View Full Version : OKC Boulevard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

HOT ROD
09-02-2019, 01:16 PM
when I think of grand opening I think of the project as finished; maybe a few very minor cleanup still needed. For example, Devon Tower or BOKPP or even the I-235/44 interchange - they weren't/wont be declared finished until the construction was complete AND the lights were on.

So why did ODOT let this contractor get away with the boulevard not even fully lit? It's not finished unless you can drive it as intended, just like the skyscraper is not finished unless you can move in. ..

Was there any collusion here? Pete.

Rover
09-02-2019, 04:18 PM
when I think of grand opening I think of the project as finished; maybe a few very minor cleanup still needed. For example, Devon Tower or BOKPP or even the I-235/44 interchange - they weren't/wont be declared finished until the construction was complete AND the lights were on.

So why did ODOT let this contractor get away with the boulevard not even fully lit? It's not finished unless you can drive it as intended, just like the skyscraper is not finished unless you can move in. ..

Was there any collusion here? Pete.

Was the contractor for the paving also responsible as prime or general in charge of landscaping, lighting, signage, etc? Was ODOT the general?

HOT ROD
09-03-2019, 11:56 AM
the road shouldn't have been Opened (IMO) without all of the critical elements completed.

I'd consider Paving, Lighting, Signage, and painting to be critical elements with the last 4 elements apparently missing or incomplete. It could open without landscaping but doing so gives one a sou taste in what is supposed to be a grand element of the city. Should have waited on the Grand Opening celebration until more (or all) elements were completed.

jn1780
09-03-2019, 12:25 PM
I think Reno and Walker signals should have at least been functioning before considered "complete". I can understand the currently blinking lights to not be on because its actually easier for construction crews for these to remain blinking for the time being.

OKC Guy
09-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Oklahoma Department of Transportation
@OKDOT
OKC: A new traffic signal is operational this evening at Oklahoma City Boulevard and Reno Ave. Motorists are advised to use caution in the area as traffic adjusts to the changing patterns at this intersection.
5:23 PM · Sep 6, 2019·Hootsuite Inc.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OKDOT/status/1170100280840638464

hoya
09-06-2019, 05:39 PM
I drove through that area at lunch today, and it's like everyone has been chugging stupid juice. This was at Western and Reno. It's a simple 4 way stop, and yet one moron blew through it without even slowing down, and at least 4 other people couldn't figure out who had the right of way.

I seriously need a flamethrower on the front of my truck.

Roger S
09-09-2019, 07:49 AM
I drove through that area at lunch today, and it's like everyone has been chugging stupid juice. This was at Western and Reno. It's a simple 4 way stop, and yet one moron blew through it without even slowing down, and at least 4 other people couldn't figure out who had the right of way.

Ahhhhh... The mysteries of an All Way Stop.... It's mind boggling to so many drivers.

Pete
09-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Most the lights are now installed but all but the one at Reno are blinking.

I can't even imagine that 4-way stop at Reno and Western during rush hour.

OKC Guy
09-09-2019, 12:18 PM
Most the lights are now installed but all but the one at Reno are blinking.

I can't even imagine that 4-way stop at Reno and Western during rush hour.

Lol, you got the rush right “rushin roullette”

GoGators
09-09-2019, 04:03 PM
When do the monthly usage rate of OKC Boulevard start being released? 120 million dollars of tax payer money used and i don't see hardly anyone using it. It seems like using buses could have done the same job as OKC boulevard and costs 97% less. Also, you cant easily change the route of a boulevard. Plus the future upkeep of the boulevard could be in the millions of dollars. Finally, it is free to drive on, so it's probably not paying for itself.

Usage will probably pick up once the CC and hotel are complete, but will mostly be used by tourists.

Bellaboo
09-09-2019, 04:11 PM
When do the monthly usage rate of OKC Boulevard start being released? 120 million dollars of tax payer money used and i don't see hardly anyone using it. It seems like using buses could have done the same job as OKC boulevard and costs 97% less. Also, you cant easily change the route of a boulevard. Plus the future upkeep of the boulevard could be in the millions of dollars. Finally, it is free to drive on, so it's probably not paying for itself.

Usage will probably pick up once the CC and hotel are complete, but will mostly be used by tourists.

On my commute to work at around 6:45 am, there is actually quite a few vehicles using it.

Rover
09-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Check it on event nights and once everyone knows it’s open

Bellaboo
09-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Check it on event nights and once everyone knows it’s open

Last year, even with limited access, before and especially after Thunder games it's bumper to bumper heading West.

Plutonic Panda
09-09-2019, 05:13 PM
On my commute to work at around 6:45 am, there is actually quite a few vehicles using it.
Don't let facts get in the way...

catch22
09-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Pretty sure he was poking fun at the people saying the streetcar isn’t successful.

