View Full Version : Best Asian food?

Pages : 1 [2]

Questor
12-28-2015, 08:54 PM
In the core Tokyo for Japanese food. Very authentic with both Japanese and Okinawan dishes. They also have good soups and pork cutlets. If you don't mind driving to MWC or Moore, try Volcano Sushi. It has become my favorite sushi place; they have more of a New York style going on.

For Korean, there's Chae in the core (which is more of a fusion), or All About Cha (great tea and less fusiony Korean), or for something more authentic there's Dong-A in Moore or several places in MWC like Korea House or Seoul Garden.

I think All About Cha is even opening a Bricktown location.

Chinese... For authentic, I still have a soft spot in my heart for Grand House. Also Fungs is very good.

Vietnamese... Phoenix Asian Bistro (it's a Chinese / Vietnamese fusion, their pho and lemongrass rocks), Pho Lien Hoa, Lee's.

Hmm maybe Lido, don't know haven't been in a long while. Probably more known for Vietnamese.

Thai... In the core probably Sala Thai. In Edmond, Norman, or MWC I would go with Thai Delight. Panang is also very good.

Indian... Taj in the core. But the best in the metro is Himalayas in Moore.

Polynesian.... Sadly, as far as I know we still have not hopped on this fad yet.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
12-29-2015, 05:17 PM
I like the pork and shrimp egg rolls at Lee's alot.

Sometimes the banh mi sandwiches at Lee's tear up the roof of my mouth, so the last couple times I went for one I ordered them from the counter at Super cao Nguyen. They have some better bread IMO. 3.25 cash.

Pho lien Hoa only takes cash, but they have that ATM right there, lol!

Pete
12-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Had lunch at Pho Lien Hoa today.

Had one of their beef pho bowls and it was very good. Got the large size which was just way too much food for me.

What an operation! They really work that place and turn tables very quickly. Watch lots and lots of people flow through there, through down their cash, then others came right behind.

I'm tempted to try some of their rice dishes as they had some interesting sauces and spicy peppers on each table.

corwin1968
12-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Had lunch at Pho Lien Hoa today.

Had one of their beef pho bowls and it was very good. Got the large size which was just way too much food for me.

What an operation! They really work that place and turn tables very quickly. Watch lots and lots of people flow through there, through down their cash, then others came right behind.

I'm tempted to try some of their rice dishes as they had some interesting sauces and spicy peppers on each table.

Did you step next door and try the made-on-site fresh, fried tofu?

Pete
12-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Did you step next door and try the made-on-site fresh, fried tofu?

No, but it certainly looked intriguing!

Pete
01-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Had Thai Kitchen for carry-out tonight...

Had the #19 (chili sauce) with chicken and asked for it spicy. Was really, really good. One of my favorite dishes in OKC thus far.

The food was spicy but not overwhelmingly so and I like that they use ground chicken, as it allows all the various flavors to blend a bit better.

Also had an order of spring rolls which were just okay... Will try something else next time.

soonermike81
01-13-2016, 07:37 AM
Wanted to bump this thread as I tried Fung's for dim sum recently for the first time ever. Saw a lot of people on here recommend it and I am surprised at myself for taking so long to try this place out. We've been Grand House patrons for dim sum over the past 10-15 years, but I think we may have just been converted to Fung's. There was a small group of people waiting when I arrived to get two tables for 16 of us. Being that the place is tiny, I was nervous that we'd be waiting forever. Not the case here; they were able to clear one large and one small table for us within 10 minutes. In communicating with the owner/manager, she was very accommodating. The food was excellent and staff was very friendly. The biggest difference we noticed was that many of the dishes seemed a lot less greasy than GH. The chicken feet was delicious and the shumai was just as good as any other place we've had. One thing I was extremely happy with was this roll/bao type thing that had a gooey egg custard in it. Never had it before and it was the perfect sweet dessert. I recall coming home to OKC several years back and seeing that they had opened up on Classen, but after talking to the owner, I found out they occupied the space on 23rd that is now Taj. Never realized they were there for a few years. Not ruling GH out for future dim sum, but Fung's has def worked itself into the rotation.

trousers
01-13-2016, 07:55 AM
^^^
While not a huge dim-sum fan I will always take Fung's over Grand House.

trousers
01-13-2016, 07:56 AM
One of my favorite places for rice place is Pho Thai Nguyen.

