View Full Version : Restaurant Recommendations

sooner88
02-24-2016, 09:42 PM
If you had someone new coming to OKC, what would be the top 2-3 restaurants you would recommend them to try? Best food, unique to OKC, etc.

ljbab728
02-24-2016, 09:57 PM
That is too broad of a question. It would totally depend on what might interest them in terms of type of food or expense. Saying best food can mean totally different things to different people. And while Oklahoma City has many wonderful home grown restaurants, few, if any, have anything unique to OKC.

Tundra
02-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Nic's Grill, who doesn't love a good burger, Cattlemens because nobody ever dislikes Cattlemens , La Baguette best deserts in town, Ingrids is unique and delicious, and Leo's BBQ...

ljbab728
02-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Nic's Grill, who doesn't love a good burger, Cattlemens because nobody ever dislikes Cattlemens , La Baguette best deserts in town, Ingrids is unique and delicious, and Leo's BBQ...

I have seen many reviews here of Cattlemen's which were quite negative and, as I said, none of those meet the original request for food unique to OKC other than being very good for what they provide.

Thomas Vu
02-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Waffle Champion
The Ranch
Tamashii (probably catch some flack for that one)
Tarajumara/Abels
S&B burger joint
Sweet Basil/Charmed

Really depends on what they want.

Roger S
02-25-2016, 07:08 AM
Best Food in OKC - The fried pork chop at the Han-D-Sak at about 27th and N Kelley
Unique to OKC - Pho Lien Hoa for Vietnamese. Few places have the quailty of Vietnamese food we have here.
Etc - Well Etc could cover a lot.... Nic's Grill for the experience and the burger, Vast for the view, Guernsey Park or Chae for Asian fusion, Florence's for the soul, Mama Sinmi's Chop House for West African cuisine.

Jeepnokc
02-25-2016, 07:36 AM
If for lunch...would take to Slaughter's Hall in Deep Deuce and talk about the history of the area. Then could swing down through BT or over to memorial.

OkiePoke
02-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Lunch or Dinner? Quick serve or sit down? Comfort food or trendy? Very broad...

One of my favorite places to eat, as I work in Midtown, is Packard's. Their special is usually really good. I should probably go to Kitchen 324 more often. I would categorize these at the 'hip/fresh' places. Unique takes one some food.

AP
02-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Mama Sinmi's Chop House for West African cuisine.

A couple of my Nigerian coworkers eat at Mama Sinmi's a few times a week and I've always wanted to try it. I've heard it's really good.

loveOKC
02-25-2016, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=OK BBQ Eater Anonymous;942031]Best Food in OKC - The fried pork chop at the Han-D-Sak at about 27th and N Kelley

:hungry:

Roger S
02-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Best Food in OKC - The fried pork chop at the Han-D-Sak at about 27th and N Kelley

:hungry:

HA.... You don't need a knife and fork... You eat these bad boys with your fingers and enjoy the burns on your fingertips! ;)

dankrutka
02-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Without knowing any more information I would choose places that showed off different parts of the city:
- Kitchen 324 (CBD)
- The Mule (Plaza District)
- Picasso Cafe (Paseo)

Or just anything by the Good Egg Group. ;)

sooner88
02-25-2016, 10:11 AM
I have different friends and family that come in town for different occasions, so I kept it broad on purpose... there isn't a specific occasion. I was just curious what the different go-tos would be (and if there were some places I hadn't tried myself).

2Lanez
02-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Cheever's is the overall best and most "Oklahoma."

Ludivine's food and environment can stand with trendy restaurants in big cities.

Bobo's is unique and excellent (though not always consistent).

Lots of other great places but those are the three best for a great, unique experience.

Pete
02-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Interestingly, I have friends coming in from California just for the afternoon (they have a wedding to attend in Tulsa) so I only get one shot with them!

They specifically suggested BBQ so I will probably take them to Back Door just because it's a cool place. I suppose another option would be Bedlam but I'm not sure that area will impress them with OKC.

I also thought about taking them down to Bricktown and eating at the Brewery but I'd rather it be somewhere on the canal. I love the space at Bourbon Street but I'm not sure that is the one Oklahoma meal I want them to have. Kd's isn't open for lunch and Toby Keith's is a quasi chain...

At least Back Door serves the food on a tray with white bread which will allow me to explain it's common in OK and TX.

Making this choice is like asking a big movie buff for their 3 all-time favorite movies. Too hard to make too few choices.

pure
02-25-2016, 06:28 PM

While La Baguette makes most of their breads and pastries, a lot of their actual desserts like the cakes are shipped in frozen from NYC. (Source: I'm in the hospitality industry and they are one of our vendors, also heard the same from the bakery that did my wedding cake)

Tundra
02-25-2016, 07:20 PM
While La Baguette makes most of their breads and pastries, a lot of their actual desserts like the cakes are shipped in frozen from NYC. (Source: I'm in the hospitality industry and they are one of our vendors, also heard the same from the bakery that did my wedding cake)

Doesn't change the fact that they have some of the best deserts in town.

soonermike81
02-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Is this all their cakes??? My wife and I are huge fans of La Baguette, and she will be floored to have learned this!

Thomas Vu
02-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Slightly unsettling seeing as some places advertise getting their desserts from there.

ljbab728
02-25-2016, 11:34 PM
I sent them an email enquiring about that and will be interested in what response, if any, I get.

BBatesokc
02-26-2016, 04:43 AM
I get personal and professional guests from out of state on a regular basis.... When its nice out I usually take them to Bedlam (outdoor dining day/night) and 80% of the time they go back during their visit. This most recently happened when 20/20 came to town. I took them there for dinner and they went back again a couple of times on two separate visits to OKC with a couple of weeks because they enjoyed it so much.

