View Full Version : OKCFest 2015

Pages : [1] 2

warreng88
03-25-2015, 02:24 PM
According to pollstar.com, this is set for Friday, June 26th and Saturday, June 27th. The only artist listed is Lucas Hoge on Saturday. I didn't see any other information online.

sooner88
04-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Per their twitter account, they are announcing the headliners tomorrow at 10 am.

sooner88
04-08-2015, 04:31 PM
OKCFest announces headliners and main stage lineup for 2015 | News OK (http://newsok.com/okcfest-announces-headliners-and-main-stage-lineup-for-2015/article/5408457)

coov23
04-08-2015, 05:16 PM
OKCFest announces headliners and main stage lineup for 2015 | News OK (http://newsok.com/okcfest-announces-headliners-and-main-stage-lineup-for-2015/article/5408457)
Such a garbage lineup. Count me as not attending for second year in a row. Can the guys running this not get a more relevant lineup? Sammy Hagar is your lead rock artist? This isn't 1985. I'm so disappointed, yet again..

Pete
04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Sammy Hagar is 67 years old. Sixty seven.

Hank Williams Jr. is 65.

Of course, the two organizers -- Mick Cornett and Fred Hall -- are in their late 50's and early 60's, respectively.

coov23
04-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Sammy Hagar is 67 years old. Sixty seven.

Hank Williams Jr. is 65.

Of course, the two organizers -- Mick Cornett and Fred Hall -- are in their late 50's and early 60's, respectively.
you cant, " build a music community" when you are still living 30 years ago with headliners. Sammy Hagar sucked after Van Halen. The leaders of this event are lost, to put it nicely.

Roger S
04-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Anyone know how long the sets are? I'd really like to see Drive By Truckers and Graham Colton on the 26th but I'm not going to pay a lot to see a short set.

bchris02
04-08-2015, 07:55 PM
you cant, " build a music community" when you are still living 30 years ago with headliners. Sammy Hagar sucked after Van Halen. The leaders of this event are lost, to put it nicely.

I don't think OKCFest will ever be a SXSW-style music festival nor is it intended to be because its not even being targeted to that audience. The target audience for OKCFest is primarily rural, Southern baby boomers. Riverfest in Fort Smith, Arkansas is very similar as is the music portion of Speedstreet in Charlotte. These types of events are cheap to organize and they sell well with their target audience.

There is a market in OKC for a real music festival targeted towards Millennials that will not be competition with OKCFest.

OkieHornet
04-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Anyone know how long the sets are? I'd really like to see Drive By Truckers and Graham Colton on the 26th but I'm not going to pay a lot to see a short set.

i'd be real surprised to see either get more than 45 minutes. that's just me guessing based on it being a friday and probably starting late afternoon/early evening, and them billed as the first 2 to play.

ABryant
04-09-2015, 04:57 AM
Sammy Hagar and Hank Williams Jr are both musicians you might see at the Zoo Amphitheater or for free at Frontier City. I just can't imagine them drawing a huge crowd. Maybe I just don't understand OKCFest's target audience. Just for an example: Some of my friends saw Hank Williams Jr at the Texas state fair for free one year.

bchris02
04-09-2015, 11:15 AM
They had lower attendance last year than anticipated, correct?

If they want a successful music festival they need to bring in artists that people want to see. Sammy Hagar and Hank Williams Jr isn't going to cut it. I am sure there will be attendance, yes, but it will never be the kind of destination music festival the mayor had in mind if these are the kind of artists that will be playing.

Edgar
04-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Cornett thinks big only when it's taxpayer monies. Do you think he'll play can't drive 55? That's my favorite MTV video.

jccouger
04-09-2015, 12:26 PM
LOL what a joke. Get out of here with this nonsense.

I'm sure this festival won't last past 7 PM because it will be way passed all attendees bedtime at that point.

OkieHornet
04-09-2015, 01:21 PM
They had lower attendance last year than anticipated, correct?

