View Full Version : Red light running

Pages : [1] 2

ChrisHayes
07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
I love OKC. Especially its climate, vibrant economy, and how it's growing. But OKC PD needs to put in place a program to crack down on people running red lights. It's a ridiculous problem here. I'd say make it known that there will be several dozen unmarked cars at random intersections to solely ticket people running red lights. The fine is no less than 500-1000 if you're caught. Make the program known, and that it will constantly occur off and on without dates being known.

Achilleslastand
07-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Five hundred bucks and up for running a red light, that's going to go over like a Lead Balloon. They would however have the money to repair money pits #1 and #2{capitol and jail} in no time at all. Here is a better bet. Why doesn't the city do a better job of synchronizing the lights for a better traffic flow.

ChrisHayes
07-28-2015, 07:14 PM
I'm all for that. The constant stop and go is probably a reason so many people run lights

Urbanized
07-29-2015, 02:33 AM
For the record, neither the Capitol (state) or the jail (county) are the responsibility of the City of Oklahoma City, and it would likely be illegal to dedicate municipal funds to their maintenance or repair.

rezman
07-29-2015, 04:50 AM
This problem has become epidemic. I see it daily. The lights turn red and they still come sailing through. When I'm stopped at an intersection, and the light turns green, I make sure to stay put for a couple of seconds and check all directions to make sure no one is coming through.

This is why I really no longer enjoy riding a motorcycle around town. There's just too many mind numb idiots behind the wheel these days.

I'm all for a $500 fine. If the red light runner hits someone, and especially if they injure someone, it's going to cost them a hell of a lot more than that.

BBatesokc
07-29-2015, 05:23 AM
One of the deciding factors for me in finally installing a dashcam in my vehicle.

Was in one wreck and naturally the person at fault immediately started lying about what happened. Fortunately there was a witness to the whole thing.

I now take my 'witness' (aka, dashcam) with me wherever I go.

Urbanized
07-29-2015, 06:50 AM
^^^^^^^
When I was about 20 I was broadsided at 13th and Hudson by an 85-year-old woman who ran a red light. She got out of the car apologizing, saying she hadn't even seen the light until it was too late. Her middle-aged son worked nearby and was there before police. He immediately started openly counseling her to not admit guilt.

When the police responded they immediately excluded statements from the two people in my car, one of whom was my 50-ish stepmother, who was sitting in the front seat. Since I was in a cheap old car, I only had liability and nobody to fight for me.

Not sure what happened as far as her car being paid for (this was nearly 30 years ago), but I know I had to eat my totaled car, which I had just finished paying off. It was a tough hit for a college student with a barely-above-minimum-wage job. It has stuck in my craw to this day that someone could be so callously terrible to someone who they had knowingly wronged. It was a worldview-changer for me, and I became a little less naive that day. My only consolation today is knowing that she statistically must have met her maker years ago.

gurantula35
07-29-2015, 06:57 AM
We could install the cameras at intersections like they do in Denver and many other places. Rented a car in Denver last year with some friends and 3 months after we got back, i got 2 different tickets for running red light. Thank goodness there were pictures to show I wasn't driving at the time. But that could be a solution you are looking for. $500 is outrageous though. I think the fine for Denver was around $40-$50.

betts
07-29-2015, 07:50 AM
This problem has become epidemic. I see it daily. The lights turn red and they still come sailing through. When I'm stopped at an intersection, and the light turns green, I make sure to stay put for a couple of seconds and check all directions to make sure no one is coming through.

This is why I really no longer enjoy riding a motorcycle around town. There's just too many mind numb idiots behind the wheel these days.

I'm all for a $500 fine. If the red light runner hits someone, and especially if they injure someone, it's going to cost them a hell of a lot more than that.

As a frequent pedestrian, this and people turning right on red without looking for pedestrians are major problems here. Cameras at intersections would work.

okatty
07-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Saw a huge wreck at Memorial and Macarthur from a person running red light. I was the third car behind the light, It turned green and the cars in front of me drove into the intersection and a car just crushed the first car by running the light.

