View Full Version : Who has the best burgers in town?

MattB
08-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Been on a diet for the last 5 years, so haven't had more than two or three burgers up until a couple of weekends ago.
One night a week is reserved as my "cheat" day. Recently I had a pretty tasty burger, and now I've "rediscovered" them. I did a search but didn't find anything. So, who has the best burgers in town?

ljbab728
08-12-2015, 10:33 PM
There is really no real definitive answer to something like that because best burgers means different things to different people.

There have been a couple of similar previous threads with multitudes of opinions.

http://www.okctalk.com/general-food-drink-topics/14917-best-burgers-oklahoma.html

http://www.okctalk.com/general-food-drink-topics/34742-best-metro-burgers-picked.html

MattB
08-12-2015, 10:57 PM
There is really no real definitive answer to something like that because best burgers means different things to different people.

Well, that's true to some extent, but if consensus was of no value, review sites like trip advisor and yelp wouldn't be in business.

dankrutka
08-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Republic Burger.

<Close thread>

;)

MattB
08-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Republic Burger.

<Close thread>

;)
I know exactly where that is. I'll have to try it.

loveOKC
08-13-2015, 06:35 AM
Nics by far, the consensus is the long line of people every day. Get there early

Pete
08-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Nic's, Republic and I really like Tucker's as well.

jrod
08-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Nic's. Tried to fight it for many years, but it simply is the best.

SoonerDave
08-13-2015, 07:10 AM
I surely know my son swears by Nic's, but I haven't been there myself.

I have been very pleasantly surprised by what seems to be a continuous improvement in "The Garage" burgers here in the OKC area; although I've only visited them three or four times over the last couple of years (for the same dietary reasons, alas), they started as quite unremarkable on my first visit about two years (?) ago, but at last visit offered a *very* tasty onion cheeseburger. Piping hot, juicy, properly cooked, very enjoyable.

Jessica N
08-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Patty Wagon is my fave burger. Located at N May and NW 35th St in an old Whataburger building.

NWOKCGuy
08-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Nic's
Republic
S&B (9th Street or N May locations)
Tuckers

Roger S
08-13-2015, 01:52 PM
My current favorite burger is at Stockyards City Cafe (Not Cattlemen's) but I do still enjoy an occasional visit to Nic's and Tucker's.

BBatesokc
08-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Currently;

Ron's
Garage (Edmond)
Nic's
Interurban (Edmond)
Tucker's

trousers
08-13-2015, 02:23 PM
I guess you guys haven't heard of a little place called McDonalds.

no1cub17
08-13-2015, 04:27 PM
S&B has by far the best veggie burgers. Too bad they come out as beef at least half the time.

Pete
08-13-2015, 04:50 PM
I need to try Ron's.

PennyQuilts
08-13-2015, 05:51 PM
We've never gotten anything but a good burger at the Half Time Grill on Newcastle Rd.

mkjeeves
08-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Boomarang Diner 6315 NW 39th Expy, Bethany has my current favorite burger.

If you get the basket there's seasoned salt in a shaker on the table for the fries. Yum! Sadly, I've had to give up the tators for awhile.

ctchandler
08-13-2015, 07:49 PM
I have a enjoyed a lot of good burgers in the area, and one that I haven't had since I retired is the cheddar burger from Earl's Rib Palace. I don't like their barbecue, but the burger was really good.
C. T.

GaryOKC6
08-13-2015, 08:38 PM
My favorite is the Garage. I go to the midtown location and love their Jalapeno burger.

bradh
08-14-2015, 07:19 AM
We've never gotten anything but a good burger at the Half Time Grill on Newcastle Rd.

is that the one in the gas station? a buddy of mine posted a pic on Instagram of a burger from a gas station in Newcastle and it looked amazing

Martin
08-14-2015, 07:37 AM
is that the one in the gas station? a buddy of mine posted a pic on Instagram of a burger from a gas station in Newcastle and it looked amazing

nope... halftime is a sports bar/grill on newcastle road near wheatland, just west of will rogers airport. people swear by their fried chicken but i thought it was just ok. i didn't try their burgers. -M

MagzOK
08-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Sid's in El Reno -- just outside the metro but it's one of the best onion burgers I've ever eaten. Certainly a destination place. In OKC, my fav's are Tuckers, Barry's Old Fashioned on May Ave, S&B, and Cow Calf Hay. Great, now I'm salivating.

MattB
08-16-2015, 04:20 PM
I will be on a burger quest in the weeks to come. (I only have one cheat day a week on my diet, so it will take a while) I'm checking out each of the places that have been recommended here.
The wife and I met with my parents at Irma's in Midtown last night. I liked the old, historic building (Always a sucker for that) and my burger was good, not exceptional, and my wife enjoyed the slaw dog. I'm not a big fan of the fries, they were okay... BUT... my mother thought she had a hair in her burger, but when she pulled out the offending item, she lost it... so she wasn't sure. A few minutes later, she pulled out another one.
I know bad things can happen at the best eateries, but something like that really puts you off. Doubt we will be back.

