View Full Version : Pothole repairs on Hefner Parkway

C_M_25
07-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Hefner Parkway is one of my favorite highways in the city metro area. They built this one right by using concrete, and it has held up well over the years. Unfortunately, we had quite a few potholes develop recently. My question is:

WHY ARE THEY REPAIRING POTHOLES IN CONCRETE WITH ASPHALT!!!

Now they are humps, and that asphalt will not last long in a concrete hole. I don't get it. Why not close a lane down, add rebar, and fill with concrete again?

bradh
07-14-2015, 08:03 PM
What locations?

I agree, concrete paving wins every time. A lot of times the asphalt will be temporary until they can let out a project to repair multiple spots with new concrete, since it requires closures like you said.

Snowman
07-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Hefner Parkway is one of my favorite highways in the city metro area. They built this one right by using concrete, and it has held up well over the years. Unfortunately, we had quite a few potholes develop recently. My question is:

WHY ARE THEY REPAIRING POTHOLES IN CONCRETE WITH ASPHALT!!!

Now they are humps, and that asphalt will not last long in a concrete hole. I don't get it. Why not close a lane down, add rebar, and fill with concrete again?

Almost surly a budget issues, pretty much all ODOT projects seem to have all their timelines slipping to work within the budget they have. Which probably leads to needing bigger fixes due to the road then having more years of wear on it. It should not be a surprise, nationally the freeway system is not funded at a level to maintain it all, Oklahoma has even has a higher lane miles per capital that the national average.

Somewhat related as more data has come it is getting harder to avoid that ROI for metro serving freeways and ring roads is terrible long term, on top of that DOTs have been neglecting older critical roads while preferring to do new construction for decades. So now that they are finally forced to address the parts critical to the national system of highways and bridges, the ones that were more optional and less likely to get any piece of the shrinking federal aid like Hefner Parkway are going to to have a harder time being worked into the budget.

Urbanized
07-15-2015, 08:45 AM
No specific knowledge of this particular situation, but ODOT would most likely contract the concrete repairs - which takes time - while they can send a crew out immediately to place temporary asphalt patches. I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentionally a band-aid while they assemble and let a contract for more extensive repair.

bradh
07-15-2015, 09:05 AM
No specific knowledge of this particular situation, but ODOT would most likely contract the concrete repairs - which takes time - while they can send a crew out immediately to place temporary asphalt patches. I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentionally a band-aid while they assemble and let a contract for more extensive repair.

is there an echo in here? ;)

OKCDrummer77
07-15-2015, 03:07 PM
What locations?

I agree, concrete paving wins every time. A lot of times the asphalt will be temporary until they can let out a project to repair multiple spots with new concrete, since it requires closures like you said.

There's one pretty big one in the center southbound lane just before the Grand Blvd overpass.

C_M_25
07-17-2015, 10:02 AM
There's one pretty big one in the center southbound lane just before the Grand Blvd overpass.

That's the big one that I was thinking of. There are some smaller patches on the northbound lanes around the same area.