Plutonic Panda
09-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Pretty sure he was poking fun at the people saying the streetcar isn’t successful.
Ah my bad. I missed the joke.

GoGators
09-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Yes it was sarcasm using the streetcar arguments. I thought me saying that the boulevard is “probably” not paying for itself made it obvious. If I was making a serious argument I would have used “definitely” not paying for itself lol.

jn1780
09-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Sarcasm or not, It remains to be seen if Boulevard gets anywhere near the original daily estimate ODOT released several years ago.

betts
09-10-2019, 07:41 AM

I see that, as predicted, the overpasses are giving shelter to the homeless. So thoughtful of ODOT.

Pete
09-10-2019, 08:03 AM
^

Yes, the boulevard overpass over Western had a big camp set up on Sunday.

As far as traffic numbers, even if they do come up what we'll never know is how many of those people would have just taken Reno or one of the many other east/west streets in the immediate area.

Bullbear
09-10-2019, 08:05 AM
im assuming they haven't finished the landscaping.. it was looking promising but is now an overgrown mess

Pete
09-10-2019, 08:07 AM
im assuming they haven't finished the landscaping.. it was looking promising but is now an overgrown mess

They still have to do the eastern and central sections.

Bullbear
09-10-2019, 08:08 AM
the west portion that they did is the overgrown part.. but perhaps they have only done the rocks and trees and plantings and no sod so those areas are overgrown

jn1780
09-10-2019, 08:18 AM
the west portion that they did is the overgrown part.. but perhaps they have only done the rocks and trees and plantings and no sod so those areas are overgrown

It's a case where the whole project is not done so it hasn't been turned over to the city for weekly upkeep.

Plutonic Panda
09-10-2019, 11:24 AM
I see that, as predicted, the overpasses are giving shelter to the homeless. So thoughtful of ODOT.
I am not sure I get the point of statements like these. Should we not build any overpasses out of fear the area beneath will be occupied by homeless?

kevin lee
09-11-2019, 04:08 PM
But some of us are voting no to this MAPS proposal because it didn't include an aquarium, even though it would help address the city's homeless problem. I'm confused.

HOT ROD
09-11-2019, 05:13 PM
vote no and force a line item vote. I bet all of the homeless, liberal other projects will pass on their own and be paid within a year or two.

Better yet, vote no and hold the city accountable for being transparent with the project selection process - something they were NOT since these projects were already picked in April behind closed doors. Aquarium and Airport beautification hub were not picked but I bet they would be the most popular projects (if not in city history) if they were line item individually voted for. ....

voting NO for MAPS IV does not mean a person doesn't support civic projects like homeless/etc or like MAPS; instead - it could mean the person doesn't like certain projects that always get thrown in (fairgrounds), or a person doesn't like the $100M in endowments that will be run by ???, or a person thinks transit should get more.

Please do not label people voting no to this MAPS IV as not supporting homeless, domestic and youth victims, animals, sidewalks/bike lanes/lighting, alternative incarceration, etc. It can be mutually exclusive. As I said, these are well liked and will likely pass on their own as would the aquarium and airport hub.

kevin lee
09-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Surely you're joking. 3/4 of these projects would never have enough votes to pass individually. Remember, these are ADDITIONAL taxes that we're paying.
Millennials won't pass the senior centers. People without vision would never pass the innovation link. Hardcore car users will nix anything transit. The state fair arena would get laughed at. How much for the beautification proposal?! I'm not even gonna get started with the heritage and homeless proposals (RIP Clara Luper).
But yea the aquarium and soccer stadium would pass. Problem is, you would still have to drive down pothole filled roads with bad lighting while trying to dodge the homeless, asking for money on your way to the stadium.

Rover
09-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Surely you're joking. 3/4 of these projects would never have enough votes to pass individually. Remember, these are ADDITIONAL taxes that we're paying.
Millennials won't pass the senior centers. People without vision would never pass the innovation link. Hardcore car users will nix anything transit. The state fair arena would get laughed at. How much for the beautification proposal?! I'm not even gonna get started with the heritage and homeless proposals (RIP Clara Luper).
But yea the aquarium and soccer stadium would pass. Problem is, you would still have to drive down pothole filled roads with bad lighting while trying to dodge the homeless, asking for money on your way to the stadium.

Do you know where we can find some polling or other objective data that supports or refutes your claims as to what is popular or not? How do we know what is popular or not?

kevin lee
09-12-2019, 07:35 AM
What's popular is irrelevant. What's relevant is when the proposals are individualized, the less glamorous ones will fall by the wayside even though the might be the most needed.
But if you need data just dig through both threads. You'll see plenty posts saying how they'll vote no if it doesn't include an aquarium. I have yet to see anyone say the same about one of the less glamorous items. Don't forget, the last MAPS vote didn't pass with flying colors.