I have told my driving age kids if you are the first car at the light, when light turns green treat it like you are walking across the street and look both ways - don't just look at light. I'd rather get honked at than hit.

Roger S
07-29-2015, 08:09 AM
$500 is outrageous though.

I agree... The fine should be larger!

I have zero tolerance for people that break traffic laws and endanger the lives and property of those they share the road with..... I say jack the fines through the roof and restrict their priviliges.

Filthy
07-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Saw a huge wreck at Memorial and Macarthur from a person running red light. I was the third car behind the light, It turned green and the cars in front of me drove into the intersection and a car just crushed the first car by running the light.

I continue to see this issue at this intersection. I live right there, so utilize the intersection regularly. It is scary for sure, and as a father of two small children riding in the backseat in car seats..I cringe at the thought of driving through an intersection and getting T-Boned by someone running the red light there. But I see it 2-3 times a week. And these cars aren't....."floating the intersection"....or "pushing a yellow light," turning red. These are cars/trucks flying through the intersection at 50 mph, a good 1.5 to 2 full seconds after the light has turned red. MAybe I'm more aware in my old age, and protective parent nature...but, I honestly feel like this epidemic is increasing. I am personally in favor of lighting these people up with ridiculously high fines. A $30-$50 fine, isn't going to make anyone think twice about anything. However, a $500-$700 fine, might be significant to someone. Maybe it would keep them from paying rent...maybe it would keep them from being able to pay their electric bill.....maybe it would force them to appear in court, because they cant afford to pay the $700 fine. If it were significant enough to cause someone these issues...it would probably make enough of an impact, that they would think twice about flowing through an intersection on red, just because they are frustrated with traffic...or running 2 minutes late getting to the McDonalds drive thru.

OKCinsomniac
07-29-2015, 09:16 AM
I agree... The fine should be larger!

I have zero tolerance for people that break traffic laws and endanger the lives and property of those they share the road with..... I say jack the fines through the roof and restrict their priviliges.

Agree... One wonders if increase in this behavior is related to the absolutely ridiculous texting-while-driving phenomenon. As a runner/cyclist/pedestrian, you really have to watch yourself these days, make eye contact with people before crossing, etc. because so many just don't pay attention. Amazing how many people I see that drive with their phone in their hand next to the wheel.

The most frequent place I see this is coming off I-40 east onto Shields exit. People come flying through going south and you can't see them because of the wall.

Roger S
07-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Agree... One wonders if increase in this behavior is related to the absolutely ridiculous texting-while-driving phenomenon.

I think it has more to do with the me first/sense of entitlement attitude that has permeated our society..... "I'm too important to be inconvenienced by that red light/speed limit... Everyone out of my way!!!"

RadicalModerate
07-29-2015, 09:25 AM
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but a small part of the problem is those jerks who sit at a green light for five to ten seconds jacking around on their f*******n' cell phones plus those idiots who leave about three car lengths between them and the car in front of them at a red light. If people would simply focus on DRIVING and getting from Point A to Point B as quickly and safely as possible EVERYONE would benefit. I don't condone the running of red lights by any means, but I'll damn sure run a yellow light that should have been green had some bozo in front of me been paying attention to what they were supposed to be doing rather than their friggin' phone.

Richard at Remax
07-29-2015, 09:33 AM
I see it daily at the Memorial/Turpike/Western area. You have to be real cautious. I never used to touch my horn and I probably use it once a day now. Its funny though cause Im the one who gets the fingers when I honk at them while running the light.

kevinpate
07-29-2015, 09:56 AM
High fines won't get you the results you want. Fines are almost always discretionary. You want red light running tackled. Make it a state public safety issue, not a local revenue issue.

Talk to your local legilizards about the scourge and danger it is. Press for mandatory significant impact on the DL point system.
Say 3 or more points. Mandatory 15 day DL suspension on first offense, 30 day on a second offense within 2 years, 90 days on a third offense within 2 years, 180 days on a fourth or subsequent offense, irrespective of the years gone by. (For your hit the wallet folks, that can be a few hundred right there on each reinstatement) Oh, and a driving course be mandatory, and no 35.00 online class option. A live in person boring as hell class, no exception, and no reinstatement without the class.

