View Full Version : Restaurant at Hughbert and Porter

Grandmonsta
08-12-2015, 10:05 AM
The owner of the Sunshine liquor store told me that they're going to build a restaurant in the empty lot at Hughbert and Porter. He said that someone sent a letter to all building owners saying this and that he saw them surveying the land. Does anyone know anymore information about this?

kevinpate
08-12-2015, 06:27 PM
If it will take some of the load off at Tarahumara, I am all for 'em, whatever they will serve!

Grandmonsta
08-13-2015, 07:10 PM
If it will take some of the load off at Tarahumara, I am all for 'em, whatever they will serve!

I hope it's better than Tarahumara.

Rover
08-13-2015, 09:00 PM
I hope it's better than Tarahumara.

So, will this be a Mexican restaurant? Or are you just takings pot shots at Tarahumara? Anyway, what's wrong with Tarahumara? I've always liked it.

Grandmonsta
08-14-2015, 01:54 PM
So, will this be a Mexican restaurant? Or are you just takings pot shots at Tarahumara? Anyway, what's wrong with Tarahumara? I've always liked it.

I don't know what kind of restaurant it's supposed to be.

I don't like the fact that Tarahumara rushes you out the door the minute you sit down, they're expensive for what they are, I don't know how many times I've almost gotten into an accident on Frank or Porter from people trying to find a parking place there, and every story I've heard about the owner makes him sound like a jerk. I'd rather drive across town to Mamaveca's, which has better food, in my opinion.

tfvc.org
08-14-2015, 02:44 PM

I don't like the fact that Tarahumara rushes you out the door the minute you sit down, they're expensive for what they are, I don't know how many times I've almost gotten into an accident on Frank or Porter from people trying to find a parking place there, and every story I've heard about the owner makes him sound like a jerk. I'd rather drive across town to Mamaveca's, which has better food, in my opinion.
Seconded. And the owner at Mamaveca's is really nice. He even took time to talk to my Peruvian friend when she came to visit me. They talked about Lima for a good half an hour or so.

Urbanized
08-15-2015, 07:54 AM
...I don't like the fact that Tarahumara rushes you out the door the minute you sit down, they're expensive for what they are, I don't know how many times I've almost gotten into an accident on Frank or Porter from people trying to find a parking place there, and every story I've heard about the owner makes him sound like a jerk...

Not a single one of these points addresses the quality of the food, and the second point isn't even about the experience inside the restaurant. In fact the first two points are a result of the popularity, which often (though not always) indicates a good place not a bad one. As for the owner, I've chatted with him several times and always found him to be very nice. I just had the good sense not to try to chat him up when they were slammed. Perhaps someone confused "busy" with "jerk."

kevinpate
08-15-2015, 10:34 AM
tried to make a funny; started a foodie fight.

sorry all.
will go take another nap.

tfandango
08-15-2015, 11:19 AM

I like the food there but have had the same exact problem. I had a general rushed feeling every time I went there for some time but then we went there to see some friends we hadn't seen in some time. Planned to spend about an hour there. Zoomed through the chips to the food, then the waiter was rushing us to pay the check, remove plates, etc. Finally I asked him what the deal was and he said, "I want to get more money". We had barely been there 40 min. Did not appreciate it and haven't been back. I know this was probably a jerky waiter and that the owner might be great, but nevertheless, one bad experience is enough to keep me away. Judging by the crowds, this opinion might be in the minority :)

Rover
08-15-2015, 01:12 PM
NEVER have felt rushed. But then again, I don't loiter there for two hours.

MagzOK
08-16-2015, 06:22 AM
It's a fast turnover, they like you in and out ready for the next guests. Many folks around here rave about this place, but I can't see what all the hootin' and hollerin' is about. The couple times I've been there have been pretty drab. But hey, to each their own. And the reality is that great Mexican food in the OKC metro is not that prevalent. Don't get me wrong there are some solid establishments, but nothing overwhelmingly awesome. When in Dallas at our favorite Mexican joint (Mattitos original on Oak Lawn) we asked our friend if they would ever consider opening in OKC. He laughed and said Oklahoma people demand a million free cheeses so those restaurants come up with cheep cheese to appease the Okie masses and fill up with the bad cheese and mass produced chips. So I guess that was a 'no'. LOL.

Grandmonsta
08-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Not a single one of these points addresses the quality of the food, and the second point isn't even about the experience inside the restaurant. In fact the first two points are a result of the popularity, which often (though not always) indicates a good place not a bad one. As for the owner, I've chatted with him several times and always found him to be very nice. I just had the good sense not to try to chat him up when they were slammed. Perhaps someone confused "busy" with "jerk."

Just because a restaurant is popular doesn't mean everyone has to like it. I stated my opinion, which I'm in titled to. I don't like the food, I want to spend an hour in a restaurant to chat with friends, and I feel like he created a parking lot that's adept to causing traffic problems. Also the people I've heard he was a jerk from are the business's neighbors not patrons. So maybe "money" equals "nice".

So back to my original question, does anyone know what restaurant is planning to open at Porter and Hughbert?

Grandmonsta
08-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Seconded. And the owner at Mamaveca's is really nice. He even took time to talk to my Peruvian friend when she came to visit me. They talked about Lima for a good half an hour or so.

The owner at Mamaveca's is really nice. He always makes sure everyone is enjoying their food and goes out of his way to talk to patrons.

Grandmonsta
08-17-2015, 02:46 PM
NEVER have felt rushed. But then again, I don't loiter there for two hours.

My family, a party of 12, Grandparents, uncle, etc. went there once. My dad finished first and had half a glass of tea left. The waiter asked him if he wanted a refill, my dad said no, the waiter took his glass.

Grandmonsta
08-17-2015, 02:51 PM
So back to my original question, does anyone know what restaurant is planning to open at Porter and Hughbert?

YO MUDA
08-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Well, I guess not then.

Rover
08-19-2015, 10:18 AM

I understand it is Tarahumara II going in there. They can't serve everyone fast enough at the original so they are splitting the crowd and sending some to the new place where everyone can sit, chat, eat the free chips and salsa and visit with the wait staff. Everyone will be happy.

Tritone
08-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Just a minute, Rover! What do you mean, answering the original question?

Grandmonsta
08-31-2015, 09:20 AM
The city council has approved the zoning. Still no word on what it will be. More restaurants and apartments, and get your 'Mix on Main' - Norman Transcript: Business (http://www.normantranscript.com/news/business/more-restaurants-and-apartments-and-get-your-mix-on-main/article_2e601ff1-7c19-5544-acb6-815b5079e92e.html)