View Full Version : 2015 Women's World Cup

okatty
05-29-2015, 06:21 PM
On June 6 the WWC begins in Canada. US Team is considered oh-so slight favorite over Germany with Japan, France and Canada also in the possible mix. Maybe Abby Wambach's final WC and upcoming stars like Alex Morgan take the big stage. All happening when the beautiful game is being overshadowed by ugly and corrupt governing body and officials. Should be fun!!:tongue:

bradh
05-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Very excited for this, the U.S. women are exciting to watch.

okatty
06-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Game 1 for USA is tonight @ 630 v Australia. For a little local connection, game 3 is against Nigeria which includes Edmond native Courtney Dike.

U.S. women's soccer team: extroverts enter World Cup - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/06/us/us-womens-soccer-world-cup)

okatty
06-22-2015, 09:05 AM
First game of the knock-out round tonight for USA v Columbia. Some nice chatter going on between the teams. Brazil lost a shocker yesterday.

C. B.
06-22-2015, 10:41 AM
I'll be at the watch party at Skinny Slims in Bricktown for the Columbia game tonight. Going to be a fun one!

elitespy
06-22-2015, 01:20 PM
I'll be at the watch party at Skinny Slims in Bricktown for the Columbia game tonight. Going to be a fun one!

Same, should be a really great match.

okatty
06-23-2015, 12:45 PM
2-0 win sets up quarterfinal game versus China. Interesting write up and analysis in NY Times regarding Columbia and other SA teams (Brazil lose over weekend):

The Americans are the beneficiaries of four decades of Title IX, a federal law prohibiting discrimination based on gender that has widely increased women’s opportunities to play sports. Colombia’s players, by contrast, grew up in a Latin American culture in which women were considered unfeminine simply for kicking a soccer ball.
“Parents, men, not wanting you to play — ‘this isn’t a woman’s game; you’re manly,’ ” Perez said before the match. “But I feel like we’re opening a new path for all of soccer to grow in Colombia.”

Lord Helmet
06-23-2015, 01:22 PM
We keep finding ways to win even though our attack is pretty weak. The ladies still haven't found their stride yet here we are in the quarterfinals. Here's hoping it all comes together starting Friday.

okatty
06-23-2015, 01:59 PM
I agree. Germany and France looking pretty stout assuming we get past China.

bradh
06-23-2015, 06:34 PM
2-0 win sets up quarterfinal game versus China. Interesting write up and analysis in NY Times regarding Columbia and other SA teams (Brazil lose over weekend):

The Americans are the beneficiaries of four decades of Title IX, a federal law prohibiting discrimination based on gender that has widely increased women’s opportunities to play sports. Colombia’s players, by contrast, grew up in a Latin American culture in which women were considered unfeminine simply for kicking a soccer ball.
“Parents, men, not wanting you to play — ‘this isn’t a woman’s game; you’re manly,’ ” Perez said before the match. “But I feel like we’re opening a new path for all of soccer to grow in Colombia.”

You know who else benefits from Title IX? Teams like Colombia. The pool of players in this tourney is littered with women from across the globe who earned their skills on many a NCAA pitch.

okatty
06-23-2015, 06:58 PM
The goalie is at U of Miami. Oopsy on the R-card.

bradh
06-23-2015, 07:38 PM
The goalie is at U of Miami. Oopsy on the R-card.

Yeah she fouled the hell outta Alex on that play, that was the correct call too, Alex's foot was on the line.

okatty
06-23-2015, 07:47 PM
She's a very aggressive player. Good but maybe a little raw still. From here out the matches
should be really good.

okatty
06-30-2015, 01:04 PM
BIG BIG BIG match tonight - USA v Germany in the semi-finals! Top 2 womens teams in the world (by the rankings). USA defense versus Germany which has 20 goals so far in the tourney. Something gotta give!

bradh
06-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Wambach can NOT start tonight, if she does we're F'ed.

