View Full Version : 7 Eleven

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Pete
03-25-2018, 08:37 AM
^

That 63rd and Portland store was small and pretty crappy. In other words, like the majority of their stores.

OnCue opened right there at 63rd & NW Expressway and I'm not surprised that almost everyone stopped going to that 7-11 once they had an infinitely better choice.

catch22
03-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Even if the national 7/11 took over, they are just as bad from a store experience standpoint. Dirty, cluttered, and bad employees. I've been to normal 7/11's all across the country and have had the exact same experience in all of them.

My most memorable was a clerk who wouldn't sell me the last corn dog from the roller track - I'll give him props for his honest: "I can't sell you that one because I'm about to eat it".

Teo9969
03-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Even if the national 7/11 took over, they are just as bad from a store experience standpoint. Dirty, cluttered, and bad employees. I've been to normal 7/11's all across the country and have had the exact same experience in all of them.

My most memorable was a clerk who wouldn't sell me the last corn dog from the roller track - I'll give him props for his honest: "I can't sell you that one because I'm about to eat it".

hahaha!!! That's hilarious. I mean, I don't know how I'd react in that moment, but it's always nice to have stories like that in your back pocket, even if in the moment it's frustrating.

Yeah, we went into a couple 7-11s when in Miami and they're also pretty bad.

That being said - I'm a pretty habitual shopper at 7-11 and go to OnCue only on rare occasion. OnCue's are definitely nicer, but it's more expensive. I'm super glad OnCue is doing so well though, and I hope that they can run 7-11 out of business in the state because they're a great "local" brand.

catch22
03-25-2018, 12:03 PM
I will say that I will seek out a 7/11 if an OnCue is not convenient or if I don't have the time to go an extra mile or two out of my way. The selection inside is comparable, it's the stores and unhappy employees themselves that I don't like. I will entirely avoid the Shells/Conoco's of the world because they are almost all run independently of each other and there's zero consistency between locations.

pw405
03-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Honestly kinna glad the one at 63rd and Portland isn't operating any longer. In typical 7-11 fashion, the entrances and exits to the parking lot are too close to the intersection of 63rd and Portland!! Arrgg drives me crazy!!!!

Urbanized
03-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Aw man...where is EMSA going to park?

MikeLucky
03-25-2018, 09:48 PM
I won't ever set foot in an OKC 7-Eleven ever again, by choice. There isn't a place in the metro that doesn't have an OnCue near enough for me to go to it instead. I won't even go to the newly built or renovated 7-Elevens either. The Browns gave us absolutely crappy and dirty stores until OnCue showed up and started beating their asses. Suddenly I'm supposed to forget the squalor you gave us for decades? I think not.

I might be more passionate about convenience stores than I should be. Lol

scottk
03-26-2018, 08:10 PM
I might be more passionate about convenience stores than I should be. Lol

Nah...It's nice that OKC has a loyal following for a local company like OnCue. For years, OKC longed for an experience that mirrored what was up the turnpike and up and down I35 (Dallas and Wichita) with QuikTrip. It's one of the few places you visit usually at least once a week to fill up your vehicle. OnCue has taken advantage of making it more of an experience.

When people ask about OnCue's experience, I always compare it to the TARGET of C-Stores It's organized well, clean, and offers a better overall experience when compared to the competition...and much like TARGET, it has a loyal following.

d-usa
03-26-2018, 08:48 PM
Sometimes I go to OnCue just to poop, rather than risk any other store. I would also rather drive to Target to poop before stopping at Walmart. So your analogy fits pretty well.

u50254082
03-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Sometimes I go to OnCue just to poop, rather than risk any other store. I would also rather drive to Target to poop before stopping at Walmart. So your analogy fits pretty well.

LOL. Well I can't argue with that since I look for the same stores when I gotta "go" and can't make it home in time.

Another tip is that most hotel lobbies have GREAT bathrooms. Very clean and usually not occupied. Just walk in like you're a registered guest and nobody will even glance in your direction. When I worked downtown, it was a real treat to swing by the Skirvin Hilton to use their restrooms.

catch22
03-27-2018, 01:51 PM
the internet is a great wealth of information; in some instances too much information. LOL

d-usa
04-10-2018, 10:01 PM
The 7/11 near me (N. May & NW 164th) got rid of their movie rentals a short while ago. Now there is just a bare corner of the store with one wall having cases of beer stacked next to it, and the other having shelves with bottled soft drinks. Makes me wonder if they are planning on adding coolers there for the new alcohol laws?

u50254082
04-10-2018, 10:37 PM
The 7/11 near me (N. May & NW 164th) got rid of their movie rentals a short while ago. Now there is just a bare corner of the store with one wall having cases of beer stacked next to it, and the other having shelves with bottled soft drinks. Makes me wonder if they are planning on adding coolers there for the new alcohol laws?

