View Full Version : Billy Sims BBQ

ljbab728
12-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Billy Sims BBQ is a frequent target for bashing here but it seems to be very successful anyway.

http://newsok.com/billy-sims-bbq-franchising-operation-accelerates/article/5376926

Franchising of Billy Sims BBQ picks up speed with 44 locations

Though the restaurant chain is celebrating its first decade, Jackson said the 11th year will be the one it shifts into high gear. Jackson and Sims plan to spread the word to potential franchisees that they’re looking to grow, and the goal is to add 20 to 30 new Billy Sims BBQ each year.

As for the chain as a whole, Jackson said they're eying the entire nation, even in areas where people don't remember Sims from his days at OU and the Detroit Lions.

Roger S
12-18-2014, 06:51 AM
I hear about the Dallas based Dickie's BBQ opening all across the nation regularly despite a well known Texas BBQ critic referring to them as a "Black mold on BBQ spreading from Texas.".

Unfortunately it doesn't take stellar food to be successful in the restaurant business..... Plenty of BBQ chains in Oklahoma City that get by serving mass produced food cooked in a gas oven..... Ok, a gas assisted smoker, but when you set it and forget it overnight it's basically baking in my opinion.

Even last night I was served a steak at Texas Roadkill that was ordered medium but was served well done, medium well, medium, medium rare, rare..... While I was disappointed in all but the part of the steak that was actually cooked medium. I was impressed that they have a grill chef that can cover the entire spectrum of doneness on one piece of meat.... Yet this place is always packed.... I don't get it.

Urbanized
12-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Hey, I'll promise there are a dozen cars in the drive-thru at the nearest McDonald's right now, too.

bchris02
12-18-2014, 06:59 AM
I wish Corky's BBQ out of Memphis would expand into Oklahoma. I think it's pretty good.

Urbanized
12-18-2014, 07:02 AM
I like Central better. Memphis BBQ is too rub-focused for me though.

TheTravellers
12-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Someone in my family said that Billy Sims must be good because of all the Cox trucks in the parking lot at lunch......... Correlation != Causation, :D

trousers
12-18-2014, 11:51 AM
I hear about the Dallas based Dickie's BBQ opening all across the nation regularly despite a well known Texas BBQ critic referring to them as a "Black mold on BBQ spreading from Texas.".

Dickie's has the distinction of being the worst BBQ I've had in OKC.

kevinpate
12-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Dickie's has the distinction of being the worst BBQ I've had in OKC.

No argument. When I went in Norman it was not gross, but it wasn't anything that made me want to plan a return trip.

ctchandler
12-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I wish Corky's BBQ out of Memphis would expand into Oklahoma. I think it's pretty good.

Bchris,
I have been to a lot of places and eaten some pretty good barbecue, and Corky's is one of my favorites.
C. T.

gopokes88
12-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't take stellar food to be successful in the restaurant business..... Plenty of BBQ chains in Oklahoma City that get by serving mass produced food cooked in a gas oven..... Ok, a gas assisted smoker, but when you set it and forget it overnight it's basically baking in my opinion.

Even last night I was served a steak at Texas Roadkill that was ordered medium but was served well done, medium well, medium, medium rare, rare..... While I was disappointed in all but the part of the steak that was actually cooked medium. I was impressed that they have a grill chef that can cover the entire spectrum of doneness on one piece of meat.... Yet this place is always packed.... I don't get it.

Where is good BBQ in OKC? Having lived here for a while now I haven't even been sorta impressed with anything. We're not even playing the same game compared to Austin, KC, Charlotte.

Soonerman
12-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Where is good BBQ in OKC? Having lived here for a while now I haven't even been sorta impressed with anything. We're not even playing the same game compared to Austin, KC, Charlotte.

I like Rays BBQ in Norman.

Jeepnokc
12-18-2014, 01:12 PM

http://www.okctalk.com/general-food-drink-topics/29564-best-bbq-okc-metro.html

Here is whole thread of opinions on best.

Roger S
12-18-2014, 01:12 PM

Well good is subjective.... I think good BBQ can be found in OKC. A lot has to do on timing though because of the Oklahoma City business model. Most places I frequent in OKC are good to meh depending on the time and day.

If you have hit any of the best in Austin.... Good is not nearly a strong enough adjective to describe the beef they serve down there. I had light shining down on me from heaven both times I ate at Snow's in Lexington Texas..... With that said.... There's plenty of the same mediocre BBQ you find in Oklahoma City in Texas. In fact I would say the majority of Texas Q-raunts are serving the same mediocre Q we have here but pretty much anything that makes the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list is exceptional Q.

