View Full Version : Arby's going up at old gas station site SW 104th and May

SoonerDave
05-02-2016, 11:33 AM
OKC building permit records show that Arby's is building a new location on the land presently occupied by the defunct gas station on the SE corner of SW 104th and May Avenue. Notes on the permit indicate plans are still pending to raze the existing, abandoned structure. The permit was a "365-day permit," so I'm guessing its in the early stages of review, and thus exact timetable for tearing down the old buildings and starting new construction is not clear.

While the new development is nice, I must admit I was hoping that something other than fast food might join that corner. I suspect the new apartments on either side of 104th are increasing the population density in that immediate area, so it would not surprise me to see additional development in that region. The stripmall on the east side of May just south of this new Arby's location has 6,000 sq ft reserved for a restaurant, so obviously other activity is on tap for that area.

Mel
05-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Doesn't the EPA make them move the buried tanks and detoxify the soil? I've heard that's why most old SS are not a popular site turnover.

drinner-okc
05-02-2016, 08:44 PM
yeah, but that corner is gonna be worth it. 2 huge apartment complexes going up (1 north & 1 south) Walmart 3/4 mile west, Crest across street. Those neighborhoods are dreading the traffic.

Mel
05-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Fast food is a gold mine around apartment complexes so now I see it would be worth the cost.

tfvc.org
05-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Doesn't the EPA make them move the buried tanks and detoxify the soil? I've heard that's why most old SS are not a popular site turnover.

That was done already. I drive by every day on the way to work and saw them remove the tanks shortly after that station closed down.

Zuplar
05-02-2016, 09:14 PM
I don't feel like I've seen an Arby's built in 15 years. All the ones I've seen seem like they've been there for years.

Mel
05-02-2016, 09:16 PM
I wonder who paid for it? The Realtor that owned the land or the new buyer. I would imagine that the technology for cleaning up old SS has greatly improved since the EPA law became implemented.

Thomas Vu
05-02-2016, 11:17 PM
I don't feel like I've seen an Arby's built in 15 years. All the ones I've seen seem like they've been there for years.

They built one on MacArthur and NW 150th. Looks different/more modern than the other ones.

baralheia
05-03-2016, 11:47 AM
I used to work for them at the restaurant level as a manager... When I left in 2010, they had just wrapped up construction on store #8310 at Reno & MacArthur, and #7984 in Newcastle had opened roughly a year prior. Since I left, going by store number, it looks like 3 new locations have opened in OKC - #8441 on NW Expressway and Council, #8443 on Main in Norman, and #8506 at NW 150th and MacArthur, so an average of one every 2 years in the Metro area alone. Arby's restaurants here are operated by a franchisee - US Beef Corporation - and they are literally always working on new stores (or renovating old ones) across their territory. Headquarted in Tulsa, they're also the largest franchisee in the Arby's system, with stores in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and southern Illinois.

SoonerDave
05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
The newer Arby's stores look a LOT nicer than the perpetually-rehabbed existing ones. The Arby's at 89th and S. Western, which I have to believe will be closed/moved to the SW 104th and May site, was a Taco Tico building over THIRTY YEARS ago - maybe even longer. I like Arby's food fairly well, but that building is long past its prime.

Martin
05-03-2016, 11:51 AM
well... this is way better than a vacant gas station, but i would've rather seen some sort of fast casual go in... something like pei wei, chipotle, etc. -M

Zuplar
05-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Yep all the locations mentioned I've never seen. Of course this new one is somewhat close to me, I'll probably go to it over the old crusty one in Mustang.

baralheia
05-03-2016, 02:32 PM
The newer Arby's stores look a LOT nicer than the perpetually-rehabbed existing ones. The Arby's at 89th and S. Western, which I have to believe will be closed/moved to the SW 104th and May site, was a Taco Tico building over THIRTY YEARS ago - maybe even longer. I like Arby's food fairly well, but that building is long past its prime.

Store #6523. At least as of 2010, so was the equipment, hah! I know the store got a full overhaul in the late 90's, but yeah. The only store that I worked in that was worse was 12th and Janeway in Moore (#1508). Food quality and sanitation were always consistently good across all the stores I worked in, since all managers are ServSafe certified and it's stressed heavily at all times, but these two stores in particular constantly had problems with the kitchen equipment as well as building mechanical. Everything was just /old/ and worn down... I hated working in those two stores. #1360 at NW 23rd and Brauer is another store like #6523 that is long in the tooth and needs a total overhaul.

Tavia
05-03-2016, 04:38 PM
I have heard rumors of Pub W going in the new strip center to the south of this corner. Can anyone confirm/deny?

SoonerDave
06-24-2016, 08:49 AM
MIdwest Wrecking has demolished the old gas station structure at this location. Only the carwash was remaining when I drove by last night. Suspect that means we can see the site being prepped for the Arby's build out pretty soon....

SoonerDave
06-24-2016, 08:52 AM
I have heard rumors of Pub W going in the new strip center to the south of this corner. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Yup. Pub W has a building permit for 10740 S. May issued 24 May. What can you tell us (well, maybe just me?) about Pub W? Not familiar with it.