Yeah, I have a mean streak. I also have grandbabies and young ones known through my lovely's daycare. Some of whom are car seaters today, and at least of one who is headed to college in the fall, with all ages in between. Not to mention all our former Scouts of both genders, who now range in age from 30 down to 17.

mugofbeer
07-29-2015, 10:39 AM
We could install the cameras at intersections like they do in Denver and many other places. Rented a car in Denver last year with some friends and 3 months after we got back, i got 2 different tickets for running red light. Thank goodness there were pictures to show I wasn't driving at the time. But that could be a solution you are looking for. $500 is outrageous though. I think the fine for Denver was around $40-$50.

As a Denver area resident i want to make it crystal-clear that you do NOT want OKC installing red-light cameras. There is a basic assumption that the pictures taken are accurate. I can tell you i have seen the cams here take pictures at totally inappropriate times. Thunderstorms seem to make them take pictures indiscriminately. If you are unaware you have been snapped and you are a daily user of the intersection, you may have no memory of the day or the circumstances so you can defend yourself. Then there is the revenue aspect of them. They are pure money -makers for the host city. They are pure money-makers for the company that operates them. Denver, until recently, was using them for crosswalk at intersections. Stop your car with the bumper even an inch into a crosswalk and you get a ticket a month later. No opportunity to defend yourself. Even going the speed limit, there are times you have to stop hard so you dont run the light. They took them out because of the complaints and the fact you were damned either for stopping or running the light. Cities will tell you they can show they save lives but cities will also admit they could lengthen yellow lights or that they cause more rear-ender collisions. Cities could just use them for manned-obvervation ticket proof rather than robo-money-makers. No. I havent gotten a ticket from a cam but i have seen multiple times when people have been snapped by one when the cams should not have snapped.

okatty
07-29-2015, 10:51 AM
There was a KOCO-TV segment on the cameras that are at 63rd and May the other night but I missed it and forgot about it until I saw these posts. Pretty certain those are not for that purpose and maybe more to just monitor the traffic but really not sure.

LakeEffect
07-29-2015, 11:00 AM
There was a KOCO-TV segment on the cameras that are at 63rd and May the other night but I missed it and forgot about it until I saw these posts. Pretty certain those are not for that purpose and maybe more to just monitor the traffic but really not sure.

Correct. OKC does NOT have any red-light cameras.

mugofbeer
07-29-2015, 11:07 AM

Intentions are one thing but reality is another. I work near one of the lights and have watched it flash people for both justified and not justified reasons. My problem with them is reliability, accuracy, the potential you cant defend yourself, the money-making aspect and the presumtion of guilt until proven innocent.

okatty
07-29-2015, 11:20 AM
What do you mean "flash people"?

jerrywall
07-29-2015, 11:25 AM
We seem to have a longer pause in between one direction turning red and the other direction turning green than I have seen in other states/cities. I wonder if this contributes to people running the lights, since they know they have a slight buffer?

mugofbeer
07-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I think it happens everywhere. I dont see any buffer from when one light turns red to the other direction turning green here. It has long been argued that if there were a buffer, less deadly wrecks would occur. So far, cjtiez with the cameras have not added buffers. That makes the people suspect the money motive.

Mel
07-29-2015, 02:40 PM
So many good posts on this subject. I want to get a dash cam even more now. I've seen Tractor Trailer rigs blow through red lights and that scares the jeebers out of me. "I'd rather get honked at than hit" :D That is bumper sticker gold there!

jerrywall
07-29-2015, 02:46 PM
So many good posts on this subject. I want to get a dash cam even more now. I've seen Tractor Trailer rigs blow through red lights and that scares the jeebers out of me. "I'd rather get honked at than hit" :D That is bumper sticker gold there!

Many moons ago, when I got my MC endorsement, for my driving test the only thing I got marked for was not looking both ways as I enter an intersection, even if I have full right of way. I know I piss people off because I slow down long enough to look both ways even when approaching a green light, but I remember what the tester told me. He said about the same thing. "Better to be annoying than dead." I worry about someone hitting me from behind one day, but I think I have a better chance of surviving that than I do a broadside hit.

