View Full Version : OKC Boulevard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24

SEMIweather
10-02-2019, 08:39 PM
That's awesome for the Farmers Market District

turnpup
10-15-2019, 11:00 AM
Took it last night from I-40 eastbound back into downtown. It was very dark and desolate coming in between the highway and about Klein. If I wasn't so familiar with it, it would've been downright scary. Any idea when the lights will be lit?

Pete
10-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Took it last night from I-40 eastbound back into downtown. It was very dark and desolate coming in between the highway and about Klein. If I wasn't so familiar with it, it would've been downright scary. Any idea when the lights will be lit?

It's been that way for at least 4 years.

The story is that now that the city has taken over responsibility that will all be fixed.

pkirk
10-15-2019, 11:42 AM

The story is that now that the city has taken over responsibility that will all be fixed.

If I remember correctly, the copper wire was stolen out of the lights a couple weeks after that section first opened.

I almost hit someone crossing the street there the other night. Didn't see them until they I was even with them.

Pete
10-15-2019, 11:46 AM
It's incredibly dangerous and has been for quite a while.

turnpup
10-15-2019, 03:52 PM

Thanks. Guess I've never traveled it at night. That's just sad.

jn1780
10-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Oklahoma intersection relocation construction has started

shawnw
10-16-2019, 01:25 PM
I wonder how many millions in private investment this intersection relocation will spur.

jn1780
10-16-2019, 02:24 PM
I wonder how many millions in private investment this intersection relocation will spur.

We laugh, but it may make that parking to the west of the UHaul slightly more valuable.

Pete
10-30-2019, 05:50 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul102719a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul102719b.jpg

dwellsokc
10-30-2019, 06:19 AM
Other than winning the award for "Best Civic Snot," what was U-Haul's reason for denying the logical access route?

Pete
10-30-2019, 06:25 AM
Other than winning the award for "Best Civic Snot," what was U-Haul's reason for denying the logical access route?

They wanted to be paid to move their entrance to the west side of the building and I believe it would have triggered other expensive building code upgrades.

The city didn't want to pay what they wanted, took them to court for eminent domain, and once they realized that the independent commissioners were likely to stipulate a price close to what Uhaul wanted, the city dropped the suit and are now doing this workaround.

5alive
10-30-2019, 07:21 AM
Such a waste...

jccouger
10-30-2019, 08:01 AM
The entire blvd is a joke, this is just the cherry on top.

Anonymous.
10-30-2019, 08:04 AM
So are they going to re-curb the Oklahoma Ave intersection now? Or do we get nice crusty concrete barriers to sit idle along there for the next decade?

David
10-30-2019, 08:12 AM
What a ridiculous waste of money. Just wait on the U-Haul situation to change and then push the street through straight. The current status quo is fine.

Instead we're going to lock ourselves into a intersection in the wrong place, probably for good.

HangryHippo
10-30-2019, 08:47 AM
What a ridiculous waste of money. Just wait on the U-Haul situation to change and then push the street through straight. The current status quo is fine.

Instead we're going to lock ourselves into a intersection in the wrong place, probably for good.
Just a classic example of this city's cheapness and locking themselves into ****ty positions.

jccouger
10-30-2019, 08:55 AM
So are they going to re-curb the Oklahoma Ave intersection now? Or do we get nice crusty concrete barriers to sit idle along there for the next decade?

I honestly hope they just put up concrete barriers so eventually they can use this intersection. I know it will look bad, but at least it won't be a waste of money down the road if Uhaul ever decides to give way.

kukblue1
10-30-2019, 09:19 AM
whats wrong with it is now? How many people are actually using it?

Pete
10-30-2019, 09:24 AM
The worst thing about this is moving the intersection to the far west end of the lumberyard / coop site on the south side of the boulevard.

It's the only way in and out of there and I can already hear them, "We need public incentives due to bad ingress and egress".

Anonymous.
10-30-2019, 09:32 AM
whats wrong with it is now? How many people are actually using it?

Hardly anyone is using this entire east side of the Boulevard, let alone this Bricktown intersection.

BoulderSooner
10-30-2019, 10:38 AM
The worst thing about this is moving the intersection to the far west end of the lumberyard / coop site on the south side of the boulevard.