If they want a successful music festival they need to bring in artists that people want to see. Sammy Hagar and Hank Williams Jr isn't going to cut it. I am sure there will be attendance, yes, but it will never be the kind of destination music festival the mayor had in mind if these are the kind of artists that will be playing.

this was a pic from last year on their facebook. not sure what day or time, but it's a pretty good-sized crowd.

sooner88
04-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Rascal Flatts plays at arenas like CHK, etc so I'm sure they will bring a large crowd. I agree that there should be more relevant acts.

I only went on Friday last year, but wasn't the lower attendance due to a storm on Saturday? It was packed on Friday. And I believe that each band before the headliner played ~1 hour.

Bullbear
04-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I will probably go to see Grace Potter Friday night.. she puts on a great show!..

Urbanized
04-09-2015, 02:15 PM
I've seen Grace Potter a couple of time live, and agree that she's pretty fantastic. Would like to see Drive By Truckers, too. That said, the lineup for tomorrow night's ACM@UCO Metro Music Fest in Bricktown is frankly more inspiring, even with the headliners only being emerging artists from within the state. I'd really like to see OKC Fest model itself after ACL as far as bookings are concerned. Hoping they find their groove at some point.

coov23
04-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I've seen Grace Potter a couple of time live, and agree that she's pretty fantastic. Would like to see Drive By Truckers, too. That said, the lineup for tomorrow night's ACM@UCO Metro Music Fest in Bricktown is frankly more inspiring, even with the headliners only being emerging artists from within the state. I'd really like to see OKC Fest model itself after ACL as far as bookings are concerned. Hoping they find their groove at some point.
What is your gut feeling on why they have been so bad at finding artists that are currently relevant? I only ask because you seem to have a good pulse on music scene in okc.

hfry
04-09-2015, 02:59 PM
The first year they had the excuse it was so late they could really only book what they could. This year I think people expected better, but with Hall's apparent connection to Nashville(I think) there should have be a better lineup of music. I don't think anyone here is saying to do a full pop concert or full country but its about find tons of bands and acts that find many types of music and creating a festival. Not a tribute to people who were relevant before a large percentage of the city was born.

coov23
04-09-2015, 03:11 PM
The first year they had the excuse it was so late they could really only book what they could. This year I think people expected better, but with Hall's apparent connection to Nashville(I think) there should have be a better lineup of music. I don't think anyone here is saying to do a full pop concert or full country but its about find tons of bands and acts that find many types of music and creating a festival. Not a tribute to people who were relevant before a large percentage of the city was born.
Couldn't agree more. Their twitter and Facebook pages are brutal. OkcFest better make changes or they are going to be severely in the negative when they do their profits. No one is excited about the lineup. You can't have 60 year olds trying to find relevant musicians for a diverse population. You need your, energetic marketing staff to get a lineup for country, pop and rock. Make it 3 days and make it where fans of all ages will enjoy it. Not just those in their 50's and beyond. If they added the likes of the Eagles to go with Mumford and Sons and a Luke Bryan it would be a hit, regionally.

bchris02
04-09-2015, 03:16 PM

I agree with this. Even if they wanted to keep it country, booking old, has-been artists from 30 years ago has a "well, this is the best we can do" feel to it.

Pete
04-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Didn't they have Lady Antebellum last year?

Way better and more relevant than anyone in this year's line-up.

bchris02
04-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Agreed. This year is a step down from last year, not a step up. Any ideas as to why?

AP
04-09-2015, 07:59 PM

Yes, as well as Dierks Bentley and some other good acts. I'm not the biggest country fan but last year was a lot of fun. Don't think I would go this year even if the tickets were free...

Stickman
04-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Mayor Mick and Fred H. will be their.
haha

Bullbear
04-22-2015, 10:00 AM
you can go to Pride that same weekend and see En Vogue and village people for free..LOL.. about as impressive

Dubya61
04-22-2015, 11:07 AM
you can go to Pride that same weekend and see En Vogue and village people for free..LOL.. about as impressive

Where can I find info on Pride?

Bullbear
04-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Where can I find info on Pride?

OKCpride.org

adaniel
04-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Hold up.....

En vouge, you say?

