View Full Version : OKC Boulevard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24

SEMIweather
06-17-2019, 09:56 PM
I'm sure I've posted this here already, but every time Pete posts a new overhead shot I crack up at how much of an obvious disaster that Reno intersection is going to be. We already have a great example of why not to build an intersection like this (NW Expressway & NW 63rd), but they went ahead and did it anyways.

shawnw
06-17-2019, 10:01 PM
In conversations I've had with Mr Wenger regarding the boulevard, he's said things like "if it doesn't work we can change it", so I hope he was serious about that.

HOT ROD
06-18-2019, 02:04 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard061519a.jpg

^ how is this any different than a landscaped freeway?

I'd rather they would have spent the dollars on landscaping OKC's existing freeways in this manner and just had I-40 dump into the street grid into Reno. Could have had a 6-way intersection or a Grand Round-A-Bout complete with some OKC statue or grand fountain.

Now that's big city and would have been much cheaper to implement but a much bigger bang.

Pete
06-18-2019, 04:50 AM
Key Bricktown intersection to be moved (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=624-Key-Bricktown-intersection-to-be-moved)

The City of Oklahoma City is planning to spend up to $1.4 million to move an intersection and possibly a section of street in Lower Bricktown.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul061719e.jpg

As the full length of the new Oklahoma City Boulevard nears completion, the city is moving forward with relocating the only intersection between the I-235/I-40 interchange and Shields Boulevard.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) is constructing the boulevard which follows the footprint of the old I-40 before it was relocated several blocks to the south.

Oklahoma City public works instructed ODOT to build an intersection at Oklahoma Avenue as the main ingress and egress out of Lower Bricktown, which contains Harkins Theater and many restaurants and attractions as well as hundreds of parking spaces.

The city had planned to acquire property to the immediate east of a Uhaul facility which would have allowed Oklahoma to connect in a straight line to Reno Avenue.

However, the city and Uhaul could not come to terms when the operators of the rental and storage facility insisted the city's $1 million offer was far too low. In a press release, Uhaul management promoted a petition against the proposed plan and said it would cost the company approximately $5 million to relocate the entrance and make other related changes.

The city then filed an eminent domain proceeding against Uhaul to forcibly take the property but withdrew the litigation before the 3 court-appointed commissioners could determine fair market value. Eminent domain binds both parties to a price once the commissioners submit their report to the court; the city stopped their suit just short of this point of no return.

No long thereafter, the city connected the boulevard intersection through an elaborate re-routing of traffic that took motorists around the Uhaul property.

OKCTalk learned city representatives had been meeting with homeowners of the Centennial Condominiums, located just east of this section of Oklahoma Avenue. Plans were shared that showed the boulevard intersection being moved to the west and then Oklahoma Avenue being rebuilt directly north to a new intersection on Reno Avenue.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul061719a.jpg

Representatives from the Centennial told OKCTalk their homeowners' association is strongly opposed to the plan to move the north section of the street and recently voted to have an attorney send a letter to the city expressing their objections.

Assistant Public Works Director Debbie Miller told OKCTalk that the city is committed to moving the boulevard intersection sometime this summer, as landscaping has already commenced on the divided roadway.

Miller also said that the rest of the alignment would not be relocated without the consensus of Bricktown Entertainment – owners of the affected parking lots – and the Centennial homeowners through future meetings.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul061719b.jpg

Earlier this month, city council approved a contract with engineering firm Smith Roberts Baldischwiler for planning and construction up to $1.4 million for the entire project, although it is likely the full budget won't be spent if only the one intersection is changed.

The intersection move will place it at the far western edge for two key properties on the south side of the boulevard, the 40-acre Producers Coop site and the 6-acre former Lumberyard that has substantial frontage on the roadway.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul061719d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uhaul061719c.jpg

David
06-18-2019, 05:45 AM
Ugh, I wish they would just not. Wait on U-Haul, see if things change, don't make a permanent decision. Maybe the Centennial HOA can stop it.

At least this is better than the dog leg around the building.

hfry
06-18-2019, 05:52 AM
Pete who owns that parking lot on the east side of the railroad tracks there that they plan to go through? Also is it just me or does it show a westbound only turn out onto the boulevard from the new Oklahoma Avenue ?

Pete
06-18-2019, 05:58 AM
The boulevard intersection will be move regardless; that is already in motion.

The Centennial HOA absolutely does not want the north half of Oklahoma to be moved, and the city is saying they won't do anything without consensus, so that will probably be the end of this.

I would still like to know why the city instructed ODOT to place the intersection at the current location when they had not procured the Uhaul property. As it turned out, the two parties were miles apart on price and it very much looked like the court was inclined to the Uhaul valuation, which is why the city dropped the whole matter.

