02-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Any recommendations on Mardi Gras fare?

u50254082
02-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Muffaletta from McAlister's?

TheTravellers
02-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Any recommendations on Mardi Gras fare?

Since po'boys are kinda New Orleans-y, thought I'd throw this out there - do not eat at Hillbilly Po'boy (or whatever they're calling themselves now), their bread is basically a specially shaped loaf of Wonder bread now (first time we ate there, it was a baguette of French-type bread, the way it's supposed to be, but the 2nd time was the Wonder-bread baguette).

Other than that, Trapper's for NOLA-type food, they're better than Pearl's. Not many other Mardi Gras/NOLA-specific suggestions, sorry. Never tried Cajun King 'cos of the almondine/amandine catfish - yuck. The Big Easy and Bayou Grill are on our to-eat list, but haven't gotten to either yet.

Pete
02-04-2016, 05:23 PM
^

Coincidentally, I was just at Hillbilly's tonight and they've totally redone their menu.

I didn't eat but had a Hillbilly Margarita (made with moonshine) and it had a bit of spice was was very good. I actually really like the space here, especially the little patio out front where you can watch trains go by.

stile99
02-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Never tried Cajun King 'cos of the almondine/amandine catfish - yuck.

Go ahead and give them a try, just ignore the catfish. I've never asked them to not bring it, but I'm sure they would comply. I'm always with people who like catfish, and I just...don't. I don't touch it, but I do leave stuffed with etouffee, jambalaya, greens, chicken, beignets, etc. The gumbo is file, so you know they're doing it right.

sooner88
02-04-2016, 08:05 PM
^

Coincidentally, I was just at Hillbilly's tonight and they've totally redone their menu.

I didn't eat but had a Hillbilly Margarita (made with moonshine) and it had a bit of spice was was very good. I actually really like the space here, especially the little patio out front where you can watch trains go by.

There was an article about them this week that said they would have jambalaya all next week.

Hillbilly's offers updated down-home approach to dining in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/article/5476292)

TheTravellers
02-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Go ahead and give them a try, just ignore the catfish. I've never asked them to not bring it, but I'm sure they would comply. I'm always with people who like catfish, and I just...don't. I don't touch it, but I do leave stuffed with etouffee, jambalaya, greens, chicken, beignets, etc. The gumbo is file, so you know they're doing it right.

Just might do that, but we've got high standards for NOLA food, having been there about 5 times - think it measures up to places in NOLA?

TheTravellers
02-05-2016, 03:21 PM
^

Their space is nice, just that the po'boys aren't. :) Maybe they'll pull out of their doldrums (assuming that's why they radically changed their menu/drinks) and have good food again, might try them in about 6 months, if they're still there...

sooner88
02-05-2016, 03:24 PM
The Shack has great Cajun food as well. They usually have a big Fat Tuesday celebration with a live band also.

Jersey Boss
02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
I think I will take Pete's suggestion on the drinks with some of the oyster nachos and jambalaya. The Shack was a disappointment last time I went to the Norman location and the Cajun King that was in Norman was a zero. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

stile99
02-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Just might do that, but we've got high standards for NOLA food, having been there about 5 times - think it measures up to places in NOLA?

I'm gonna say yes, cause the family that owns it is from there. Complete with accent.

Pete
02-05-2016, 09:05 PM
I think I will take Pete's suggestion on the drinks with some of the oyster nachos and jambalaya. The Shack was a disappointment last time I went to the Norman location and the Cajun King that was in Norman was a zero. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Please report back.

It really does seem like they have revamped and care about their food. I'm pulling for them.

Tundra
02-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Their space is nice, just that the po'boys aren't. :) Maybe they'll pull out of their doldrums (assuming that's why they radically changed their menu/drinks) and have good food again, might try them in about 6 months, if they're still there...

I don't think the menu was the problem, the food just wasn't any good, and the interior is extremely crowded feeling .

ctchandler
02-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Bayou Grill and Bakery in Edmond (Danforth and Bryant) is a nice place to eat. Also, I don't know about "Mardi Gras eats", but the oyster nachos at Fish City in Edmond at 15th and Bryant are really good.
C. T.

Roger S
02-06-2016, 01:31 PM
I'm not an authority on cajun/creole but I know what I like and C'est Si Bon, original location in Midwest City and new location in Del City, is turning our some pretty good eats.

https://www.zomato.com/oklahoma-city/cest-si-bon-midwest-city

ctchandler
02-06-2016, 05:19 PM
I'm not an authority on cajun/creole but I know what I like and C'est Si Bon, original location in Midwest City and new location in Del City, is turning our some pretty good eats.

OKBBQEA,
You are right. I have recently moved to a location about 2 1/2 blocks from the original restaurant. It's not fancy, but the food is really good. I also saw somewhere on this board that they are opening a third place in NW OKC. Also, I think they have a food truck, but I'm not sure about that.
C. T.

Stew
02-06-2016, 06:10 PM

At a great price as well. Perhaps one of the best dining values in the OKC area.

Questor
02-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Someone mentioned Norman... What about Jax? It's owned by the folks who own Blu, Republic, and the Library. Haven't been there but all their other locations are well run.

mattjank
02-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Growing up in North Louisiana and going to college in Lafayette Louisiana, leaves me sad to live up here this time of year. That said, I will second C'est Si Bon as passable. Only other acceptable spot I've found is Off the Hook, up at Broadway Extension and Britton.

Roger S
02-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Growing up in North Louisiana.

I drove to Natchitoches back in November just to try a Natchitoches Meat Pie at Lasyone's.... It's a good thing I don't live in, or near, Natchitoches or I would have foundered myself on those pies already... Can't wait to go back and eat them again!

Jeepnokc
02-08-2016, 11:19 PM
We just got off the plane from Mardi Gras and I can report that the food was as good as usual. K-Paul's was so great this trip that we hit it twice

ljbab728
02-08-2016, 11:30 PM
We just got off the plane from Mardi Gras and I can report that the food was as good as usual. K-Paul's was so great this trip that we hit it twice
Hey mister, did you come home with a lot of beads? :)

Jeepnokc
02-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Hey mister, did you come home with a lot of beads? :)

LOL. Not a single set of beads other than a couple of Krewe specific annual edition medallions. We actually ride with the Krewe of Tucks so do our darnedest to throw away as many as possible. My wife and I probably threw about 1200 beads over the course of the parade. It was perfect weather for Mardi Gras and the parades during the day. A little chilly at night but as I am in my last year of my forties, my priorities:bedtime::bedtime:: aren't the same as when I went to Mardi Gras in my 20's:drunk::omg::omg:

sooner88
02-09-2016, 02:46 PM
The Drake is having a crawfish boil tonight.

Jersey Boss
03-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Please report back.

It really does seem like they have revamped and care about their food. I'm pulling for them.
A very belated report.
As it turned out we were not available to travel to OKC on Fat Tuesday, but ate there two nights later.
We started out with the oyster nachos. The chips were homemade and the fried oysters with the orange remoulade were very good. For the main I had the blackened crawfish served in a cajun cream style sauce. There were plenty of mudbugs and the sauce was spicy without dominating. My wife had the blackened shrimp and it was similar in style. We both had ours served over rice.
We ate outside and enjoyed the huge tree out front. It was my wifes and I first time in that particular area of OKC and it was an enjoyable experience. The only thing i would do different is go with a beer over the hillbilly margarita as it was a little to sweet for me.