FighttheGoodFight
01-13-2016, 08:09 AM
When I lived downtown I would hit up Sala Thai on 23rd every couple of weeks. Nice family with good food.

Thomas Vu
01-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Being that the place is tiny, I was nervous that we'd be waiting forever.

One thing I liked about Fungs being small, the carts don't take forever to get around to you.

citizenkane
04-12-2016, 06:32 PM
For Korean, I enjoy the restaurant inside Terry Mart (the Mexican/Korean grocery store) around NW 16th and Drexel. They have really good soondubu jjigae and yukgaejang.

corwin1968
04-12-2016, 07:25 PM
For Korean, I enjoy the restaurant inside Terry Mart (the Mexican/Korean grocery store) around NW 16th and Drexel. They have really good soondubu jjigae and yukgaejang.

El Mariachi? My wife goes in there weekly for the Korean deli. It's an interesting store with good food!

Thomas Vu
04-13-2016, 12:10 AM
Their rice is questionable. Got moths in a couple of bags of rice.

Bullbear
04-13-2016, 07:33 AM
For Korean I like Korean House in MWC. went last night.. so much food.. so delicious.
I wish I could buy a huge Jar of their KimChi

zefferoni
05-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Anybody know of a place with good Japanese curry? Tokyo's the only place I've had it so far.
There's a chain in Japan (with a few in Hawaii and California) called CoCo's Ichibanya that's delicious, I've been craving Japanese curry ever since.

Pete
12-18-2017, 11:02 AM
There is a new place at NW 150th & Penn called Teriyaki Madness; it's a national chain with a local franchisee.

Tried it over the weekend and ordered the spicy chicken bowl with white rice and sauteed veggies.

It's a small place next to the crazy busy Neighborhood Jam and the service was very friendly and helpful.

As I was ordering (around 11:30 AM; they open at 11) I noticed prep work behind the counter where they had a huge mound of cooked and chopped chicken. So clearly, they don't cook every chicken dish when you order it... I suspect they just heat it up.

The bowl was $8.50 before tax but it was huge, even though the other option was a 'plate' which I assume is bigger still. No spiciness that I could discern but they did have Sriracha and teriyaki sauce on the table.

It was good but the chicken was a bit over-cooked and not very fresh, likely due to the re-heating I mentioned.

I'll probably give it another try because I love teriyaki. However, they do that thing where they add a tip line when it's all counter service, something I detest as it puts you in this weird situation to add (or not add) tip as the person stands over you.

Uptowner
12-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Has anyone tried the shabu shabu place in Edmond? It’s been on my radar but I hate driving to Canada for anything less than spectacular. I would love to see a Japanese place specializing in varieties of hot pots and yaniku, which is the Japanese version of Korean BBQ.

There’s a Chinese place called “party base”that I drive by daily and wondered about. Finally did the research and they specialize in family style seafood dishes, sizzle platters, and most excitedly, they feature some sort of Chinese yakitori BBQ skewers. I’m currently organizing a posse so we can throw down on everything.

Roger S
12-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Has anyone tried the shabu shabu place in Edmond?

www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=4375&p=1010238&highlight=muu+shabu#post1010238

sooner88
12-18-2017, 12:21 PM
I tried Tsubaki Szechuan in the Super Cao Nguyen center for the first time last week (opened in November I believe) and really liked it. There were a ton of things on the menu so I want to go back and try more, but I had the pork in garlic sauce and split the dumplings in chili oil and the soup dumplings (highlight of the meal). Szechuan peppers have a really nice kick to them too.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tsubaki-szechuan-oklahoma-city

Roger S
12-18-2017, 01:04 PM
I tried Tsubaki Szechuan in the Super Cao Nguyen center for the first time last weeky[/url]

Drove by last week and it didn't look open yet. Glad to hear it is because I've been wanting to try it since I heard about it.

sooner88
12-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Drove by last week and it didn't look open yet. Glad to hear it is because I've been wanting to try it since I heard about it.