Bullbear
04-22-2015, 12:56 PM
LOL.. yes en vogue.. when I first heard it i was like. they are " never gonna get it never gonna get it".. but the deposit is paid..lol..
hahaha couldn't help myself..

ljbab728
05-31-2015, 07:37 PM
Last year there were several performance venues where no admission was charged. Does anyone know if that will happen again this year? I can't find any mention about it on their website.

Bullbear
06-01-2015, 08:24 AM
The website is not the best design but I was able to find what I needed to see. Still no re-entry. Someone needs to help them run a festival. you can't pack people into a concrete parking lot, not allow lawn chairs and have a no re-entry policy. If they do have other acts outside of the concrete event space well the ticketed patrons can't go and enjoy them because they are locked in the main stage area and can't leave and come back. they really need to work on this concept and talk to other people who run successful festivals.

TheTravellers
06-02-2015, 10:55 AM
The website is not the best design but I was able to find what I needed to see. Still no re-entry. Someone needs to help them run a festival. you can't pack people into a concrete parking lot, not allow lawn chairs and have a no re-entry policy. If they do have other acts outside of the concrete event space well the ticketed patrons can't go and enjoy them because they are locked in the main stage area and can't leave and come back. they really need to work on this concept and talk to other people who run successful festivals.

Sadly, this follows the pattern of Okies thinking they know how to do sh*t and plowing ahead with it, rather than asking the hundreds, if not thousands, of communities that have done successfully, multiple times, what the Okies are trying to do. This is not only for this festival, but applies to construction, road and otherwise, public policies, and many other things. It gets really really old watching people do things badly when it could've turned out otherwise...

Back on topic - wife saw the post for OKCFest this year and said "Hmm, Grace Potter's good" and that was about the entirety of her comment on it. Unfortunately, it'll probably be a smashing success, due to the low standards for live music here (which hopefully will change with the new bldgs/promoters) and tons of folks that will RAWK OUT for Sammy Hagar and Hank Jr., and will lead the organizers to keep getting half-a**ed acts...

Bullbear
06-02-2015, 11:08 AM
That was my feeling as well.. I like Grace potter but have seen her as a headliner so to buy a ticket for this wouldn't make sense.

I hear what your saying about sadly it will be successful. its a double edged sword. If it wasn't successful they would probably abandon the idea of a festival instead of finding way to make it better. But if its successful they think they have really hit a home run and continue doing more of the same. So its a tough one.

OKCRT
06-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Don't worry-Be happy.
At least they are doing something.

bchris02
06-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, it'll probably be a smashing success, due to the low standards for live music here (which hopefully will change with the new bldgs/promoters) and tons of folks that will RAWK OUT for Sammy Hagar and Hank Jr., and will lead the organizers to keep getting half-a**ed acts...

Didn't it underperform last year, hence the downgraded lineup for this year?

jerrywall
06-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Really, I think it's good that someone's doing SOMETHING... verses just bitching on a message board about it. Not all events are meant for everyone. This one definitely isn't my cuppa joe. That being said, who says everything has to be tailored to me. Hoping for this to fail is nuts. If this does well, then someone else will start another festival.

Hell, I've got experience putting together events and festivals (and even a parade or two). If I knew enough about the regional indy music scene I'd probably put something on myself. I could probably get Edmond or MWC to host/sponsor it, but I just don't keep current on music. I'm locked in the 90's.

Jersey Boss
06-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Really, I think it's good that someone's doing SOMETHING... verses just bitching on a message board about it. Not all events are meant for everyone. This one definitely isn't my cuppa joe. That being said, who says everything has to be tailored to me. Hoping for this to fail is nuts. If this does well, then someone else will start another festival.

Hell, I've got experience putting together events and festivals (and even a parade or two). If I knew enough about the regional indy music scene I'd probably put something on myself. I could probably get Edmond or MWC to host/sponsor it, but I just don't keep current on music. I'm locked in the 90's.
Truer words are rarely spoken. I agree with this other than the era I am locked into.

