View Full Version : Best Pizza

Pages : [1] 2

OkiePoke
12-19-2015, 11:47 AM
What are your thoughts?

What area, what makes it great, what style, overall or a specialty pizza?

fromdust
12-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Empire. That is all.

Pete
12-19-2015, 12:03 PM
I really like the thin crust at Joey's on Film Row.

Mike_M
12-19-2015, 12:24 PM
I really like the thin crust at Joey's on Film Row.

I second Joey's. I know Empire is the popular choice and for good reason, but I feel like Joey's is largely ignored and underrated because of it's location. It's one of those places that never makes the top of your list, but then you have it and are like 'man why don't I come here more often?' The crust and red sauce are really unique and tasty.

Plutonic Panda
12-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Thin Crust at Joey's is by far the best pizza I've ever had. Anywhere. Except this place on Hollywood BLVD and Cahuenga. But it is the second best pizza I've ever had and the best in OKC, imo.

bchris02
12-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Joey's. It's the closest you will find in OKC to the NYC-style pizza you can get on the east coast. Hopefully they are able to hang on until the 21c hotel and the proposed residential comes online. I think it will be much more popular once more people become aware of Film Row.

ctchandler
12-19-2015, 02:05 PM
I haven't been to Joey's, but I really have enjoyed Papa Angelo's on N. W. 39th near University. Empire was really good too, but I would choose Papa Angelo's.
C. T.

Tundra
12-19-2015, 02:25 PM
The grateful head in Broken Bow. Its worth the drive, but its even better if you spend the weekend in one of the beautiful cabins and eat it a few days in a row.....lol

Easy180
12-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Empire. That is all.

Empire - Foghorn Leghorn

tfvc.org
12-19-2015, 02:57 PM
I like Sandros in Norman across from the HS, there is also one in Moore that is owned by his brother or nephew, the one in Norman is much better. Good almost authentic NY style pizza (they don't import water or anything crazy like that.).

Chadanth
12-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Empire is great for thin crust/NY-esque pizza. On the regular, I do prefer Pizzeria Gusto, and for mid-week, my go to is Hideaway. I need to try Joeys more often. Do they deliver?

Tundra
12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Empire is great for thin crust/NY-esque pizza. On the regular, I do prefer Pizzeria Gusto, and for mid-week, my go to is Hideaway. I need to try Joeys more often. Do they deliver?

Yes they do, not sure their radius though.

Pete
12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
^

Yes, Joey's delivers.

soonermike81
12-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Not in OKC but I think NY Pizza and Pasta in Norman trumps anything we have in the city. Here, I'm going with Empire. Will have to try Joeys again; wasn't blown away the first and only time I had it.

SomeGuy
12-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Love Saucee Sicillian, their Margherita Piza is one of the best pizzas I've ever had and it's a pretty decent size as well.

betts
12-19-2015, 09:50 PM
I love the Margherita pizza at Puzzeria Gusto.

warreng88
12-20-2015, 09:20 AM
I think is mostly a matter of preference. My wife loved the pizza at PSM over NY style pizza in NYC, which blew me away. I would say Empire, Joey's, Pizza 23 and am really liking Revolve on Memorial. Good pizza for one person and you get five minutes after you order it.

harp23
12-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Nomad hands down.

okatty
12-20-2015, 12:41 PM
I second Empire, Joey's et al but will add Humble Pie in Edmond to the fray. Best deep dish I know of in OKC area.

TheTravellers
12-20-2015, 01:07 PM
^^^ Yes, Humble Pie is just as good as Lou Malnati's, which has the best crust out of the major Chicago pizzerias, and has also been named best pizza in general by lots of organizations (firefighter head-to-head taste test, which is a seal of approval for me, lol). Joey's and Pizzeria Gusto are great for their crusts and ingredients, but Empire didn't do it for me, just too floppy and soggy.

Roger S
12-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Papa Angelo's and Humble Pie (Which is about to change their name) are my go to spots for pizza.... And I think I mentioned this on the spicy food thread but I'll mention it again here.... If you like spicy. Ask for a side of the ghost pepper sauce at Humble Pie to dip your pizza in.

OKCRT
12-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Papa Angelo's and Humble Pie (Which is about to change their name) are my go to spots for pizza.... And I think I mentioned this on the spicy food thread but I'll mention it again here.... If you like spicy. Ask for a side of the ghost pepper sauce at Humble Pie to dip your pizza in.