They're not open on Wednesdays and they close from 3:00 - 5:00, but definitely worth checking out.

Roger S
12-18-2017, 01:27 PM
They're not open on Wednesdays and they close from 3:00 - 5:00, but definitely worth checking out.

Ahhhh... That would explain why it looked close. Ate at Lido last Wednesday and drove by to check out progress on Tsubaki on the way back.

Time to see if I can find a menu for them now.

u50254082
12-18-2017, 02:09 PM
There is a new place at NW 150th & Penn called Teriyaki Madness; it's a national chain with a local franchisee.

Tried it over the weekend and ordered the spicy chicken bowl with white rice and sauteed veggies.

It's a small place next to the crazy busy Neighborhood Jam and the service was very friendly and helpful.

As I was ordering (around 11:30 AM; they open at 11) I noticed prep work behind the counter where they had a huge mound of cooked and chopped chicken. So clearly, they don't cook every chicken dish when you order it... I suspect they just heat it up.

The bowl was $8.50 before tax but it was huge, even though the other option was a 'plate' which I assume is bigger still. No spiciness that I could discern but they did have Sriracha and teriyaki sauce on the table.

It was good but the chicken was a bit over-cooked and not very fresh, likely due to the re-heating I mentioned.

I'll probably give it another try because I love teriyaki. However, they do that thing where they add a tip line when it's all counter service, something I detest as it puts you in this weird situation to add (or not add) tip as the person stands over you.

Thanks for the tip! I've eaten at this place out west and thought it was alright.

As for the tip line on the receipt - agree. I have no guilt about striking it out and boldly writing the total on the final line. Guilt tripping for tips is unethical.

no1cub17
12-18-2017, 02:28 PM
I tried Tsubaki Szechuan in the Super Cao Nguyen center for the first time last week (opened in November I believe) and really liked it. There were a ton of things on the menu so I want to go back and try more, but I had the pork in garlic sauce and split the dumplings in chili oil and the soup dumplings (highlight of the meal). Szechuan peppers have a really nice kick to them too.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tsubaki-szechuan-oklahoma-city

We ate there recently. Overall good experience, huge menu, good service, friendly staff. Only complaint is the food was OILY. I mean OILY. Like wow, really oily. Tasty though, and the spicy dishes were indeed spicy which is always a plus. Maybe my palate has changed, but that would be my one hesitation in going back.

u50254082
12-18-2017, 07:41 PM
We ate there recently. Overall good experience, huge menu, good service, friendly staff. Only complaint is the food was OILY. I mean OILY. Like wow, really oily. Tasty though, and the spicy dishes were indeed spicy which is always a plus. Maybe my palate has changed, but that would be my one hesitation in going back.

I haven't gone yet but if the name of the place is correct, then oily would be correct for a sichuan place. With a lot of the existing Chinese places in OKC being cantonese style, real sichuan is going to be quite different.

Roger S
01-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Finally tried it at lunch today and while I'm no aficionado on Sichuan cuisine I know what I like and I liked the braised beef in chili oil and pork dumplings in chili oil I had.

And yes both were oily but I wouldn't expect it not to be since both had chili oil in the name.

Pete
01-23-2018, 12:41 PM
Ooooh that looks good.

sooner88
01-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Looks great. Has anyone tried Tsubaki Sushi on MacArthur? This came up when I was looking up Tsubaki Szechuan before we went, and it had great reviews as well.

Roger S
01-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Looks great. Has anyone tried Tsubaki Sushi on MacArthur? This came up when I was looking up Tsubaki Szechuan before we went, and it had great reviews as well.

May be the same people because the wrapper on the chopsticks had the address and info for Tsubaki Sushi on it.

Roger S
01-23-2018, 01:01 PM
Ooooh that looks good.

I would definitely eat it again and it was a nice level of spiciness. Enough to make the lips tingle and the nose run but not blow out the palate.