ChrisHayes
07-29-2015, 05:39 PM
I agree about staying put when the light turns green. I always look both ways before going. People can honk all they want. A couple days ago I saw some guy in a big SUV run the red light at SW 15th and Portland. It was clearly red for him as we had the green for a number of seconds. He breezed on through and was looking at all the cars in the intersection. Probably looking for a cop. I dream of the day I see one of them get pulled over.

rezman
07-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Many moons ago, when I got my MC endorsement, for my driving test the only thing I got marked for was not looking both ways as I enter an intersection, even if I have full right of way. I know I piss people off because I slow down long enough to look both ways even when approaching a green light, but I remember what the tester told me. He said about the same thing. "Better to be annoying than dead." I worry about someone hitting me from behind one day, but I think I have a better chance of surviving that than I do a broadside hit.

That can be one of the worst collisions to have. Since you mention that, rear enders are one the most common collisions to motorcycles. That and left turns in front of bikes.

Motorcycle instructors train you to leave your self an out when you pull up to an intersection by leaving an escape route in front of you, and leave ing the bike in 1st gear while holding the clutch , all to give yourself an out just in case someone isn't stopping when they come up behind you. I learned to keep an eye on the mirrors when stopped at intersections and it has helped a couple times when people stopped short of hitting me by my being able to jump forward.

Roger S
07-30-2015, 06:47 AM
...Probably looking for a cop. I dream of the day I see one of them get pulled over.

I've been sitting next to cops when it has happened although never with the cop being first at the light..... Never seen one react to it.... Doesn't help when law enforcement is apathetic towards it.... Guess maybe they would rather work the accident.

tfvc.org
07-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Red light running was such an epidemic in St Pete / Tampa that they installed red light cameras in something like 20 odd intersections (the ones that had the most red light running accidents) Four of those intersections were near home/work. I still look both ways twice before mashing the gas petal when the light turns green.

When I traveled to Spain, in Valencia the opposite happens. People start going seconds before the light turns green. The oddest thing I saw. People know to stop at yellow because people are going on the other part of the roundabout right before green.

jerrywall
07-31-2015, 12:22 AM
So this hit very personal today. Been riding for a while, and there is an old saying... " there are two types of bikers, those who've gone down, and those who will go down ". It was finally my turn I guess. Making a right turn onto fifteenth in Edmond I had to dodge an idiot running a red. Luckily I was watching and avoided getting hit, but I did lay the bike down. Not happy about scratches on a bike I've had for a few months but at least there was no damage on me. Moron just kept on going but a couple of good samaritans hopped out of their car to help me get the bike righted and make sure I was OK. I've not normally supported cameras but I'm starting to change my mind. Remember folks, share the road. My only transport is a bike and I don't have a cage protecting me.

Mel
07-31-2015, 01:12 AM
Damn close call. glad you are OK.

jerrywall
07-31-2015, 08:12 AM
Damn close call. glad you are OK.

Thanks. Went home freaked out. Ended the night angry. Wish I could identify the guy but I know that's never gonna happen. Will have to rely on karma.

kevinpate
07-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Glad that wasn't worse jerrywall.
Idiots on the road are the main reason I still have the tank I bought off friends in 04.
At the time, it was very practical due to a bass payer in orchestra and being very active in Scouting.
Today, it's a banged up, aged, gas sucking behemoth. But dang if it doesn't give others pause from time to time.
It totally looks like it can take a licking and then eat some road idiot's little bitty trouble kitty alive and never pause to spit out the bones.

Achilleslastand
07-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Man Bicycling Across America Killed In Oklahoma Wreck

Man Bicycling Across America Killed In Oklahoma Wreck - NewsOn6.com (http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=29673795&catId=112042)

A man bicycling across America to raise money for affordable housing died after being hit by a car in western Oklahoma Thursday morning.

Patrick Wanninkhof, 25, was hit while riding on Highway 152 south of Elk City at 8:05 a.m. on Thursday, July 30, 2015, according to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. He died at the scene.