TheTravellers
06-04-2015, 09:01 PM

I'm fairly kept up with new bands (not as well as I should be, but I make a huge effort to see what everybody's (well, almost everybody) listening to, together we could probably put on something better than OKCFest... But the problem is that you gotta have the money to get the good bands, unless they're just starting out or just small-ish if they're established. :( And I don't have enough experience doing this kind of thing, or the connections, otherwise I'd tackle it myself...

Edgar
06-05-2015, 11:40 AM
A hipster like Mick Cornett putting on a music festival, you know it's going to rock. Cornett imagined the event to spotlight OKC and the whole thing just seems so tightwad lame. Penning people in a blacktop lot in the summertime in Ok, no chairs, reentry if you want to check out the Myriad Gardens, and the odd amalgam of bands. Someone who knows what they're doing would help.

BoulderSooner
06-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Didn't it underperform last year, hence the downgraded lineup for this year?

No it was a huge success

warreng88
06-06-2015, 09:03 AM
A hipster like Mick Cornett putting on a music festival, you know it's going to rock. Cornett imagined the event to spotlight OKC and the whole thing just seems so tightwad lame. Penning people in a blacktop lot in the summertime in Ok, no chairs, reentry if you want to check out the Myriad Gardens, and the odd amalgam of bands. Someone who knows what they're doing would help.

You lost me when you referred to the mayor as a hipster...

borchard
06-27-2015, 05:23 AM

Just another Prodigal success tory

king183
06-27-2015, 11:16 AM
I've been hearing a lot of bad reports from friends who attended yesterday. They said there was almost no one there and the lineup was underwhelming. Anyone else hearing this or am I just hearing from the Eeyores?

Or maybe if yesterdays rock portion didn't go off well, today's country will go better?

OkieHornet
06-28-2015, 02:11 PM
good article by nathan poppe on newsok:
16 stray observations from OKCFest 2015 | News OK (http://newsok.com/16-stray-observations-from-okcfest-2015/article/5430514)

#3 is interesting: 3,100 fans showed up on Friday. About 6,000 on Saturday.

Richard at Remax
06-28-2015, 04:29 PM
I am 31 years old and you couldn't have paid me to go to the festival. If you want big crowds you gotta get someone in there who is going to bring in a lot of younger people and/or a lot of loyal fans. I know they have high rates, but if you get someone like Bassnectar, lil wayne, calvin harris,coldplay, wiz khalifa, or a old school rock group like rage against the machine in there that will get people there. Even if you don't like EDM you can't argue that the environments are some of the best you can attend.

I'm sorry Sammy Hagar, Rascal Flats, and Hank Williams will not bring 30,000 fans.

OkiePoke
06-28-2015, 04:34 PM
I am 31 years old and you couldn't have paid me to go to the festival. If you want big crowds you gotta get someone in there who is going to bring in a lot of younger people and/or a lot of loyal fans. I know they have high rates, but if you get someone like Bassnectar, lil wayne, calvin harris,coldplay, wiz khalifa, or a old school rock group like rage against the machine in there that will get people there. Even if you don't like EDM you can't argue that the environments are some of the best you can attend.

I'm sorry Sammy Hagar, Rascal Flats, and Hank Williams will not bring 30,000 fans.

This is definitely true. Hard to go to a concert that doesn't have that type of environment.

Edgar
06-28-2015, 05:07 PM
This is definitely true. Hard to go to a concert that doesn't have that type of environment.

What is that type of environment'?

Edgar
06-28-2015, 05:14 PM
Really, Sammy Hagar sucked bad enough 20 years ago to get fired from van Halen and I'm definitely not paying to hear a redneck dip&^%$ like Bochephus and see the stars and bars everywhere. they're going to have to try harder. Can they not find a green space nearby to hold it? Asking people to agree to be penned up on a blacktop in the summer in Ok is kind of asking a lot.

OkiePoke
06-29-2015, 04:32 PM
What is that type of environment'?

It is such an experience to go to a festival. I know people who don't even care for the music that much go because it is that great.

