View Full Version : Best subs?

Pete
01-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Any of the multitude of places -- Subway, Jimmy John's, Hobbie's Hoggies, Firehouse, etc. -- really stand out?

I haven't tried any of them other than Subway and I'm not a big fan so I know there has to be something better out there.

SoonerDave
01-22-2016, 10:14 AM
I like Jimmy John's as far as retail/fast-foodish type subs goes. Jersey Mike's is a close second. JJ's is a tad more convenient.

As far as Subway goes, there's one literally walking distance from my house. I'll get in the car and go to JJ's instead. Subway has really just become the home of the Bread Sandwich. No thanks. They weren't always like that, but in the last year or two....meh.

Pete
01-22-2016, 10:20 AM
I need to try the one remaining Neptune's on Classen.

Used to love them but have no idea if they are the same type or if sandwiches from the 80's still hold up to the new competitors.

TexanOkie
01-22-2016, 10:24 AM
I prefer Firehouse or Planet Sub. Planet Sub is underrated and very low-key, and they always send out good deals/coupons via email. I don't know if they have any locations in the metro other than the one in the Park Harvey building, though.

Martin
01-22-2016, 10:32 AM
I need to try the one remaining Neptune's on Classen.

Used to love them but have no idea if they are the same type or if sandwiches from the 80's still hold up to the new competitors.

my impression of neptune subs on classen is that it's a pretty different sandwich than the neptune chain from the 80's.

i'll second planet subs downtown... though it's just been pretty hard for me to get to them with the streets ripped up. from there, i like jersey mike's.

the best non-sub sandwiches in the area, hands down, is nd foods just east of may and britton. -M

checkthat
01-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Jersey Mike's and it's not even close. Planet subs are convenient downtown and, as mentioned, offer great deals and promotions. Haven't tried Neptune's in a few years but it is probably exactly as you remember.

shawnw
01-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Hobbies gets a nod from me. Don't forget about Someplace Else.

u50254082
01-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Jersey Mikes is indeed good. I guess slicing the meat on demand makes a big difference. I just can't justify spending $12 on a sandwich...

Has anyone found any local grocery deli counters that make a good sub? I often hear about how Publix stores in the SE make awesome sandwiches.

shawnw
01-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Native Roots

turnpup
01-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Does anybody know anything about Lee's Sandwiches on Classen north of 23rd? It looks like a big place, and I wonder if it's any good.

BBatesokc
01-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Does anybody know anything about Lee's Sandwiches on Classen north of 23rd? It looks like a big place, and I wonder if it's any good.

Its my wife and I's favorite quick and economical lunch spot. We can eat there and get full on $7-$8 total for the both of us.

The sandwiches are not like a Subway or Neptune's (which are both next door to Lee's).

I prefer their chicken sandwich on baguette, heated. We also spilt an order of veggie rolls.

Good stuff.

shawnw
01-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Lee's is technically a chain. It's huge. LOTS of variety. BUT, don't try to customize your order.

MagzOK
01-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Jersey Mike's! Very expensive considering, unless you go on Wednesdays and request the "MIKES WAY WEDNESDAY" and you get it for a fraction of the cost. It's not a sub shop, but Lee's Sandwich on Classen is a real treat.

sooner88
01-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Jersey Mike's is my favorite chain -- Turkey sub, everything but mayo and grilled.

I go to Neptune's once every week or two... it's not anything special, but it is quick and really cheap. They do make the bread in house and it always tastes fresh.

Mel
01-22-2016, 11:51 AM
For hot subs I like Firehouse, cold subs Jimmy Johns. When we do a little shopping at Cao Nguyens, we do Lee's.

BBatesokc
01-22-2016, 11:57 AM
For us its: Lee's, Firehouse, Hobbies, Subway, Jersey Mike's. Haven't done Neptune's or Jimmy Johns in years. We are not really big sandwich eaters - between all the bread and processed deli meats its just not something we want to do too much.

I'm often working within walking distance of Hobbies. I like their Italian. They have great desserts too.

We actually eat most often at Subway - because there's always one nearby, its cheap and I like the Italian BMT.

Haven't tried Planet downtown, but I should.

We'd eat at JM's more often, but I personally think its too expensive for what you get.

Thomas Vu
01-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Hobbies hoagies are highly rated, but I never understood why. Adding my vote towards Planet sub. Their bread is so thin, and crispy! I think there's one on Edmond? I've never seen it though.