If anyone remembers Godfathers Pizza back in the 70s and early 80s tell me this. Where can I get something close to that? That was very good Pizza and of course they went down hill but in the early days it couldn't be beat IMO. I think that was more of a Chicago style pizza if I'm not mistaken. But it's not the same as the Godfathers stuff you find today,if you can find one.

I like Papa Angelos myself. Also off topic but does anyone know when White Castle is coming to OKC?

OkiePoke
12-20-2015, 06:13 PM
If anyone remembers Godfathers Pizza back in the 70s and early 80s tell me this. Where can I get something close to that? That was very good Pizza and of course they went down hill but in the early days it couldn't be beat IMO. I think that was more of a Chicago style pizza if I'm not mistaken. But it's not the same as the Godfathers stuff you find today,if you can find one.

I like Papa Angelos myself. Also off topic but does anyone know when White Castle is coming to OKC?

I used to work at Godfather's back in high school, mid 2000's. The problem with Godfather's is they are gas station pizza now. It is franchised and then you order ingredients from approved vendors. I worked at the one in Enid and we put out a pretty good product.

okatty
12-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Since we are recalling past OKC pizza locations - how many here ever went to Shakeys or Shotgun Sams? Their pizza wasn't that great that I recall but sort of was an event to get to go (for me at least). And also the old Crystal's Pizza which was a pre-cursor to C-Cheese type places.

Achilleslastand
12-20-2015, 07:38 PM

Tried the little Godfathers in Loves up on 1-35 and have to say it was horrible and not even close to what it used to be, be forewarned. Sammy's Pizza over on N Western back in the day had some pretty good pizza as did Shotgun Sam's and Shakee's and Pizza Planet. Ditto for Crystal's.
Italian Jim's out in Yukon made a pretty good pizza as does Humble Pie. Had one from Joey's a while back and wasn't impressed. Overpriced and trying to hard to be hip/trendy doesn't necessarily mean a good pizza.

Roger S
12-20-2015, 07:43 PM
If anyone remembers Godfathers Pizza back in the 70s and early 80s tell me this. Where can I get something close to that?

I think Pizzini's Pizza is similar to the Godfather's I remember eating as a kid... Not an exact match but I thought it was pretty close.

Don't hold your breath there ever being a White Castle here.

soonermike81
12-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Since we are recalling past OKC pizza locations - how many here ever went to Shakeys or Shotgun Sams? Their pizza wasn't that great that I recall but sort of was an event to get to go (for me at least). And also the old Crystal's Pizza which was a pre-cursor to C-Cheese type places.

I never knew shakeys was in OKC. Went to one for the first time and only time in Japan, then have seen them all over Los Angeles as well. Wonder why it never survived here. It's been a while, but thought it was pretty tasty pizza.

okatty
12-20-2015, 08:50 PM
The one I specifically recall is Shotgun Sams which I think was a Shakey's related place but I could be wrong. I was pretty sure there were Shakeys in OKC but maybe just in Tulsa. I recall the player piano and sort of a dance hall type area.

Pete
12-20-2015, 08:52 PM
There was a Skakey's at NW 39th & Ann Arbor throughout my high school years and we used to go after football games. That was until My Pi opened and everyone moved over there.

Of the 60's / 70's places that included Shakey's, Shotgun Sam's and Pizza Planet, PIzza Planet was by far my favorite. Had a very unique crust that I really loved and I could walk to the one at NW 63rd and Meridian.

corwin1968
12-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Pizza is an area where I'm really easy to please. I'm just as happy going down to All-American Pizza and paying $9 for a large supreme and drink as I am going to a fancy restaurant with a wood burning oven and top quality ingredients. Wheat crust, tomato sauce seasoned with basil, oregano & garlic, cheese, select vegetables, select meats........it's a perfect storm of deliciousness and it would be hard for anyplace not named Little Ceasers to screw it up.

ctchandler
12-20-2015, 09:44 PM
When I mentioned Papa Angelo's, I forgot about Nomad II. It is the original Sussy's pizza and really good. And by the way, there were several Shakey's franchises in the metro area. The last one is now Roundup in Del City. I have no idea if they are any good or not since I haven't been there. We used to order the Portugese linguica. Not bad for a franchise.
C. T.

Roger S
12-21-2015, 06:28 AM
When I mentioned Papa Angelo's, I forgot about Nomad II. It is the original Sussy's pizza and really good. And by the way, there were several Shakey's franchises in the metro area. The last one is now Roundup in Del City. I have no idea if they are any good or not since I haven't been there. We used to order the Portugese linguica. Not bad for a franchise.
C. T.

Yeah... I was thinking that Round-Up was a Shakey's when I was in Highschool.

