View Full Version : OP-Ed By the Mayors of NYC & OKC

Jersey Boss
05-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Good article co authored by a Democrat from NYC and a Republican from OKC.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/opinion/let-our-cities-move.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0

OkiePoke
05-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Maybe a good time to increase the fuel tax used for the infrastructure... I believe the last time it was raised was in the early 90's. If you raise the gas tax by 0.5 cents, you will more than double the budget.

AP
05-13-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry but this just isn't true: "In Oklahoma City, highway bridges are failing, city and state roads are unable to keep up with the region’s growth, and the bus system struggles to meet demands."

With some of the shortest commute times for any large metro in the country, I think we are fine.

LakeEffect
05-13-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry but this just isn't true: "In Oklahoma City, highway bridges are failing, city and state roads are unable to keep up with the region’s growth, and the bus system struggles to meet demands."

With some of the shortest commute times for any large metro in the country, I think we are fine.

You could interpret it more that traffic growth has sped up deterioration of said roads and they are not able to fund renewal and replacement and O&M...

Jersey Boss
05-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Maybe a good time to increase the fuel tax used for the infrastructure... I believe the last time it was raised was in the early 90's. If you raise the gas tax by 0.5 cents, you will more than double the budget.
With the rise in fuel economy and less miles being driven, I think you are just kicking the can down the road. I'm afraid that doubling the budget won't even get close to what needs to be done here.

From the editorial:

Spending on infrastructure in the United States has sunk to 1.7 percent of gross domestic product, a 20-year low.

Life in the slow lane | The Economist (http://www.economist.com/node/18620944)

Total public spending on transport and water infrastructure has fallen steadily since the 1960s and now stands at 2.4% of GDP. Europe, by contrast, invests 5% of GDP in its infrastructure, while China is racing into the future at 9%. America's spending as a share of GDP has not come close to European levels for over 50 years. Over that time funds for both capital investments and operations and maintenance have steadily dropped.

zookeeper
05-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Excellent piece from Cornett and de Blasio. Despite commute times, our infrastructure is crumbling. The Belle Isle bridge is a disaster waiting to happen. I could go on and on. It's not about commute times - it's about quality and safety of our roads and bridges.

Jersey Boss
05-13-2015, 03:07 PM

There is a lot more involved in infrastructure and quality of, than how fast you can get home from work. What kind of shape are the states rails in? What about bridges?
http://www.newson6.com/story/28704616/study-4200-oklahoma-bridges-need-structural-repairs

AP
05-13-2015, 03:12 PM
I understand now what the point of what was being said. I read that to mean that we don't have the funding to expand our roads.

RedSoxFan
05-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Related - Oregon is now attempting to implement a per-mile tax and eliminate antiquated and now inefficient gas tax for funding road projects. This is the way to go in this country to get things funded at the state level.