View Full Version : Big 12 Football 2016

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ljbab728
06-02-2016, 08:32 PM
This is a good way to start this discussion because it will have a major impact on the Big 12 for the next two years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15912568/big-12-reversal-makes-baker-mayfield-eligible-oklahoma-sooners-2017

In a reversal from the day before, the Big 12 approved a rule proposal Thursday that will make quarterback Baker Mayfield eligible at Oklahoma for the 2017 season.

Bill Robertson
06-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Good for Baker! BOOMER SOONER

Bunty
06-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Meanwhile, many OU fans want to be through with the Big 12. http://newsok.com/article/5501872?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NIC-Facebook

Jersey Boss
06-03-2016, 09:49 AM
This is a good way to start this discussion because it will have a major impact on the Big 12 for the next two years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15912568/big-12-reversal-makes-baker-mayfield-eligible-oklahoma-sooners-2017

Based on the fact that Mayfield is being mentioned as a possible Heisman candidate, why would he hang around Norman for another year and forsake playing on Sunday?

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Based on the fact that Mayfield is being mentioned as a possible Heisman candidate, why would he hang around Norman for another year and forsake playing on Sunday?

From all accounts, he's not expected to ever be a high draft pick. However, if anyone is willing to take the risk and bet on himself, it's Mayfield.

Bill Robertson
06-03-2016, 10:31 AM
But many OU fans want to be through with the Big 12. http://newsok.com/article/5501872?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NIC-FacebookI'm one of them. I think there will be 4 conferences in the not too distant future. They will be the PAC, Big 10, SEC and ?. The Big 12 is doing nothing to position itself to be the 4th conference so we need to get out before the implosion.

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 11:18 AM
My preference will always be to find a way to make the Big 12 work. Currently, it's easy for OU fans to travel to games in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. The grass is always greener on the other side. I think the Big 10 would be a disaster. Aside from potentially harming OU's recruiting base in Texas, are people going to be excited to for football games at Minnesota, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, etc.? OU could only be playing Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State 2 out of every 4 years and those games are hard for fans to make. A similar problem comes up with all other conferences. A PAC-16 could potentially form a western division with some Big 12 schools + the two Arizona schools, but I would still prefer the Big 12. The SEC obviously gets OU into the best conference in the country (and is probably the best option overall), but I'd still rather keep our ties to traditional and local rivals. Again, the grass is always greener on the other side and joining a far-flung conference brings a lot of negatives, particularly for fans.

For the Big 12 to work I think Boren may need to seriously pursue other conference possibilities and then leverage the threat of leaving to make changes like expansion (I'm personally for adding Cincy and BYU or UConn) and a conference TV network. He was able to force a re-vote on walk-on/Mayfield issue. Maybe this is the start of Boren flexing his muscles.

SoonerDave
06-03-2016, 12:06 PM
There was one reporter who tweeted out something I thought was just some Boren effort at sarcasm...in a nutshell, someone asked him about the "Mayfield Rule" revote and OU's future in the conference, and Boren said "He goes, we go."

That said, I just don't have any sense of optimism about OU's future in the Big 12, or the Big 12 as a conference. It's withering on the vine, and I'm not at all sure the BOR haven't reigned in Boren on his saber-rattling with regard to absolute expansion and absolute creation of a B12 network. There's just no doubt in my mind there is a ton going on behind the scenes we just don't know about - even down at Texas, especially considering Red McCombs (one of UT's BMD's) called Perrin on the carpet about being "dead wrong" on expansion.

Boren was unusually reserved in his comments yesterday. I think that belies one of two extremes - no middle ground. Either he really is getting consideration from the relevant parties about the issues he's put out there for the last several months, and as such is treading lightly for now, OR he's been reigned in by the OU BOR. I just don't see a middle ground.

