View Full Version : Domestic Cars Prefered by OKC buyers more than any other city outside of Detriot.

Jersey Boss
07-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Detroit's cars rule the heartland, but not the coasts (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/07/06/detroit-cars-carguruscom/29756443/)

58.6 % of the cars in OKC are domestic. Odd in a market that really has had no stake in domestic production.

bradh
07-06-2015, 10:11 AM
I bet truck sales contribute to that the most

Jersey Boss
07-06-2015, 10:46 AM
With the F-150 being the top vehicle seller nationally that really does not explain the local numbers. Also foreign manufacturers such as Toyota and Nissan offer full size trucks as well.

SoonerDave
07-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Yeah but the truck component of the overall population of all vehicles sold in this area is bound to be a factor.

Pete
07-06-2015, 10:52 AM
The whole domestic vs. foreign thing is so blurred anymore that the distinction is pretty meaningless.

Many Hondas, BMW's, Nissans and Mazdas are assembled in the U.S., some GM and Fords are assembled in Mexico and elsewhere, parts come from all over the world, etc.

king183
07-06-2015, 11:07 AM
The whole domestic vs. foreign thing is so blurred anymore that the distinction is pretty meaningless.

Many Hondas, BMW's, Nissans and Mazdas are assembled in the U.S., some GM and Fords are assembled in Mexico and elsewhere, parts come from all over the world, etc.

Yep. The most American car is the Toyota Camry, followed by the Toyota Sienna.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/toyota-camry-tops-ford-f-150-as-the-most-american-122790558077.html

adaniel
07-06-2015, 11:10 AM

For what its worth, the most "American" car in terms of its sourced supply chain is the Toyota Camry (edit: king183 beat me to it)

The popularity of trucks and SUVs in OKC is definitely a factor here, but just based on my observations buyers here are far more loyal to domestic brands. Yous see plenty of pickups in OKC but not too many Tundras or Titans. On the luxury side, Escalades and Denalis are a dime a dozen but Land Rovers/Range Rovers are kinda rare.

Jersey Boss
07-06-2015, 11:13 AM
There is a difference between content and where the profits go. For me, I would rather see the profits go to Dearborn or Detroit and stay in the USA.

SoonerDave
07-06-2015, 11:28 AM
There is a difference between content and where the profits go. For me, I would rather see the profits go to Dearborn or Detroit and stay in the USA.

The salaries of the folks paid to turn the nuts and bolts to build those trucks certainly does.

LakeEffect
07-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Detroit's cars rule the heartland, but not the coasts (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/07/06/detroit-cars-carguruscom/29756443/)

58.6 % of the cars in OKC are domestic. Odd in a market that really has had no stake in domestic production.

We did have the GM plant for about 30 years...

No time to look at the detailed analysis and where they get the data - I also wonder if rental car fleet purchases had an impact on the results. Oklahoma has an out-sized presence in data when you consider that. Car sales numbers are often issued with caveats about fleet sales in general because that skews the numbers on consumer preference. See this article from 1 July: Chrysler Hits Retail Milestone, Tops Ford - WSJ (http://www.wsj.com/articles/fiat-chrysler-sales-jump-in-june-1435753561)

traxx
07-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Yep. The most American car is the Toyota Camry, followed by the Toyota Sienna.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/toyota-camry-tops-ford-f-150-as-the-most-american-122790558077.html
Toyota doesn't have any union plants so they're able to be more cost effective and efficient.

Jersey Boss
07-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Toyota doesn't have any union plants so they're able to be more cost effective and efficient.

So that's why people in OKC favor domestic cars? I never knew OKC to be a hot bed of organized labor. Who would have thunk it?

bradh
07-06-2015, 03:48 PM
So that's why people in OKC favor domestic cars? I never knew OKC to be a hot bed of organized labor. Who would have thunk it?

What is your end game here? Some stats show Oklahomans prefer domestic cars, big deal. So far people have mentioned fleet sales (hello oilfield service companies all driving domestic trucks), a favor towards trucks (yes, Nissan and Toyota offer them, I own a Tundra, but they lag FAR behind the big 3), and rental car sales (are Hertz and Dollar/Thrifty purchases logged as Oklahoma purchases since they are HQ'd here)?

Dustin
07-06-2015, 03:57 PM
A Toyota Tundra is more domestic than a Ford F150. It has more American made parts.

