View Full Version : English Premier League

bradh
11-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Disclaimer: I am a 100% domestic league supporter, I can not stand "you people" who are American who have zero ties to Europe but will religiously watch EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga and tell all your friends "I can't watch MLS, it's bad football."

That being said, I need a new EPL team to follow for my early morning follies. A few years back, my boy Stu Holden was tearing it up for Bolton and we watch them when on and really got into it. Then, Stuart's leg got destroyed, Bolton got relegated, and we lost interest.

So a little background, I've never been to England, have zero ties to any of the teams. I've typically just watched teams that have USMNT players. Right now that narrows it down to Everton and Stoke City. I also follow the Houston Dynamo, so I have started following Stoke City more often because of Geoff Cameron (hey Jurgen....he should always be your starting CB unless injured...you're welcome). Then I realized they just got Shaqiri, and I freaking love that little pest. So, I guess I'm not a Stoke fan? I know in the past they haven't always played the most beautiful soccer, but with him they are an instant must watch.

How about everyone else, I know there are quite a few EPL fans on here.

Pete
11-14-2015, 05:35 AM
Arsenal!

They are great fun to watch, with a fluid, attacking style and they are always in the hunt. Plus, they are always in the Champions League which is another great competition.

Read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby. Best sports book ever IMO and it provides a great history of the club through his very entertaining stories. That book is what made me a fan.

Richard at Remax
11-14-2015, 08:09 AM
I second Arsenal.

AP
11-14-2015, 08:50 AM
I would say Chelsea but they have been so awful this year.

bradh
11-14-2015, 10:27 AM
I would say Chelsea but they have been so awful this year.

yeah what's up with that?

elitespy
11-14-2015, 06:27 PM
I would just start watching it, see who it is you like to watch more and read up on the histories of the different teams to see what one speaks to you the most. Going to skinny's and getting to know fellow supporters talking to them about why they like who they like and so on and so forth can help you decide as well. As you can see by my avatar I'm a West Ham supporter, and our little group has grown a lot this season which has been pretty awesome.

elitespy
07-28-2016, 02:10 PM
With the EPL starting back up here pretty soon, just a reminder Skinny Slims is open for your early morning EPL needs. I can't wait for opening day and hope to see more new faces out there this year.

Pete
07-28-2016, 02:42 PM
With the EPL starting back up here pretty soon, just a reminder Skinny Slims is open for your early morning EPL needs. I can't wait for opening day and hope to see more new faces out there this year.

I've gone out a few times, almost always around Arsenal matches.

Would like to meet you if you happen to be there.

FighttheGoodFight
07-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Liverpool fan for life.

Next year will be my first game to see them (outside the US).

Pete
07-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Liverpool fan for life.

Next year will be my first game to see them (outside the US).

I've been to Anfield!

Saw them play Man U when Beckham was still playing for them.

Fantastic experience. You'll dig it the most.

elitespy
07-28-2016, 06:19 PM
I've gone out a few times, almost always around Arsenal matches.

Would like to meet you if you happen to be there.

Yeah definitely, I'll be one of the few West Ham supporters that show up there are about 5/6 of us.

kwhey
08-07-2016, 09:19 AM
My team in Bundesliga got relegated. Thanks a lot Stuttgart.

Andrew4OU
08-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Tottenham supporter here. I followed EPL for a while before choosing them. I attended a match at White Hart Lane against Everton last year, and that's all it took. They're a young team with the Golden Boot winner from last season, Harry Kane. Tremendously fun to watch, especially with the great group of fans at Skinny Slims.

AP
08-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Ktbffh

Chitty
08-09-2016, 03:26 PM
I'll have to agree with Matt. You need to watch a few matches before you choose.

As far as the "have no ties" thing - I think as sports fans we don't need one. I have zero ties to any MLS team but I also think it's hard to watch, for me. But I think it's great that MLS has an audience and I hope it continues to grow. I'm an Arsenal fan. I watched Thierry Henry play for Arsenal in 2003 and he quickly became my favorite player and so naturally I became an Arsenal fan. However people want to choose their team is fine by me, there's no right or wrong way. Just be sure you know what you're getting into.

Pete if you come by Skinny's soon please introduce yourself to all the gooners. I'm a chair member of Sooner Gooners. I do all the graphic design and run the twitter (@soonergooners). We'd love to see you down there. I'm normally around for all the matches too, not just Arsenal.