The problem with pursuing a B12 future from a fan perspective is that, yes, its easy to get up to Lawrence or Manhattan for a game, but the problem is that if the Big 12 stands pat, CFB will evolve around it. I think the four-region/64-team structure (or some slight variation thereof) will emerge. OU may or may not have a later, ongoing football relationship with either or both Kansas schools (or any other in the region). Exactly how that future looks is pretty murky right now, and if anyone can tell you they know how its going to turn out, I'd also like to talk to you about buying a bridge in Brooklyn.

All this talk about the absolutism of GOR's and agreements completely ignores the reality that lawers are paid to break these "iron clad" agreements each and every day of the year and twice on Sunday. Big, hairy contract "penalties" are written up to make the prospect of breaking them unpleasant and inherently a thing to be avoided, but generally are negotiated away for some sort of mutual compensation when intractable differences are at hand.

A piece I read yesterday (regrettably, I have no link) was very thoughtful on this issue. It talked about how these conference arrangements are purposely written very loosely to afford "wiggle room" and negotiated exits, and the big legal donnybrook from a year or two ago was a case in point for the exception. I still maintain that the GOR isn't nearly as intractable as some members of the media insist. Yes, its a big obstacle, the 800 lb GORilla, but it isn't insurmountable. Few things legally are, like "iron clad" prenups. They are except to the extent they aren't.

In my heart of hearts, I genuinely and honestly believe OU has a legal nuclear strategy in its hip pocket, and I believe that's in the form of a lawsuit against UT in particular and the B12 in general for a breach of fiduciary duty. And I think the argument goes like this: UT, by virtue of it having the LHN, diminishes/dilutes the value of OU's (and everyone else's) broadcast rights. If Texas refuses to negotiate the LHN away (as a Big 12 network or some other arbitrary entity, they are breaching their fiduciary duty to every other member of the Big 12 not to harm any other member. As compensation, OU wants its GOR back from the B12. OU can even argue UT is harming by virtue of its refusal to expand - every piece of consultant data showing the Big 12's network value increases via expansion is a penny in OU's pot in that regard.

Would OU really go the nuclear route? In just the right circumstances, I think they would. The Big 12 can only get so much stronger. OU can get stronger financially much more quickly in another conference, and I believe an informal exit strategy to another conference is already in place. It has to be unofficial, because OU must demonstrate "clean hands" in its efforts to strengthen the Big12 before going nuclear.

I don't like much of OU's present options. We're hamstrung in a lame duck conference, tethered broadly to Texas' whims - and we have no one but ourselves to blame. I knew from the day the Big 12 was formed that, eventually, we'd live to regret it, and sure enough, we do. We can't recapture the past, but I sure think we can construct a better future. And I'm hoping Boren et al can figure out how to do it.

The path ahead isn't clear or guaranteed, no matter which choice we make. I just have an increasingly tough time seeing the Big 12 as the best of all possible worlds, yet it seems tougher still to see a clear way out. Ugh.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2016, 01:25 PM
I'm one of them. I think there will be 4 conferences in the not too distant future. They will be the PAC, Big 10, SEC and ?. The Big 12 is doing nothing to position itself to be the 4th conference so we need to get out before the implosion.

Right now there is not much difference between the Big 12 and ACC in football, and the tie would go to the ACC based on BB. Game over. OU would do themselves and their fans a favor by joining the SEC.

ljbab728
06-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Another major announcement today by the Big 12.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15930892/big-12-unanimously-votes-bring-back-conference-title-game-2017

RVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference unanimously voted Friday to bring back a conference championship game.

The conference will implement a championship game for 2017.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Oklahoma and Texas A&M had agreed to allow the Longhorn Network in exchange for the $20 million guarantees in 2010, but in 2011, the reality of the network proved unacceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Big_12_Conference

OU endorses unequal sharing of revenue so I see very little to stand on in D-Bo's argument. They had their bite on the apple in 2010 to oppose it and now they want a do over. Texas is not going to walk away from 15 million a year, nor do I see OU agreeing to walk away from the 5-6 million a year they get from the SOONER SPORTS Network.

