View Full Version : Big 12 Football 2015

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ljbab728
04-01-2015, 10:50 PM
With spring practice under way it's time to start thinking seriously about next season. The OU quarterback situation is always a good place to start.

Oklahoma football: Baker Mayfield making quite an impression | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/baker-mayfield-making-quite-an-impression/article/5406534)

okatty
04-02-2015, 07:40 AM
OU QB position will be interesting to watch. I heard the local radio "experts" giving their predictions on next season. OU predicted in the 9-3 or even 8-4 area. OSU was picked 9-3 or 10-2 with a favorable schedule and the tough games in Stillwater.

ljbab728
07-21-2015, 09:07 PM
Baylor, TCU will keep commanding Big 12's spotlight - Big 12 Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/101239/baylor-tcu-will-keep-commanding-big-12s-spotlight)

Jersey Boss
07-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Preseason coaches poll.

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. Alabama
4. Baylor
5. Oregon
6. Michigan State
7. Auburn
8. Florida State
9. Georgia
10. USC
11. Notre Dame
12. Clemson
13. LSU
14. UCLA
15. Ole Miss
16. Arizona State
17. Georgia Tech
18. Wisconsin
19. Oklahoma
20. Arkansas
21. Stanford
22. Arizona
23. Missouri
24. Boise State
25. Tennessee

The Amway Board of Coaches is made up of 64 head coaches at Bowl Subdivision schools. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. The board for the 2015 season: Dino Babers, Bowling Green; David Bailiff, Rice; Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Craig Bohl, Wyoming; Terry Bowden, Akron; Art Briles, Baylor; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Matt Campbell, Toledo; Rod Carey, Northern Illinois; Norm Chow, Hawaii; Paul Chryst, Wisconsin; Larry Coker, Texas-San Antonio; David Cutcliffe, Duke; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State; Bob Diaco, Connecticut; Larry Fedora, North Carolina; Jimbo Fisher, Florida State; Kyle Flood, Rutgers; Dennis Franchione, Texas State; James Franklin, Penn State; Willie Fritz, Georgia Southern; Al Golden, Miami; Todd Graham, Arizona State; Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State; Jim Harbaugh, Michigan; Mark Helfrich, Oregon; Doc Holliday, Marshall; Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette; Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech; Joey Jones, South Alabama; Brian Kelly, Notre Dame; Brad Lambert, Charlotte; Lance Leipold, Buffalo; Rocky Long, San Diego State; Mike MacIntyre, Colorado; Gus Malzahn, Auburn; Doug Martin, New Mexico State; Dan McCarney, North Texas; Ruffin McNeill, East Carolina; Bronco Mendenhall, Brigham Young; Urban Meyer, Ohio State; Les Miles, LSU; Phillip Montgomery, Tulsa; Jim Mora, UCLA; Ken Niumatalolo, Navy; George O'Leary, Central Florida; Gary Patterson, TCU; Chris Petersen, Washington; Paul Petrino, Idaho; Gary Pinkel, Missouri; Paul Rhoads, Iowa State; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Nebraska; Nick Saban, Alabama; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee State; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M; Dabo Swinney, Clemson; Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati; Matt Wells, Utah State; Kyle Whittingham, Utah

zookeeper
07-30-2015, 12:13 PM
The Big 12 is lucky to have some great coaches. Media Days showed Patterson and Briles as personable (even funny) but serious and down to business when the rubber meets the road. Both worthy of their team's top 5 rankings.

mugofbeer
07-30-2015, 06:16 PM
I still have to shake my head and laugh to think that Baylor and TCU are ranked in the national top 5 and are the only ranked Texas teams. You'd have been institutionalized if you*d said that 10 years ago.

zookeeper
07-30-2015, 09:11 PM
I still have to shake my head and laugh to think that Baylor and TCU are ranked in the national top 5 and are the only ranked Texas teams. You'd have been institutionalized if you*d said that 10 years ago.

