View Full Version : SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

Pages : [1] 2

Plutonic Panda
02-12-2015, 10:23 PM
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/press/2015/15-006_I-35_SH-9_East_Lindsey_St_project_in_Norman_beginning_in_M arch_public_invited_to_informational_meeting.pdf

bombermwc
02-13-2015, 07:28 AM
If they do this as well as the last one it's going to be a major improvement.

HangryHippo
02-13-2015, 08:50 AM
If they do this as well as the last one it's going to be a major improvement.

I agree, but I do wish they would have used concrete for I-35. I'm not sure why they chose asphalt, but it's already deteriorating.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 12:12 PM
I agree, but I do wish they would have used concrete for I-35. I'm not sure why they chose asphalt, but it's already deteriorating.i saw that. Very dumb move to use asphalt especially when you're pretty much redoing the entire highway.

hfry
02-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Where is it falling apart?? Not saying it isn't but I drive it everyday I haven't noticed so I'm generally curious? The only areas I've noticed it is rougher is the areas they have not done yet but everything from the main street area seems to be great.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 02:31 PM
The area I see is the part they did several years ago. If they had done that in concrete, it'd still be nice.

David
02-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Here are the last couple of releases from ODOT about this project:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/press/2014/14-052_december_commission_wrap-up.pdf
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/press/2014/14-051_Largest%20contract%20in%20ODOT%20history%20awa rded%20for%20I-35%20in%20Norman.pdf

Page three of the second one has the layout diagram, which I managed to extract out into a jpeg:

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10191

venture
02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Where is it falling apart?? Not saying it isn't but I drive it everyday I haven't noticed so I'm generally curious? The only areas I've noticed it is rougher is the areas they have not done yet but everything from the main street area seems to be great.

Not sure either. It has held up pretty well in the new areas.The only sections I've noticed anywhere are the one area north of Rock Creek where that tanker fire was and they had to repatch it. The other is where the more or less temp pavement was put in just north of Lindsey. That was just a quick resurfacing and I believe gets completely torn up soon.

venture
02-13-2015, 02:41 PM
The area I see is the part they did several years ago. If they had done that in concrete, it'd still be nice.

I'm assuming you are talking about the quick resurfacing they did from the bridge to Main. You realize they just took off a bit and resurfaced and called it good...right? That isn't staying.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 02:41 PM
I saw that. They're still rocking the cloverleafs. Smh.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about the quick resurfacing they did from the bridge to Main. You realize they just took off a bit and resurfaced and called it good...right? That isn't staying.i honestly don't know. As of late, I've been in Norman at nite, so I haven't been able to see the highway. Next time I'm there, I'll keep my eyes pealed.

jn1780
02-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Concrete last longer, but asphalt is smoother. I personally think asphalt is better if their willing to repave it sooner.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Hmmmm. I just like cement all around. I do love asphalt in subdivisions, but to me, I think cement looks better and I like driving on it better. Both of those are only opinions however. If I recall, I'd they engineer the road right, asphalt can last a long time. I think are parts of Route 66 in New Mexico that are still original and are in great shape.

Awhile back, I swear I remember reading something in Popular Science about a new type of composit cement they were testing that would be cheaper and last much longer than current cement. I'm not sure where that went.

I used to dream of highways and roads made of steel with Illumimated lane markers, but that would be incredibly expensive.

venture
02-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Which they kinda need to do with space constraints. Please continue to smack though...maybe some sense will get knocked in at some point.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Give me a break. With today's engineering, it could be done. I'll draw a quick sketch on Google tonight that a 3 year old could do. Btw, I've already looked at the images, I know it can be done and it doesn't take an engineer to have common sense.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 04:27 PM
I just double checked Google Maps. There is plenty of room. I'll prove it later tonight.

rte66man
02-13-2015, 07:48 PM

I read a rumor somewhere this was done so they could preserve the possibility of extending OK9 west across the river. That was many years ago though.

tfvc.org
02-13-2015, 08:43 PM
It looks like Lindsey has some Texas turnarounds. I am surprised they didn't do that on Main as well.

venture
02-13-2015, 09:07 PM
It looks like Lindsey has some Texas turnarounds. I am surprised they didn't do that on Main as well.

I think it is just a poorly done image, but this should be identical to the Main St. SPUI.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 09:15 PM
That's true. I forgot they were doing SPUI's. I am not a fan of those interchanges at all. But they sure do look cool.

venture
02-13-2015, 09:27 PM
That's true. I forgot they were doing SPUI's. I am not a fan of those interchanges at all. But they sure do look cool.