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Right now there is not much difference between the Big 12 and ACC in football, and the tie would go to the ACC based on BB. Game over. OU would do themselves and their fans a favor by joining the SEC.

I think the Big 12 is well ahead of the ACC in football, which is driving all this. I think the demise of the Big 12 on the field is silly and people just keep saying it even though the Big 12 is having fine on the field success. Even in basketball, the Big 12 has more than held it's own in recent years. The Big 12 problem is off the field.

dcsooner
06-03-2016, 03:10 PM

Agree , but b10

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Another assumption that I am not sure is correct is that a lot of people keep implying that Big 12 problems are/will drag OU down. Is there any evidence that this is true? OU athletics are absolutely on fire with two national championships (men's and women's gymnastics) and two final fours (men's basketball, football), and OU softball entering the college world series at #3 just this year. Historically, a lot of programs have succeeded with subpar conferences (e.g., Boise State and TCU in football, Memphis and Gonzaga in basketball), and many did so without the name brand recognition OU has. Again, I don't even concede that the Big 12 is subpar on the field as I see the conference as equal to any non-SEC conference, but I just don't think the OU-has-to-get-out arguments holds even if the Big 12 was inferior. I am not sure the Big 12 has to be good for OU to accomplish it's goals. For example, OU's 2017 football recruiting class is off to the best start it's had in over a decade. OU is currently succeeding, and there is no evidence the Big 12 is having any negative effect on athletics. Better questions might be, why is OU doing so well currently? And, would changing conferences affect that success?

Of course there are lots of other financial issues that fans don't consider about having to fly the track, tennis, softball, baseball, etc. teams to Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin instead of drive to Fort Worth, Stillwater, or Waco on a regular basis. That has to cost a vast amount more in travel expenses.

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Agree , but b10

Have fun watching OU-Rutgers one week and then OU-Minnesota the next week. The Big 10 would result in far more terrible games then have ever existed in the Big 12.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Another major announcement today by the Big 12.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15930892/big-12-unanimously-votes-bring-back-conference-title-game-2017
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/what-you-dont-but-need-to-know-about-big-12-conference-realignment/
During the 15 years the Big 12 did stage a championship game (1996-2010), the Big 12 favorite lost six times (40 percent). That’s the highest failure rate among major conferences. In the combined 120-year history of the old Big Eight and Southwest Conference playing round-robin conference schedules in the wire-service era (1936-95), there were 16 national champions that were either undefeated or one-loss teams. That’s a 13 percent success rate without playing a championship game

Jersey Boss
06-03-2016, 03:21 PM
I think the Big 12 is well ahead of the ACC in football, which is driving all this. I think the demise of the Big 12 on the field is silly and people just keep saying it even though the Big 12 is having fine on the field success. Even in basketball, the Big 12 has more than held it's own in recent years. The Big 12 problem is off the field.

Why do you think this?

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Why do you think this?

I could cite a lot of evidence, but I'd start with the Big 12's fourth place (Baylor) team destroying the ACC's second best team (UNC) without a QB. ;) Clemson is very good, but the Big 12 is far better overall both currently and historically.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2016, 03:32 PM
I could cite a lot of evidence, but I'd start with the Big 12's fourth place (Baylor) team destroying the ACC's second best team (UNC) without a QB. ;) Clemson is very good, but the Big 12 is far better overall both currently and historically.

Historically yeah, currently it's a wash. Although with so much realignment in the last 5 years it is silly to cite historically in the discussion of current leagues. In 2015 season the conferences were 1-1 against each other.

dcsooner
06-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Have fun watching OU-Rutgers one week and then OU-Minnesota the next week. The Big 10 would result in far more terrible games then have ever existed in the Big 12.

Disagree, Kansas , Iowa St, Ok St, WV Tx Tech are no better

Jersey Boss
06-03-2016, 03:42 PM

While not an OSU fan, I would disagree in the strongest terms possible in including them with KU, ISU, Tech, and WV. For that matter I would not include WV with the other 3 either.