You are right about that!

okatty
07-31-2015, 07:50 AM
Expansion talks just keep coming up. None of these teams does a lot for me - BYU maybe but after that?

Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem, BYU) a fun, cool topic this July | Deseret News (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865633471/Big-12-expansion-talk-ahem-BYU-a-fun-cool-topic-this-July.html?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F)

OKCretro
07-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Hoping that tcu or Baylor get snubbed again from the playoff so OU can leave this joke of a conference

Jersey Boss
07-31-2015, 10:11 AM
Expansion talks just keep coming up. None of these teams does a lot for me - BYU maybe but after that?

Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem, BYU) a fun, cool topic this July | Deseret News (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865633471/Big-12-expansion-talk-ahem-BYU-a-fun-cool-topic-this-July.html?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F)

These teams would expand the B12 into the ranks of being a mid-major.

zookeeper
07-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Two five team divisions and a championship game would make a big difference. Well, as big a difference as can be made in this conference. But they seem back and forth on that, which in itself looks bad. I think the biggest problem is that it's obvious everything has to be run by UT and if it doesn't sit right with them and their money with the Longhorn Network it gets shot down.

Zuplar
07-31-2015, 02:09 PM
I really think the Big12 is just going to go away once OU is poached away. I don't see this conference surviving long term.

Jersey Boss
07-31-2015, 02:37 PM
I really think the Big12 is just going to go away once OU is poached away. I don't see this conference surviving long term.

Hopefully this does not happen until Boren is no longer around and the SEC becomes the landing zone.

Zuplar
07-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Hopefully this does not happen until Boren is no longer around and the SEC becomes the landing zone.

Yeah I really think that the SEC and the Big10 are the only options OU would consider. Wouldn't be surprised if they were leaning to the latter.

Jersey Boss
08-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Yeah I really think that the SEC and the Big10 are the only options OU would consider. Wouldn't be surprised if they were leaning to the latter.

Because OU is not an AAU school, the Big 10 would not entertain having them. BTW the Daily Disappointment had a good article on the Big 10 today contrasting it with the Big 12.
Big Ten's new scheduling model further cripples Big 12's status | News OK (http://newsok.com/big-tens-new-scheduling-model-further-cripples-big-12s-status/article/5437806)

adaniel
08-04-2015, 03:33 PM
I've always thought OU would want to go west in the PAC 12. We would almost certainly have to go with UT, among others.

I agree though, outside of a major poach/get of at least two schools or some pretty drastic scheduling changes, the Big 12 is going to slowly die on the vine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 eventually merged with a depleted ACC.

OKCretro
08-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Because OU is not an AAU school, the Big 10 would not entertain having them. BTW the Daily Disappointment had a good article on the Big 10 today contrasting it with the Big 12.
Big Ten's new scheduling model further cripples Big 12's status | News OK (http://newsok.com/big-tens-new-scheduling-model-further-cripples-big-12s-status/article/5437806)

Is that a fact that the BIG 10 wouldn't take them b/c of non AAU status or just your opinion. I don't think Iowa or Nebraska are AAU schools

Pete
08-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Iowa is but Nebraska isn't.

gopokes88
08-04-2015, 04:13 PM

Nebraska was.
Nebraska loses AAU status - Big Ten Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status)

OU and OSU are going to the SEC eventually to form this beast of a conference especially if they go pod system.

OU
OSU
Arky
aTm

LSU
Bama
Auburn
Mizzou

Ole Miss
Miss St
Vandy
Kentuky

Florida
Georgia
USC
Tenn

Play the 3 in your pod and 2 from the remaining. 9 conference games. Rotate the teams in the other pods each year. (ie ou plays lsu bama, then auburn mizzou next year) So you'll play everyone in 2 years. Rotate home and away. You will have played the entire conference both home and away every 4 years.

The SEC championship is 2 rounds. Pod seed #1 vs #4. Pod seed #2 vs. #3.

What a glorious conference that would be.