I have made multiple 6 hour drives down there just to eat brisket and beef ribs. Could I name a single place in Oklahoma City I would drive 6 hours to eat BBQ at? Nope.... Honestly could not recommend a place I would drive an hour to eat Q in OKC. Most of what we have here is good if you're in the neighborhood but not good enough to go out of your way for.

Snowman
12-18-2014, 05:29 PM
... I have made multiple 6 hour drives down there just to eat brisket and beef ribs. Could I name a single place in Oklahoma City I would drive 6 hours to eat BBQ at? Nope.... Honestly could not recommend a place I would drive an hour to eat Q in OKC. Most of what we have here is good if you're in the neighborhood but not good enough to go out of your way for.

Good if you are in the neighborhood is pretty much my rating for Billy Sims, though there one thing for them that several others kinda fall down on is getting a decent balance of price, quality and service. They are pretty much aiming at Fast Casual and delivering. There are several other places around here that charge and style them-self as Casual Dinning but then serve worse quality at a higher price (with a tip expected on top of that) and in more than a few cases the service is not really adding much value.

catch22
12-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Tried Billy Simms over the weekend. Was pretty disappointed. Portions sucked, the food was dry. And the lack of sides. (French fries helloooo?). Sticking with earls as I like their hot links and Balogna, but not a huge fan of earls ribs.

SoonerVIC
12-22-2014, 07:16 AM
I like Rays BBQ in Norman.

Rays gets my vote too!

kevinpate
12-22-2014, 08:18 AM
I don't hear anyone local raving over Sim's, and I haven't tried it myself. For local norman/noble Q, I rotate among
Big Daddys Smokehouse in Noble and Ray's, Sooner Legends, Van's here in Norman.

It's been quite a while since I've gone elsewhere.

gopokes88
12-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Well good is subjective.... I think good BBQ can be found in OKC. A lot has to do on timing though because of the Oklahoma City business model. Most places I frequent in OKC are good to meh depending on the time and day.

If you have hit any of the best in Austin.... Good is not nearly a strong enough adjective to describe the beef they serve down there. I had light shining down on me from heaven both times I ate at Snow's in Lexington Texas..... With that said.... There's plenty of the same mediocre BBQ you find in Oklahoma City in Texas. In fact I would say the majority of Texas Q-raunts are serving the same mediocre Q we have here but pretty much anything that makes the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list is exceptional Q.

I have made multiple 6 hour drives down there just to eat brisket and beef ribs. Could I name a single place in Oklahoma City I would drive 6 hours to eat BBQ at? Nope.... Honestly could not recommend a place I would drive an hour to eat Q in OKC. Most of what we have here is good if you're in the neighborhood but not good enough to go out of your way for.

I waited four hours for franklins and it was worth every second. The salt lick was fantastic, the meat wasn't as good (although still great) but the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

Debzkidz
12-22-2014, 10:16 AM

I'd second that. I love Corky's.

Mr. Cotter
12-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Corky's pork is good. I still shudder to eat brisket north of the Red River.

I actually had Billy Sims last night, and its perfectly adequate when we want BBQ for dinner. I live within walking distance of the location on 23rd, and it's always clean, the staff is pleasant, and I get exactly what I expect.

Roger S
12-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Corky's pork is good. I still shudder to eat brisket north of the Red River.

Amen..... For that matter with the exception of a couple of joints in DFW I haven't found much north of Austin worth eating.

Wishbone
12-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Imo Bad Brads is the best bbq in the metro.

Roger S
12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Imo Bad Brads is the best bbq in the metro.

How many places have you been in the metro?

Stew
12-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Billy Simms is alright. It beats the heck out of a McRib and is head and shoulders better than Arby-Q. It's all about where you set the bar when entering the joint.

Roger S
12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Billy Simms is alright. It beats the heck out of a McRib and is head and shoulders better than Arby-Q. It's all about where you set the bar when entering the joint.

HAHA!!! You didn't set it very high comparing it to Fast Food Q. :wink:

I put Billy Sims as the second best chain option in OKC.

Urbanized
12-23-2014, 08:53 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
That surprises me. Which is the first?

My own opinion of Billy Sims is that the meat is usually OK but not great, but that the sides are a complete fail. I know that in theory BBQ is all about the meat, but IMO the BEST Q places usually also have dynamite sides. BS tastes to me like they might've been unloaded off of the U.S. Foods trailer ten minutes prior.

Mr. Cotter
12-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Earl's is better than B.S., so I'm guessing that's his No. 1 chain pick?

I usually get the mac and cheese, and potato salad at B.S. They're not amazing, but like I said up thread, I can walk to one, so it meets the "BBQ sounds good..." need.

Roger S
12-23-2014, 09:04 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
That surprises me. Which is the first?

When Swadley's gets it right I think they have the best Q of the chains....... I rank them in this order but the Top 3 are pretty much interchangable any given day.