NSFW (clothing and language) Downtown Miami.

https://youtu.be/7pFbrxs5FJY?t=58s

Same concert (Ultra) as before but at night. Make sure you make it past 2:30.

https://youtu.be/P2x3-b6JEj8?t=10s

Inside w/ about 10k people watching this show. Over 20k people at this concert, Lights All Night.

https://youtu.be/WCo4Q-ipFsk

And something a bit more mellow.

https://youtu.be/pCg1sq6tg0U

Richard at Remax
06-29-2015, 07:55 PM
I went to Lights All Night in 2012 and benny Benassi, porter robinson, and tiesto. that was awesome. saw calvin harris last time in vegas and he put on a great show. almost as awesome as Ibiza for 8 days in 2011. makes me tired again just thinking about it. Armin van Buurin gave one of the best shows I have ever seen to this day. just a different experience. lots on energy and crowd interaction. also I have never seen a fight at an EDM concert, which I think is interesting.

OkiePoke
06-29-2015, 07:59 PM
I went to Lights All Night in 2012 and benny Benassi, porter robinson, and tiesto. that was awesome. saw calvin harris last time in vegas and he put on a great show. almost as awesome as Ibiza for 8 days in 2011. makes me tired again just thinking about it. Armin van Buurin gave one of the best shows I have ever seen to this day. just a different experience. lots on energy and crowd interaction. also I have never seen a fight at an EDM concert, which I think is interesting.

I went to LAN 2014. Armin played and I didn't think it was too spectacular. I really liked Seven Lions live. A lot different than what you hear on the radio. Where did you see Armin?

Richard at Remax
06-29-2015, 08:39 PM
I saw him at Space club in Ibiza back in 2011. He played for 3 hours straight and did a lot of his a state of trance stuff. It was incredible

Paseofreak
06-29-2015, 08:53 PM
#3 is interesting: 3,100 fans showed up on Friday. About 6,000 on Saturday.

So, is this end game for OKCFest, or will they learn from this? I can't imagine they didn't lose their *ss.

Urbanized
06-29-2015, 09:55 PM
I think you'll see more booking control handed over to someone else (possibly Scott Booker, who I think was brought in too late this time to make much of a difference). I think you'll also see more of a focus shift to alt/indie acts, who largely rule the festival circuit. In the case of this festival, playing it "safe" has absolutely been the unsafe play. Hopefully this will convince organizers to take some risks with lineup next time. It's not like there aren't tons of examples of successful festivals to mimic from a booking standpoint.

If taking a bath this year causes them to shake things up, it could actually be a good thing. If a bad/unimaginative lineup had been commercially successful it might have encouraged them to stay on the same path in the future.

ljbab728
06-29-2015, 10:57 PM
I was downtown on Saturday but not for the festival. There were definitely not any free music venues this year like there were last year.

Paseofreak
06-30-2015, 01:17 AM
I hope they will bring Grace back. I just couldn't pay the price to see one act here in OKC. I'll see her in several weeks at a free festival in Vermont. Glad there's an effort, but they need guidance in a terrible way!

gopokes88
06-30-2015, 08:42 AM
I think it's as simple as they didn't book anyone relevant. Hagar and hank Williams haven't been relevant in a very long time and rascal flats was cool ten years ago.
I'm not saying they need to get jay-z, Taylor swift or Katy Perry but they do need some newer names. This lineup felt lazy, rushed, and probably amateurish. If you look at the lineup and think eh I could probably just see them at lucky star eventually, don't book them.

Blake and Miranda should be their number one target next year.

Jeepnokc
06-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Blake and Miranda should be their number one target next year.

Like***** But there will still be people griping because it isn't the younger alternative stuff. Reminds me of my teenagers...if it isn't what I like...it's crap. No appreciation for other types of music. I think a great countryfest would be cool but have no problem with a great alternative fest either even though I wouldn't attend but I realize that this great city has many great citizens with different tastes in music.

OkieHornet
06-30-2015, 09:30 AM
i think the environment needs a change - a fenced-in asphalt parking lot in summer with no re-entry and no chairs allowed is off-putting to many.