The OHP said another bicyclist - identified as Bridget Anderson, 22 - was hurt in the same crash. Troopers said she was stable when she was airlifted to OU Medical Center with a leg injury.

According to the trooper's report, Wanninkhof and Anderson were riding west when a westbound 2014 Chevy driven by Sarah Morris, 34, of Cordell hit them. She told troopers she was distracted by looking at her phone when she hit the bicyclists, according to the OHP report. Morris wasn't hurt, troopers said.

The report did not indicate whether Morris will be cited.

Anderson is from Port Orange, Florida. Wanninkhof was from Key Biscayne, Florida, but had been living in the Bronx, New York.

He was part of a group called Bike & Build, whose members ride across the country to raise money for affordable housing. This particular group had stopped in Tulsa on Sunday, July 26, 2015 where they spent time working with Habitat For Humanity.

Tulsa Habitat for Humanity said Wanninkhof was a group leader of the 26-member team that stopped in Tulsa

rezman
07-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Lock her up!

Mel
07-31-2015, 03:32 PM
"she was distracted by looking at her phone " :mad: RIP Pat.

White Peacock
07-31-2015, 04:29 PM
^^^^^^^
When I was about 20 I was broadsided at 13th and Hudson by an 85-year-old woman who ran a red light. She got out of the car apologizing, saying she hadn't even seen the light until it was too late. Her middle-aged son worked nearby and was there before police. He immediately started openly counseling her to not admit guilt.

When the police responded they immediately excluded statements from the two people in my car, one of whom was my 50-ish stepmother, who was sitting in the front seat. Since I was in a cheap old car, I only had liability and nobody to fight for me.

Not sure what happened as far as her car being paid for (this was nearly 30 years ago), but I know I had to eat my totaled car, which I had just finished paying off. It was a tough hit for a college student with a barely-above-minimum-wage job. It has stuck in my craw to this day that someone could be so callously terrible to someone who they had knowingly wronged. It was a worldview-changer for me, and I became a little less naive that day. My only consolation today is knowing that she statistically must have met her maker years ago.

I moved back to OKC in 2007. Within two weeks of arriving back, I was hit by a red light runner at SW 29th and Western. This woman had no license, no insurance, vehicle was not registered to her, and she had a BABY in the car with her. Police didn't do anything to her at all aside from have her call for a ride to pick her up. I only had liability, so my car had to be fixed by Pull-A-Part.

In 2010, once again, I was smashed into by another red light runner at Memorial and Portland, this time much worse. This time it was a big, black SUV, also with small kids in the car with him. He barreled through the light going probably 50mph. I injured my ribs and knee (bruising, no breaking), and as I hobbled over to his SUV to see about things, I got "sorry 'bout that, guess I might have gone through a light, I dunno."

After I had my first kid, I bought a big Jeep and linger on a fresh green before taking off.

turnpup
07-31-2015, 04:43 PM
So this hit very personal today. Been riding for a while, and there is an old saying... " there are two types of bikers, those who've gone down, and those who will go down ". It was finally my turn I guess. Making a right turn onto fifteenth in Edmond I had to dodge an idiot running a red. Luckily I was watching and avoided getting hit, but I did lay the bike down. Not happy about scratches on a bike I've had for a few months but at least there was no damage on me. Moron just kept on going but a couple of good samaritans hopped out of their car to help me get the bike righted and make sure I was OK. I've not normally supported cameras but I'm starting to change my mind. Remember folks, share the road. My only transport is a bike and I don't have a cage protecting me.

Jerrywall, glad you're all right! That had to have been very scary. It's good that there were people who took the time to help you. Focus on that part.

I have a question for those who ride motorcycles: Yesterday on I-40 eastbound near McLoud Road, I saw a motorcycle in the westbound lanes going VERY fast (I was doing about 75, and it seemed like he was going faster than I was) and he was ONLY ON ONE WHEEL—as in, going down the interstate at 75 mph-plus doing a wheelie! Has anybody ever seen anything like that before?! It looked extremely dangerous and reckless. I wasn't able to see how long he stayed in that position, but it scared the crap out of me.

