View Full Version : Tulsa trip suggestions

Pete
02-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Looking to take a drive up the 'pike and check out the Tulsa urban scene.

Plan to walk all of downtown and hit Cherry Street and Brookside and Utica Square.

Any particular good / interesting places to eat and/or drink?

Any other districts I should make a point to see?

(may go up there this afternoon if I get enough done this morning.)

ZYX2
02-20-2016, 09:16 AM
One of my favorite restaurants in Tulsa is STG in the Blue Dome district between 1st and 2nd on Detroit. They have awesome Margherita pizza and gelato.

ZYX2
02-20-2016, 09:22 AM
I would also check out Decopolis on Boston. It's a store run by a local artist who is also in the process of growing an Art Deco museum.

dankrutka
02-20-2016, 10:09 AM
You should head up to Tulsa now and go your work at The Phoenix (6th and Peoria). ;) One of my favorite spots to work.

Check out The Vault (7th between Boston and Cincinatti) for a drink. It's a pretty cool rehab of an old bank. I'd also recommend checking out Hodge's Bend and Bohemia on 3rd. It's a neat emerging area. My Tulsa friends recommend Tallgrass Prairie at 2nd and Elgin.

Roger S
02-20-2016, 02:17 PM
If you like BBQ you can't go wrong with BurnCo. Just get there early and be prepared to stand in a line.... I'm not familiar with Tulsa's districts but they've recently moved into an eclectic little area near downtown.

Thomas Vu
02-20-2016, 11:52 PM
If you like BBQ you can't go wrong with BurnCo. Just get there early and be prepared to stand in a line.... I'm not familiar with Tulsa's districts but they've recently moved into an eclectic little area near downtown.

Other than their lava cake, I wasn't much of a fan of BurnCo. Couldn't be that I tried the wrong thing as I opted for the happy ($35) plate

RadicalModerate
02-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Our last trip to Tulsa was to visit the Gilcrease Museum. We met a friend of my wife at a burger place in Brookside (next to Urban Outfitters). It was very, very good. Wish I could remember the name of the place . . .

Tundra
02-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Kilkenny's is always a good stop.

MagzOK
02-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Fat Guy Burger Bar -- my gosh one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. They have two or three locations now, but we like the original location which is in Greenwood, literally just outside the third base side of the Tulsa Drillers stadium.

MagzOK
02-21-2016, 08:10 AM
The Greenwood area is kind of neat to tool around. It was a number of years after I moved here until I ever heard of the Tulsa Race Riots of the early 1900s. Look up the race riots and read about them, then drive around the very area where a couple days of murders, home burning, and riots occurred. Very powerful stuff. I've enjoyed taking old maps and driving and walking around the area where there are still remnants of buildings and stuff that fell victim to the fires and riots. It's not a very well known thing here which was so surprising to me. I remember the day I learned of them I asked my wife, who's an Oklahoma native, if she had ever heard of the riots and she had no idea what I was talking about. She stated she didn't remember anything about them in her Oklahoma history class. I was kind of blown away that she hadn't known of such an event. Anyway, it's very interesting and something free to do.

Urbanized
02-21-2016, 08:13 AM
+1 for Fat Guys

dankrutka
02-21-2016, 06:02 PM
The Greenwood area is kind of neat to tool around. It was a number of years after I moved here until I ever heard of the Tulsa Race Riots of the early 1900s. Look up the race riots and read about them, then drive around the very area where a couple days of murders, home burning, and riots occurred. Very powerful stuff. I've enjoyed taking old maps and driving and walking around the area where there are still remnants of buildings and stuff that fell victim to the fires and riots. It's not a very well known thing here which was so surprising to me. I remember the day I learned of them I asked my wife, who's an Oklahoma native, if she had ever heard of the riots and she had no idea what I was talking about. She stated she didn't remember anything about them in her Oklahoma history class. I was kind of blown away that she hadn't known of such an event. Anyway, it's very interesting and something free to do.

