View Full Version : Luther I-44 Interchange

LittleWhiteHouse
02-26-2015, 07:25 AM
I've been enjoying the access through Luther onto I-44 for quite sometime. It makes Brick Town and other points west in OKC and Edmond seem like a short drive. I was wondering if the long range plan is to make a loop south to I-40 from the Luther Interchange?

LakeEffect
02-26-2015, 08:20 AM
I've been enjoying the access through Luther onto I-44 for quite sometime. It makes Brick Town and other points west in OKC and Edmond seem like a short drive. I was wondering if the long range plan is to make a loop south to I-40 from the Luther Interchange?

I believe the idea has been bandied about, and I think a legislator even had a bill last year that would require a study, but it did not make it out of committee. I think you'll be hard pressed to ever see a new interstate-level roadway in Oklahoma again. The financial costs are extremely hard to bare - let alone the potential destruction of a lot of open land that many on the east side of OK County hold dear.

jompster
03-20-2015, 01:19 AM
The only interstate-grade highway we may see constructed from the ground up in Oklahoma in the foreseeable future is the Gilcrease Expressway in West Tulsa, and even that has been hitting roadblocks for decades. I can't see them building any new interstates/freeways in OKC. However, I think it would be nice if the Luther interchange was expanded to include EB I-44 on-access and WB I-44 off-access. It kind of looks like they are doing exactly that in addition to replacing the bridge over 44.