View Full Version : Lake Thunderbird

Zuplar
12-30-2014, 11:28 AM
I looked and didn't see any thread currently on this lake so thought I'd start one.

I used to go to this lake quite a bit when I first got into boating. Easy to get to, decent size and close. Over the past couple years I have started going elsewhere because we would camp and let's be honest there are nicer cleaner lakes out there. But this year I anticipate I'm going to need to stay close and sure I'll be spending more time here. I've read recently that they are looking at making improvements to the water. Anyone know anything about this? I know they said the lake should be clearer for it's age and that they were working to identify the reason.

Also this might be a good thread in general to talk about other activities at the lake or anything Norman may be doing in the future. I've always thought more could be done with this lake, it is so close and could be a good one day trip destination.

rezman
12-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Maybe they're going to allow drilling under the lake. ........ just kidding.

My brother and I used to go skiing out there quite a bit. It was nice because no matter what direction the wind was out of, we could always find a spot where the water was smooth.

mkjeeves
12-31-2014, 07:57 AM
I've been on the lake a few times over the last year and plan to go more.

Found this on water quality:

Lake Thunderbird 30 years behind target dates set by Clean Water Act - News - The Moore American (http://www.mooreamerican.com/news/local_news/article_124b673a-e6e0-5067-b6af-cf4328f96df3.html?mode=jqm)

I did also read a few months ago where long term plans for Norman's water supply is to send treated wastewater into the lake. Shouldn't be a problem for lake users, just don't think about it. I'm glad they are moving away from reliance on OKC for water needs.

Norman's long-term water solution relies heavily on water reuse | News OK (http://newsok.com/normans-long-term-water-solution-relies-heavily-on-water-reuse/article/4983410)

Zuplar
12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
I've been on the lake a few times over the last year and plan to go more.

Found this on water quality:

Lake Thunderbird 30 years behind target dates set by Clean Water Act - News - The Moore American (http://www.mooreamerican.com/news/local_news/article_124b673a-e6e0-5067-b6af-cf4328f96df3.html?mode=jqm)

I did also read a few months ago where long term plans for Norman's water supply is to send treated wastewater into the lake. Shouldn't be a problem for lake users, just don't think about it. I'm glad they are moving away from reliance on OKC for water needs.

Norman's long-term water solution relies heavily on water reuse | News OK (http://newsok.com/normans-long-term-water-solution-relies-heavily-on-water-reuse/article/4983410)

I think that's the exact article I read before. Thanks for posting.

BG918
01-02-2015, 01:43 PM
The biggest problem is that it's downstream from the cities in the metro causing water quality issues. It's also in central Oklahoma so it's going to be muddy unlike the "nicer" eastern Oklahoma lakes that have rock bottoms.

I like the sandy beaches around Thunderbird and also the hiking/mountain bike trails. I'm surprised by how many people don't know about those. It's a great asset only 10 min from central Norman and 30-45 min from most parts of OKC.

Zuplar
01-02-2015, 02:03 PM
The biggest problem is that it's downstream from the cities in the metro causing water quality issues. It's also in central Oklahoma so it's going to be muddy unlike the "nicer" eastern Oklahoma lakes that have rock bottoms.

I like the sandy beaches around Thunderbird and also the hiking/mountain bike trails. I'm surprised by how many people don't know about those. It's a great asset only 10 min from central Norman and 30-45 min from most parts of OKC.

I agree. I really wish the water quality could be even slightly better. The sandy beaches do make it more likable, cause if it had rocky shores I probably wouldn't go.

BG918
01-02-2015, 04:20 PM
I agree. I really wish the water quality could be even slightly better. The sandy beaches do make it more likable, cause if it had rocky shores I probably wouldn't go.

That's the trade off between the central/southern and eastern Oklahoma lakes. Sandy beaches with muddy water vs. rocky beaches with clearer water.