View Full Version : Monument Guys

mkjeeves
05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
A new series debuts on the History Channel tomorrow night, filmed and about the Crucible Foundry in Norman.

Some people make history with their actions, and some people make it with molten bronze. At the Crucible Foundry in Norman Oklahoma, brothers Mark and Steve Palmerton, and sculptor Craig Campbell, research, sculpt, and cast bronze statues of deserving heroes—dead and alive, celebrated and forgotten. In small towns across America, these monuments ensure a legacy that will last for thousands of years, and the crew at the Crucible will go to any means to make sure they’re done right.

About Monument Guys - HISTORY.com (http://www.history.com/shows/monument-guys/about)

RadicalModerate
05-06-2015, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that The Crucible Foundry had a fairly major display--and "how-it's-done" presentation--at the OKC Arts Festival a few years ago. I am sure that I was impressed.

Pete
05-12-2015, 08:34 AM
The first episode was all about things in OKC and was very cool.

OKCTalk - New History Channel series centers on Norman-based artists; first episode features Putnam City High School and OK History Center (http://www.okctalk.com/content/156-monument-guys.html)

adaniel
05-12-2015, 08:52 AM
I thought I saw previews of this, but I didn't realize it was filmed in Norman. Will have to watch it.

That now makes two reality shows based in this area.

Urbanized
05-12-2015, 08:58 AM
Watched the debut episode last week. Really fun to take in. The Blackbeard sculpture for PCHS was pretty great. Glad to have an Oklahoma-based reality series built around culture and history instead of another hillbilly/redneck-oriented one. Hopefully they stick to that formula.

Pete
05-12-2015, 08:59 AM
It's all centered on The Crucible, the Norman foundry that produced the Land Run monument along the Bricktown Canal and lots of other cool stuff.

Tons of OKC-area footage.

Urbanized
05-12-2015, 09:04 AM
^^^^^^^
They did the first few Land Run pieces, but Paul Moore switched to a different, out-of-state foundry quite a while back. Not sure if there was a falling-out or what; he characterized it as being about bandwidth when I spoke with him a while back. But he WAS quick to correct me when I mentioned something about The Crucible's involvement.

mkjeeves
05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
^^^^^^^
They did the first few Land Run pieces, but Paul Moore switched to a different, out-of-state foundry quite a while back. Not sure if there was a falling-out or what; he characterized it as being about bandwidth when I spoke with him a while back. But he WAS quick to correct me when I mentioned something about The Crucible's involvement.

Cost increases, delivery delays was my understanding when he was looking for alternatives. That was before any switch. I wasn't sure if he had or not, he was looking at New Mexico, where he had other pieces cast (and worked at one time AFAIK.) The financiers for the land run wanted it cast in Oklahoma if possible.

I did enjoy the show. A little more on the hokey side and more formulaic than I imagined but a good fit for the History Channel audience I presume.

John
05-12-2015, 05:18 PM
I set the DVR for this series.

Glad to see a different angle of Oklahoma shown regularly on TV, rather than the usual Gangland/street racer/redneck/tornado slant.

I've always been intrigued by the whole bronze casting process.

John
05-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Show has been cancelled.

This is why we can't have nice things... :mad:

Urbanized
05-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Well hell.

Pete
05-26-2015, 06:04 AM
It was one of those shows that needed to be a half rather than a full hour.

Way too much filler between anything really going on, and the interaction of the cast seemed forced.

Still sucks though.

mkjeeves
05-26-2015, 06:30 AM
I wondered what happened to it. I saw two episodes and then nothing showed up on my TIVO. Maybe it will end up on Netflix.