Mel
07-31-2015, 04:48 PM
What's even scarier is how fast the red light runners blast through an intersection. Instead of starting to brake when they see yellow from too far away they hit the gas. Had to go to the Integris Med Center at SW 44th this morning. I don't know if it's just being a cranky old man or drivers are getting worse but, geez louise!

jerrywall
07-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Jerrywall, glad you're all right! That had to have been very scary. It's good that there were people who took the time to help you. Focus on that part.

I have a question for those who ride motorcycles: Yesterday on I-40 eastbound near McLoud Road, I saw a motorcycle in the westbound lanes going VERY fast (I was doing about 75, and it seemed like he was going faster than I was) and he was ONLY ON ONE WHEEL—as in, going down the interstate at 75 mph-plus doing a wheelie! Has anybody ever seen anything like that before?! It looked extremely dangerous and reckless. I wasn't able to see how long he stayed in that position, but it scared the crap out of me.

I've seen it way too often. A lot of cruiser riders have disdain for "crotch rockets" and this type of stuff is part of the reason.

rezman
07-31-2015, 08:10 PM
L

I've seen this many times and a lot of them can top 100mph while doing it and not set the front wheel for very long distances. What these knuckleheads don't realize is that all they have to do is hit one small rock or piece of debris in the road, or have someone change lanes in front of them, or even run a red light, and they are done. There's no time to react. They are the guys that give the rest of us a bad name.

MagzOK
08-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Timing of the lights during peak traffic times would ease red-light running and road rage. I hit every red light just about everywhere I drive and some days it's flat out angering. :mad:

rezman
08-01-2015, 01:51 PM
I just got home from a few hours of running errands, and saw 2 red light bandits in that time. One was on northbound Santa Fe at Memorial. I came off the service road along he Kilpatrick onto Santa Fe and made the turn behind a white 4 door Jeep. I actually passed passed the Jeep after the turn and as I approached Memorial the light turned yellow and I had plenty of time to stop. The light turned red as I came to a stop, and then came the white Jeep blowing right through the red.

Not long afterwards, in front of me was Yellow Cab #29 that ran the red light at 2nd & Fretz in Edmond.

rezman
08-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Timing of the lights during peak traffic times would ease red-light running and road rage. I hit every red light just about everywhere I drive and some days it's flat out angering. :mad:

I can see where this would work where signals are spaced just blocks apart, but not where they
are located only at every section line like many parts of Okc.

catch22
08-01-2015, 05:34 PM
You don't want red light cameras in OKC.

We have them here and they are very nerve wracking. Sometimes they flash you when you are going through a green light.

Other people slam on their brakes on a yellow light, even when they were close enough and fast enough to make it through. All of the contents in your car end up on the floor. If you were on the way back from the grocery store, your eggs are most likely all broken. Your soda is shaken up and flat now.

These lights are completely unsafe because people are terrified to go through intersections because they are afraid they will get a bill. People even come to full stops on greens to make a right turn, just to be safe to not set the camera off.

They are terrible inventions, not to mention the legal aspect of being proven guilty on the spot, and not knowing you were at fault for many weeks after the incident. Thus making any possibility of defending yourself in court impossible. (Do you remember if you ran a yellow light, July 12th? what were the circumstances behind that? Oh you don't remember)

tfvc.org
08-01-2015, 08:56 PM

We have them here and they are very nerve wracking. Sometimes they flash you when you are going through a green light.

Other people slam on their brakes on a yellow light, even when they were close enough and fast enough to make it through. All of the contents in your car end up on the floor. If you were on the way back from the grocery store, your eggs are most likely all broken. Your soda is shaken up and flat now.

These lights are completely unsafe because people are terrified to go through intersections because they are afraid they will get a bill. People even come to full stops on greens to make a right turn, just to be safe to not set the camera off.