Pete
01-23-2018, 01:07 PM

I haven't been but have heard nothing but very good things, even from people who live in the core and drive their tails out there.

sooner88
01-23-2018, 01:13 PM
I haven't been but have heard nothing but very good things, even from people who live in the core and drive their tails out there.

That's what I keep hearing, need to try soon.

Thomas Vu
01-23-2018, 03:08 PM
I enjoy it. For whatever reason they rank being #18 on some ranking.

TheirTheir
01-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Ate at Tsubaki Szechuan this weekend and was blown away. My large group ordered 7 or 8 different things to share and ALL were very good. Deserves it's own thread!

Uptowner
01-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Those coriander lamb chops! It’s definitely a place to eat with lots of friends so you can sample.

Jeepnokc
02-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Feast/Fuze? Taste of China?:LolLolLol

Seriously though....any decent asian or other ethnic buffets in town? My crew likes those at lunch. The only decent ones I have found is Golden Palace on 15th, Taj (indian) and Thai House on NW 23rd The asian buffett at 23/classen is ok but the food is not kept hot enough on the buffet

Roger S
02-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Feast/Fuze? Taste of China?:LolLolLol

Seriously though....any decent asian or other ethnic buffets in town? My crew likes those at lunch. The only decent ones I have found is Golden Palace on 15th, Taj (indian) and Thai House on NW 23rd The asian buffett at 23/classen is ok but the food is not kept hot enough on the buffet

About the only buffet I still go to, and it's been over a year since I was here, is Berta's on 29th Street, and now a second location on Penn where Nino's #2 was back in the day.

It's authentic Mexican. not Okie-Mex, but that would fall in your ethnic qualification..... Helps to be adventurous there because I'm not always sure what some of the things on the buffet are but I've never had anything bad there.

BridgeBurner
02-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Has anyone mentioned Taste of Korea in film row? I found that place late November and have already been three times (would have been four but my friend refused to go anywhere that didn't serve alcohol). Service is slow, there is a burned down trailer house literally falling into the parking lot, but good lord is it some good Korean food.
Highly HIGHLY recommend the LA Galbi, honestly the best short ribs I've ever had; I cook a lot of bulgogi and dakgalbi at home but I have nothing on these guys.

Roger S
02-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Has anyone mentioned Taste of Korea in film row? I found that place late November and have already been three times (would have been four but my friend refused to go anywhere that didn't serve alcohol). Service is slow, there is a burned down trailer house literally falling into the parking lot, but good lord is it some good Korean food.
Highly HIGHLY recommend the LA Galbi, honestly the best short ribs I've ever had; I cook a lot of bulgogi and dakgalbi at home but I have nothing on these guys.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43210

BridgeBurner
02-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Haha looks like I have you to thank for lodging it in my subconscious, I'm getting hungry just thinking about that place

corwin1968
11-23-2021, 12:21 PM
Resurrecting an old thread.

My wife and I ate at Wa-ha-ha Chinese restaurant on Broadway, in Edmond. We had eaten there once before but don't recall much about that visit and have heard many times that it is good. After eating there last night, I can say it's legit. On par with Szechuan Bistro, Dot Wo and that Fusion place on Hefner & Rockwell. We ordered "Hot & spicy chicken" which was cut up pieces of chicken cooked in some kind of Szechuan pepper corn sauce/marinade. Very tingly. We also had "sweet & sour spareribs", which were fall off the bone delicious. As our veggie, we ordered bok choy with garlic, which was outstanding.

Here is a photo of the menu from Yelp, showing the two main dishes we ordered. The chicken was a drier dish (not in a bad way, this photo just looks like a saucy dish, and it wasn't) than what appears in this photo but the sparerib photo is right on.

For anyone not familiar with this place, it's in an old Taco Bell building on the West side of Broadway, sort of across from the big OnCue.

Pete
11-23-2021, 12:30 PM
^

Oh my, that looks and sounds so good.