SOONER8693
08-04-2015, 04:27 PM
The best thing for OU in this mess, is to divorce themselves from osu as quickly as possible. Everybody sees it but DBo. He will always have a hardon for osu.

Pete
08-04-2015, 04:29 PM
The best thing for OU in this mess, is to divorce themselves from osu as quickly as possible. Everybody sees it but DBo. He will always have a hardon for osu.

Because Boren knows he needs state assistance (funding, tuition increase requests) and divorcing from OSU would be politically unpopular.

Martin
08-04-2015, 04:34 PM

you're right, but nebraska was in the aau at the time they were inducted into the big10. -M

//edit: oops, looks like that was already covered. serves me right for opening a billion tabs at once.

OKCretro
08-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Because Boren knows he needs state assistance (funding, tuition increase requests) and divorcing from OSU would be politically unpopular.

I agree to a point. But if Boren or the next OU president can show he tried his best to bring along osu for the ride, I think he will get a pass. Other states have the top schools in different conference such as Iowa , Colorado, Utah.

Why does OU need to help osu? Why can't osu get a bid on their own merits?

ljbab728
08-04-2015, 10:59 PM
I agree to a point. But if Boren or the next OU president can show he tried his best to bring along osu for the ride, I think he will get a pass. Other states have the top schools in different conference such as Iowa , Colorado, Utah.

Why does OU need to help osu? Why can't osu get a bid on their own merits?

Are you seriously asking that knowing the caliber of our state legislature?

ultimatesooner
08-04-2015, 11:19 PM
These teams would expand the B12 into the ranks of being a mid-major.

the big "12" has been a mid major since the effed up in the conference realignment games in 2010

David Boren not letting OU leave then will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in OUs and the state of OKs history

dankrutka
08-05-2015, 12:55 AM
the big "12" has been a mid major since the effed up in the conference realignment games in 2010

David Boren not letting OU leave then will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in OUs and the state of OKs history

Let's not overstate things. What mid-major conference has two teams finish in the top 5?

dankrutka
08-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Is that a fact that the BIG 10 wouldn't take them b/c of non AAU status or just your opinion. I don't think Iowa or Nebraska are AAU schools

There have been numerous reports leaked that indicate that the Big 10 is open to accepting OU. Kansas is the most often partner mentioned...

Jersey Boss
08-05-2015, 06:58 AM

The option though could very well be out of Boren's hands. I could very well see the PAC 12 and SEC telling the remaining members of the B 12 that each conference will take one school from Kansas and one school from Oklahoma. At that point the local politics are a moot point. Tex. A & M leaving Tex. behind did not cause the anticipated political firestorm at the state house in Texas. When your ship is sinking you can't argue who you share your lifeboat with.

Pete
08-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Tex. A & M leaving Tex. behind did not cause the anticipated political firestorm at the state house in Texas.

Texas was then and is now in a stronger position than A&M, so a very different situation.

In retrospect, I wish OU (and OSU as well) would have gone to the Pac-12, which was the deal that was closest to being done.

Jersey Boss
08-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Texas was then and is now in a stronger position than A&M, so a very different situation.

But isn't OU comparable to Texas? Is the strength of OSU greater or less than A&M in their respective states? What makes the political situation so different?

Pete
08-05-2015, 07:13 AM
^

The difference is that the weaker partner chose to leave, not the stronger one.

And in the case of A&M, they are way stronger than OSU's athletic department and obviously had enough appeal to find a great opportunity on their own.

Zuplar
08-05-2015, 07:26 AM
There have been numerous reports leaked that indicate that the Big 10 is open to accepting OU. Kansas is the most often partner mentioned...

Yep, exactly what I've seen.

SOONER8693
08-05-2015, 07:41 AM

In retrospect, I wish OU (and OSU as well) would have gone to the Pac-12, which was the deal that was closest to being done.
Didn't happen, because osu was not on par with the Pac-12 schools academically.