The are remarkably efficient. I love the one at Main now. That intersection is a massive improvement.

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2015, 02:22 AM
The are remarkably efficient. I love the one at Main now. That intersection is a massive improvement.I guess I haven't noticed a major difference, but I have read they are much more efficient. The main reason I don't like them is because they are friendly to service roads, but I know to some that is a plus.

venture
02-14-2015, 08:52 AM
I guess I haven't noticed a major difference, but I have read they are much more efficient. The main reason I don't like them is because they are friendly to service roads, but I know to some that is a plus.

Did you even drive much in Norman before the Main St one was started? As far as friendly to service roads...in which way? Neither the one in Norman or the other at I-40 and Morgan integrate the service roads at all.

jn1780
02-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Why? So drivers can get to the first stop light on highway 9 slightly faster. Or the few thousand residents traveling from this area to Riverwind or Texas won't have to slowdown slightly. This is a case where the clovers make perfect since.

It should be noted this interchange will have three additional bridges/overpasses to make sure none of the ramps interfere with each other.

David
02-14-2015, 12:39 PM
SPUIs are in no way convenient to service roads, at least any of the ones I've driven. I can't even quite imagine how you would integrate a two-way service road into one, a one-way seems like it could be done fairly easily if you accept not giving the service road drivers a pass through.

I'm really looking forward to the Lindsey interchange being converted into one. Plus, the way my daily commute works a traffic jam down there shouldn't slow me down at all, and may even make it better if enough other drivers end up bottled up down there. :p

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Did you even drive much in Norman before the Main St one was started? As far as friendly to service roads...in which way? Neither the one in Norman or the other at I-40 and Morgan integrate the service roads at all.i left out a very important word. Spuis are NOT friendly to service roads and that is why I don't like like them because I like service roads.

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Why? So drivers can get to the first stop light on highway 9 slightly faster. Or the few thousand residents traveling from this area to Riverwind or Texas won't have to slowdown slightly. This is a case where the clovers make perfect since.

It should be noted this interchange will have three additional bridges/overpasses to make sure none of the ramps interfere with each other.im sure 9 will eventually become a limited access freeway and it's called planning for the future. I can understand why that mentality isn't followed here.

hfry
02-14-2015, 01:52 PM
While I generally agree with you about flyovers instead of circles, circles are needed here. While the room might be there on a map, driving it I can tell you it wouldn't work right with how close the car dealership to the highway, the river is to the south, the hotel is to the east and most importantly how close 24th is on highway 9. With flyovers it would remove access when it is expanded to a larger highway. I know the cloverleafs make you go somewhat slower than a flyover but with this being a 9 intersection to i35 it needs the leafs with the bridges being built as so to not constrict traffic but instead evenly diced it. Without the dealership this I think they could have gotten it done but restricts all their ability to put the off ramp to the west unless you want them to put the exit on the left of the road.

tfvc.org
02-14-2015, 02:41 PM
SPUIs are common for major intersections in St Pete. They work really good at keeping traffic flowing. The streets that do have service roads are one way on either side like 240 does except for one little stretch where it is a two way on one side. I hope they build a SPUI on 104th and 44 before things start popping there. Especially with the new wally world going in. They really need to start putting in service roads along 44 and make them 1 way and kill that nice light that they put in at Portland and make Portland the service road from 89th to 104th. Or do something like what St Pete did at 66th and 19:

jn1780
02-14-2015, 08:16 PM
im sure 9 will eventually become a limited access freeway and it's called planning for the future. I can understand why that mentality isn't followed here.

This design is just fine for several decades into the future even if gas stays cheap and millions of people move to Norman. Of course, I know you freak out if a ramp has any kind of curve to iT, even though 95 percent of the things that make the traditional 4 leaf clover a bad designed has been removed.

They could design a bridge for demand 200 years into the future. The bridge still needs to be replaced after about 50 to 60 years.

Plutonic Panda
02-15-2015, 10:21 PM
While I generally agree with you about flyovers instead of circles, circles are needed here. While the room might be there on a map, driving it I can tell you it wouldn't work right with how close the car dealership to the highway, the river is to the south, the hotel is to the east and most importantly how close 24th is on highway 9. With flyovers it would remove access when it is expanded to a larger highway. I know the cloverleafs make you go somewhat slower than a flyover but with this being a 9 intersection to i35 it needs the leafs with the bridges being built as so to not constrict traffic but instead evenly diced it. Without the dealership this I think they could have gotten it done but restricts all their ability to put the off ramp to the west unless you want them to put the exit on the left of the road.Man I hear you. I'm in the severe minority here... I don't think one other person has jumped on board with me here, but I was just down there and I'm certain it could work. The flyover would just have to start before Lindsey and be a tall bridge for 1/2 mile. It would cost a bit more, but it would be really nice and serve the area for years. I assume the ultimate goal is to turn HGWY 9 into a highway, so maybe if they connect Kilpatrick Turnpike through Mustang and down to 9 they'll do a nice interchange if traffic counts are high enough.