Jersey Boss
07-06-2015, 04:09 PM
What is your end game here? Some stats show Oklahomans prefer domestic cars, big deal. So far people have mentioned fleet sales (hello oilfield service companies all driving domestic trucks), a favor towards trucks (yes, Nissan and Toyota offer them, I own a Tundra, but they lag FAR behind the big 3), and rental car sales (are Hertz and Dollar/Thrifty purchases logged as Oklahoma purchases since they are HQ'd here)?
Nothing nefarious and certainly no so called end game. Made the observation that OKC is # 2 behind Detroit. It was a factoid and not a big deal. Some mentioned trucks, but when you see that numbers 3, 4, 5, are outside of the southwest or south perhaps that is not the factor. Yeah you have rental car fleets but so do many places. Just take it at face value. I did find the comment about Toyotas has no relevance to the domestic car numbers in OKC though. Am I missing something here?

Snowman
07-07-2015, 04:07 AM

On top of that they all report to an international group of international stock investors, no doubt have a noticeable portion owned by American investors/institutions and basically all the major manufactures selling in the US are traded on US stock markets.

windowphobe
07-07-2015, 05:11 PM
The last Mazda to be produced in the States, the 6, reverted to Japanese assembly for model year 2014.

I owned two of the 6's predecessor, the 626; the 2000 incarnation of same, built in Flat Rock, Michigan, was the single most reliable car I have ever owned. I'd probably be driving it today were it not for a pesky doe on Highway 3 in Coal County.

TheTravellers
07-08-2015, 11:52 AM

Hertz's HQ is either in New Jersey or Florida, depending on if they've moved yet (I believe they're still in NJ). They have data and call centers here, but not the HQ.

Jersey Boss
07-08-2015, 01:05 PM
We did have the GM plant for about 30 years...

No time to look at the detailed analysis and where they get the data - I also wonder if rental car fleet purchases had an impact on the results. Oklahoma has an out-sized presence in data when you consider that. Car sales numbers are often issued with caveats about fleet sales in general because that skews the numbers on consumer preference. See this article from 1 July: Chrysler Hits Retail Milestone, Tops Ford - WSJ (http://www.wsj.com/articles/fiat-chrysler-sales-jump-in-june-1435753561)

I believe that HERTZ and THRIFTY have foreign vehicles as well as domestic vehicles in their fleets as well.

Snowman
07-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Hertz's HQ is either in New Jersey or Florida, depending on if they've moved yet (I believe they're still in NJ). They have data and call centers here, but not the HQ.

Apparently they moved the HQ to Florida in 2013. Though I had heard several say the old NJ headquarters was pretty much just the legal paperwork, an address box and a couple lawyers on retainer. Not sure how true that was though.

MagzOK
07-09-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm happy to not be in the majority. Love my V-Dub.

TheTravellers
07-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Apparently they moved the HQ to Florida in 2013. Though I had heard several say the old NJ headquarters was pretty much just the legal paperwork, an address box and a couple lawyers on retainer. Not sure how true that was though.

I worked for IBM at Hertz here in OKC from 2009-2014 and it was *way* more than just a few folks in NJ, there were hundreds, I believe - tech, admin, data center, C-suite, etc. I don't think they moved all the folks to FL in 2013, else I would've heard about it...

rezman
07-09-2015, 11:58 AM
The last Mazda to be produced in the States, the 6, reverted to Japanese assembly for model year 2014.

I owned two of the 6's predecessor, the 626; the 2000 incarnation of same, built in Flat Rock, Michigan, was the single most reliable car I have ever owned. I'd probably be driving it today were it not for a pesky doe on Highway 3 in Coal County.

My wife just recently traded off our (her) '09 Mazda CX9, and I hated to see it go. It was a great road car and the most reliable car we've ever owned. ... I miss it.

On the flip side, the car we owned that had the most problems was an '07 Nissan Murano. I'll never own another one.

White Peacock
07-09-2015, 01:21 PM
I drive the most 'Murican vehicle there is: Jeep Wrangler. But I like my bikes to be Japanese.

adaniel
07-09-2015, 02:29 PM
My wife just recently traded off our (her) '09 Mazda CX9, and I hated to see it go. It was a great road car and the most reliable car we've ever owned. ... I miss it.

On the flip side, the car we owned that had the most problems was an '07 Nissan Murano. I'll never own another one.

I passed on a 370Z because my sister had such a hideous experience with her 2008 Murano, including have it break down in the middle of nowhere Pecos, Texas. My parents own an Infiniti and are having serious issues with it as well. Sucks, because I think Nissan is far and above the most stylish and exciting Japanese brand (compared to boring ass Toyota and Honda), but their reliability is sinking quick.

I now own a Camaro 1SS and outside of a fog light mysteriously going out, I haven't had one issue with it.

windowphobe
07-09-2015, 05:43 PM
My parents own an Infiniti and are having serious issues with it as well.

Is this the JX35/QX60? This has been the most problematic Infiniti for some time. (It's kin to Murano and Pathfinder.) My I30 continues to run well as it approaches its 16th birthday, though every time I see the dreaded "Service Engine Soon" light I know I'm about to part with at least $600.