OKCretro
08-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Why is it OU's responsibility to help osu? I just don't understand this idea, I mean I get it from osu fans standpoint the only way they get into a better conference is by OU bringing them with them. Its funny with OSu needing so much help from OU you think that osu fans would treat OU fans better, but they don't.

The school the fans hate the most is their only chance of getting in a P4

Jersey Boss
08-05-2015, 09:02 AM
^

The difference is that the weaker partner chose to leave, not the stronger one.

And in the case of A&M, they are way stronger than OSU's athletic department and obviously had enough appeal to find a great opportunity on their own.

Of course if the B 12 is disintegrating, the other conferences are the ones bargaining from a position of "take it or leave it". I could see the PAC 12 offering Boise, BYU, and one team each from Kansas and Oklahoma. If OU does not take the offer, the other Kansas school goes or possibly even Colorado State. Then OU has the choice of SEC or Big 10, neither of which wants OSU. Of course OU would still have a non choice of being an independent, which is where I see Texas heading.

gopokes88
08-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Didn't happen, because osu was not on par with the Pac-12 schools academically.

I get that you hate OSU and all but every single credible report says the move to the PAC-12 didn't happen because in round 1 aTm didn't want to go and round 2 texas refused to fold the longhorn network. The deal didn't make sense without UT.

Oh and the governor can veto any decision by either BOR's for not acting in the best interest for the State of Oklahoma. So if OU left OSU it would be quickly vetoed. So to the SEC we're going.

Jersey Boss
08-05-2015, 05:35 PM
The SEC has never shown any interest in OSU. If the B12 is in a position of dissolving, there is a new reality. The SEC can very easily say there is only 1 ticket and that ticket is for OU. OU is not bigger than the SEC and it is not in the best interest of either OU or the state of Oklahoma to spite their face by cutting off their nose. Nor does the SEC need OU or desire them so badly to be forced to take an OSU team they have no interest in. If the governor does indeed have the power to veto a BOR decision the decision can be overridden. It is not in the best interest of the state or OU to pass on the SEC because the SEC says no to OSU. As an aside, since expansion has started in the last decade, the SEC has not taken 2 schools from the same state.

OKCretro
08-05-2015, 05:43 PM
I get that you hate OSU and all but every single credible report says the move to the PAC-12 didn't happen because in round 1 aTm didn't want to go and round 2 texas refused to fold the longhorn network. The deal didn't make sense without UT.

Oh and the governor can veto any decision by either BOR's for not acting in the best interest for the State of Oklahoma. So if OU left OSU it would be quickly vetoed. So to the SEC we're going.

So your saying if there is only 1 spot open the governor of Oklahoma will say that Ou can't go because osu can't ? So The state of Oklahoma would be left with zero football programs in the top 4 conferences. I doubt that.
Osu better hang on to Ou's coat tails as long as they can

Laramie
08-05-2015, 07:05 PM
We kept hearing this scenario about how the Texas legislature had Texas - Texas A&M packaged together. You know how long that marriage lasted. OU-OSU needs to move on if the league doesn't want to expand.

The Big XII needs to expand or disband. The Southeastern Conference is crowded; therefore, the Pac 12 or the Big 10 would be the most logical choices.

The Big XII has lost 4 key schools:

Colorado to the Pac 12
Missouri & Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference
Nebraska to the Big 10

Nebraska, Arkansas, BYU and Cincinnati (add 2):

Why not bring back Nebraska and add BYU or pluck Arkansas from the SE conference; Cincinnati could be a competitive member? The Cornhuskers would love to get back in the mix with Oklahoma & Texas. Texas needs to realize that they caused much of the dissent among the conference. OU is just as responsible for hanging on to Texas like a hen-pecked husband.

The Big XII wasn't looking for name-recognition when they added Baylor & TCU; any of the current Big XII schools could develop into a national powerhouse.