BTW, Dallas is doing a full on cloverleaf for NDT and 635, so I know there can be good cloverleaf designs, I just prefer flyovers. As with the utility lines, it's more personal preference, but I do believe there are many perks to having them buried like I think flyovers have their perks.

Plutonic Panda
02-15-2015, 10:24 PM
This design is just fine for several decades into the future even if gas stays cheap and millions of people move to Norman. Of course, I know you freak out if a ramp has any kind of curve to iT, even though 95 percent of the things that make the traditional 4 leaf clover a bad designed has been removed.I don't think you're wrong. This is virtually a carbon copy of the conversation me and Venture had about the 240 I-35 interchange. BTW, I don't freak out if ramps have a curve. Even fly-overs curve.

They could design a bridge for demand 200 years into the future. The bridge still needs to be replaced after about 50 to 60 years.Yes, you are correct. That is a valid point. Hopefully future engineering will give better highways that are cheaper to building and construct while lasting longer.

I also want to say, this is a huge improvement over what is there, so I'm not going to bitch anymore about this interchange besides the fact I wish they were doing this in cement and I don't understand why ODOT does one project in cement and another in asphalt when they are the same kind of projects.

venture
02-16-2015, 11:38 AM
To be fair, the overpasses are all concrete. The widened Hwy 9 in East Norman is also all concrete.

The pavement on I-35 though itself is asphalt, but I really like the blend they choice. It drains VERY fast and doesn't cause any glare or ponding. That is something concrete doesn't do very well in most cases. Also the asphalt on the portions that have been completely redone - Main north to Indian Hills - has held up very well.

jn1780
02-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Man I hear you. I'm in the severe minority here... I don't think one other person has jumped on board with me here, but I was just down there and I'm certain it could work. The flyover would just have to start before Lindsey and be a tall bridge for 1/2 mile. It would cost a bit more, but it would be really nice and serve the area for years. I assume the ultimate goal is to turn HGWY 9 into a highway, so maybe if they connect Kilpatrick Turnpike through Mustang and down to 9 they'll do a nice interchange if traffic counts are high enough.

BTW, Dallas is doing a full on cloverleaf for NDT and 635, so I know there can be good cloverleaf designs, I just prefer flyovers. As with the utility lines, it's more personal preference, but I do believe there are many perks to having them buried like I think flyovers have their perks.

I honestly never see them extending highway 9 across the river at that spot. The turnpike authority will eventually want to have the H.E. Baily Spur actually link up with I-35, but its probably cheaper to acquire right of way north of Highway 9 near Riverwind Casio and have a nicer interchange near just north of the Casio and not deal with the complexities of having to deal with Lindsey St. being so close.

There is an actually an interchange project scheduled for this interchange in 2022. No idea what all it involves though.

macfoucin
02-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Oklahoma Department of Transportation - I-35/SH-9/Lindsey Street Project (http://www.ok.gov/odot/I-35_SH-9_Lindsey_Street_Project.html)

David
02-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Am I missing a color key somewhere in that image or on the ODOT page?

venture
02-18-2015, 12:49 PM

There isn't one.

jn1780
02-18-2015, 01:32 PM

Basically anything related to SH9 is first in the sequence and then they will move on to Lindsey Street.

FighttheGoodFight
02-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Well coming up soon I won't be taking Lindsey to work. Gotta go through those nice Main Street school zones!

tfvc.org
02-19-2015, 03:20 PM
I saw increased patrols along I-35 in Norman the last couple of days. Not a good time to speed through that intersection.

Tritone
02-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Yesterday (Sunday 22) there were signs up advising that road work for the SH9 and Lindsey exit(s) would be stepped up starting Monday, March 2. Circus is coming to town!

