View Full Version : Foo Fighters Letterman's Last Band

Bunty
05-20-2015, 02:42 PM
I think I'm going to miss Letterman more than Leno.

Foo Fighters Appear as David Letterman's Final Musical Guest (http://loudwire.com/foo-fighters-david-letterman-final-musical-guests/)

okatty
05-20-2015, 02:53 PM
I think I'm going to miss Letterman more than Leno.

Foo Fighters Appear as David Letterman's Final Musical Guest (http://loudwire.com/foo-fighters-david-letterman-final-musical-guests/)

Same here! Will miss Dave a lot.

reverend
05-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Letterman's Top Ten lists were the comedy cornerstone of my childhood.

okatty
05-20-2015, 04:01 PM
I liked the segment he did with Rupert the deli guy last night.

When i was a kid my parents watched Johnny Carson. As my kids have grown up it was Dave for us. End of an era.

Urbanized
05-20-2015, 04:02 PM
I don't miss Leno, AT ALL. But yeah, even though I guess it's probably time for Dave to hang it up - he was once an innovator and his show exciting, and in recent years has I think lost his fire and turned into more of a cranky old dude - but I will still miss him a lot, too. I was lucky enough to see a taping of his show a few years ago and gained so much respect for his skill as a professional, witnessing the whole thing in person. I expected a certain amount of sloppiness that would be fixed in editing, stops and starts, etc., and I can tell you that at least for that episode, what aired was pretty much exactly what happened in the studio. Impeccable timing, connection with the audience, the way he drew his guests along in conversation, it was all really impressive. He really does belong in the same conversation with Ed Sullivan and Johnny Carson.

I have become a complete Jimmy Fallon fanboy these days - going back to the very beginning of his Late Night gig - and have been watching him far more often that Dave for the past few years, but will always have a special place in my heart for Dave, who I first started watching as a youngster, in his very first season on NBC.

windowphobe
05-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Five will get you ten Dave says something about "The fight against foo goes ever on."

Mel
05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
This thread is making me feel old. David wasn't part of my childhood but I usually enjoyed his program. Only guy that ever made me want a Velcro suit. Going to be a void when he is off air and a bit of history goes with him. Excellent choice for a last band.

Filthy
05-20-2015, 07:53 PM
I was there for the show today, and let me tell you...his final guests lists reads like an elite "who's who", of the comedian/entertainer World! It was sad to see it end, but it was truly an amazing experience. Dave will always be Dave...but he seems to have just been going thru the motions the last few years. (Cant really blame him)

And Fallon will be the new king, no doubt in my mind.

traxx
05-21-2015, 01:38 PM
I agree with Urbanized, Dave had become a cranky old dude. The final show is an end of an era but it doesn't make me miss Dave aby more than I already have. The Dave I miss has been gone for a long time. I miss the Dave from Late Night and up through the early years of his show on CBS.

I thought his final show last night was meh. I though Johnny Carson's last couple of shows were better than Dave's. But I realize that Dave did his final show on his terms, not mine.

Bunty
05-21-2015, 02:41 PM
And Fallon will be the new king, no doubt in my mind.
He might as well be already, since he's been well ahead of Letterman in the ratings.

zookeeper
05-21-2015, 04:09 PM
I think the ratings will be interesting between Colbert, Fallon, and Kimmel. I predict the big winner will be -- Jimmy Kimmel.

Zuplar
05-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Never watched Letterman. Always a Leno guy myself. I enjoy Fallon's style of comedy, so if I watch anything will be him. I don't really like Kimmel at all, but I do like his segment on Mean Tweets.

tfvc.org
05-21-2015, 10:18 PM
I miss Dave's days when he was crushing thing in the press, the velcro suit, and the days of Melman. My favorite episode has to be when it was too hot to do the show and he did it in the office instead and got Teri Garr in the shower.

youtube.com/watch?v=6kPRW9_09jc

venture
05-24-2015, 03:40 PM
He might as well be already, since he's been well ahead of Letterman in the ratings.

He has never been behind Dave (except for a few occasions) in the ratings thanks to the fact that he pulls from a completely different demo. it'll be interesting to see once Colbert moves in and how that impacts the ratings since their demos are going to be closer together.

Urbanized
05-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Meh, I think Fallon will have the numbers covered easily for a long time to come. Colbert will mostly just draw the cool kids. Except Fallon appeals to them too, thanks to industry cred and connections.

Bunty
05-26-2015, 11:31 PM
He has never been behind Dave (except for a few occasions) in the ratings thanks to the fact that he pulls from a completely different demo. it'll be interesting to see once Colbert moves in and how that impacts the ratings since their demos are going to be closer together.
Venture, you are quite seriously wrong. The truth is that Fallon was usually always well ahead of Letterman in the ratings, especially in the 18 to 49 age bracket. As a matter of further fact, it was also true that Letterman was barely keeping ahead of Kimmel. Letterman knew his time had come to give it up before CBS told him to.