BoulderSooner
09-12-2019, 10:53 AM
What's popular is irrelevant. What's relevant is when the proposals are individualized, the less glamorous ones will fall by the wayside even though the might be the most needed.
But if you need data just dig through both threads. You'll see plenty posts saying how they'll vote no if it doesn't include an aquarium. I have yet to see anyone say the same about one of the less glamorous items. Don't forget, the last MAPS vote didn't pass with flying colors.

the process of this maps is enough alone for a no vote

combine that with what is proposed and it becomes an easy no vote

Rover
09-12-2019, 11:03 AM
You seem to think that those that post on here actually are factually representative of how all the voters think. Surely you understand how inaccurate that assumption is.

pkirk
09-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Fun to watch everyone heading east on the Boulevard ignore the 'no left turn' signs to turn left on Reno. I see at least one a day on my way in to the office. The design they implemented at this intersection clearly ignores how traffic wants/needs to flow through the area. In fact, I don't think you can turn left from any direction at that intersection.

I've also twice seen cars get trapped in the center median on Reno when the lights turned red. I can easily see this being a hotbed for accidents as traffic picks up there.

Pete
09-17-2019, 11:41 AM
^

Why on earth did they decide not to have a left turn lane onto Reno?

Makes zero sense.

jccouger
09-18-2019, 07:48 AM
^

Why on earth did they decide not to have a left turn lane onto Reno?

Makes zero sense.

Is this permanent? If so, that is absolutely mind blowing as I figured the Reno intersection was where 90%+ of Boulevard east bound traffic would turn.

Pete
09-18-2019, 07:49 AM
Yes, it's permanent.

Signal is already up.

jccouger
09-18-2019, 07:51 AM
yes, it's permanent.

Signal is already up.

wooooooow!

OKDATAGUY
09-18-2019, 11:26 AM
The "No Left Turn" at east bound Boulevard is not logical! Why would they want to avoid that? If I go a fraction further I can turn left onto Shartel crossing Reno which complicates getting to Shartel.

pkirk
09-18-2019, 12:13 PM
The person in front of me this morning decided to make the left turn oblivious to the fact there was oncoming traffic that also had a green light. And the two people behind me made a left as though they had the right of way and forced another oncoming car stop to avoid an accident. Thankfully, just lots of honking, but sooner rather than later, the accidents will start.

soonerguru
09-19-2019, 08:52 PM
We used the boulevard tonight after leaving Harkins. It was very convenient.

That being said, I'm stupefied why there are literally none of the streetlights on, including the area that has been open to vehicles
for several years now. Not one light. Pitch black exiting our downtown.

I don't understand what is wrong with this city and this perplexing lack of concern for so many streetlights being out. Third world cities have better detail orientation.

What the AF is going on?

BG918
09-19-2019, 09:19 PM
^ Already copper thief victims? It’s funny I never notice scores of street lights out in Denver.

TheTravellers
09-20-2019, 08:53 AM
^^^ I don't think streetlights get turned on until a project by ODOT is officially finished, and this one isn't yet, despite the "opening".

Ross MacLochness
09-20-2019, 08:54 AM
What a world we live in...

Pete
09-20-2019, 09:14 AM
We used the boulevard tonight after leaving Harkins. It was very convenient.

That being said, I'm stupefied why there are literally none of the streetlights on, including the area that has been open to vehicles
for several years now. Not one light. Pitch black exiting our downtown.

That eastbound exit from I-40 to the boulevard has been completely dark for years and is incredibly dangerous.

Traffic comes flying off the interstate on a wide exit but then curves sharply to the left; you can see tons of car scrape marks on the retaining walls.

jn1780
09-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Why do they even bother installing lights if there is no effort to keep them on? Getting every light on the Blvd should be a priority and should not be considered done until this happens.

HOT ROD
09-20-2019, 04:11 PM
^^^ I don't think streetlights get turned on until a project by ODOT is officially finished, and this one isn't yet, despite the "opening".

never should have been opened then!

kukblue1
09-20-2019, 05:36 PM
https://freepressokc.com/oklahoma-city-boulevard-continues-to-rack-up-collision-numbers/

TheTravellers
09-20-2019, 05:58 PM
never should have been opened then!

Agreed, and the rationale offered for opening before finishing is ridiculous (both Gov and Mayor are sooooooooooooooo busy that was the only hour they both had free out of their schedule for the next forever amount of days).

soonerguru
09-21-2019, 12:19 AM
That eastbound exit from I-40 to the boulevard has been completely dark for years and is incredibly dangerous.

Traffic comes flying off the interstate on a wide exit but then curves sharply to the left; you can see tons of car scrape marks on the retaining walls.