Potential TV Households:

BYU: Salt Lake City - 897,390 (34th)
Cincinnati: Cincinnati - 876,290 (36th)
Arkansas*: Little Rock - 555,370 (56th) Fort Smith - 296,920 (101st) [852,290]
Nebraska*: Lincoln - 277,120 (105th) , Omaha 413,250 (74th) [690,370]
*Name-recognition

Source: http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf

dankrutka
08-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Why would Nebraska or Arkansas even consider leaving stable conferences for a crumbling one? Unfortunately, they wouldn't. I'd love them in the conference, but it's not realistic.

I want OU in a rejuvenated Bug 12, but it's just going to be hard to do. It's good for the center of the country to have its own conference and it's good for the fans. However, Texas' ego screwed everything up. 3 of the 4 schools left the Big 12 directly because of UT's arrogance. They ruined a good thing.

Laramie
08-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Why would Nebraska or Arkansas even consider leaving stable conferences for a crumbling one? Unfortunately, they wouldn't. I'd love them in the conference, but it's not realistic.

I want OU in a rejuvenated Bug 12, but it's just going to be hard to do. It's good for the center of the country to have its own conference and it's good for the fans. However, Texas' ego screwed everything up. 3 of the 4 schools left the Big 12 directly because of UT's arrogance. They ruined a good thing.

Dan, realistic is true,

Arkansas could have gone to the Big 12 when the Southwest Conference (disbanded) as well; add that to the list of Texas' screw ups...

Texas is a Deva, much more than a Devo...

SOONER8693
08-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Oh and the governor can veto any decision by either BOR's for not acting in the best interest for the State of Oklahoma. So if OU left OSU it would be quickly vetoed. So to the SEC we're going.I'm indifferent to osu. The place doesn't exist as far as my thought process is concerned. Just wish they would go their way and not depend on and leave OU out of it.

Jersey Boss
08-05-2015, 08:51 PM
We kept hearing this scenario about how the Texas legislature had Texas - Texas A&M packaged together. You know how long that marriage lasted. OU-OSU needs to move on if the league doesn't want to expand.

The Big XII needs to expand or disband. The Southeastern Conference is crowded; therefore, the Pac 12 or the Big 10 would be the most logical choices.

The Big XII has lost 4 key schools:

Colorado to the Pac 12
Missouri & Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference
Nebraska to the Big 10

Nebraska, Arkansas, BYU and Cincinnati (add 2):

Why not bring back Nebraska and add BYU or pluck Arkansas from the SE conference; Cincinnati could be a competitive member? The Cornhuskers would love to get back in the mix with Oklahoma & Texas. Texas needs to realize that they caused much of the dissent among the conference. OU is just as responsible for hanging on to Texas like a hen-pecked husband.

The Big XII wasn't looking for name-recognition when they added Baylor & TCU; any of the current Big XII schools could develop into a national powerhouse.

Potential TV Households:

BYU: Salt Lake City - 897,390 (34th)
Cincinnati: Cincinnati - 876,290 (36th)
Arkansas*: Little Rock - 555,370 (56th) Fort Smith - 296,920 (101st) [852,290]
Nebraska*: Lincoln - 277,120 (105th) , Omaha 413,250 (74th) [690,370]
*Name-recognition

Source: http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf

The SEC has 14 schools, room for 2 more. However the SEC in their expansion plans in the past did not want to add 2 schools from the same state. At the end of the day OSU does not bring enough TV sets to warrant the SEC giving them a slice of the pie. That leaves OU. To your point about BYU. They don't want to play on Sunday. Outside of FB, most other sports have Sunday games. What a scheduling nightmare to accommodate that requirement. As previously mentioned Neb. and Arkansas are not going to leave a superior league for an inferior one. Plus they would lose their TV right money as that would stay with their current league. Big 10 allegedly is not interested in schools not AAU affiliated. OSU is not in a good position. I also do not see Iowa State, Kansas, TT or KSU(minus Snyder) ever being a national powerhouse either. If the B12 folds it will be every man for himself.

