm after. And as Dave said earlier, they don't spend that much time on local sports anymore so what's left?

I look at local news now and realize most of the younger generation doesn't even realize that local news isn't even *remotely* "news" compared to 20 or 30 years ago. We had real, investigative journalism, hard news reporting, and local journalists uncovered real corruption and real problems. That's all been replaced by happy talk and "5 ways you could save money by using discount toothpaste!"

I don't even know how many people here remember when local journos uncovered the corporation commission scandal, the Oklahoma Industries Authority scandal with GM, Lloyd Rader's corruption at DHS, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. And people wonder why local news is dying...local news died before the viewers did. When the analysts and consultants came in and started telling people to "cute up," real news coverage died.

HangryHippo
09-21-2016, 08:59 AM
I look at local news now and realize most of the younger generation doesn't even realize that local news isn't even *remotely* "news" compared to 20 or 30 years ago. We had real, investigative journalism, hard news reporting, and local journalists uncovered real corruption and real problems. That's all been replaced by happy talk and "5 ways you could save money by using discount toothpaste!"

I don't even know how many people here remember when local journos uncovered the corporation commission scandal, the Oklahoma Industries Authority scandal with GM, Lloyd Rader's corruption at DHS, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. And people wonder why local news is dying...local news died before the viewers did. When the analysts and consultants came in and started telling people to "cute up," real news coverage died.

I'm too young to remember all of that, but that is exactly what I wish news still was. It's embarrassing what it has become.

Tritone
09-28-2016, 06:03 PM
"Cute up." I like that term. It fits pretty well.