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 03:50 PM

Okay, here are the bottom 6 teams in the Big 10 in football:

Indiana
Minnesota
Illinois
Maryland
Rutgers
Purdue

Compare that to the bottom 6 teams in the Big 12:

West Virginia
Texas Tech
Texas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Kansas

If you matched those teams up I bet the Big 12 would be favored heavily in every game except Iowa State and Kansas. Aside from Purdue having a few good seasons, none of those Big 10 teams have had any success in the last quarter century. On the flip side, lots of those bottom Big 12 teams have had a lot of success in the last quarter century. On what basis would you argue that the Big 10 is not an overall weaker overall conference? If OU joined the Big 10 then prepare yourself for a lot more really boring, geographically distant, and meaningless games. If we're going to play crap games that I'd rather OU fans can at least drive to them if they so choose. And while the top of the Big 10 might be equivalent to the top of Big 12, you're moving all of OU's games across the continent for a lateral move at best?

BlackmoreRulz
06-03-2016, 04:00 PM
B1G's TV revenue will probably dwarf that of the BigXII in the future with them adding the NJ and DC markets.

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 04:33 PM
B1G's TV revenue will probably dwarf that of the BigXII in the future with them adding the NJ and DC markets.

TV markets only matter if people in the market care. No one in New York cares much about Rutgers football. Same with D.C. These markets are not nearly as valuable as people make them out to be.

OKCRT
06-03-2016, 06:21 PM

You are correct because as of now the networks pkg all the Big teams together. So they still get in the homes in NY and DC. The Big XII will never be able to compete with the BigX and SEC in revenues. No way no how. OU to the sec makes the most sense but Stoops isn't having that. Too much competition. Stoops is after Ws and it's much easier to run through the BigXII than it would be the sec.

Ozmondo
06-04-2016, 08:16 AM

Or OU-Michigan or OU-Ohio State or OU-Michigan State or OU-Nebraska or OU-Penn St or OU-Wisconsin or OU-Iowa.

dankrutka
06-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Or OU-Michigan or OU-Ohio State or OU-Michigan State or OU-Nebraska or OU-Penn St or OU-Wisconsin or OU-Iowa.

Good chance OU would only play several of those teams 2 out of every 4 years. And, yes, I'd much rather have OU against Texas, OSU, TCU, Baylor, Tech, K-State, & West Virginia over OU against OSU, MSU, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Of course, the revival of the OU-Nebraska rivalry would be the biggest benefit, and OU-Ohio State would be great... but none of those other schools are very exciting to me.

And, again, OU fans would barely be at most of those road games as opposed to now when OU fans travel in masses to Big 12 games.

Bill Robertson
06-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Agree completely.

OKCretro
06-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Good chance OU would only play several of those teams 2 out of every 4 years. And, yes, I'd much rather have OU against Texas, OSU, TCU, Baylor, Tech, K-State, & West Virginia over OU against OSU, MSU, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Of course, the revival of the OU-Nebraska rivalry would be the biggest benefit, and OU-Ohio State would be great... but none of those other schools are very exciting to me.

And, again, OU fans would barely be at most of those road games as opposed to now when OU fans travel in masses to Big 12 games.

Whats interesting is that yes OU fans travel in large amounts to road games, other big12 schools do not travel in big packs to Norman. I imagine it has been at least 5 years since a visiting big12 team sold its allotment of tickets. OSU even returns tickets to OU when in Norman. The last couple of teams not to return tickets are Tennessee, ND.
Even with OU and UT's help most Big 12 schools can't even sell out their home games. Some schools don't even bring their band...

jerrywall
06-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Some schools don't even bring their band...

I've noticed this and it floors me. When I was in the OSU marching band in the early 90's, OSU was just out of probation, and having terrible seasons even for them, and the band still went to ALL the away games, even Tulsa. This is with getting golf balls thrown at us during bedlam in Norman. We never DIDN'T go where the football team went. We also provided a pep/jazz squad for all basketball games.