Jeepnokc
08-17-2015, 06:56 AM
I will be on a burger quest in the weeks to come. (I only have one cheat day a week on my diet, so it will take a while) I'm checking out each of the places that have been recommended here.
The wife and I met with my parents at Irma's in Midtown last night. I liked the old, historic building (Always a sucker for that) and my burger was good, not exceptional, and my wife enjoyed the slaw dog. I'm not a big fan of the fries, they were okay... BUT... my mother thought she had a hair in her burger, but when she pulled out the offending item, she lost it... so she wasn't sure. A few minutes later, she pulled out another one.
I know bad things can happen at the best eateries, but something like that really puts you off. Doubt we will be back.

If I remember correctly, it was Irma's a few years ago that started a mandatory added gratuity on their orders? I am curious if they are they still doing that?

soonermike81
08-17-2015, 09:09 AM
If I remember correctly, it was Irma's a few years ago that started a mandatory added gratuity on their orders? I am curious if they are they still doing that?

I visited the Midtown location recently and no such gratuity was added to my bill. However, the burger was still pretty average, imo. So I'm probably done with Irmas. Will stick with the Garage or S&B

TexanOkie
08-17-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't know if there is a "best" burger in town, but I sure have my favorites at just about every establishment that's been listed. (Although I usually only go to Ron's for chili, not burgers). The Huevos Ranchero burger at Garage is likely my favorite in the metro.

Roger S
08-17-2015, 09:35 AM
The Huevos Ranchero burger at Garage is likely my favorite in the metro.

That is my goto burger at The Garage... I usually get an additional patty and add grilled onions and jalapenos to it.

LakeEffect
08-17-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't know if there is a "best" burger in town, but I sure have my favorites at just about every establishment that's been listed. (Although I usually only go to Ron's for chili, not burgers). The Huevos Ranchero burger at Garage is likely my favorite in the metro.

A more relative question (and follow up): Whats your favorite burger in town and why?

MattB
08-17-2015, 10:51 AM

I don't think so, I did not notice that on my bill.

TexanOkie
08-17-2015, 01:30 PM
A more relative question (and follow up): Whats your favorite burger in town and why?

My only experience at The Garage is the one in Midtown, so I suppose I'm sticking with their Huevos Ranchero burger as my favorite in town. Burger, tortillas, egg, green chiles--what more could you ask for?

ctchandler
08-17-2015, 01:36 PM
My only experience at The Garage is the one in Midtown, so I suppose I'm sticking with their Huevos Ranchero burger as my favorite in town. Burger, tortillas, egg, green chiles--what more could you ask for?

What more could I ask for? Cheese, jalapenos, and salsa. I've not had that burger but I do enjoy the Garage and I'll bet for a little more, they will add those three items.
C. T.

OKCinsomniac
08-17-2015, 03:20 PM
The egg-o-nater (The Garage)... Mmmmm

Jeepnokc
08-17-2015, 03:39 PM
I tried the Garage on 240 and it is very tasty. I like the Spicy Sriracho Bleu Burger. As a bonus, it is next to Omerta Cigar Lounge so I can follow up with a good cigar and great scotch.

TexanOkie
08-17-2015, 03:51 PM
What more could I ask for? Cheese, jalapenos, and salsa. I've not had that burger but I do enjoy the Garage and I'll bet for a little more, they will add those three items.
C. T.
The menu's description of the Huevos Ranchero Burger is as follows:

This one takes a fork and a knife! A flour tortilla topped with choice of protein, fried egg, queso, chipotle ranch, fire roasted salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, tortilla strips.
It really does require a knife and fork. :D

ctchandler
08-17-2015, 09:30 PM
The menu's description of the Huevos Ranchero Burger is as follows:

It really does require a knife and fork. :D

Yes, but I noticed it said a "choice of protein" which makes me think, I get one of them. But I am more than willing to pay for what I want.
C. T.

sooner88
08-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Yes, but I noticed it said a "choice of protein" which makes me think, I get one of them. But I am more than willing to pay for what I want.
C. T.

Choice of protein is either a beef, turkey, veggie or buffalo burger (I think buffalo has a slight upcharge)

ctchandler
08-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Choice of protein is either a beef, turkey, veggie or buffalo burger (I think buffalo has a slight upcharge)

Well, egg is protein, but the name of the burger says it is included, and cheese is protein but it doesn't mention it so I suspect there is a charge for adding cheese.
C. T.

MagzOK
08-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Patty Wagon is my fave burger. Located at N May and NW 35th St in an old Whataburger building.

Yes, this place is on the money.

bradh
08-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Yes, this place is on the money.

do they serve beer? been wondering if this place was good before Energy games

trousers
08-27-2015, 07:19 AM
do they serve beer? been wondering if this place was good before Energy games
The last time I was in they didn't.

Filthy
08-28-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm glad we've progressed as a city. 15-20 years ago, you probably would have gotten Johnnie's as an answer. But it's also been about that long since Johnnies was worth a damn either.