Beyond that I've had good feedback from taking people to Gabriella's, Waffle Champion, Empire Slice (followed by Roxy's), Cheever's, and Red Rock Canyon Grill (my personal favorite 'regular' restaurant in OKC right now). Guernsey Park has also been a hit with friends who wanna dress up just a little.

Nic's is a great place to take out of town friends, but it really depends on the situation. I couldn't imagine trying to take a group there - I'd limit it to 3-4 people total and they'd have to be okay with tiny spaces and messy food - and possibly smelling like a grill.

I've done the Cattleman's thing a few times with mixed results. Not my goto place any longer (and not for a long time).

Leo's is good too - I've just had better consistency with Bedlam. Plus, you tend to smell like a BBQ joint after eating there. Not good for a group going back to an office or meetings.

Breakfast we now take people to Hash Retro Diner or Waffle Champion.

I've also had great results with Family Affair - but again - it depends on the group. FA is great for a lunch run with some very casual and hungry people who want a home cooked meal (go on fridays - Catfish and Cobbler). This has been a huge favorite when large film crews come to town and want a place to get full and is not fancy. Along those lines - Grill on the Hill is another favorite with people I've taken there for a casual lunch of good home cooking.

Several of those probably don't fit within the criteria in the OP, but I was just rambling.....

OKCinsomniac
02-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Cheever's and Kitchen 324; I might consider Iron Star, 1492, S&B's / Garage as well. Waffle Champion walk-up window for dessert if available (weekends 7 p.m. - 2 a.m., I believe).

sooner88
02-26-2016, 09:15 AM
I get personal and professional guests from out of state on a regular basis.... When its nice out I usually take them to Bedlam (outdoor dining day/night) and 80% of the time they go back during their visit. This most recently happened when 20/20 came to town. I took them there for dinner and they went back again a couple of times on two separate visits to OKC with a couple of weeks because they enjoyed it so much.

Beyond that I've had good feedback from taking people to Gabriella's, Waffle Champion, Empire Slice (followed by Roxy's), Cheever's, and Red Rock Canyon Grill (my personal favorite 'regular' restaurant in OKC right now). Guernsey Park has also been a hit with friends who wanna dress up just a little.

Nic's is a great place to take out of town friends, but it really depends on the situation. I couldn't imagine trying to take a group there - I'd limit it to 3-4 people total and they'd have to be okay with tiny spaces and messy food - and possibly smelling like a grill.

I've done the Cattleman's thing a few times with mixed results. Not my goto place any longer (and not for a long time).

Leo's is good too - I've just had better consistency with Bedlam. Plus, you tend to smell like a BBQ joint after eating there. Not good for a group going back to an office or meetings.

Breakfast we now take people to Hash Retro Diner or Waffle Champion.

I've also had great results with Family Affair - but again - it depends on the group. FA is great for a lunch run with some very casual and hungry people who want a home cooked meal (go on fridays - Catfish and Cobbler). This has been a huge favorite when large film crews come to town and want a place to get full and is not fancy. Along those lines - Grill on the Hill is another favorite with people I've taken there for a casual lunch of good home cooking.

Several of those probably don't fit within the criteria in the OP, but I was just rambling.....

That's really what I was looking for (as well as everything else that's been posted), although I probably could have been more clear in my post. I tend to stick to the same few places as my go to (Cheever's definitely being top of the list), and while I've tried a lot of different restaurants around OKC there's always more that I could try or that aren't even on my radar.

Jeepnokc
02-26-2016, 09:44 AM
In October, I had a group of 6 lawyers from all over the country in town teaching. Took them to Leo's for lunch and ordered the big family platter (not the actual name but had all the meats and numerous sides) that comes with everything. They were still raving about it last month when we were in LA for another seminar. They were most impressed with the bologna and fried okra as those are thing you don't generally see outside the south and certainly not in Chicago or DC.

We did Mickey mantle's downtown the night before after a private scotch tasting at my office. These are all guys that eat at top steakhouses around the country and MM held it's own with great steaks and appetizers.

ljbab728
02-27-2016, 02:17 PM

I wondered about that so I send them an email with this question.

I recently read on a local website an assertion that many of your deserts and cakes are made in New York, frozen, and shipped to OKC. Is that true?

This is the response I received, so you're mistaken unless they lied to me.

Hello,

No, That is not true, They are made daily here in Oklahoma! Have a great day!

roci28
02-28-2016, 09:00 AM
Every time I bring out of towners to The Garage for a burger they love it....we go to the one in midtown. Also Waffle Champion and Gabriella's are good choices. You can also check out what trucks are at Bleu Garten for a different experience that is usually fun.

soonermike81
02-28-2016, 10:22 AM

That's great to hear. Hopefully they're not lying; this would be a pretty big deal.

Tundra
02-28-2016, 04:05 PM

I already knew this wasn't true, I've known one of the bakers for 20+ years........ And I'm not even in the hospitality biz..... It's sad people just spout info out there just to be heard sometimes. Let's think about it La Baguette sells their desserts all over this town, there is very little chance a cake could be marked up three times before it ever gets to your plate....

HangryHippo
02-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Every time I bring out of towners to The Garage for a burger they love it....we go to the one in midtown.

Same here. I've taken many out of town guests to the Garage in Midtown and they all agree it's incredible. Everyone loves it.

BBatesokc
03-01-2016, 06:38 AM
Same here. I've taken many out of town guests to the Garage in Midtown and they all agree it's incredible. Everyone loves it.

Forgot about then garage - I often take people for a casual lunch at the one in Edmond. Never had anyone not say it was one of the best burgers they've ever had. I always insist they get the buffalo. Also the Hash Retro Diner just up the street from Garage has a really good onion burger too.