View Full Version : Chicken fried steak

SOONER8693
05-02-2016, 06:35 PM
My oldest daughter, who lives in Wheeling, WV, will be visiting soon, wants chicken fried steak. She doesn't get good BBQ, Mexican food, or most foods we hold dear here in Oklahoma. So, I'm asking the experts on OKCTalk, where would you all take someone for the best chicken fried steak in the metro? Thanks for any help.

Pete
05-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Cheevers! Delicious and such a great place.

If you want quick and inexpensive, I really love Chuck House on NW 10th and Meridian. Lots of people prefer Ann's Chicken Fry on 39th and the decor is cooler (kitschy Route 66 stuff) but I like the food better at Chuck House.

Also, make sure she has fried okra. :)

Dustin
05-02-2016, 07:41 PM
I agree with Cheevers. It's absolutely the best in the city.

If she want's BIG, Toby Keith's in bricktown is a good option and is pretty tasty too.

For nostalgia, Ann's Chicken Fry House.

ctchandler
05-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Kendall's in Noble is really good. I don't think I have had a better cfs in my 72 years. It's about seven miles South of Norman. I have heard the the Miller Grill in Yukon is really good too.
C. T.

Mel
05-02-2016, 08:55 PM
For nostalgia's sake. Could not find the old one. This one was shot at the Mustang location. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pts7KPJHKM

Thomas Vu
05-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Glad somebody mentioned kendalls. Heads up they only take cash/check. Also isn't MIllers gone?

sixkiller
05-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Fry and Eggs at Classen Grill is my favorite CFS in the city. Breakfast/Brunch option.

Roger S
05-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Fry and Eggs at Classen Grill is my favorite CFS in the city. Breakfast/Brunch option.

Yeah... The CFS at Classen Grill is great.

If you don't mind the drive. The CFS at Sonny's in Purcell is pretty decent too.

I also second Chuck House and I still think Del Rancho makes a good CFS as well.

ctchandler
05-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Glad somebody mentioned kendalls. Heads up they only take cash/check. Also isn't MIllers gone?

Thomas,
No, they seem to be thriving. I have heard a lot about them lately on KOKC's "Mitchell in the Morning". Glad you mentioned the cash/check thing. I actually didn't know, I have paid cash when I went to Kendalls.
C. T.

White Peacock
05-03-2016, 10:55 AM
If you want quick and inexpensive, I really love Chuck House on NW 10th and Meridian. Lots of people prefer Ann's Chicken Fry on 39th and the decor is cooler (kitschy Route 66 stuff) but I like the food better at Chuck House.

Both great recommendations. Chuck House looks like a dump, but the food is the battered and fried flesh of the gods. Ann's has breaded & double fried french fries, which is kind of ridiculous but has to be tried. No cards are taken at Ann's (last time I went, it's been a few years), so hit an ATM before you go.

Pete
05-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Chuck House is a little dumpy looking but always clean. It really is my go-to place to get my CFS fix.

tsou89
05-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Cattlemen's has fantastic chicken fry too. Reminds me of the way my Mom made them when I was a kid.

TheTravellers
05-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Cattlemen's does their CFS in a skillet, I believe, as opposed to most others who deep fry it. Chuck House is our favorite and go-to for CFS too, need to go soon to make me forget the Lottinville's average one I had awhile back.

Tritone
05-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Chuck House (even the extraterrestrials like it) in OKC. (Sonny's is good, too, but Purcell is not OKC. I am ashamed to say I have not eaten at Kendall's yet. We've planned the trip several times but something always throws a wrench in the works.)

MikeLucky
05-03-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry guys, but any answer other than Kendall's is just plain wrong. Kendall's is in downtown Noble, doesn't take credit/debit cards, and is only open Wednesdays through Saturdays... When you make chicken fried steak like they do, that's the kind of things you can do as a business. I've had the others, but Kendall's is the best CFS on the planet. Period. End of story.

TheTravellers
05-04-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry guys, but any answer other than Kendall's is just plain wrong. Kendall's is in downtown Noble, doesn't take credit/debit cards, and is only open Wednesdays through Saturdays... When you make chicken fried steak like they do, that's the kind of things you can do as a business. I've had the others, but Kendall's is the best CFS on the planet. Period. End of story.

But Chuck House says theirs is the "Best in the Universe", so they need to have a chicken-fry-off, lol....

Pete
05-04-2016, 11:17 AM
I need to try Kendall's but I've tried everything else and always come back to the no-flash Chuck House.

Food always comes out hot and fresh and they have the right balance of meat and breading with great seasoning.

