View Full Version : Mary Poppins

ljbab728
07-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Did anyone else see the Lyric production of Mary Poppins? We went tonight. It really wasn't a show that I was particularly interested in until I saw a great review in the Oklahoman a few days ago.
The show starts out fairly slow so I thought it would be OK but I wasn't especially impressed. It is one of those show that builds as it goes and, by the second half, it is really a lot of fun. As usual, the Lyric is not Broadway quality but it is very good. The featured actors were excellent and I was absolutely impressed with the young children playing Jane and Michael. Their singing and dancing was surprisingly good. A highlight was the "Step in Time" number featuring the singing and tap dancing chimney sweeps. I wasn't aware that Julian Fellowes, who writes "Downtown Abby", wrote the book for this show. It's not the best musical I've ever been to but it was certainly worth purchasing last minute tickets.

SouthSide
07-13-2015, 06:13 PM
I took my niece and nephew aged six to see it. She loved it but he was ready to leave about twenty minutes before intermission. I had taken them to Marvel Live earlier this year so I told him he had to tough it out to be fair. I agree the second half was definitely a lot more fun. I found it a solid performance and will definitely see another production.