I can't recommend going to Round-Up for the pizza but I still go there occasionally for the fried chicken.

Bellaboo
12-21-2015, 07:08 AM
Anyone remember Neds ? Over by NW Classen high school.

OKCRT
12-21-2015, 08:30 AM
I think Pizzini's Pizza is similar to the Godfather's I remember eating as a kid... Not an exact match but I thought it was pretty close.

Don't hold your breath there ever being a White Castle here.

Thanks,I will have to try Pizzini's. I get a craving for the real Godfathers now and then and even tried the one in Loves on I-35 and that wasn't close to the Original Godfathers. In fact,it was pretty bad.

I have been watching for a White Castle to pop up in OKC for years and nothing. Must be a territorial thing I assume. I think I will send them an email and find out why.

Urbanized
12-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Anyone who is nostalgic for Shakey's should visit the banjo museum in Bricktown. They have a room that is a recreation of Shakey's, which they credit with a resurgence in interest in the instrument. Unfortunately, no pizza. :(

Jersey Boss
12-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Not in OKC but I think NY Pizza and Pasta in Norman trumps anything we have in the city. Here, I'm going with Empire. Will have to try Joeys again; wasn't blown away the first and only time I had it.

This +1 . The original owners were connected to Sandros through family. They sold to the current owner but are still good. The only issue I have with them and Sandro is the closure on Sunday. Whadda ya gonna do?

Roger S
12-21-2015, 10:23 AM
I have been watching for a White Castle to pop up in OKC for years and nothing. Must be a territorial thing I assume. I think I will send them an email and find out why.

It is... I believe they use a distribution system and they only build within so many miles from their nearest hub... So I don't see us ever getting one here... Heck, they originated in Wichita, KS and they don't even have a Kansas location at this time.

Jersey Boss
12-21-2015, 10:29 AM
It is... I believe they use a distribution system and they only build within so many miles from their nearest hub... So I don't see us ever getting one here... Heck, they originated in Wichita, KS and they don't even have a Kansas location at this time.

Exactly right, just like In N Out. White Castles are all corporate owned as well, no franchises. I get my fix in Fenton Mo. whenever I am up that way. They put one in in a hotel in Vegas but I don't know how it gets supplied.

Urbanized
12-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Wichita has quite the fast food history, being original home to Pizza Hut and White Castle. A number of years ago you might have included Taco Tico as a chain worth bragging about, but alas...how the mighty have fallen.

Roger S
12-21-2015, 11:11 AM
A number of years ago you might have included Taco Tico as a chain worth bragging about, but alas...how the mighty have fallen.

Yeah and even most of the locations left around Wichita have closed in recent years... Fortunately I can still get my Taco Tico Sancho fix in Shawnee or Duncan.

Tavia
12-21-2015, 12:27 PM
There is a decent Taco Tico in Claremore.

Uptowner
12-21-2015, 08:21 PM
I used to make the drive to the Shawnee Taco Tico with my college buddies. Rotating designated drivers...then we all got married. I still go when I'm in the area and slip the manager $20 to let me take as many hot sauce packets I can fit in my bag.

Roundup was a shakeys and when I was in highschool hadn't changed a shred of interior or recipe.

You always think of White Castle as a good thing until you open up your third or so slimy slider and realize how disgusting it really is.

People keep mentioning NY pizza in Norman, it's been over a decade but I remember getting a seriously superior product when ordering whole pies vs by the slice. I rarely get down there these days how does pizza shuttle fare? I remember it fondly and had the biggest crush on one of the owners daughters.

Not to get too far off topic but does anyone agree that a Jewish deli would not absolutely KILL in OKC? Not a hipster artisanal baked bread "my take" on a deconstructed pastrami sandwich paired with a $12 beer. Not a rustic bar with a sandwich menu. But a Katz, Canters, Kenny&Ziggy's. Pure old school delicatessen where a $16 sandwich gets its own platter and will feed me for 2 days. With extra sour pickles and a bowl of matzah ball soup please.

Pete
12-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Yes, a true Jewish-style deli is a big hole in the OKC dining scene and if done well could really kill it here.

Oddly, when I lived in L.A. and they were all over the place, I only went when dragged by someone else.

ctchandler
12-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Anyone remember Neds ? Over by NW Classen high school.

Bellaboo,
Really greasy and really good pizza. It is currently Chow's (I think).
C. T.

ctchandler
12-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Yes, a true Jewish-style deli is a big hole in the OKC dining scene and if done well could really kill it here.

Oddly, when I lived in L.A. and they were all over the place, I only went when dragged by someone else.

