View Full Version : Why don't you like hockey?

GoOKC1991
01-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Don't want to derail the Barons thread so I will make this specific thread.

Obviously, we are losing the Barons and that's heartbreaking for me and other Barons fans and of course, our attendance has been awful, lot of that has to do with a lack of marketing, but also, many Oklahomans (and people in general), do not like hockey and I just wonder your reasons?

To me, hockey is just a fantastic sport. Fast paced, hard hitting, fights (Not the biggest deal to me, but it is part of the game), the playoffs are unlike any other sport, it takes a team to win, not one superstar will win you a cup (Crosby and Ovechkin have won a combined ONE cup), I could add so many more.

I have heard people say it is boring, they cannot track the puck and there is not enough scoring, to me, those just not are not good enough reasons.

What makes shooting a ball through a hoop so much more exciting than hockey? Heck, how can you be an Energy/Soccer fan but not a Barons/Hockey fan?

Want to hear everyone's thought.

bradh
01-29-2015, 08:32 PM
I love hockey, and enjoy going to the Barons games. I just don't go enough I guess. If games were televised I would watch a good chunk of them.

GoOKC1991
01-29-2015, 08:36 PM
I love hockey, and enjoy going to the Barons games. I just don't go enough I guess. If games were televised I would watch a good chunk of them.

Good for you! At least you are a fan of the game and team!

bluedogok
01-29-2015, 08:50 PM
We go to a couple of Avalanche games a season and watch most of them. We went to one of the playoff games last year, my wife really got into it.

When I lived in OKC and Austin I had the NHL Center Ice package.

Laramie
01-30-2015, 03:52 AM
It's not a matter of people not liking hockey; it's a matter of preference.

Easy180
01-30-2015, 04:31 AM
Kind of indifferent when it comes to hockey which translated into me not attending any since the Blazers were around...I think once OKC got a taste of the big leagues the minor league teams went back on the shelf for many folks unfortunately.

BBatesokc
01-30-2015, 05:30 AM
Used to have Blazers season tickets (a very long time ago). I was single and it was an excuse to get out of the house, because back in that day there were not nearly as many things to do in downtown.

Personally, the sport it too slow paced for me (scoring wise) and often times I'd find the fans to be completely annoying. Had tickets for a couple of seasons and then never had a desire to ever return.

In reality, I felt the same about the former Redhawks (slow pace of the sport). However, the atmosphere and the fact the games are outside made it to where I always enjoyed going 1-3 times a season.

Lord Helmet
01-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Hockey is great. I love the NHL...but I'm not really into minor league sports I suppose.

OKCretro
01-30-2015, 09:41 AM
I am a huge hockey fan, got to several nhl games a year. Had season tickets to the barons for 1 year, but the atmosphere is horrible. I think they kept the same game soundtrack from the blazers. Everything seemed outdated at the myriad.

adaniel
01-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Hockey is very much a regional sport. Football, basketball, and baseball can be played anywhere. With hockey, you either are playing on some frozen pond (which simply won't happen this far south) or have to go to an enclosed ice rink, which aren't too common. Also, for a kid to get into hockey will cost a lot of money. Skates, gear, ice fees, etc. are not cheap. And if you don't make the connection as a kid you simply won't follow the sport as an adult. Other three sports, its a matter of buying a ball.

And while I don't think hockey is guided by some nefarious racist plot, it is a fact the NHL is the least diverse "big league" sport out there. People for better or worse won't follow something they can't relate to. Look at golf. Now that Tiger Woods is past his prime, golf viewership is way off and back to being a niche sport of the old, rich and white.

Personally for me, I find hockey to be a bit boring. I got free Dallas Stars tickets when I first moved down here and I nearly nodded off during the game. Around me, I noticed people playing on their phone, talking, and at least one person reading the newspaper. And the supposedly "exciting" thing about hockey, the fights, is an extreme turn off. What major professional sport is it okay to fight in the middle of the game? I have to listen to the NFL give PSA's about domestic violence, but the NHL beating the crap outta each other is perfectly okay? Makes no sense.

bradh
01-30-2015, 10:16 AM
I actually like the spirit and intent of fighting in hockey. It began as a way to self police the game. At the lower levels where it's done just because some guy gets butthurt because he got checked hard, yeah that's annoying. When a guy gets what's coming because he boarded your star player? That's proper hockey fighting.

As far as the race/golf thing, you may not have as many WATCH golf now, but the impact Tiger had on the number of minorities who took up golf is astounding.

GoOKC1991
01-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Hockey players are tough, grown men, they take hits, checks, etc for a living, them pounding each other is not really the same as a man beating on a helpless lady.

GoOKC1991
01-30-2015, 10:34 AM
The cost of the game is a fair argument and not everyone can afford to play it.