Swadley's
Billy Sims
Van's Pig Stand
Earl's
Rib Crib
Dickey's

Martin
12-23-2014, 09:15 AM
i'm surprised you rank billy sim's so highly... i was thoroughly disappointed with that place. maybe it's just the location i went to (sw 119th & western) but all of the meat is precooked and they essentially just reheat everything on-site. -M

Roger S
12-23-2014, 09:26 AM
i'm surprised you rank billy sim's so highly... i was thoroughly disappointed with that place. maybe it's just the location i went to (sw 119th & western) but all of the meat is precooked and they essentially just reheat everything on-site. -M

Well that depends on how you define highly.... Chains rate at the very bottom of my list...... So that would put Billy Sims 5th from the bottom. :wink:

td25er
12-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Steve's Rib is by far my favorite in the metro.

GaryOKC6
12-23-2014, 12:26 PM

I agree, I dot rank Billy Simms very high on my list or the one above. It is average at best. Dickey's is pretty good but I like Leo's the best. As for Chains I like Earls, Swadleys or Rib Crib too.

Jeepnokc
12-23-2014, 12:31 PM
I agree, I dot rank Billy Simms very high on my list or the one above. It is average at best. Dickey's is pretty good but I like Leo's the best. As for Chains I like Earls, Swadleys or Rib Crib too.

I had some ribs from Rib Crib a couple of weeks ago and they were mushy and overcooked. As it was the day after their all you can eat rib day, I am guessing they cooked too many the day before.

However, last week we went to Iron Starr for our Xmas party and one of the choices was the St Louis Ribs. The ribs were excellent texture and taste. I like a little bolder rub but the taste was excellent.

TheTravellers
12-23-2014, 01:20 PM
I had some ribs from Rib Crib a couple of weeks ago and they were mushy and overcooked. As it was the day after their all you can eat rib day, I am guessing they cooked too many the day before.

However, last week we went to Iron Starr for our Xmas party and one of the choices was the St Louis Ribs. The ribs were excellent texture and taste. I like a little bolder rub but the taste was excellent.

Iron Starr is about the only BBQ place in OKC we frequent, shame they took the Gran Sport Porter off their tap list, went so well with the quail breast appetizers and pulled pork, but at least it's in cans now...

GaryOKC6
12-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Definitely love Iron Star. Great Ribs and pretty much everything else too.

Stew
12-23-2014, 02:36 PM
When Swadley's gets it right I think they have the best Q of the chains....... I rank them in this order but the Top 3 are pretty much interchangable any given day.

Swadley's
Billy Sims
Van's Pig Stand
Earl's
Rib Crib
Dickey's

Those bottom two are a tough call. Did you flip a coin?

A few months ago I would 100% agree with your bottom feeder rankings but the last time I ate ribs at Billy Simms I'd wager a dollar they microwaved ribs from the previous day. I've eaten enough nuked food to spot those irregular hot spots. So I'm gonna put BS down there with RC/Dickies.

Roger S
12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Those bottom two are a tough call. Did you flip a coin?

HAHA.... They could all be a coin toss!

Martin
07-14-2018, 11:38 AM
i saw a 'coming soon' sign at sw 119th & western for 'cornish smokehouse'... i assume that it's going in where billy sims was.

here's there facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cornishsmokehouse/

SoonerDave
07-14-2018, 12:00 PM
i saw a 'coming soon' sign at sw 119th & western for 'cornish smokehouse'... i assume that it's going in where billy sims was.

here's there facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cornishsmokehouse/

Can't be any worse than Billy Sims was at that same location. It. Was. Dreadful.

Martin
07-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Can't be any worse than Billy Sims was at that same location. It. Was. Dreadful.

yeah, billy sims is pretty much at the bottom of my barbecue list... we went to the location on 119th once… when the person behind the counter cut the brisket out of a vacuum sealed plastic bag, i knew what I was in for. never went back.

i can't seem to remember the name of the barbecue joint that it replaced... something like cowboy bbq?

zefferoni
07-16-2018, 06:52 AM
Cornish Smokehouse's food truck used to come to my office every once in a while. They weren't stand-out, but I enjoyed the food each time.

BridgeBurner
07-16-2018, 08:33 AM
I live right by the Billy Sims on 23rd but pretty much the only time I eat at one is when I am travelling for work.
Last time I was in there they notified me that Billy Sims was no longer serving the smoked chicken caesar salad (as he stood underneath a 3 ft tall hanging advertisement for said salad) which is they only thing I ever order from there. Not sure if that goes for all of their salads or just the ceasar.

Roger S
07-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Yes and where Smokeshack was prior to Sims.... I know Cornish was trying to open a north side location but that apparently fell through.

Have not tried their truck.... 2 BBQ places have failed there already... So I wish them luck.