I've been told Pickles is good too. Cannot confirm.

u50254082
01-22-2016, 11:59 AM

The french bread is so crusty you'll cut the roof of your mouth. The proportions are also way off. 90% bread, 5% vegetables, 3% dressing, 2% meat.

Roger S
01-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Neptune's is my go to for subs. They haven't changed much, if at all, in the twenty years I've been eating there and I love their bread!

CCOKC
01-22-2016, 12:39 PM
When my office was on the west side of town I used to go to the Food Factory quite often. It is technically in Bethany on 23rd between Rockwell and Council. I am a vegetarian so I can only vouch for the veggie sandwich but it came with avocado which is always a favorite for me. I also really liked the bread. The Food Factory - Home (http://www.thefoodfactorybethany.com/)

mkjeeves
01-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Which Wich was my favorite but sadly, the one closest to me at NW Highway and Rockwell closed. (Edmond and Norman seem to still be open.) Panera is my second choice, in part because I usually get their soup to go along with it and I love their french onion soup. I also order online for rapid pick up so it's paid for and ready when I get there. Step past the line, grab my bag and go eat. I eat at Subway somewhat regularly too. Their chili is good but they changed it up where I don't know when they have it.

Jersey Boss
01-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Jersey Mike's, made "Mike's way. A regular size sandie is about 8-9 bucks and you will feel full w/o out buying chips. If you gotta have chips, the mini size will do you right.

Celebrator
01-22-2016, 01:26 PM
NEVER have understood the Jimmy John's hype. I find their subs to be the most bland (if not fresh, I'll give them that) sandwiches around. I find Subway to be much more flavorful. I don't eat at either more than about 3 times per year, but I go Subway. Anyone tried any of Hideaway's subs and sandwiches? I was going to go there last weekend but they wanted 25 minutes to prep it before I could pick it up! I had it all ordered and they told me that, and I cancelled. I was out with my two year old and was hoping to just swing by and pick it up on my way home. So I ended up at Jersey Mike's instead--meh, but better than JJ's.

HangryHippo
01-22-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm one of the odd ones, but I can't stand Lee's. Just nauseatingly bad.

FighttheGoodFight
01-22-2016, 02:07 PM
I have yet to find a good true deli in Oklahoma. When I travel to NY or Chicago....man I eat deli like 3 times a day. I have a problem.

Pete
01-22-2016, 02:14 PM
It's funny, there are tons of delis in L.A. and I never ate at them except when coerced by others.

Even the ones that received raves always disappointed me with blandness.

I know a good deli would do very well here but I don't miss having one.

tfvc.org
01-22-2016, 03:04 PM
I am probably going to get killed for this, but I like the veggie sub at City Bites. I love their relish and with the avocado on sundried tomato. Yum.

HangryHippo
01-22-2016, 03:12 PM
I am probably going to get killed for this, but I like the veggie sub at City Bites. I love their relish and with the avocado on sundried tomato. Yum.

City Bites, provided you're at a decent location, is actually still pretty dang good. Hobbie's is good when it's on, but sometimes their consistency isn't what it should be. Jersey Mike's is really pretty good, but there are times lately where the bread hasn't been good. Jimmy John's is tasteless. Subway is just gross lately, which is odd considering it's mostly a footlong of bread.

TheTravellers
01-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Wow, only 2 others recommend City Bites, kinda sad. Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's, Subway, and pretty much all the other national chains are (at their very best) almost not worth going to - not tasty, bland, just completely average (except Subway, which is below average).

City Bites is it for us - Garden Gobbler with shaved turkey, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, cheese, etc. all warmed up is really, really good. Pretty much every other sandwich they have is also good (not great, but pretty good). Their problem is that almost every location runs out of jalapeno cheese bread *during* lunch hours!

Stew
01-22-2016, 03:24 PM
I'm not much into sandwiches but I must say jersey mike's roast beef sub done mike's way is pretty tasty. Lee's sandwiches is a must try.

TexanOkie
01-22-2016, 03:25 PM
I like the veggie sub at City Bites. I love their relish and with the avocado on sundried tomato. Yum.

City Bites is it for us - Garden Gobbler with shaved turkey, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, cheese, etc. all warmed up is really, really good.

If you guys like these two sandwiches in particular, you should try the Green Turkey at Planet Sub.

baralheia
01-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Personally, my favorite sub is from Jersey Mike's - the Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak. Delicious stuff. Also really like their roast beef and provolone done mike's way. Jimmy John's also does a good roast beef sub, and the delivery (in most cases) is pretty good even though my building is kind of confusing to get to. Their portions are also smaller and more consistent, which makes JJ's subs better for people counting calories. Lee's is great, as long as you understand you're not getting a traditional American sub sandwich; you're getting a Vietnamese bahn mi sandwich. Subway is pretty meh for me.