Paseofreak
01-30-2015, 11:11 AM
I really, really love hockey. Reportedly, I attended my first game at the age of two weeks. I attended every single home game for the Knoxville Cherokees (charter ECHL team), the Knoxville Speed and two years of the Knoxville Ice Bears. Hockey on any AHL ice is high quality. However, after attending maybe five Barons games I decided never to pay for that experience again. It was flat out the worst professional sporting presentation I've ever seen. The off ice activities were bush league, cheesy and well, just absent any excitement. There was never any sense of a crowd or that it was a privilege to be there, especially given some of the characters that did regularly attend. You know, the ones that cannot explain what offsides or icing means, but scream the loudest for the fights.

jerrywall
01-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Never could get into it. Had trouble tracking the puck when I tried to watch, and since then just never got into it. It's one of the only sports I don't follow.

Jersey Boss
01-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Never could get into it. Had trouble tracking the puck when I tried to watch, and since then just never got into it. It's one of the only sports I don't follow.

Is your reference on the puck in person or on television? I know many have said this about the television experience so that is why I ask. I have been a fan of the NY Rangers for better than 40 years and as far as post season play, no other sport comes close. I think one of the factors is the fact that home ice has less of a bearing of playing at home than it has in the other 3 major sports. As far as the racial diversity aspect, I think the fact that fewer than 50% and probably more like 25% of NHL rosters have Americans. This could also be a factor in the decline of baseball, though not the only one. It is hard for many to relate to a sport dominated by foreigners, and soccer has the same disadvantage.

jerrywall
01-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah, it's on television. I'm sure it's more enjoyable in person. I have trouble watching baseball on TV too, but since I grew up going to games I've been able to keep my interest up there. Never went to hockey growing up, and just never developed the interest.

Stew
01-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Because it's even more monotonous than soccer. Perhaps if I was a drinker I might see it different but I ain't so I don't.

Dave Cook
02-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Hockey in this part of the world is a real challenge. There are two ways of looking at the sport; from a player's perspective and from a business perspective.

I played hockey for years. As a result, every time I walk into the arena, I look at the game from a players perspective. How good is the ice? What type of style are they playing? Is it a third game in three nights? Etc.

Unfortunately, 95% of the fans that attend a game in Oklahoma City are looking at the game from a business perspective. How much is chuck-a-puck? Why did they get rid of the old announcer? What did the organization not throw a Christmas party for season ticket holders? Why is it so hard to get an autograph from players? How come I didn't get my same seat from last year? etc. etc.

From a hockey player's perspective, the business side of hockey operations is just noise. Who cares about the stinkin announcer? Who gives a flip about a Christmas party or bowling with a bunch of smelly hockey players? Who pays attention to the music?

Hockey in Canada doesn't have these issues. People look at the game with a better perspective. Unfortunately, hockey in this part of the world forces ownership groups to spoon-feed fans that need to be made special. And Pordigal apparently did a bad job of that (don't know. I was too busy watching hockey).

Achilleslastand
02-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I went to a fight once and a hockey game broke out.........

Dustin
02-01-2015, 08:04 PM
I cant follow the puck. I'm a healthy 23 year old with perfect vision, and I cant seem to concentrate on it.

Edgar
02-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Junior ran all the fans off. That's what happened to hockey in OKC. Nothing to do with the market, little to do with the Thunder.

Dave Cook
02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Junior ran all the fans off. That's what happened to hockey in OKC. Nothing to do with the market, little to do with the Thunder.

Which only proves that Okies suck (no offense). To allow your ill feelings for an owner to keep you from paying $10 to watch the number one team with the best offense in all of the 30-team AHL is as bush league as this city.

GoOKC1991
02-02-2015, 01:22 PM
I go to the games to watch the players play hockey, they have nothing to do with the upper management issues and deserve support.

skanaly
02-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Hockey is my favorite sport, barely above basketball. It's fast pace, intense, and exciting. I personally don't see how so many people aren't interested (but that's just my opinion)

I do think the farther north you go, the more popular hockey is. Look at Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver...huge hockey cities. I've been to a game in Toronto and in Chicago and I have to say the energy and participation with the crowd is unreal, almost equivalent to our very own Thunder games (those who have been know what I'm talking about). I've also been to a Dallas Stars game...and well, it was boring. Half the crowd was into it, and the atmosphere was nothing like the ones up north.

Since we're so far south, I think its just not something the average people like...

White Peacock
02-03-2015, 07:06 PM
I love hockey; it's the only sport I really care about enough to scream about. I used to go to as many games as possible, but then I had a kid, and now I'm on dad duty when I'm not at work, so my contribution to Barons ticket sales has been next to nothing these past couple years. I had hoped to take my daughter to Barons games when she got old enough to sit in one place for a few hours. Hopefully we get something worth going to and throwing support behind in the near future.

Zuplar
02-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Someone earlier said low-scoring and boring really weren't reasons, but those are most of my reasons for not really liking the sport. It's basically an ice version of soccer. I believe I read somewhere that fighting in Hockey is only done in American/Canadian hockey, that everywhere else it's really frowned on and subject to ejection. Not sure if that's true or not. I've always thought it was gimmicky. I think most of it is cultural preference.