The reason most people haven't heard of the Tulsa Race Riots is because it was deliberately covered up and excluded textbooks and such. There are a number if good books on the topic, but this one was my favorite: http://www.amazon.com/Riot-Remembrance-Tulsa-Race-Legacy/dp/0618108130

Thomas Vu
02-21-2016, 06:50 PM
+2 for fat guys. I think its the first thing Urbanized and I agree on something.

Pete
02-21-2016, 07:02 PM
I didn't get up there this weekend but hope to next Saturday.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Thomas Vu
02-21-2016, 11:31 PM

sixkiller
02-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Glad I'm not too late to suggest you eat at Laffa. Service is pretty slow, but the food is incredible. The kind of pan-Mediterranean place we don't have in OKC. And late night falafel window!

whatitis
02-22-2016, 08:53 AM

Oklahoma native. as are most of my co-workers and one brought up how no one knows about the Tulsa race riots. Which 3 of us chimed in that we knew about them. So just kind of depends I guess.

dankrutka
02-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Oklahoma native. as are most of my co-workers and one brought up how no one knows about the Tulsa race riots. Which 3 of us chimed in that we knew about them. So just kind of depends I guess.

I'll also add that the Race Riots have started being taught in schools in the last 10-20 years much more in part because the events have been added to textbooks. So, you may also see a generational shift too.

Eric
02-22-2016, 11:00 AM
...if you haven't already gone.

Smoke on Cherry St. - My perennial favorite in all of Tulsa.
Queenie's Cafe and Bakery (Utica Square) - for lunch, it's not the best food on the planet, but if you want to see the upper crust of Tulsa that's where you need to go.
Elmer's Barbecue - has always been my standby for BBQ. I know I will probably get criticized, but you don't mess with what's not broken. In an old gas station past the prime part of Brookside (42nd & Peoria).
Brookside by Day - If you are there before noon, this is an institution in Tulsa for breakfast.

Gilcrease should not be missed. And if you have the inclination, I always enjoy just cruising down 66 (11th street for the most part).

Swake
02-22-2016, 12:59 PM

You should visit The John Hope Franklin Reconciliation Park next to Oneok Field.

John Hope Franklin » Reconciliation Park (http://www.jhfcenter.org/reconciliation-park/)

Urbanized
02-22-2016, 02:24 PM
+2 for fat guys. I think its the first thing Urbanized and I agree on something.
Wow...interesting! I guess you and Inhave some imaginary feud that I wasn't aware of. Cool; I've always wanted a nemesis!

Tundra
02-22-2016, 04:28 PM

Queenie's Cafe and Bakery (Utica Square) - for lunch, it's not the best food on the planet, but if you want to see the upper crust of Tulsa that's where you need to go.
Elmer's Barbecue - has always been my standby for BBQ. I know I will probably get criticized, but you don't mess with what's not broken. In an old gas station past the prime part of Brookside (42nd & Peoria).
Brookside by Day - If you are there before noon, this is an institution in Tulsa for breakfast.

Gilcrease should not be missed. And if you have the inclination, I always enjoy just cruising down 66 (11th street for the most part).

Elmers is by far the best BBQ in Tulsa IMO..... I love that place.

Tundra
02-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Elmers is by far the best BBQ in Tulsa IMO..... I love that place.

Thomas Vu
02-22-2016, 04:32 PM
In terms of bbq, there is an Oklahoma Joe's if you liked the KC location (now Kansas City Joes)

Tundra
02-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Also on the way up or on the way back stop by sweetie pies in Sand Springs... The bread they make their sandwiches with is some of the best around, and lots of sweets to try....