Now, the band is like an afterthought.

MagzOK
06-07-2016, 12:17 PM
This is a good piece written up today:

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Bolt/Bianchi-SEC-should-buy-FSU-Clemson-Texas-and-Oklahoma-45678989

dankrutka
06-07-2016, 12:46 PM
This is a good piece written up today:

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Bolt/Bianchi-SEC-should-buy-FSU-Clemson-Texas-and-Oklahoma-45678989

Adding OU, Texas, FSU, and Clemson would put the SEC so far in front of other conferences it would seem to be almost a problem. The competition would be absurd. Is that many good teams in a top programs in one conference good for those teams or is there some kind of diminishing rewards point where exceptional programs could fail to see success? It's an interesting idea though. Texas is obviously the big problem as they'd have to completely change their mindset and give up the LHN.

If just OU and Texas (or OSU or another Big 12 team) joined the SEC I guess I could actually see a west division working well like this:

West:
OU
Texas (or OSU)
Texas A&M
Missouri
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

OU would be paired with several traditional rivals and the geography wouldn't be bad. Damn. I don't want OU to join the SEC, but this almost makes too much sense.

Jersey Boss
06-07-2016, 02:32 PM
This article was written at the same time that A&M was about to enter the SEC. I imagine that these points would still be relevant today.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/sec-expansion-league-unlikely-to-add-members-in-current-states-081211

4. The SEC is unlikely to add any schools in states where they already have teams.
The reason is simple, the SEC believes it is already doing well enough in those markets. This means all the Florida State, Miami, Clemson and Georgia Tech talk is just that, talk. Similarly for all you Memphis and Louisville fans holding out fond hopes of joining the conference, you have no shot either.

For a school like Florida State -- which has been trying, off and on, to join the SEC since the 1950's -- this exclusion is a big deal. Incidentally, you need to read that link to all the stories about FSU joining the SEC. It shows what a hot-button expansion has been for fifty years.

5. Oklahoma isn’t worth it to the SEC if Oklahoma State has to come as well.
Now, is this playing negotiating hardball or will the SEC truly not take Oklahoma if Oklahoma State is a part of the price?
I'm inclined to believe what I've been told, that Oklahoma State is too steep of a price given the fact that the state of Oklahoma only has 3.8 million people. Effectively the SEC would be doubling down on the second smallest state in the league's footprint. There's a belief that doesn't serve the long-range interests of the league.

So no Clemson, FSU, Texas, or OSU.

OU should either join the SEC, maybe the Big 10, or in the alternative, try to keep the current set up afloat. When the GoR expires for the PAC 12, lure Arizona and Arizona State.

BYU, Houston, et. al will diminish the status of the league to a mid-major, WAC from the late 90's look alike.

dankrutka
06-07-2016, 02:37 PM
So no Clemson, FSU, Texas, or OSU.

Yeah, I don't buy fora second that the SEC wouldn't take Texas (if they were willing to ditch the LHN) because they have A&M in Texas. UT would bring the biggest athletic department and fan base in their conference. I suspect the one-team-per-state expansion policy is either a theory or a general idea, not hard rule. It might not make sense for them to take OU and OSU, but they'd happily add Texas.

Jersey Boss
06-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I don't buy fora second that the SEC wouldn't take Texas (if they were willing to ditch the LHN) because they have A&M in Texas. UT would bring the biggest athletic department and fan base in their conference. I suspect the one-team-per-state expansion policy is either a theory or a general idea, not hard rule. It might not make sense for them to take OU and OSU, but they'd happily add Texas.
Why would Texas ditch 15 million a year and why had the SEC never invited FSU? I think Alabama might take issue with that fan base speculation as well.

dankrutka
06-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Why would Texas ditch 15 million a year and why had the SEC never invited FSU? I think Alabama might take issue with that fan base speculation as well.

