View Full Version : RIP Gary Richrath

BlackmoreRulz
09-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Hate these RIP threads but Gary and band were the headliners at two of the most memorable shows I ever saw here in the City. The first was when REO headlined at the Civic Center in 78 or 79 with Foreigner and (early)Judas Priest. The second at the Myriad with Blackmore's Rainbow a couple of years later. A part of my young adulthood is now gone RIP Gary.

Gary Richrath, a former guitarist for the classic rock band REO Speedwagon who also co-wrote the group's hit song "Take It on the Run," died Sunday, according to a publicist for the band. He was 65.

Erik Stein confirmed on Monday that Richrath passed away but offered no details about the cause of death.

Richrath was born in October 1949, according to public records. He was a member of the band when it released its self-titled debut in 1971 and was with REO Speedwagon until 1989.

Richrath co-wrote some of the band's songs, including "Take It on the Run," which became a Top 5 pop hit on the Billboard charts.

"I feel so sad. Gary was both a unique guitarist and songwriter, and the embodiment of the tough guy with a heart of gold. I learned most of what I know about being in a rock band from Gary Richrath," REO Speedwagon's lead singer, Kevin Cronin, wrote on the band's website and Facebook page. "The entire REO Family mourns his death and shares in the grief of his family, friends, and fans. These words do not come close to expressing the depth of emotions I am feeling at this time."

Richrath last played with REO Speedwagon in 2013, when the band performed a benefit concert in Bloomington, Illinois, to raise money for tornado victims.

REO Speedwagon has released a number of successful albums, including 1980's "Hi Infidelity," which sold 10 million copies in the United States.

Richrath released a solo album, "Only the Strong Survive," in 1992.

REO Speedwagon guitarist Gary Richrath dies at age 65 | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/09/14/reo-speedwagon-guitarist-gary-richrath-dies/?intcmp=hpff)

LEmKHD40ZxI?t=70

5Jr4R_xheeE

HR8CnXn8LY0

Achilleslastand
09-14-2015, 09:05 PM
I remember the show at the Civic Center faintly and what a bill for a smaller venue. I always thought Gary was an above average guitarist{and by above average he knew what notes to put in without being to shreddy} and got pretty good tone and bite out of his Les Pauls and Marshalls. There was no bigger band circa 80-82. Didn't he have substance abuse issues that led to a fallout with the band?
RiP...

OkieHornet
09-15-2015, 11:18 AM
if i remember right, i saw him play a solo show at yucatan liquor stand on nw expwy some time in the early 90s? had a solo album out and someone else sang the songs. played some reo speedwagon songs too.

also saw reo play the myriad in 82 with john cougar opening. sold out 2 nights. great arena rock guitarist.

kelroy55
09-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Think I'll toss on my REO Live album this evening. RIP