It's the only way in and out of there and I can already hear them, "We need public incentives due to bad ingress and egress".

this really is the worst possible outcome

OkiePoke
10-31-2019, 09:26 AM
Any word on when the lights will be working on the West end?

Pete
10-31-2019, 01:34 PM
There was a massive wreck at the Klein intersection just after lunch.

Front of one car was completely torn off, firetruck on scene, the entire boulevard was closed.

I simply can't get my mind around how public officials allow crazy dangerous conditions like these.

Ross MacLochness
10-31-2019, 01:50 PM
because they either don't care and/or are so fully entrenched in the bureaucracy that they are totally powerless or unwilling to speak up. Where's @codylusnia when you need him haha. Twitter outrage seems to be one of the more effective tactics as much as I hate it.

jerrywall
10-31-2019, 01:52 PM

Front of one card was completely torn off, firetruck on scene, the entire boulevard was closed.

I simply can't my mind around how public officials allow crazy dangerous conditions like these.

The intersections might get safer, if the road was actually designed like a 25-35 MPH road. Remove a lane (put in protected bike lanes) on both sides, narrow the lanes, and better rework some of the intersections. Right now the whole road drives like a highway trying to be a city road (or vice versa).

CloudDeckMedia
10-31-2019, 01:53 PM

Front of one car was completely torn off, firetruck on scene, the entire boulevard was closed.

I simply can't get my mind around how public officials allow crazy dangerous conditions like these.

Has ODOT transferred authority to the City of OKC yet?

Roger S
10-31-2019, 02:34 PM

I saw that wreck too..... My guess would be that speeding had more to do with the severity, and cause, of that wreck than public officials ignoring conditions. More often than not I have people flying by me like I'm sitting still through there when I'm doing the speed limit.

Roger S
10-31-2019, 02:39 PM
The intersections might get safer, if the road was actually designed like a 25-35 MPH road. Remove a lane (put in protected bike lanes) on both sides, narrow the lanes, and better rework some of the intersections. Right now the whole road drives like a highway trying to be a city road (or vice versa).

Yeah... That worked pretty well on Walker... Still see people driving 10+ MPH over the speed limit with the bike lanes and ongoing construction...... Maybe time to reconsider consequences for traffic violations instead of spending a lot of money to reconfigure roads.

LakeEffect
10-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Yeah... That worked pretty well on Walker... Still see people driving 10+ MPH over the speed limit with the bike lanes and ongoing construction...... Maybe time to reconsider consequences for traffic violations instead of spending a lot of money to reconfigure roads.

I don't think that's it either. The Walker improvements are just paint... need more physical constraints (curbs, bump outs, barriers, etc.) that mentally force people to go slower. A line just doesn't do much, unfortunately.

jn1780
10-31-2019, 02:46 PM
What's crazy about Klein, is that it fell through the cracks or something after the redesign of the section between Klein and Walker. No one thought "Hey!, what should happen at this intersection, should we block it off or put a traffic signal here?" I guess they thought people were going to stop using it, even though its the only way to access Blvd from that part of town.

Now the city is trying to fast track a traffic signal there.

jerrywall
10-31-2019, 02:46 PM

Why not both? No solution is 100%, but good road design is important too, and roads should be designed/configured to the speed that cars are expected to drive.

Roger S
10-31-2019, 03:40 PM
Why not both? No solution is 100%, but good road design is important too, and roads should be designed/configured to the speed that cars are expected to drive.

Only too many drivers these days don't take design/configuration into account. Speed limits and stop lights/signs are too often considered inconveniences to drivers. I've almost been mowed down in a crosswalk a couple of times crossing Western between 36th and 50th by people doing well above 25 MPH through there.

Klein would benefit from stop lights but I'd wager most of the wrecks that have happened there could have been avoided if drivers were responsible enough to obey the traffic laws too.

shawnw
11-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Has ODOT transferred authority to the City of OKC yet?

At the OK Bike Summit on 10/26 there was a speaker from ODOT and I asked about the boulevard. She said something to the effect of "that's a city street now so I can't speak to that". I pushed back about that and she was like there was a ceremony, etc etc etc, not our road.

Jeepnokc
11-01-2019, 10:09 AM
I don't understand the no left turn at Reno when going eastbound. I see people either ignoring it daily or driving past it and then having to turn back north on the smaller streets to access it.

rezman
11-01-2019, 11:25 AM

The U-Haul situation is done and over with. They're not going anywhere.

