View Full Version : KOMA tops list of Top 40 Top 40 stations of all time

traxx
08-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Top 40 Top 40 stations of all-time: KOMA, WLS and WABC top the list - National Oldies Pop Music | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/article/top-40-top-40-stations-of-all-time-koma-wls-and-wabc-top-the-list)

here's an attempt to rank and identify some of the greatest of those Top 40 stations of yesterday, keeping in mind that strongest consideration was given to stations that were prominent and dominant for at least most of the era from the late '50s through the '60s. [For example, a powerhouse station such as KHJ in Los Angeles isn't included because it wasn't a Top 40 station for many of the years in question, and some markets, such as Boston, had a number of off-and-on Top 40 outlets].

(1) KOMA (1520, Oklahoma City) -- A 50,000-watt blowtorch with a signal that covered a huge area, including many areas of the West that had few nighttime Top 40 options. The flagship station of the seven outlets owned by Top 40 pioneer Todd Storz, KOMA had great DJs, great playlists, great listnership. Great all-around.

I'm sure there's more methodology to their rankings than what's quoted above. I'm not sure what it is, though.

windowphobe
08-20-2015, 04:47 PM
They pretty much had to give the nod to a Storz station; Todd Storz, for all intents and purposes, invented Top 40 radio, and KOMA was arguably his most successful station, in terms of reach and market dominance.

zookeeper
08-20-2015, 05:33 PM
They pretty much had to give the nod to a Storz station; Todd Storz, for all intents and purposes, invented Top 40 radio, and KOMA was arguably his most successful station, in terms of reach and market dominance.

No question. KOMA was a behemoth heard at night all over the west/northwest in many states. Many people waited till they flipped the switch at KOMA for the party to begin. And that's no exaggeration.

Mel
08-20-2015, 06:18 PM
No it isn't When I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB and lived in the Black Hills we had run an antenna up a Ponderosa pine right out our back window of the cabin and at night, Boom, a taste of home.

Bunty
08-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Top 40 Top 40 stations of all-time: KOMA, WLS and WABC top the list - National Oldies Pop Music | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/article/top-40-top-40-stations-of-all-time-koma-wls-and-wabc-top-the-list)

I'm sure there's more methodology to their rankings than what's quoted above. I'm not sure what it is, though.

WKY is barely on the list. Those were the good 'ol days, but these days another name for AM radio is Antique Modulation.

Tritone
08-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Always liked the term "blowtorch." I don't know why.