Home Page (http://www.sweetiepiessandsprings.com/)

Tundra
02-22-2016, 04:34 PM
In terms of bbq, there is an Oklahoma Joe's if you liked the KC location (now Kansas City Joes)

I liked Oklahoma joes , only had it once but it was decent... They had burnt ends...m'mm

whatitis
02-22-2016, 04:52 PM
I'll also add that the Race Riots have started being taught in schools in the last 10-20 years much more in part because the events have been added to textbooks. So, you may also see a generational shift too.

maybe. we all graduated around 1998-2000. and I took ok history in 9th grade in 1995. I don't remember it being taught in school. just hearing it in the news.

whatitis
02-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Also on the way up or on the way back stop by sweetie pies in Sand Springs... The bread they make their sandwiches with is some of the best around, and lots of sweets to try....

Home Page (http://www.sweetiepiessandsprings.com/)

this was intriguing to me because I am always up for sweets and the family and I go to Tulsa to visit the wife's brother fairly frequently. so I looked into this place and they are only open from 7a-4p. that takes me out completely. you would think being open on the weekend when people might go up for the weekend would be smart. I can't think of when I'll ever be going that way during those times. 

on edit
Google showed those hours.
zomato had a picture of the menu stating 7-4 tues-sat
may just stop ☺

Tundra
02-22-2016, 06:34 PM
this was intriguing to me because I am always up for sweets and the family and I go to Tulsa to visit the wife's brother fairly frequently. so I looked into this place and they are only open from 7a-4p. that takes me out completely. you would think being open on the weekend when people might go up for the weekend would be smart. I can't think of when I'll ever be going that way during those times. 

on edit
Google showed those hours.
zomato had a picture of the menu stating 7-4 tues-sat
may just stop ☺

It's well worth it, and I'm almost positive she is open on Saturday, the bread is phonomenal.... Really everything is though

Swake
02-22-2016, 07:11 PM
maybe. we all graduated around 1998-2000. and I took ok history in 9th grade in 1995. I don't remember it being taught in school. just hearing it in the news.

It was taught when I was in school and I graduated in 1987. But I went to Booker T Washington High School which was part of the riot. A previous building for the school was the only building spared in black Tulsa and John Hope Franklin who himself was a survivor when he was a small child went to Booker T as probably the schools most distinguished graduate. The race riot memorial is named for Franklin, who won the Presidential Medal of Freedom as one of the America's greatest black scholars and historians teaching at the University of Chicago, Cambridge and Duke University and writing a number of very important books including his seminal work, From Slavery to Freedom.

Thomas Vu
02-22-2016, 11:55 PM
I liked Oklahoma joes , only had it once but it was decent... They had burnt ends...m'mm

I wish more places in OKC would do burnt ends...

Brownwood
02-23-2016, 09:42 AM
It's a little out of the way, but White River Fish Market is a great place for lunch. It's been there for nearly 80 years and offers fresh fish and seafood cooked to order. Their pies are also fantastic. Not much to look at, but very busy and well visited each day. I think it;s the best fish place in the state.

White River Fish Market and Restaurant of Tulsa, Oklahoma (http://www.whiteriverfishmarket.com/)

PhiAlpha
02-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Burn Co is solid for BBQ as well. Almost always has a line out the door when I go there.

Spartan
02-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Two Brookside recommendations:

If you like Cheever's, the Brook is pretty good food, located inside a cool old theater building. You can park right behind it for free.

The coffee shop across the street is one of the few in Oklahoma that boast a solid frozen lineup, which is odd for such a hot state where I'm always dying for something cold. They often have good live music, too. Shades of Brown is its name? I think.

One hidden Tulsa recommendation:

The Circle Cinema is the best cinema operation in the entire state. Check it out. The surrounding Kendall Whittier hood has potential, too.

Laramie
03-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Discover Oklahoma (OETA/KETA Oklahoma City) did a short feature on Decopolis (Corner: 6th & Boston is a fascinating gift shop. Put it on your list of 'must see' when you're in Tulsa.
http://41.media.tumblr.com/86070ec17eca976d143fdeaa62018ca4/tumblr_nblgjvPFP71qe7vo3o1_1280.jpg

http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/4594286_G.jpg
Decopolis owner, William Franklin