Pete,
We had a "true Jewish-style" deli at 63rd and May a few (quite a few) years ago. The first time I ate there I asked for a pastrami and swiss on rye and she wouldn't put the swiss on the sandwich but did provide a small plate with a slice of swiss cheese. That's when I learned that they don't mix dairy and meat. Unfortunately, it was only there for about two years. It was really a good deli.
C. T.

Tundra
12-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Taco Tico history, a few years ago Tico brought in new management that was going to grow the company like neve before, the first thing they did was changed up all the recipes, All the locations embraced the new direction, with the exception of 1 that would be Shawnee they stuck with all the old recipes, it almost completely destroyed Taco Tico they closed a lot of stores due to this screw up. Needless to say they have switched back to the original recipes and fired those in charge of the decision to change them in the first place.

bradh
12-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Reading these threads are great for a newer OKC person, like a time machine

In regards to Wichita, don't forget Freddy's HQ is there as well.

The original Pizza Hut on WSU's campus is literally a hut, looks like an outhouse!

Tundra
12-21-2015, 09:55 PM

The original Pizza Hut on WSU's campus is literally a hut, looks like an outhouse!

I remember the red velvet drapes , red and white check table cloths, candle lite tables , it almost had a fine dining feel to it....and it was really good, Why do these companies screw things up almost beyond repair?

Rover
12-21-2015, 11:00 PM
I remember the red velvet drapes , red and white check table cloths, candle lite tables , it almost had a fine dining feel to it....and it was really good, Why do these companies screw things up almost beyond repair?
Maybe because it has been wildly popular and has made thousands of people lots and lots of money? I guess being wildly successful really is screwing things up.

Achilleslastand
12-21-2015, 11:17 PM

Pizza Hut as well as KFC and Taco Bell all used to be much much better in the 80s and before.....
In a word what ruined them.....Yum Foods which now owns all of those brands among others.

corwin1968
12-22-2015, 07:01 AM
Pizza Hut as well as KFC and Taco Bell all used to be much much better in the 80s and before.....
In a word what ruined them.....Yum Foods which now owns all of those brands among others.

In my experience, YUM ruins every brand they get their hands on.

Roger S
12-22-2015, 07:09 AM

I blame the "Suicide Kids" for ruining most things these days.... We all knew one growing up. The kid that would go to the soda fountain and mix every flavor of soda available.... Well they are the ones to blame for making menus at places like Taco Bell dang near unrecognizable..... I know I was perfectly happy with Tacos-Burritos-Frijoles when I was growing up but now you have all these crazy combinations that only a mind suicidal enough to mix all the soda flavors together could come up with.... That's my theory anyway.

At least Taco Tico and Taco Mayo still offer a Taco Burger....... And to try and steer this back on topic... If you remember the Taco Pizza that Godfather's used to offer... Rodney's Pizza in Purcell offers a pretty decent version of it as well as one of my other favorite combinations of hotlinks and jalapenos.

White Peacock
12-22-2015, 07:36 AM
I grew up with the Taco Bell bean burrito being one of my staple foods. Honestly, it seems to be pretty much the same food item now that it was in the 80s. Same with the other menu basics; tacos, soft tacos, etc. A lot has been added, much of which is also good in its own right, but the classics are still the same.

The biggest change came back around 2006, when a bunch of people got sick from Taco Bell items that contained green onions. They quickly took them off the menu, and unfortunately never put them back on, so any item that should have green onions at a Taco Bell (remember the cheesarito?) goes without.

EDIT: I'm the odd duck that comes to the defense of Taco Bell.

Urbanized
12-22-2015, 08:45 AM

Forgot about Freddy's. Good call.

Regarding Pizza Hut, the one where I worked in high school (West 21st, R.I.P.) was at the time the oldest location remaining in the chain. I still remember our store number, 301001. 301 was the region, 001 being the store designation. At the time the company had just been bought by Pepsico, though Pizza Hut was still headquartered in Wichita. I worked at HQ a few times, making personal pan pizzas for sale at the Wichita River Festival, and also was taken over there for some research and development exercises using real-world employees. It was a freaking fortress, with berms along a winding road leading to it and high security. I was in awe.

We were an R&D store, so we often had product that other stores didn't carry, as we were doing test marketing. I worked there for about three years and have some pretty wild stories; some of which can be told and some which are best left untold. I have super fond memories. My last year there was my senior year ('86), just before I moved to the OKC metro for college (and apparently for the remainder of my life).

