View Full Version : Ghost Town: Fallis Ok

MattB
08-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Wife and I made a road trip to three Oklahoma ghost towns: Meridian, Ingalls, and Fallis. Fallis was the last stop. There isn't much left other than the town school, and some dalapidated buildings hidden by the brush. A friend told me he had visited a number of years ago, and that the ruins of the town bank still existed at that time and the safe, door open, could be seen from the road. This was probably the wrong year and wrong time of year to look for it, because of the record rains this spring. The brush was so dense, there's no telling if the bank and/or vault is in there or not. We may return in the winter.
The school was quite spooky inside, and I can only imagine it would be even more so at night. In the room where I photographed the old piano, I dared not venture any further into the room as the floor was collapsing in places, and the slats were only about two inches wide. I don't know if the decay of the floor is really conveyed by these photos, but I could see a lot of light coming in front under the floor and it was, indeed collapsed and sagging several inches in some places.

Urbanized
08-13-2015, 05:53 AM
What is the metal building next to the school that appears to have HVAC and electric service?

SoonerDave
08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Great pics. I'd *love* to have the time to find one of these old "ghost" towns and take photos like these. Black-and-whites and sepiatones of these kinds of pictures are very often *awesome* display items.

I took some snaps of abandoned-but-still-present remnants of old US 66 from OKC through Arcadia up toward Tulsa; old, rusted-over roadsigns along broken, cracked leftovers of the highway, with grass and weeds growing through the cracks.

The implied history in some of those pics is enthralling.

Urbanized
08-13-2015, 10:03 AM
When I was a kid we used to hunt on land somewhere around Luther/Arcadia that had remains of a ghost town out in the middle of a field. There were some foundations and a single bridge. The guy we hunted with, who had grown up in the area, said that it had been a bustling community at one point, bank, stores, etc., and had vanished decades before for whatever reason. If I recall, my dad may have mentioned that my great grandmother had lived there at one point. Anyway, I remember being fascinated.