Welp, didn't know about this one. Hal Smith place: http://pubdub.com/

Roger S
06-24-2016, 09:19 AM
MIdwest Wrecking has demolished the old gas station structure at this location. Only the carwash was remaining when I drove by last night. Suspect that means we can see the site being prepped for the Arby's build out pretty soon....

Maybe they will route the drive thru through the car wash and we can get a wash and a roast beef sandwich at the same time!

If the wait times are as long as the wait times at the Moore (12th Street) location. There is plenty of time to get washed, waxed, and probably vacuum your vehicle while waiting on your order.

baralheia
06-24-2016, 09:39 AM
If 12th & Janeway (#1508) is anything like it was when I was there - it's a low-volume store so they can't afford to have that many employees on the clock at any given time. Combined with (relatively) ancient equipment, staff that doesn't want to be there, and lack of management, it equates to a poor customer experience and long wait times.

Though I have to admit, that would be pretty boss. All combos come with a free car wash while you wait on your order, haha - and instead of bubble gum or however it's typically scented, the soap smells like Arby's sauce. I'm not actually sure whether that's an awesome or horrible idea......

Roger S
06-24-2016, 10:07 AM
I think it could be higher volume if the wait times weren't so high,

Depends on which Arby's sauce it smells like... Not so sure I want my car smelling like Horsey Sauce but I might be all about some 3 Pepper Sauce car air freshener! ;)

tfvc.org
06-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Just drove by it today on the way to work. Car wash is razed. Sorry to burst your fantasies.

Roger S
06-24-2016, 02:33 PM
Just drove by it today on the way to work. Car wash is razed. Sorry to burst your fantasies.

Well dang the bad luck! ;)

baralheia
06-24-2016, 02:40 PM
NOOOO NOT MY 3-PEPPER CAR SHAMPOO! :C

Uh, anyway.

I have no doubt that this location will do some crazy sales for a while once it's built. The nearest two stores to that spot are not terribly great stores.

SoonerDave
06-29-2016, 09:03 PM
NOOOO NOT MY 3-PEPPER CAR SHAMPOO! :C

Uh, anyway.

I have no doubt that this location will do some crazy sales for a while once it's built. The nearest two stores to that spot are not terribly great stores.

Surely they will shutter the Arby's at SW 89th and Western. Barely over two miles away and that store is...old, and in need of..help. It used to be a freakin' Taco Tico *40* years ago!!! I actually kinda like Arby's, but that store is...kinda nasty and I've seen a manager there do a few things with returned food that I...don't...think...match....up...with...policy..

Pete
06-30-2016, 06:47 AM
From Jeepokc:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/arbys063016.jpg

baralheia
06-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Surely they will shutter the Arby's at SW 89th and Western. Barely over two miles away and that store is...old, and in need of..help. It used to be a freakin' Taco Tico *40* years ago!!! I actually kinda like Arby's, but that store is...kinda nasty and I've seen a manager there do a few things with returned food that I...don't...think...match....up...with...policy..

There are multiple instances of stores about 2 miles from each other in the Metro and they stay busy enough to keep the lights on, so I really doubt the new store will pull away enough business to cause #6523 (89th/Western) to shut down. Trust me, if stores like #1508 (12th/Janeway in Moore) are still open, there's no way they'd shut down #6523. That location pulls a healthy lunch crowd. That said, if you see something like that again, I guarantee you corporate wants to know; they were extremely strict about food safety when I worked there and that included immediately trashing any food returns. If my memory serves me correctly, their customer service phone number is 1-866-972-7297.

Martin
06-30-2016, 09:40 AM
i agree... i think the stores are far enough apart for them to both operate profitably. -M

Jeepnokc
10-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Noticed this morning that the Arby's at SW 89 and S Western is undergoing a major remodel also. Only the drive thru is open and looks like the front of house and the exterior is being completely redone. If they are keeping drive thru open...I am guessing they are not redoing kitchen.

SoonerDave
10-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Noticed this morning that the Arby's at SW 89 and S Western is undergoing a major remodel also. Only the drive thru is open and looks like the front of house and the exterior is being completely redone. If they are keeping drive thru open...I am guessing they are not redoing kitchen.

I'm amazed that building is still standing. Having all-but grown up in that area, I remember when that very same Arby's building was a Taco Tico back in the late 70's/early 80's. It needed....help. I'm amazed at the extent of the teardown/rebuild - probably back to only half (?) the building remains...

baralheia
10-18-2016, 10:32 AM
As a former employee, I'm amazed that they're not doing a kitchen rebuild on #6523. The lobby definitely needed to be redone - the glassed-in awning on front kept leaking despite multiple repairs, among other things - but the kitchen area was also long overdue for a refresh. When I worked there several years ago, there wasn't a lot of room for all of the equipment. The sink was undersized for the volume of business, the oven was ancient, and the A/C and ventilation systems desperately needed an overhaul to make sure the kitchen area wasn't hitting 90°F+ temps, especially in the middle of summer. All that said, I'm glad that the Arby's franchise running our stores here is able to invest in renovations and new construction.