Rodriguez is the only forward that makes Morgan better. She's a terrible finisher, but makes a sees runs that our others don't, and despite her stature, is our best hold up forward, riddle me that.

okatty
06-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Abby's over/under minutes played number should be on he board in Vegas tonight! That was their best offensive showing for sure. Lloyd was freed up a lot with O'Hara and Brian playing. Rodriguez is speedy. BUT China was not a great team. Rapinoe will for sure be back and so O"hara or Brian to the bench. Heath has not done much from what i can see so far and wonder if Ellis might make any changes there.

Will be fun to watch@!!!

bradh
06-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Ellis is too stubborn to make a formation change to get the best players there.

Lord Helmet
07-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Ellis is too stubborn to make a formation change to get the best players there.

Guess not. She switched to a 4-3-3 last night. Great win. On to the final where glory awaits!!

okatty
07-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Heck of a match! Blood and gore even.

bradh
07-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Guess not. She switched to a 4-3-3 last night. Great win. On to the final where glory awaits!!

Yeah no kidding, I was SHOCKED

okatty
07-01-2015, 11:12 AM
And really even a 4-2-3-1 with Morgan top and Rapinoe, Lloyd, Heath in that next group and holiday, Brian behind them. Dominated the midfield and freed up the outside. Rapinoe was driving her German counterpart nuts all match. Brian played that holding mid position fantastic - pretty nice play for someone who first got in line-up due to the suspension in the China game.

bradh
07-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Really disappointed in Holliday, she's had a bad tourney, but last night was by FAR Lloyd's best game. As she goes this team goes.

okatty
07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
FIFA getting grief over their Alex Morgan comment "very easy on the eye.":)

bradh
07-01-2015, 02:50 PM
FIFA getting grief over their Alex Morgan comment "very easy on the eye.":)

In today's world it's a sin to call someone beautiful apparently.

okatty
07-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Truth is a defense in a defamation case - maybe it is in a "not being politically correct" situation too!

bradh
07-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Well, England...that was awful to watch, but Lalas was right, she HAD to make that tackle, if she doesn't the Japanese attacked is free and clear on goal.

okatty
07-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Let's go USA WNT!

bradh
07-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Well that was...awesome! Carli Lloyd is the Russell Westbrook of women's soccer. Does so much that can frustrate you but is totally worth it in the end.

Snowman
07-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Slightly related, USA vs Japan played for the World Cup of Softball tonight too. USA won 6-1. It was not held in OKC this time, I think because the stadium is still undergoing renovations.

Pete
07-05-2015, 09:41 PM
All hail Title IX!

That law in 1972 changed women's sports in the U.S. for much the better.

There has only been 7 women's world cups and the U.S. has finished in the top 3 in all 7; winning the title 3 times. Of course, our men are nowhere near the elite international teams.

Also, if you haven't noticed in the last several Olympic games, it's the American women who have been kicking tail.

I remember the controversy over Title IX when it was first imposed but it's has an absolutely amazing effect on women and girl's involvement in sports.

Dave Cook
07-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Slightly related, USA vs Japan played for the World Cup of Softball tonight too. USA won 6-1. It was not held in OKC this time, I think because the stadium is still undergoing renovations.

Great point. For the 7th time in 10 years, Japan and USA have met in the Softball World Cup final. And now twice in a row in the Women's soccer final.

What a fun rivalry between two great countries.

okatty
07-06-2015, 07:49 AM
It's a double whammy - Title IX benefits for USA and flip side is women's soccer in many of the traditional soccer powers has never been encouraged and in fact has been discouraged. Good article in NY Times about this at beginning of WC. Many of the women from Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, etc were not allowed to play soccer and they don't have the numbers to compete at the very top level.

bradh
07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Title IX has grown the game globally, not just in the USA, for that reason. As stated previously in this thread, there are many players across the globe who hone their skills on the fields of the NCAA

Pete
07-06-2015, 09:11 AM
^

Same is true for many Olympians.

Although many athletes actually collect medals for other countries, so many of them get scholarships and/or train in the U.S.

okatty
07-06-2015, 11:43 AM
On to CONCACAF Gold Cup. USA v Honduras Tue night!:ot: