View Full Version : Metropolitan Area ProjectS (Permanent Tax?)

Laramie
08-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Is it time to make the Metropolitan Area ProjectS (MAPS) a permanent sales tax as we did with the Oklahoma City Zoo's 1/8 cent funding?

Please forgive the error on the spelling of 'permanent tax' in poll questions 2, 3.

There are pros & cons; what are your thoughts?

LakeEffect
08-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Why is this in Transportation?

Laramie
08-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Why is this in Transportation?

There appears to be a 'heavy emphasis' trend to fund future modes of transit (Cable cars, light & commuter rail possibilities etc.,).

Moderators could move it to Development & Building...

LakeEffect
08-14-2015, 12:24 PM
There appears to be a 'heavy emphasis' trend to fund future modes of transit (Cable cars, light & commuter rail possibilities etc.,).

Moderators could move it to Development & Building...

I think it's a civic issue in general. I've seen a strong push to make Maps 4 about neighborhoods, which can be anything from transportation to parks & recreation to public safety...

Laramie
08-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Future OKC-RAT Oklahoma City Rapid Area Transit. :D

Would like to see lines (Cable street car system) link OKC to Norman, Edmond, Midwest City-Shawnee & Yukon-El Reno. This would probably have to be phased in at some point. Building those line connection runs about $1 million per mile or more.

Oklahoma City (Santa Fe Station Intermodal Transit Hub) to:

Edmond (15 miles) (Citylink) Phase I
Norman (19 miles) (Amtrak Station) Phase I
Midwest City (8 miles) (Midwest Station)Phase I to Shawnee (Santa Fe Depot) (24 miles)
Shawnee (32 miles) (Santa Fe Depot) Phase II or III
Yukon (15 miles) Yukon Station Phase I to El Reno Heritage Express stationEl Reno (11 miles)
El Reno (26 miles) Heritage Express Station Phase II or III

Service initially established between cities based on supply & demand.

Laramie
08-15-2015, 11:31 AM
I think it's a civic issue in general. I've seen a strong push to make Maps 4 about neighborhoods, which can be anything from transportation to parks & recreation to public safety...

"I've seen a strong push to make Maps 4 about neighborhoods..."

Agree,

There are a number of areas where OKC needs attention. City-wide beautification; we have seen evidence of this under Mayor Mick Cornett's regime.

Would love to see MAPS IV include:

1. Transit foundation: Build to expand for future options $400 million.
2. City-wide beautification; gateway entrances (Asian, Bricktown, Capitol Hill, Heritage Hills, Paseo, Stockyards City, Wheeler etc.,)

More street planters & lights. $100 million
3. Safe rooms for all Oklahoma City Area Public Schools that don't have them. $100 million.
4. More improvement to the Oklahoma riverfront to spur future development (especially south bank near the AICCM). $50 million
5. A high profile notable 'eye catching' monument; far exceed the impact of 'Skydance Bridge.' $40 million.
6. Riverfront stadium: American & soccer football specific stadium. $40 million.
7. Renovation of City-Hall & offices complex $10 million.
8. Contingency fund: $30 million.

(Note: MAPS III - $777 million, including $17 million in contingency fund.)

Total package: $770 million - (7 year collection).

Snowman
08-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Future OKC-RAT Oklahoma City Rapid Area Transit. :D

Would like to see lines (Cable street car system) link OKC to Norman, Edmond, Midwest City-Shawnee & Yukon-El Reno. This would probably have to be phased in at some point. Building those line connection runs about $1 million per mile or more.

Oklahoma City (Santa Fe Station Intermodal Transit Hub) to:

Edmond (15 miles) (Citylink) Phase I
Norman (19 miles) (Amtrak Station) Phase I
Midwest City (8 miles) (Midwest Station)Phase I to Shawnee (Santa Fe Depot) (24 miles)
Shawnee (32 miles) (Santa Fe Depot) Phase II or III
Yukon (15 miles) Yukon Station Phase I to El Reno Heritage Express stationEl Reno (11 miles)
El Reno (26 miles) Heritage Express Station Phase II or III

Service initially established between cities based on supply & demand.

Wouldn't this be commuter rail verses a type of street car?

I think a long term transit funding option may need to be a separate voting item the way Oklahoma laws are written (at least anything to the operations side), it could have a name branding that ties it into MAPS and/or be done along side MAPS4, but the only thing that ties most any of the prior MAPS items together to allow them to be a single vote is they are all 'capital projects'.

Laramie
08-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Wouldn't this be commuter rail verses a type of street car?

My badd, correction: Definitely commuter rail to connect the metropolitan area system. Would we be able to use some of the existing lines? (1903 to 1947):

see maps in link below...

Historical Streetcar Routes | ACOG | Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (http://www.acogok.org/historical-streetcars-map)

Understand that OKC has rail tracks buried beneath many of the paved streets. Which is more economical: Dig up some of the paved over tracks that could be used; or start over from scratch?

Just haven't done enough research on this local subject; so I'm phishing at this point--more like pissing in the wind :lol2: .