Laramie
08-06-2015, 07:31 AM
The SEC has 14 schools, room for 2 more. However the SEC in their expansion plans in the past did not want to add 2 schools from the same state. At the end of the day OSU does not bring enough TV sets to warrant the SEC giving them a slice of the pie. That leaves OU. To your point about BYU. They don't want to play on Sunday. Outside of FB, most other sports have Sunday games. What a scheduling nightmare to accommodate that requirement. As previously mentioned Neb. and Arkansas are not going to leave a superior league for an inferior one. Plus they would lose their TV right money as that would stay with their current league. Big 10 allegedly is not interested in schools not AAU affiliated. OSU is not in a good position. I also do not see Iowa State, Kansas, TT or KSU(minus Snyder) ever being a national powerhouse either. If the B12 folds it will be every man for himself.

Kansas does possess the academic prowess to go to any conference. As to football, they are not on par at this time; basketball is where their strength lies.

Interesting articles on Nebraska: ESPN's Jake Trotter: Nebraska Should Move Back To The Big 12 Conference - Corn Nation (http://www.cornnation.com/2015/6/25/8846613/nebraska-huskers-athletics-jake-trotter-big-12-return-you-dreamin-man)

5 Years Later, Did Nebraska Make Right Choice Leaving Big 12 for Big Ten? | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2493105-5-years-later-did-nebraska-make-right-choice-leaving-big-12-for-big-ten)

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-07-23/big-12-conference-expansion-nebraska-kansas-state-bill-snyder

Jersey Boss
08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Kansas does possess the academic prowess to go to any conference. As to football, they are not on par at this time; basketball is where their strength lies.

Interesting articles on Nebraska: ESPN's Jake Trotter: Nebraska Should Move Back To The Big 12 Conference - Corn Nation (http://www.cornnation.com/2015/6/25/8846613/nebraska-huskers-athletics-jake-trotter-big-12-return-you-dreamin-man)

5 Years Later, Did Nebraska Make Right Choice Leaving Big 12 for Big Ten? | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2493105-5-years-later-did-nebraska-make-right-choice-leaving-big-12-for-big-ten)

Nebraska back in Big 12? Bill Snyder would be good with that | NCAA Football | Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-07-23/big-12-conference-expansion-nebraska-kansas-state-bill-snyder)

You are right about KU and hoops. KU would be eagerly sought by the ACC. Should the ACC snare Kansas, the ACC would be to basketball what the SEC is to football. The payout to that league from March Madness revenues would be greatly enhanced.

OKCretro
08-06-2015, 10:22 AM
When the Big 12 breaks up, UT OU and KU will be fine, they will all find homes.

Tech, OSU, KSU, ISU. Baylor, WVU, tcu will be in trouble and trying to ride the coat tails of the big 3. Maybe these 7 stick together and try to add 5 more to be a bridge from the P4 and the mid majors-. They could add like Cinci, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulane and that wouldn't be that bad of an upper mid-major

trousers
08-06-2015, 10:33 AM

The states history...really?

okatty
08-06-2015, 10:45 AM
good article by Tramel today especially the Big 12 waiting for a "pie in the sky" solution.

okatty
08-09-2015, 02:00 PM
ESPN magazine has feature on the Oklahoma drill titled This is Not Just a Drill. OU ranked 21. TCU 2 and Baylor 4.

ljbab728
08-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the big time, Baylor, Controversies come with the territory.

[UPDATE] Chris Peterson says in statement he informed Baylor's Briles about Sam Ukwuachu's past | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/update-chris-peterson-says-in-statement-he-informed-baylors-briles-about-sam-ukwuachus-past/article/5441519)

ljbab728
08-23-2015, 10:16 PM
A very good article by Barry Trammel on this issue at Baylor.

Tramel: Briles likely will survive ordeal, but the next coach won't | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/briles-likely-will-survive-but-the-next-guilty-coach-wont/article/5441922)

ljbab728
09-03-2015, 10:47 PM
OSU and TCU began their seasons tonight and I have similar thoughts about both. They both started on the road against teams they were heavily favored over. They both somewhat struggled early before finally having decent wins. Any road win is good but they both showed little signs of having the kind of season they are hoping for. You can't make any final analysis after one game but they both have things to prove. It was just not the impressive start that many were expecting for either team, especially TCU.