Plutonic Panda
02-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Work to begin on I-35 widening project in Norman | News OK (http://newsok.com/work-to-begin-on-i-35-widening-project-in-norman/article/5396878)

Plutonic Panda
02-26-2015, 11:14 PM
New Information On Oklahoma's Largest Road Project - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/28216124/new-information-on-oklahomas-largest-road-project)

jn1780
02-27-2015, 06:20 AM
New Information On Oklahoma's Largest Road Project - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/28216124/new-information-on-oklahomas-largest-road-project)

You have to laugh at the comment section on that article. A project that is replacing two old bridges and their complaining about roads and bridges not getting repaired. I'm sure this project has been on the books for at least 8 years if not longer.

David
02-27-2015, 07:01 AM
God, no kidding.

Waste of money...our roads and bridges are falling apart and they waste $ on this.

It's days like this I'm glad I don't have a Facebook account or I couldn't stop myself from getting into an argument with that guy.

Plutonic Panda
03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
ODOT: $71M Project Work Starts Monday, No Immediate Travel Impac - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/28228637/odot-71m-project-work-starts-monday-no-immediate-travel-impacts)

Plutonic Panda
03-02-2015, 06:15 PM
ODOT Project Reduces Speed Limit On I-35 At Lindsey St. In Norma - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/28241584/odot-project-reduces-speed-limit-on-i-35-at-lindsey-st-in-norman)

http://www.koco.com/news/71-million-odot-project-in-norman-expected-to-cause-traffic-headaches/31561108

http://kfor.com/2015/03/02/construction-starting-again-along-i-35-in-norman/

macfoucin
03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
With Lindsey Street exit off of I-35 NB being closed they picked a GREAT time to narrow Main Street to one lane around 24th street. Anyone know what's going on and how long the Main Street construction is supposed to last?

riflesforwatie
03-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Biggest choke point in this project will be fixed starting this Wednesday when the permanent WB SH-9 to NB I-35 on ramp opens. Not sure what time on Wednesday it will actually happen, but should solve issues upstream at 24th Ave SW and with merging traffic on NB I-35.

Plutonic Panda
03-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Can anyone get any pictures please?

riflesforwatie
03-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Happening tonight:

"The northbound I-35 on-ramp from westbound SH-9 East will be closed and northbound I-35 will be narrowed to one lane between SH-9 West (mm 106) and Lindsey St. (mm 108B) from 9 p.m. Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday for ramp work. Following this closure, drivers will be shifted to the new northbound I-35 on-ramp from SH-9 East."

Boomer3791
03-10-2017, 06:26 AM
I drove the new NB I35 ramp this AM. They still have it limited to only a single lane, so it's not going to do anything to alleviate the backup on WB Hwy. 9, unfortunately.

Pete
03-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Photo from https://twitter.com/ManhattanBuild :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7Dg64UU0AAlQ-C.jpg:large

FighttheGoodFight
03-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Ooooo it might be a bridge one day.

Went to Artisan's Pride today. Man Lindsey street is hurting. Hope this gets done faster than they say.

bombermwc
03-23-2017, 06:51 AM
It'll be great once its done...just like Main. But the next stop really needs to be Lindsey. Get that sucker up to 4 real lanes. That will help football traffic immensely.

HangryHippo
03-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Does anyone know if they're going to wait to open the Lindsey St. and I-35 ramps until the bridge deck is done? It seems like they could open the Lindsey St. to NB I-35 on-ramp once the intersection at Lindsey St. and 24th Ave SW. I don't know how far along work for the NB I-35 exit to Lindsey St. is.

FighttheGoodFight
03-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Does anyone know if they're going to wait to open the Lindsey St. and I-35 ramps until the bridge deck is done? It seems like they could open the Lindsey St. to NB I-35 on-ramp once the intersection at Lindsey St. and 24th Ave SW. I don't know how far along work for the NB I-35 exit to Lindsey St. is.

Looks like they are waiting. The bridge is supposed to be done here in the Spring. So I expect by May at the latest.

bombermwc
03-24-2017, 06:48 AM
I would bet not...just too close to the construction area. They still have a LOT to do too. Lights, paint, etc. i doubt anything will open until the whole thing is ready.

riflesforwatie
03-24-2017, 11:35 AM
I would bet not...just too close to the construction area. They still have a LOT to do too. Lights, paint, etc. i doubt anything will open until the whole thing is ready.

Yeah, the only reason the SH-9 NB onramp was opened without paint and everything being done was because of the safety issues with lack of merging space on NB I-35. With the whole Lindsey interchange closed (except for SB I-35 exit ramp), there's no safety reason to start opening stuff up that close to the ongoing construction, or with confusing people before the bridge is ready.

Plutonic Panda
05-13-2017, 01:44 PM
This project might come to a halt and the Lindsey St. bridge might be closed indefinitely.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5549038