What is it with the mentality of this city? This is not only unsafe, it is also embarrassing. For a place that seems so hung up on creating impressions of being big league, something as simple as streetlights out -- on highways, high profile intersections, and throughout recently renovated neighborhoods -- is swept under the rug. Phony excuses. Finger pointing. Is it OG&E? The city? ODOT? This is just unacceptable mediocrity.

There are sections of 235, going between the capitol and downtown, that are out for over a year or more. It's just ridiculous.

5alive
09-21-2019, 07:17 AM
I completely agree!!!

Pete
09-21-2019, 08:13 AM
For decades, the city has never been proactive about this sort of thing.

Same with weeds and trash and street maintenance... They just wait until people complain and then maybe do something.

LakeEffect
09-21-2019, 08:50 AM
For decades, the city has never been proactive about this sort of thing.

Same with weeds and trash and street maintenance... They just wait until people complain and then maybe do something.

It's a local government management political philosophy - people (theoretically) want low taxes, therefor the City must make do with a more reactive service provision model. Until political leaders test this philosophy by floating increases in taxes and higher service levels in return, we won't know if that's really what people are willing to accept.

shawnw
09-21-2019, 09:45 AM
Maybe it'll finally make the "all knowing" traffic engineers look bad enough that their sway will weaken.

(it was hard to not laugh when typing that)

Pete
09-21-2019, 10:03 AM
It's a local government management political philosophy - people (theoretically) want low taxes, therefor the City must make do with a more reactive service provision model. Until political leaders test this philosophy by floating increases in taxes and higher service levels in return, we won't know if that's really what people are willing to accept.

We also keep our sales tax -- the primary city funding mechanism -- artificially low to accommodate MAPS.

So, we can fund big shiny things but then do a terrible job maintaining the city as a whole.

If you've ever lived anywhere else, it's pretty shocking to see the difference in how OKC handles this versus almost every other peer city.

soonerguru
09-21-2019, 04:52 PM

This is not a generic local government philosophy, it is an OKC philosophy. Even Tulsa does way better at keeping the lights on, medians mowed, etc. This city simply has no regard for aesthetics, and it is multigenerational. It has been one of the ugliest, most unkempt cities for decades, MAPS or no.

HangryHippo
09-21-2019, 06:28 PM
This is not a generic local government philosophy, it is an OKC philosophy. Even Tulsa does way better at keeping the lights on, medians mowed, etc. This city simply has no regard for aesthetics, and it is multigenerational. It has been one of the ugliest, most unkempt cities for decades, MAPS or no.
Agreed. OKC just doesn’t care.

HOT ROD
09-30-2019, 02:13 AM
MAPS for cleanliness. ...

sorry, couldn't help it. But instead of putting aside $100M in endowments as a gift to the local banks, OKC could make an 1/8th cent permanent increase in the sales tax permanent to care about keeping the city cleaned up and mowed. Maybe have another 1/8th cent permanent increase for the Parks Department and we're really getting somewhere with O&M. Even with this total of $0.0025 per dollar increase in the sales tax, you could still implement MAPS and most folks wont even notice the difference tax wise. It is really time OKC looks at permanent increases and stop with the excuses.

Oh, and the new/existing transit system can get funding from the gas tax; which also is artificially low (lowest for the region). You could increase it for transit operations and maintenance (maybe even capital expenditure) but still be the lowest gas prices in the region.

That's how we do it here (gas tax funds maintenance/operations, property tax and tabs funds capital).

zefferoni
10-01-2019, 06:54 AM
MAPS for cleanliness. ...

sorry, couldn't help it. But instead of putting aside $100M in endowments as a gift to the local banks, OKC could make an 1/8th cent permanent increase in the sales tax permanent to care about keeping the city cleaned up and mowed. Maybe have another 1/8th cent permanent increase for the Parks Department and we're really getting somewhere with O&M. Even with this total of $0.0025 per dollar increase in the sales tax, you could still implement MAPS and most folks wont even notice the difference tax wise. It is really time OKC looks at permanent increases and stop with the excuses.

Oh, and the new/existing transit system can get funding from the gas tax; which also is artificially low (lowest for the region). You could increase it for transit operations and maintenance (maybe even capital expenditure) but still be the lowest gas prices in the region.

That's how we do it here (gas tax funds maintenance/operations, property tax and tabs funds capital).

Add trash collection along the dams/inlets on the Oklahoma River and I'll double vote for it. When I go fishing around the city I usually bring a grocery bag to pick up trash with as I go, but it'd take a dump truck for everything along the river :(

jccouger
10-02-2019, 09:15 AM
https://oklahoman.com/article/5642857/changes-coming-to-dangerous-okc-boulevard-intersection

BoulderSooner
10-02-2019, 09:29 AM
https://oklahoman.com/article/5642857/changes-coming-to-dangerous-okc-boulevard-intersection

this is a huge deal that will be great for that area

the street light needs to be part of this asap