Roger S
05-04-2016, 11:29 AM
I need to try Kendall's but I've tried everything else and always come back to the no-flash Chuck House.

Kendall's is good but it's not going to replace Chuck House for you.... I liken Kendall's to Leo's BBQ because most of the time when you mention Kendall's the first thing out of peoples mouth is "Did you get a cinnamon roll?"..... and much like the strawberry banana cake at Leo's.... The butter soaked cinnamon rolls at Kendall's are really good.....So when you go make sure you save room for the cinnamon roll. ;)

MagzOK
05-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Only problem I have with Kendalls is that they do not use real potatoes in their mashed potatoes. That was learned from one of the server's mouths when I suspected so and asked. They use boxed mashed potatoes. I concur that Cheever's has a dang good chicken fry as does Ann's on old Route 66 -- 39th expressway.

sixkiller
05-04-2016, 01:46 PM
The CFS at Kendall's is totally okay, but the rest of the plate (mashed potatoes, green beans, roll) tastes and looks like cafeteria food.

Pete
05-04-2016, 01:52 PM
The mashed potatoes they serve with the CFS at Cheevers are amazing. Perhaps the best I've ever had.

Thomas Vu
05-05-2016, 01:17 AM
Only problem I have with Kendalls is that they do not use real potatoes in their mashed potatoes. That was learned from one of the server's mouths when I suspected so and asked. They use boxed mashed potatoes. I concur that Cheever's has a dang good chicken fry as does Ann's on old Route 66 -- 39th expressway.

That's disenchanting

sixkiller
05-05-2016, 09:07 AM
This thread has inspired me to get the Cheever's CFS when we're out celebrating my husband's graduation Saturday. Thank you everyone!

OKCDrummer77
05-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Both great recommendations. Chuck House looks like a dump, but the food is the battered and fried flesh of the gods. Ann's has breaded & double fried french fries, which is kind of ridiculous but has to be tried. No cards are taken at Ann's (last time I went, it's been a few years), so hit an ATM before you go.

I just had lunch there Tuesday, and that is still the case. They do take checks, though.

sooner88
05-05-2016, 10:20 AM
The mashed potatoes they serve with the CFS at Cheevers are amazing. Perhaps the best I've ever had.

Their charred jalapeno gratin is awesome as well.

checkthat
05-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Cosign.

baralheia
05-20-2016, 11:48 AM
USA Today's 10best is currently running a poll for the best Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich in Oklahoma. Voting closes June 6 at noon ET. http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-chicken-fry-sandwich-in-oklahoma/

Head
06-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Kendall's is "big", not "good". Across the street from Kendalls, is Tiffanys. Way better chicken fried steak. But if you're looking for sensationalism, then, by all means, go to the tourist trap.

Head
06-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Kendall's is "big", not "good". Across the street from Kendalls, is Tiffanys. Way better chicken fried steak. But if you're looking for sensationalism, then, by all means, go to the tourist trap.

I must add, they don't do the chicken fry on weekend "mornings". It's too labor intensive for them to create a "real" one in the time frame afforded by a breakfast schedule. Kendalls, is a cheap imitation of what we Oklahomans know as family fare. No I'm not related to anyone down there in Noble. ('cept my brother, who took me to Tiffany's, after a couple of errant trips to the fake place.) I've never sent anyone astray on food yet. Vote for Head!

Tritone
06-13-2016, 03:08 PM
I finally tried the CFS a Kendall's. While it was okay, I really found it no better than the rest. Huge, yes, and thin. There were actually places near the center where there was no meat, only breading. Mrs. Tritone had the chicken strips and I must admit they were exceptional.

I'll try Tiffany's next time. Sometimes the famous place is not always the best. Consider fried chicken. To some a certain restaurant in Okarche is the gold standard. I've had chicken at many, many places over the years and to be honest, I did not find theirs to be exceptional. To each his own.

Thomas Vu
06-13-2016, 03:16 PM
To some a certain restaurant in Okarche is the gold standard. I've had chicken at many, many places over the years and to be honest, I did not find theirs to be exceptional. To each his own.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Chicken Express.

Uptowner
06-13-2016, 06:41 PM
This thread makes me wonder if I should break out my Mommas CFS finger recipe and open a shop, it's done in about 1/8" of shortening with cube steak cut into strips lightly washed and dredged with flour, secret herbs, & spices. It could follow the caine's chicken model. Only triple the price lol.

kevinpate
06-13-2016, 07:12 PM
you'd find a market for it.

Urbanized
06-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Totally agree about the chicken in Okarche being average. It's only an excuse for a road trip with friends, and nobody wants to admit to driving 45 minutes to eat average chicken.