Thomas Vu
11-23-2021, 05:11 PM

My wife and I ate at Wa-ha-ha Chinese restaurant on Broadway, in Edmond. We had eaten there once before but don't recall much about that visit and have heard many times that it is good. After eating there last night, I can say it's legit. On par with Szechuan Bistro, Dot Wo and that Fusion place on Hefner & Rockwell. We ordered "Hot & spicy chicken" which was cut up pieces of chicken cooked in some kind of Szechuan pepper corn sauce/marinade. Very tingly. We also had "sweet & sour spareribs", which were fall off the bone delicious. As our veggie, we ordered bok choy with garlic, which was outstanding.

Here is a photo of the menu from Yelp, showing the two main dishes we ordered. The chicken was a drier dish (not in a bad way, this photo just looks like a saucy dish, and it wasn't) than what appears in this photo but the sparerib photo is right on.

For anyone not familiar with this place, it's in an old Taco Bell building on the West side of Broadway, sort of across from the big OnCue.

I can vouch for wa ha ha. They have an authentic menu similar to Szechuan bistro, Szechuan story, and Chuanyu (the place on Hefner and rockwell). More of a homey feel.

Jersey Boss
11-23-2021, 07:31 PM

Dang, Mao has been dead for decades. Must be pickled.

corwin1968
12-21-2021, 05:35 PM
We were coming out of Costcos today and there was a very strong smell of those green waffles they make on the weekends, in the foyer of Super Cao Nguyen, so of course we immediately started craving Chinese food and headed back to Wa-Ha-Ha for a second visit. We considered Szechuan Bistro, since it was so close, but we've been there so many times and Wa-Ha-Ha is new to us.

Well, the food was just as excellent as the last visit. This time, we got the two entrees pictured, which looked nothing like these photos but were delicious, especially the curry chicken dish. Just enough kick to make my head sweat but not too spicy so as to be unpleasant. We also got bok choy sauteed in garlic again.

I ordered Kung Pao chicken to go and I must say, I did not enjoy it. At all. I've found it's very common for the restaurants that do mind blowing authentic Asian food, to not make good "Americanized" Chinese dishes. I'm sure that because the "Americanized" versions I'm used to bear little resemblance to their authentic counterparts, mostly being more fried and more sweet.

Anyway, I had been hoping to see in this thread where someone had visited Wa-ha-ha for the first time and enjoyed it, so here's some more encouragement. The sign on the door said they will be CLOSED on Christmas Day, so no "A Christmas Story" ideas apply.

Thomas Vu
12-22-2021, 04:52 PM
We were coming out of Costcos today and there was a very strong smell of those green waffles they make on the weekends, in the foyer of Super Cao Nguyen, so of course we immediately started craving Chinese food and headed back to Wa-Ha-Ha for a second visit. We considered Szechuan Bistro, since it was so close, but we've been there so many times and Wa-Ha-Ha is new to us.

Well, the food was just as excellent as the last visit. This time, we got the two entrees pictured, which looked nothing like these photos but were delicious, especially the curry chicken dish. Just enough kick to make my head sweat but not too spicy so as to be unpleasant. We also got bok choy sauteed in garlic again.

I ordered Kung Pao chicken to go and I must say, I did not enjoy it. At all. I've found it's very common for the restaurants that do mind blowing authentic Asian food, to not make good "Americanized" Chinese dishes. I'm sure that because the "Americanized" versions I'm used to bear little resemblance to their authentic counterparts, mostly being more fried and more sweet.

Anyway, I had been hoping to see in this thread where someone had visited Wa-ha-ha for the first time and enjoyed it, so here's some more encouragement. The sign on the door said they will be CLOSED on Christmas Day, so no "A Christmas Story" ideas apply.

It maybe on the way in the grand scheme of things, but initial thought is that it's crazy to entertain going from cao nguyen to wah-ha-ha or consider szechuan bistro when szechuan story is down the road from cao nguyen.

Harbinger
12-23-2021, 10:12 AM
I love Wa Ha Ha. I lived and worked in China for two years and can personally vouch that some of their menu items are very similar to the mainland fare I came to love. The sauteed green beans and their eggplant dish are standouts.