LOL that sounds like pretty much any 7-11 in existence in OK. They all have a disorganized corner where they stack the stuff they couldn't fit into the fridges.

stile99
04-30-2018, 07:20 AM
Heard late yesterday that an announcement is coming soon that all Oklahoma 7 Eleven stores have been sold !!!!

I'm holding a wake for this rumor 'soon'. All are invited. It's potluck, please bring a covered dish. We're fine on drinks, they're being supplied by 7-Eleven.

Pete
05-06-2018, 10:17 AM
The new-style 7 Eleven at Reno and Rockwell is open:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/711050618.jpg

stile99
05-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Considering how many people I've heard say one of the good things about OnCue is the canopy goes all the way to the door, isn't this a bit of a swing and a miss?

ultimatesooner
05-06-2018, 12:40 PM
people are really that worried about walking 20 to 30 ft w/o a canopy?

geez society is turning into a bunch of weaklings

d-usa
05-06-2018, 02:37 PM
If you are wearing a suit, have your kids, or just don’t want to get wet during a downpour, why wouldn’t you pick the gas station that keeps you dry?

Also, another small thing I’ve noticed with 7-11 vs OnCue, although I don’t know if this is company wide for either:

When I use my credit card at 7-11, I always get a $125 hold that takes a couple days to clear and show the right amount. At OnCue I always get charged the actual amount pumped right away. It’s a small thing, but it’s just another small thing OnCue does better IMO.

stile99
05-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Not just during a downpour, most of the people I've heard mention the shade at OnCue is because of exactly that. THE SHADE. I would think the fact that a car can heat up in the Oklahoma sun easily in just the time it takes to go in, pay for your gas and drink, and come out would not be a surprise to someone calling themselves 'ultimatesooner'. But speaking of downpours, just last Wednesday when the storms moved through I saw multiple spotters exit the road and go park at a gas station when they hit the worst of it. One explicitly mentioned several times that there was almost no traffic, because most people had left the road and come to park under the canopy.

But hey, bunch of weaklings apparently.

barrettd
05-07-2018, 08:01 AM
If you are wearing a suit, have your kids, or just don’t want to get wet during a downpour, why wouldn’t you pick the gas station that keeps you dry?

Also, another small thing I’ve noticed with 7-11 vs OnCue, although I don’t know if this is company wide for either:

When I use my credit card at 7-11, I always get a $125 hold that takes a couple days to clear and show the right amount. At OnCue I always get charged the actual amount pumped right away. It’s a small thing, but it’s just another small thing OnCue does better IMO.

I can't use Google Pay at 7-11, even though my phone says I can. Works just fine at On-Cue, though.

catch22
05-07-2018, 08:05 AM
people are really that worried about walking 20 to 30 ft w/o a canopy?

geez society is turning into a bunch of weaklings

I recently started doing some rideshare in my spare time when I have nothing better to do. OnCue’s are an oasis. I can park in the shade and turn my car off while waiting for a rider to pop up. Don’t have to worry about my car getting hot or continue idling and wasting gas and engine wear.

TheTravellers
05-07-2018, 10:12 AM
I can't use Google Pay at 7-11, even though my phone says I can. Works just fine at On-Cue, though.

I'd bet you can use it at a non-OK 7-11 that's part of the national chain, just not at the crappy ones here in OK.

Ginkasa
05-07-2018, 10:39 AM
I'd bet you can use it at a non-OK 7-11 that's part of the national chain, just not at the crappy ones here in OK.

Not to say that the 7-Elevens here aren't crappy, but I will say that the 7-Elevens I've been to outside of Oklahoma have also been crappy. Its been a long time, though.

barrettd
05-07-2018, 11:16 AM

I didn't even think about that. You're probably right.

terryinokc
05-07-2018, 01:33 PM
I stopped at 7-11 at Hefner and May Saturday night around 9:00 for a fountain drink.....just happened to be on that side of the street. Otherwise would have gone to OnCue. There were two cars parked out front with about 8 people carrying on and talking (yelling) across to each other. Not anything vulgar really....just making big nuisances of themselves. I thought to myself....this is a 7-11 kind of thing. You don't see stuff like this at OnCue.

DowntownMan
05-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Lots of utility marking and survey flags at the land owned by 7/11 at Rockwell & Memorial. Maybe some action is going to be taking place here soon.