Filthy
09-04-2015, 07:26 AM
It was just not the impressive start that many were expecting for either team, especially TCU.

I don't have an allegiance either way, but am somewhat curious as to why "especially" TCU? Before the season even started, most talking heads said that a TCU win over Minnesota on the road, would be the best Non Conference win for the Big 12 this season. Its debatable, obviously, with the "opportunity" for Oklahoma to beat Tennessee, but Minnesota is a good team, returning a lot of starters, and several key players from a bowl team last year. So You are correct, in that TCU was NOT very impressive in their victory..but, the at the end of the day...Minnesota is still a formidable Power 5 conference opponent with athletes on par athletically with everyone on the TCU roster.

On the other side of the equation of "either" team, I would also agree with your assessment that Oklahoma State also did not have an impressive start. A win is a win....no doubt. But, I personally would be much more concerned..and or, would feel like there should be much more alarm, for what we saw from Oklahoma State. Central Michigan is a MAC team, and although there are still scholarship athletes...there are not many.....if any, that should be on par physically with what OSU has to put out on the field. Regardless of "expectations" whether, good or bad. Oklahoma State should have been able to physically push Central Michigan all over the field, even of they were to keep everything super simple, and regardless of gameplan. In the trenches, OSU should have been able to move the line of scrimmage with ease, and blow them off the ball...allowing playmakers to make the plays. But, it never happened. The sky isn't falling...and they won the game...but in context of the situation at hand...I would definitely find the results to be MUCH more surprising and/or concerning, than the TCU win over Minnesota.

Unfortunately, for Oklahoma State...there really isn't an opportunity to get much better over the next few weeks. With Central Arkansas, and University of Texas @ San Antonio scheduled for the next two games...they wont be tested in any way. Literally going thru the motions, should garner a 40-50 point margin of victory. One would hope that it doesn't give them a false sense of accomplishment. Maybe having to face the early adversity in the first game, will make them work harder.

ljbab728
09-04-2015, 08:05 AM
I don't have an allegiance either way, but am somewhat curious as to why "especially" TCU? Before the season even started, most talking heads said that a TCU win over Minnesota on the road, would be the best Non Conference win for the Big 12 this season.

Those same talking heads must not have been aware that Texas plays a road game this year at Notre Dame. A win there would, without a doubt, be the biggest non-conference win for any Big 12 team this year.

Filthy
09-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Those same talking heads must not have been aware that Texas plays a road game this year at Notre Dame. A win there would, without a doubt, be the biggest non-conference win for any Big 12 team this year.

If I recall, the exact verbage was that...TCU over Minnesota will be the biggest Non Conference win for the Big 12 this year. I'm assuming, they are already marking Texas and Oklahoma with a loss.

jerrywall
09-04-2015, 09:53 AM
OSU seemed a little... apathetic...I guess? It was a lukewarm start to the season, and I'm hoping they are more on the game when they face some more formidable opponents.

okatty
09-04-2015, 12:37 PM
You could tell it was week 1 last night - watched a good bit of SC - NC; OSU game and some of TCU-Minn. Offenses were behind defenses for the most part and just some execution issues which led to low scoring games. Kinda look forward to seeing what happens with Texas - ND; ASU v A&m and Louisville - Auburn games (even though not all in Big 12). And of course OU - gonna be toasty Sat. at 6.

ljbab728
09-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Baylor was also a little sluggish for about half of their game tonight but ended up doing just about what everyone expected. I think their defense is still suspect.

okatty
09-05-2015, 09:45 AM
^But they made a bunch of bettors made as they failed to cover by 1/2 a point..ha

dcsooner
09-05-2015, 10:48 AM
SD State 17 Kansas 7. All you need to know about b12