Pete
01-22-2016, 03:40 PM
BTW, I just read that Subway's business is really suffering.

Their big selling point was "eat fresh" but there are so many better options if that is your priority; places that don't serve things straight out of plastic wrap, for starters.

Plus much more competition in the sub market in general and of course they just had a ton of unwanted publicity around the Jared Fogel disaster.

TheTravellers
01-22-2016, 05:54 PM
If you guys like these two sandwiches in particular, you should try the Green Turkey at Planet Sub.

Next time we're downtown, possibly, thx for the tip. We try to eat only at local places nowadays, though.

Dustin
01-22-2016, 07:24 PM

Cities Bites is still the best IMO. I eat at the one on 122nd regularly. It kills my wallet, but its worth it.

And their cookies are amazing.

soonermike81
01-22-2016, 07:43 PM
NEVER have understood the Jimmy John's hype. I find their subs to be the most bland (if not fresh, I'll give them that) sandwiches around. I find Subway to be much more flavorful. I don't eat at either more than about 3 times per year, but I go Subway.

I'm in the same boat. Tried it in Norman when they were first branching into the metro over 10 years ago. All my friends were raving about the "awesome new sandwich place on campus corner." I tried it and thought it was extremely bland. Tried again 2-3 times since and have never been happy. I'll go subway before I do JJ.

Personally, I'm a fan of city bites and jersey mikes. As for a Vietnamese banh mi, Lees is pretty weak, IMO. Quoc Bao or Lang's Bakery puts them to shame.

soonermike81
01-22-2016, 08:02 PM
oops, double post

Pete
01-22-2016, 08:08 PM
After all this talk, I tried Neptune's tonight.

Going for nostalgia -- used to eat there in high school in the late 70's -- I went for a half meatball and half supreme sub.

Both were very good and I think they are quite similar to the original product.

Bread there is still darn good.

OSUMom
01-22-2016, 08:55 PM
I've always liked Someplace Else.

Martin
01-22-2016, 10:34 PM
After all this talk, I tried Neptune's tonight.

Going for nostalgia -- used to eat there in high school in the late 70's -- I went for a half meatball and half supreme sub.

Both were very good and I think they are quite similar to the original product.

Bread there is still darn good.

huh. maybe it's what i ordered but the bread I had at the current neptune's was kind of like a baguette. it wasn't bad but wasn't anything like what I remembered from the neptune's of old which was this huge, soft roll that dwarfed the toppings inside of it. -M

Roger S
01-23-2016, 07:51 AM
huh. maybe it's what i ordered but the bread I had at the current neptune's was kind of like a baguette. it wasn't bad but wasn't anything like what I remembered from the neptune's of old which was this huge, soft roll that dwarfed the toppings inside of it. -M

Odd because I've never had any kind of bread there other than your latter description.... Nothing even close to resembling a baquette.... I do always order the Super Sub on wheat though.

Martin
01-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Odd because I've never had any kind of bread there other than your latter description.... Nothing even close to resembling a baquette.... I do always order the Super Sub on wheat though.

i believe i ordered a smaller sub. but... it's been a few years since i've been and i've only been there a couple times at that... so it's entirely possible that i'm not remembering correctly. -M

Martin
01-23-2016, 08:10 AM
oh... just thought of another sub place that's good. haven't been in a while and they might have closed but penny hill subs in norman is pretty good. about 25 years ago they started at sw 59th and penn in okc. they have a variety of sandwiches but their 'italian' sub has bread that is minimal and practically rolled around the meat and has some sort of relish... so good. -M

ctchandler
01-23-2016, 10:44 AM
oh... just thought of another sub place that's good. haven't been in a while and they might have closed but penny hill subs in norman is pretty good. about 25 years ago they started at sw 59th and penn in okc. they have a variety of sandwiches but their 'italian' sub has bread that is minimal and practically rolled around the meat and has some sort of relish... so good. -M

Martin,
It looks like they are still open. They have an active web page.
C. T.

Thomas Vu
01-24-2016, 12:18 AM
Still open, still good. They have a 2nd location now too.

Filthy
01-25-2016, 10:28 AM
This thread just further illustrates that everyone has different tastes. Too often, I see differing opinions met with astonishment when discussing food/restaurants in general.

Pete
01-25-2016, 11:24 AM
^

Haha... Yeah, taste in food is probably the most subjective judgment of all, other than perhaps music.