Jeepnokc
05-17-2018, 07:07 AM
I don't remember seeing it on here but they have built a new 7 Eleven behind the old one at SW 89th and South May. Not open yet but getting there.

OkiePoke
05-30-2018, 05:20 PM
They are prepping the surface for a 7 Eleven at the SE corner of Memorial and Rockwell. Should be doing final grading and foundation work soon. I believe Tinker FCU has already submitted a permit for just south of the storage facility.

SoonerDave
06-01-2018, 07:07 AM
I don't remember seeing it on here but they have built a new 7 Eleven behind the old one at SW 89th and South May. Not open yet but getting there.

Workers at the existing location told me they hope to be up and running in the new store by the end of June.

One thing I noticed about the new store is that it appears it does *not* have the higher ceilings the original concept stores have (like the one on Telephone Road in Moore). Can't tell much else about the new site as the old store blocks view..they can't finish the gasoline island canopy as part of it is obstructed by the existing store...

Jeepnokc
06-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Workers at the existing location told me they hope to be up and running in the new store by the end of June.

One thing I noticed about the new store is that it appears it does *not* have the higher ceilings the original concept stores have (like the one on Telephone Road in Moore). Can't tell much else about the new site as the old store blocks view..they can't finish the gasoline island canopy as part of it is obstructed by the existing store...

I noticed driving by they have painted on the side of the store a sign about fresh pizza or something of that sorts so I guess it will have hot food

Pete
06-04-2018, 09:33 AM
This is a future 7/11 at the SE corner of Memorial and Rockwell:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/711060318.jpg

OkiePoke
06-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Any way to petition to move the entrance/exit road farther east on Memorial?

Thomas Vu
06-04-2018, 01:28 PM
I'll miss oncue when this finishes. Will probably still try to find a way to go to oncue though.

MikeLucky
06-04-2018, 10:46 PM
That Rockwell 7-Eleven will be closer to my house than the closest OnCue at Hefner and May... But, I'll still drive to Hefner and May 100 times out of 100. I'm still not over the Brown's being completely fine with giving us flophouses because they didn't have any competition.

Thomas Vu
06-05-2018, 07:01 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat, but I live on Memorial and rockwell. We'll see what's up when it happens.

OkiePoke
06-05-2018, 07:18 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat, but I live on Memorial and rockwell. We'll see what's up when it happens.

We are probably neighbors...

What kind of fuel does 7-Eleven use? I know OnCue uses TopTier.

PaddyShack
06-05-2018, 07:24 AM
Doesn't OnCue use Phillips66 gas?

MikeLucky
06-05-2018, 08:06 AM

I'm really hoping what happens is OnCue builds next door to this new 7-Eleven.

baralheia
06-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Doesn't OnCue use Phillips66 gas?

They do, exclusively, for at least gasoline and diesel (https://www.oncueexpress.com/phillips-66). I think the E85 and CNG, at the OnCue stations that carry them, are not ConocoPhillips products - but I honestly don't remember 100%.

All grades of Phillips 66 gasoline are Top Tier certified fuels. I don't know if their diesel fuel meets the Top Tier additive standards, but that's a pretty new standard so it might not yet.

7-Eleven, on the other hand, uses basically the cheapest fuel they can get from their wholesaler, according to their FAQ (https://ok7-eleven.com/about/faq/). I seem to remember that they went through Red Rock Distributing for a long time but I have no idea if they still use them.

Thomas Vu
06-05-2018, 12:01 PM
We are probably neighbors...

What kind of fuel does 7-Eleven use? I know OnCue uses TopTier.

Hello Neighbor,

As peopl ehave mentioned, 7/11 isn't top tier. Of course the real question is will the convenience override the concern of quality of gas and experience in general.

Martin
06-05-2018, 12:14 PM
I think the E85 and CNG, at the OnCue stations that carry them, are not ConocoPhillips products - but I honestly don't remember 100%.

i think you're right on the e85... i'm pretty sure those pumps say something to the effect of 'not a conocophillips product'

OkiePoke
06-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Hello Neighbor,

As peopl ehave mentioned, 7/11 isn't top tier. Of course the real question is will the convenience override the concern of quality of gas and experience in general.

Depends on the vehicle I'm fueling up. Race car gets good stuff.

DowntownMan
06-05-2018, 06:54 PM
I'm really hoping what happens is OnCue builds next door to this new 7-Eleven.

The traffic counts currently plus what traffic counts will be once this area fully develops could easily support both and with easy turnpike access it would be ideal location for oncue as well. They should look into buying the north west corner at memorial and Rockwell. My wishful thinking...