Well, if this projections in the article are correct, the SEC network will eventually help pay SEC members 25 million per year more, thus negating the advantages of the LHN. I have no clue if those estimates are correct.

ljbab728
07-19-2016, 08:17 PM
It appears that expansion is becoming a better possibility.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates

The Big 12 Conference announced Tuesday that it has authorized commissioner Bob Bowlsby to begin exploring expansion candidates.

The Big 12 board of directors met in Irving and deliberated on the merits of expansion, hearing presentations from two paid consultants on the issue.

Bowlsby is expected to begin contacting schools to gauge their interest in the Big 12 in the coming days.

dankrutka
07-19-2016, 08:45 PM
There's no ideal scenario, but I'd go with a combo of two of BYU, Cincy, UConn. Houston fits, but I'm not sure why the Big 12 would want to legitimize another Texas school as a competitor.

ljbab728
07-19-2016, 10:32 PM
More on the thought behind going ahead with expansion.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5510288

ljbab728
07-19-2016, 10:40 PM
And interesting comments from Stoops for OU fans.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5510282

When a reporter at Big 12 Media Days asked him how much longer he saw himself coaching, Stoops suggested that question could be put on hold for a decade or so.
“You know, that's something you would is ask a guy that's maybe 65, but I'm only 55,” he said. “So I don't see … that being a question I need to answer. I would like to think I'm in really good health. I take care of myself. I can't wait for this season, much like I couldn't 17 years ago for my first one as a head coach.
“So hopefully I'm going another 10 years or so.”

Bill Robertson
07-20-2016, 06:30 AM
In all fairness he also went on to say that while he sees himself at OU "family situations, ADs, Presidents and other things change" and that sometimes plans change accordingly. I hope nothing changes that makes him think about leaving.

ljbab728
09-01-2016, 11:18 PM
Two of the teams still in the running for inclusion in the Big 12 certainly showed that they are at least the equal of Kansas in their debuts. LOL

Connecticut 24 - Maine 21
Cincinnati 28 - Tennessee Martin 7

ljbab728
09-04-2016, 10:10 PM
After week 1, Texas definitely has the most impressive showing with their overtime win over Notre Dame.

dcsooner
09-04-2016, 10:11 PM
After week 1, Texas definitely has the most impressive showing with their overtime win over Notre Dame.
OU goes at best ,8-4 this season

OkiePoke
09-04-2016, 10:31 PM
That Texas game was awesome all the way through.

jerrywall
09-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Ok, first things first. OSU played like crap, the game should have been in the bag much earlier, and there was some terrible play calling. That being said, WHAT THE HELL WAS UP WITH THAT OFFICIATING?! The MAC officials responsible should be sacked, and honestly I think there should be some formal apology made. Im not foolish enough to hope for a reversal and the original ending to stick, but the NCAA rules are clear as heck on extending play after a penalty, and there's no way it should have happened in this place.

OSU may not have played well enough to deserve the win, but neither did CMU. OSU won.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Just heard that Gundy said he didn't complain because he didn't know the rule. And that the Big 12 had officials in a booth and they could have "demanded" a review right then but they sat quietly.

Laramie
09-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Just heard that Gundy said he didn't complain because he didn't know the rule. And that the Big 12 had officials in a booth and they could have "demanded" a review right then but they sat quietly.

Four seconds to go; the quarterback could have taken a few steps back, fell to the ground and killed those seconds.

Grand Larceny & Highway robbery; the head official needs to go back to college football officiating school--totally made the wrong call and cost OSU the game.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Four seconds to go; the quarterback could have taken a few steps back, fell to the ground and killed those seconds.

Grand Larceny & Highway robbery; the head official needs to go back to college football officiating school--totally made the wrong call and cost OSU the game.I agree completely. But there were others that should have caught it and done something but didn't. Lots of experienced football people screwed up here. This is one of those things that needs to be reviewed over and over and procedures put in place to make sure it doesn't happen.

jerrywall
09-10-2016, 08:04 PM
I agree completely. But there were others that should have caught it and done something but didn't. Lots of experienced football people screwed up here. This is one of those things that needs to be reviewed over and over and procedures put in place to make sure it doesn't happen.