Teo9969
02-05-2015, 10:38 AM
I feel like there's a decent amount more scoring in hockey than in soccer…obviously not high scoring, but that's what makes it exciting to me. A goal means something at any point in the game…baskets between the first 2 minutes and the last 4 minutes of an NBA game are only exciting if it's a bad ass play.

If you have a strong rooting interest, the tension you have when an offense is setup in front of the blue line is really quite remarkable. I too really like the fast paced aspect of hockey.

All that being said…I don't watch these days because I got into OU football and Thunder basketball and I only have so much desire to follow a sports team. I lost interest when Gretzky left and I got older. I played roller hockey when I was younger but no longer.

Speaking of…are there any roller hockey leagues or pick-up games going on in the metro these days?

Dave Cook
02-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Differences in hockey and soccer........shots on goal, contact and boards. I see the attempted analogy but it's not really there. Show me a soccer goalie that stops 35 shots on goal a game.

Yes, fighting is more common in North American hockey. You don't see it so much in Europe. More finesse overseas.

bluedogok
02-06-2015, 08:08 PM
The Olympic and European ice rinks are larger which open the games up more as well.

Stan Silliman
02-10-2015, 03:38 PM
I can appreciate the game without having to prefer it. The skating and the athleticism is unbelievable. The violence exceeds football. The serial killers produced from hockey make for better horror movies. The speed and continuity of the game will make your heart race. At the same I don't prefer it because the scoring and the possibilities of scoring are too infrequent. For one, the goal compared to goalie size unfairly favors the defense. A wide 300# goalie can park himself in the net and the pucks would never get in. The goalie should be required to move more side to side with wider nets. In that case saves mean something. It means the goalie has to be an athlete.

But as far as danger, I'd rank the game right up there with Rollerball.

Dubya61
02-12-2015, 02:53 PM
I can appreciate the game without having to prefer it. The skating and the athleticism is unbelievable. The violence exceeds football. The serial killers produced from hockey make for better horror movies. The speed and continuity of the game will make your heart race. At the same I don't prefer it because the scoring and the possibilities of scoring are too infrequent. For one, the goal compared to goalie size unfairly favors the defense. A wide 300# goalie can park himself in the net and the pucks would never get in. The goalie should be required to move more side to side with wider nets. In that case saves mean something. It means the goalie has to be an athlete.

But as far as danger, I'd rank the game right up there with Rollerball.

A larger goalie does not mean a better defense against scoring. The net is large enough that any goalie leaves 4 - 5 holes to score through. I can't see any justification to say that the violence exceeds football or that hockey produces serial killers, unless you're just trying out another punchline. It's an exhilarating game where anybody can score and yet teamwork pays the best reward over other sports.

okatty
02-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Like most anything this is a matter of personal preference. I love soccer (and football, basketball, golf and other sports), but I wouldn't walk across the street to see a hockey match if you paid me. Lots of people feel that way about soccer. I agree with Stan S that the skating is incredible, but not something I am going to sit around and watch for 2 hours.

OKCisOK4me
02-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Because its like soccer and croquet combined... BORING. If the fights were more common then I'd put a sweatshirt on and go.

Stan Silliman
02-13-2015, 07:18 AM
A larger goalie does not mean a better defense against scoring. The net is large enough that any goalie leaves 4 - 5 holes to score through. I can't see any justification to say that the violence exceeds football or that hockey produces serial killers, unless you're just trying out another punchline. It's an exhilarating game where anybody can score and yet teamwork pays the best reward over other sports.

NHL hockey goal is 6' wide x 4' tall which means a 6' tall x 350 # goalie can lay down in the net and his 30" wide body leaves only 18" at the top of the net to get in. Do you know how far away you'd have to be to get the puck up to 30"? The goalie sticks are bigger than they once were which further decreases the chances of scoring ... On Jason. And you wouldn't want to. You can't kill him and he'll haunt you every Halloween.

Dubya61
02-13-2015, 09:40 AM
NHL hockey goal is 6' wide x 4' tall which means a 6' tall x 350 # goalie can lay down in the net and his 30" wide body leaves only 18" at the top of the net to get in. Do you know how far away you'd have to be to get the puck up to 30"? The goalie sticks are bigger than they once were which further decreases the chances of scoring ... On Jason. And you wouldn't want to. You can't kill him and he'll haunt you every Halloween.

A good hockey player doesn't need to be very far away to get the puck off the ice.

Jersey Boss
02-13-2015, 11:18 AM
There is nothing to compare to a playoff game that becomes tied with a minute to go or less when the team that was down scores by pulling the goalie and putting another skater on the ice. The high drama that follows in sudden death overtime is outstanding. For those that do not think there is enough scoring, then a no hitter in baseball or a defensive struggle in football must bore them as well. Hockey players are very rarely involved in off ice problems and injuries keep fewer hockey players out then other sports. It's a great game.

bluedogok
02-15-2015, 09:07 PM
We went to the first Avs playoff game here last season, Stastny scored with 13.4 seconds left to tie it up and go to OT. He then scored the winning goal 7:27 into OT to win 5-4. My wife got into it after that experience. Unfortunately they lost in 7 games but most were OT or last second goal games.