David
11-01-2019, 12:17 PM
The U-Haul situation is done and over with. They're not going anywhere.

Anything can change with enough time.

Quicker
11-01-2019, 10:28 PM
Anything can change with enough time.

No, It’s all about $$$$$$$... it’s a highly visible, great location that they bought dirt cheap...there’s no reason that time would have anything to do with it...

The longer they hang onto it, the more it’s going to be worth

SEMIweather
11-03-2019, 07:30 AM
Yeah I'd be surprised to see U-Haul leaving that spot anytime soon. I just don't think this change in the intersection is an improvement in any way. Certainly not enough to justify spending $1.4 million to relocate it lol

5alive
11-04-2019, 06:59 AM
This ^^^

David
11-04-2019, 09:27 AM
No, It’s all about $$$$$$$... it’s a highly visible, great location that they bought dirt cheap...there’s no reason that time would have anything to do with it...

The longer they hang onto it, the more it’s going to be worth

Which won't mean anything outside of property tax increases unless they one day pull the trigger and sell.

Pete
12-04-2019, 08:13 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul120319a.jpg

jerrywall
12-04-2019, 09:12 AM
At this point, it's not much difference as a driver to enter Bricktown directly from the Blvd vs taking a quick right on Shields and then another quick right. Not exactly difficult to get into Bricktown from the Blvd.

HangryHippo
12-04-2019, 09:16 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul120319a.jpgHow stupid.

Jeepnokc
12-04-2019, 11:01 AM
How stupid.

I'm from the guberment and I'm here to help you! :)

Pete
12-04-2019, 11:04 AM
They were obligated to spend the money because of the previous screw up with Uhaul, so here's what you get.

Same thing with the re-working of the Bricktown Plaza to nowhere. They didn't get the necessary ROW but would lose the funds if not spent.

Ross MacLochness
12-04-2019, 12:13 PM
^^^the city didn't finish the canal plaza on time so they still didn't get all the funds and had to use GF money to finish

Pete
12-04-2019, 12:38 PM
^^^the city didn't finish the canal plaza on time so they still didn't get all the funds and had to use GF money to finish

Fantastic.

How much from the general fund?

Ross MacLochness
12-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Not sure. It was on the city council agenda a couple months back. Take my comment with a grain of salt... I can't remember all the details. It may have just been an ask for cash due to the project being more expensive. I don know however that the project went on way past the TIGER grant deadline.

Pete
12-11-2019, 07:14 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul120819a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/okcboulevard120819a.jpg

PaddyShack
12-11-2019, 07:39 AM
I wish U-Haul would at least take of the metal siding and rejuvenate the original brick if they are going to stay in place

TheTravellers
12-11-2019, 08:42 AM
I wish U-Haul would at least take of the metal siding and rejuvenate the original brick if they are going to stay in place

I was just going to post "Wow, that building is waaaaaaaaaaaaay uglier than I remember". :)

David
12-11-2019, 08:53 AM
I remember a few years back they when they had a fire it exposed the original facing underneath the brick for a few days during repairs, and it looked nice. But then of course they put the siding back up.

jn1780
12-11-2019, 09:14 AM
I was just going to post "Wow, that building is waaaaaaaaaaaaay uglier than I remember". :)

They could at least fix their signage on the south side.

catch22
12-11-2019, 09:33 AM
I think the landscaping on the western end of the Blvd. looks good. The grass was dead of course, so I bet it will look great in the spring.

SEMIweather
12-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Pete, what is going in the holes in the second picture you posted? I've been meaning to ask, as I've driven down the western portion of the boulevard a few times and was wondering what was up with that. I'm assuming some sort of landscaping once the weather turns warmer?

shawnw
12-11-2019, 07:28 PM
would it not be trees like other P180 style streetscapes?

Pete
12-12-2019, 06:20 AM
Pete, what is going in the holes in the second picture you posted? I've been meaning to ask, as I've driven down the western portion of the boulevard a few times and was wondering what was up with that. I'm assuming some sort of landscaping once the weather turns warmer?

Yes, trees.

Pete
12-23-2019, 07:02 AM
https://i.imgur.com/5bF4ntN.jpg

kukblue1
12-23-2019, 09:22 AM
SMH how hard was it for drivers to go around the building and how many accidents were ever reported there?