I agree. I was screaming at the TV the moment it happened because I knew they were wrong. And I don't get paid to do this for a living. But, if anyone should have known, more than the coaches and their staff, it would be the officials on the field and the Big 12 folks.

OSUMom
09-10-2016, 08:15 PM
A lot of stupid things had to happen for that ending to take place. Not just the 4th down play. If they had run plays, running plays, each of the prior three downs instead of knees would there even have been a 4th down with 4 secs? One extra sec each down and the most you got is a 4th down with 1 sec. Then the idea to throw, while still in the pocket. Then the refs blowing the call. Then the weird hail Mary play where the defense totally failed.

dankrutka
09-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Pretty amazing that none of the game officials, replay officials, or anyone on OSU's entire coaching staff knew the correct rule for this play. There are just so many rules in football that every other year or so something like this comes up... The officials obviously have to know the rules, but it stinks that no one on OSU's coaching staff did either as they could have brought it to the refs' attention and probably ended the game. Stinks for OSU.

chuck5815
09-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Meh. Everyone knew the rule, but no one knew the rather obscure exception to it. I'm sure there's plenty of other exceptions the officials don't fully understand.

OKCRT
09-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Meh. Everyone knew the rule, but no one knew the rather obscure exception to it. I'm sure there's plenty of other exceptions the officials don't fully understand.

BigXII is not very good again this year it appears. By mid/end of season the sec will be the dominate league again IMO. It's just that they get most of the higher rated players.

dankrutka
09-11-2016, 07:36 PM
BigXII is not very good again this year it appears. By mid/end of season the sec will be the dominate league again IMO. It's just that they get most of the higher rated players.

The Big 12 hasn't looked great, but the SEC has one team ranked in the top 14. Their next two teams ranked (Georgia, Tennessee) almost lost to Nicholls State and Appalachian State at home. Who else besides Alabama do you expect to be so good from the SEC? This SEC probably looks weaker this year than they have in years.

Anonymous.
09-11-2016, 09:31 PM
It is the most OSU thing ever to lose a game that you aren't allowed to lose.

Looking forward to seeing the OU/OhioSU game this coming weekend, this state really needs to see some light at the end of the sports tunnel. Or just get the NBA season here.

OSUMom
09-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Hearing that ALL the officials that worked the OSU game have been suspended for 2 weeks.

ljbab728
09-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Barry Tramel gives a very accurate assessment of the current state if the Big 12.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5517698

Laramie
09-12-2016, 06:47 AM
If you want your team to do well in the ranking system; you should hope that they maintain a good non conference record.

Why, when you play your conference schedule, you want them to have a winning record--a victory over a winning team makes your victory more meaningful.

bombermwc
09-12-2016, 06:59 AM
It is the most OSU thing ever to lose a game that you aren't allowed to lose.

Looking forward to seeing the OU/OhioSU game this coming weekend, this state really needs to see some light at the end of the sports tunnel. Or just get the NBA season here.

Very true. And to be honest, if they had been beating Central Michigan by the number of points they SHOULD have been, it wouldn't have mattered an ounce. But when you manage to stay that close the whole game, it bites you in the butt. OU has had many instances where some terrible offensive plans have caused some major problems at the end of the game, including losses....like going for a 4th down on the wrong side of the 50 when you haven't been able to do crap offensively, or going for the 2 point conversion when the other team's defense has been great. Some of those OU games where the crowd was booing the coaching staff (NOT the players) are so incredibly frustrating (but at least we did toss some coaches after that, but not as many as we should have). And much like so many of the Thunder's early seasons in OKC....you've got to play the ENTIRE game folks. When you dont do that, the other team will capitalize on it and you're shock becomes a loss.