View Full Version : Fence installers

Celebrator
06-06-2015, 10:34 PM
It has been a few years since users here have recommended a fence company. I am looking to do an install at my house. Who has had a good experience with a company recently?

turnpup
06-07-2015, 10:07 AM
We used Fence Masters twice--once about 5 years ago and just a few weeks ago. The quality and workmanship are consistently good. The company comes out and meets with you, then introduces his crew. Everyone has been polite and careful with the surrounding flowers, etc. The older fence still looks just as good as the brand-new one.

Home | The Fence Masters (http://www.fencemastersokc.com)

ou48A
06-07-2015, 05:18 PM
I highly recommend the Master Halco POST MASTER steel post. Baring a direct hit from a large object such as a vehicle and unlike wood this post should never need to be replacing in a life time.

These posts are much stronger than the thin round galvanized pipe post from Lows or Home Depot and they have much more flex in high winds giving them some ability to spring back into position.

About 2 years ago while driving down eastern in Moore following their bad tornado I drove by a house that was very heavily damaged and others nearby by were completely destroyed… This home had the POST MASTER steel post in its back yard…. All the wood was missing and except for one posts all looked reusable.

Since our weather vacillates back and forth between extreme heat and extreme wet with high wind unless you want crooked fence post in Oklahoma they need to be set in deep concrete with enough mass that they won’t move. You almost need to think like your pouring a home’s foundation! Pouring the concrete below the frost zone and what I call the drought zone where the soil cracks and shifts or if the soil becomes spongy when saturated…. high winds can move a post in these conditions.

I’m currently replacing about 75 feet of my fence by myself using this post… I installed about 100 feet of fence 13 years ago in a different part of my yard using this same post… I put the post on 7 foot centers and install one board at time. My 13 year old exposed fence with these posts hasn’t moved but about ½ inch +/-.
I set my post in 5000 PSI concrete in a 30” deep hole that is 8 to 9 inches in diameter. I use about 180 pounds of hand mixed concrete per hole following the manufactures mixing directions.

This method is more expensive up front but if you’re doing the work yourself it’s very likely cheaper in the long run and they do lower the likely hood of future problems. These galvanized fence post if properly installed should last the rest of your life.

There are a lot of so called fence professionals / experts that would call this over kill. But they also probably want your repeated business in 10 or so years.

Celebrator
09-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Just had a 90 foot run of fence installed by | The Fence Masters (http://www.fencemastersokc.com/) as recommended by turnpup above. They were an excellent company to work with. Good communication, high quality workmanship, friendly, alert to landscaping, and efficient. They were a bit more expensive, but their product is better, in my opinion. They used Post Master steel posts as recommended by ou48A above and their cedar pickets are thicker than the standard ones other companies use. I was all around impressed and really love the look and utility of my new fence.