They are terrible inventions, not to mention the legal aspect of being proven guilty on the spot, and not knowing you were at fault for many weeks after the incident. Thus making any possibility of defending yourself in court impossible. (Do you remember if you ran a yellow light, July 12th? what were the circumstances behind that? Oh you don't remember)

That is why they are taking or already took them down in Tampa / St Pete. All that money wasted for the cameras to be up for just a few years. They need to have the rookie cops assigned to traffic like stuff like sitting at the more notorious lights to start ticketing people.

mkjeeves
08-02-2015, 08:56 AM
I was just at Overholser where the trail crosses a street. There are stop signs on the trail on both sides of the intersection. None on the street. (At least one other place I can think of in OKC has a 4 way at one of these intersections. Turning into East Wharf off Lake Hefner Parkway.) One out of ten bikes in the few minutes I watched stopped at the sign, only because he would have been hit by an oncoming car. One forced a car to stop since it was pretty clear he wasn't approaching the stop sign with the intent to stop. The car did stop short, the biker slowed down in the confusion and then waved a "thank you" to the driver as the biker went ahead and ran the intersection.

That's nothing new, standard procedure for biking around the trails in OKC. When are the cops going to ticket these people? /petpeeve.

mkjeeves
08-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Very dangerous place. One side of the trail comes from behind the baithouse and the other side comes from behind the ranger station. The one guy who stopped.

http://s4.postimg.org/xou5bimhp/stop.png

rezman
08-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Running stop signs coming out of residential streets,... where people coming out a side street onto main thorougfares has become quite fashionable as well. I see this a lot as well. Not even close to a California roll... They only slightly slow down.

turnpup
08-02-2015, 11:00 AM
There's a four-way stop sign in front of our house (25 mph speed limit). Literally every day we see people blow through that thing like it's not even a thought. And the intersection is very well-marked. It's flat, there are no trees in the way as you approach, and there are stop signs on both sides of the lane on each side (the road is divided by a median). This is particularly disturbing in our neighborhood because it's a major walking/strollering/cycling type of area. It's amazing that no one's been struck (to my knowledge). I've trained our little girl to never trust the fact that there's a stop sign, and to look both ways regardless. Heck, I've even personally seen two high-speed chases come through here with both perp and law enforcement going the wrong way down the road. But that's fodder for another discussion...

mkjeeves
08-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Same here, there's a four way in front of my house in a residential area and plenty blow though it, all the bikes and a lot of the motor-vehicles.

KayneMo
08-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Just yesterday I saw the same driver run two red lights going west on 10th at Robinson and Harvey.

MitchellCole
08-02-2015, 05:49 PM

WTF? If you travel at a safe distance from the person in front of you, it shouldn't matter if they slam on their brakes. It is your own fault if your eggs are broken if you are tailing somebody.

MitchellCole
08-02-2015, 05:53 PM
nevermind

Mel
08-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Bad thing about trying to keep a safe distance is too many people take that as an invitation to pull in front of you or pass you and get right back in front of you. I hate slam and swerves too.

catch22
08-03-2015, 02:38 AM
WTF? If you travel at a safe distance from the person in front of you, it shouldn't matter if they slam on their brakes. It is your own fault if your eggs are broken if you are tailing somebody.

Obviously you don't have a ton of experience dealing with these lights. One is down the streets from my apartment in Portland and people absolutely drive irrationally around them.

OKCRT
08-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Obviously you don't have a ton of experience dealing with these lights. One is down the streets from my apartment in Portland and people absolutely drive irrationally around them.

You are correct. This is normal city driving. There is no huge space between cars because someone else will take that space. What they should do is have the yellow a couple seconds longer and then have a 3 second delay between red/green. No need to start putting cameras up.

no1cub17
08-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Just yesterday I saw the same driver run two red lights going west on 10th at Robinson and Harvey.

This! Yesterday from our balcony we watched at least two cars drive right through the light at 2nd and Walnut. Not even slow down - drive right through! Unreal. I know Oklahomans suck at driving, but how do you just drive right through a red light? Insane.

baralheia
08-04-2015, 04:25 PM
I can't count the number of times I've seen someone blast through the southbound stop sign on S High Ave, where the southbound off-ramp from I-35 to SE 59th St intersects High. I've almost gotten hit several times, if not for being aware of my surroundings and slowing way, way down.