1986 was the year that they moved that original "hut" to the WSU campus, and I remember the talk of it being moved was a big deal, though the actual move happened after I left. IIRC it was sortof derelict and "rediscovered", similar to how the Wyatt Earp jail that is now at Cowtown was for a time serving as a simple storage shed in a back yard (belonging to some family friends, actually).

Regarding Taco Tico, the guys who bought it and ran it into the ground were former KFC executives, and considering the Tricon/Yum connection with Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell I figure they came to be aware of TT or at least formulated the idea to buy it because of that Tricon connection to Wichita.

Urbanized
12-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Before it was YUM it was Tricon, and JUST the three (PH/TB/KFC). It was also at the time owned by Pepsico/Frito-Lay. Although I didn't really notice it because the changes were happening at the time I started, I remember "old-timers" that I worked with (in retrospect they were mostly people in their late teens and early twenties) bitching and moaning about the changes. Our truck deliveries no longer came from Pizza Hut, they came from Tricon, and right next to our ingredients were items for TB and KFC.

Achilleslastand
12-22-2015, 11:01 AM
I blame the "Suicide Kids" for ruining most things these days.... We all knew one growing up. The kid that would go to the soda fountain and mix every flavor of soda available.... Well they are the ones to blame for making menus at places like Taco Bell dang near unrecognizable..... I know I was perfectly happy with Tacos-Burritos-Frijoles when I was growing up but now you have all these crazy combinations that only a mind suicidal enough to mix all the soda flavors together could come up with.... That's my theory anyway.

At least Taco Tico and Taco Mayo still offer a Taco Burger....... And to try and steer this back on topic... If you remember the Taco Pizza that Godfather's used to offer... Rodney's Pizza in Purcell offers a pretty decent version of it as well as one of my other favorite combinations of hotlinks and jalapenos.

Speaking of hotlinks, Jo's Famous Pizza in Edmond/Purcell makes some pretty good pizza. Their meat pizza which includes chicken and hotlinks is pretty tasty.

Roger S
12-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Speaking of hotlinks, Jo's Famous Pizza in Edmond/Purcell makes some pretty good pizza. Their meat pizza which includes chicken and hotlinks is pretty tasty.

Rodney is from the same family.... It's my understanding that Jo's was supposed to have passed to him but there was a family squabble so he opened his own place.

Bullbear
12-22-2015, 11:40 AM
I use to love Ken's Pizza.. well I guess I still do.. but when they re-introduced it at Mazzios I discovered at my current age the spicy sauce gives me heartburn big time!. not sure if they still offer it all the time I think it was just limited time but could be wrong. I never cared for Hideaway pizza other than the Stillwater location until they started using the original dough in all locations as "thin" crust. NOw I love hideaway again and we go to the one on Broadway several times a month.

soonermike81
12-22-2015, 11:59 AM
This +1 . The original owners were connected to Sandros through family. They sold to the current owner but are still good. The only issue I have with them and Sandro is the closure on Sunday. Whadda ya gonna do?

Didn't realize that. Something that I heard, but have not verified is that there's a NY Pizza & Pasta in Beaumont, TX that is supposedly a family member of the Norman owners. My wife was interning in Beaumont way back during college, and popped in there for what she was hoping to be really good pizza. Well, the owners claimed to be cousins, I think, of the Norman people. She said the pizza was just as good as the one in Norman.

soonermike81
12-22-2015, 12:11 PM
People keep mentioning NY pizza in Norman, it's been over a decade but I remember getting a seriously superior product when ordering whole pies vs by the slice. I rarely get down there these days how does pizza shuttle fare? I remember it fondly and had the biggest crush on one of the owners daughters.

Not to get too far off topic but does anyone agree that a Jewish deli would not absolutely KILL in OKC? Not a hipster artisanal baked bread "my take" on a deconstructed pastrami sandwich paired with a $12 beer. Not a rustic bar with a sandwich menu. But a Katz, Canters, Kenny&Ziggy's. Pure old school delicatessen where a $16 sandwich gets its own platter and will feed me for 2 days. With extra sour pickles and a bowl of matzah ball soup please.

Pizza Shuttle, IMO, is nothing even close to NY Pizza & Pasta. For us, it was cheap late-night munchies that would deliver. Comparable to chains like Little Caesars.

Regarding a Jewish delicatessen, I agree 100%. I love Katz's, Canter's, and Kenny & Ziggys! Doesn't get much better than a massive corned beef, pastrami, slaw, w/ russian dressing sandwich and a bowl of matzo ball soup. Probably my favorite sandwich of all time behind a Chicago style combo w/ hot pepers.