MikeLucky
06-05-2018, 07:19 PM
The traffic counts currently plus what traffic counts will be once this area fully develops could easily support both and with easy turnpike access it would be ideal location for oncue as well. They should look into buying the north west corner at memorial and Rockwell. My wishful thinking...

Mine as well.

SEMIweather
06-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Mine as well.

Could also see them go one mile west and build one at Memorial & Council...

Thomas Vu
06-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Big money, big money, big money. No whammy, no whammy, no whammy....

MikeLucky
06-05-2018, 10:59 PM
Selfishly I'm hoping for somewhere on MacArthur between memorial and Hefner. In fact, everyday I drive past the SE corner of Hefner and MacArthur and think it would be perfect. Just saying

erasmusred
06-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Noticed yesterday they put a sign up at the Wilshire and Council 7-Eleven that they're building a new location where the current one is. They'll have a to get going if that Casey's is getting built at the same intersection. It will be interesting to see the intersection change so drastically. I'm assuming that means the Casey's is looking at the lot across the street on the southwest corner?

Pete
06-09-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm assuming that means the Casey's is looking at the lot across the street on the southwest corner?

Yes:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/caseys10.jpg

DowntownMan
06-27-2018, 11:08 AM
SW 89th and May location opened in new building yesterday. They will begin tearing down the existing location in the next few days to then complete the existing pumps and remaining parking lot for the new building. Good planning on their part so that they never had to close the location down.

Pete
07-05-2018, 12:31 PM
This is the 7/11 at SW 89th & May:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/711063018.jpg

Pete
07-22-2018, 08:43 AM
The old 7/11 on NW 63rd west of MacArthur and just west of the Warr Acres library post office has closed.

Been there forever and was one of their typical small, dingy stores.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/711macarthur.jpg

Urbanized
07-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Back around 1990 I dated a girl who lived in those ratty apartments behind. I made plenty of Icee runs to that 7-11; probably more than a few while drunk and in bare feet, regrettably.

PaddyShack
07-23-2018, 08:50 AM
I have noticed a number of the liquor stores that were attached to 7-11s along my normal driving routes have closed. For example, the 7-11 at Sara Rd and 66 had a small liquor that is now closed. The 7-11 at 36th and Rockwell had a small liquor store called Bethany Liquor and it is now closed. The 7-11 at 10th and Western also had a liquor store, a fairly nice one, that is now close. There are other examples as well. Is this a trend because 7-11 is trying to update their stores and pushing those liquor stores out or is this all to do with the upcoming liquor law changes? Or is it just coincidence that I have driven by all of the liquor stores that just happened to have closed recently?

T. Jamison
07-23-2018, 09:15 AM
It was reported in the Journal Record that Oklahoma City 7-Eleven store owners wouldn't renew the leases of attached liquor stores.

BBatesokc
07-28-2018, 05:10 AM
New 7-11 at 2nd and Coltrane is now open. Nice, big and new. I’m sure it will be very popular. The no drive through though means I’ll stick to the nearby On Cue for my daily trips.

SoonerDave
07-28-2018, 06:48 AM
I have noticed a number of the liquor stores that were attached to 7-11s along my normal driving routes have closed. For example, the 7-11 at Sara Rd and 66 had a small liquor that is now closed. The 7-11 at 36th and Rockwell had a small liquor store called Bethany Liquor and it is now closed. The 7-11 at 10th and Western also had a liquor store, a fairly nice one, that is now close. There are other examples as well. Is this a trend because 7-11 is trying to update their stores and pushing those liquor stores out or is this all to do with the upcoming liquor law changes? Or is it just coincidence that I have driven by all of the liquor stores that just happened to have closed recently?

Interesting, because a liquor store in a 7-11 center at SW 104 and Penn shut down just a couple of months ago....

Pete
08-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Went by the site at Rockwell and Memorial (SE corner) and they are starting to get busy.

Here are the plans; the building will face Rockwell and include some lease space on the south end:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/711082618a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/711082618b.jpg

PaddyShack
08-27-2018, 11:01 AM
The store at Council and Wilshire has demolished the small space adjacent to it which had 2 businesses I believe. They might just be expanding the building from the looks of the groundwork.

Quicker
08-27-2018, 11:05 AM
It was reported in the Journal Record that Oklahoma City 7-Eleven store owners wouldn't renew the leases of attached liquor stores.

This is correct. With the change in our liquor laws, liquor stores are now viewed as competitors by 7-Eleven and no leases are being renewed or being entered in to...