The Lumberyard and Coop will be adversely affected, as the only real way in and out of these massive properties is at the far west end. And it also places the only 2 lights on the boulevard between I-235 and Shields very close together.

Pete
06-18-2019, 05:59 AM
Pete who owns that parking lot on the east side of the railroad tracks there that they plan to go through? Also is it just me or does it show a westbound only turn out onto the boulevard from the new Oklahoma Avenue ?

Randy Hogan.

And the idea of putting another intersection on Reno makes no sense to me, especially given the proximity to Oklahoma Ave. northbound, the streetcar stop on the north side of Reno and then yet another light at EKG/Shields.

RedDollar
06-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Mo money .....................its not real money .................its just mo money for downtown. City will get it back in taxes.

Bwaaaa

jn1780
06-18-2019, 07:31 AM
Randy Hogan.

And the idea of putting another intersection on Reno makes no sense to me, especially given the proximity to Oklahoma Ave. northbound, the streetcar stop on the north side of Reno and then yet another light at EKG/Shields.

Negotiation tactics? What the city will probably end up doing is having Oklahoma curve back into the current Reno/Oklahoma intersection similar to the Western/Classen configuration. They made this crazy proposal to make that idea sound better. I'm sure they will do this one regardless of what anything thinks. The city is not going to be happy with two 90 degree turns, otherwise it wouldn't bother moving intersection.

Truthfully, the Centennial HOA is going to be strongly opposed to any proposal because ultimately means more traffic on Oklahoma, but that's going to happen regardless.

HangryHippo
06-18-2019, 10:23 AM
It would require a ton of modifcation and be cost-prohibitive, but a nice solution (IMO) would be a move of Harkins Bricktown and connect Mickey Mantle through Lower Bricktown to the boulevard and to Walnut in the Co-Op/Lumberyard. You could move the theatre and it might prompt some redevelopment of lower Bricktown to not be so lame.

jn1780
06-18-2019, 10:30 AM
It would require a ton of modifcation and be cost-prohibitive, but a nice solution (IMO) would be a move of Harkins Bricktown and connect Mickey Mantle through Lower Bricktown to the boulevard and to Walnut in the Co-Op/Lumberyard. You could move the theatre and it might prompt some redevelopment of lower Bricktown to not be so lame.

Just another case of poor planning by the city.

HangryHippo
06-18-2019, 10:32 AM
I agree.

BoulderSooner
06-18-2019, 11:09 AM

i wonder what the history of the city vacating the oklahoma street row is?

HangryHippo
06-18-2019, 11:28 AM
The irony is that they are also improving Reno (center of 2nd photo above) with a landscaped median.
This right here! And we wouldn't be dealing with this bs intersection issue near the U-Haul if we had just transformed Reno all across the city (in which case it would have truly become the OKC Boulevard).

Pete
07-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Took this last evening.

All the paving looks like it's finished and it's just down to striping and installing traffic lights.

At the bottom right, it's looking more and more like Exchange will no longer connect with the Reno/Western intersection.

In the middle right, Lively Brewery has painted its large building a bright purple.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard070119b.jpg

jedicurt
07-02-2019, 09:08 AM
In the middle right, Lively Brewery has painted its large building a bright purple.

i'd call that more violet than purple...

thanks for the pic Pete... hopefully this will be open soon, and we can see if it truly was needed or not.

Lazio85
07-02-2019, 09:45 AM
No Exchange connection ...

Pete
07-02-2019, 09:48 AM
No Exchange connection ...

I don't understand this.

Exchange directly connects downtown to the Stockyards.

The former 3-way intersection was not problematic in any way I ever saw.

Ross MacLochness
07-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Maybe the city will reconnect when they take this over?

David
07-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Go all the way, level the stupid overpass and put in the circles that should have been the solution all along.

baralheia
07-02-2019, 10:31 AM
Oh what could have been... https://andrewkstewart.wordpress.com/tag/market-circle/

Click to embiggen

HangryHippo
07-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Oh what could have been... https://andrewkstewart.wordpress.com/tag/market-circle/
Yep. Huge missed opportunity.

BDP
07-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Maybe the city will reconnect when they take this over?

That's what I had seen / been told. I think there are some plans floating around city hall for some sort of traffic circle there and maybe on Klein. Not as grand as the plan above, but something to connect the area, create place in the Farmer's market, and manage the flow of traffic that meets there, all while preserving a connection to Exchange and on into the Stockyards. But I have no idea how far any of that is, or if it's even still being considered by anyone. To me, it looks ODOT isn't going to touch that little section of exchange at all, which I assume the city still controls. I have no idea when or how something will happen here, but I imagine it's another case where one interest will complete the work and then another will tear it up again to fix the problem that could have been avoided all along...

shawnw
07-02-2019, 02:16 PM
I want it, but I'll believe it when I see it. Every time I've heard Eric Wenger talk on the matter he doesn't think it works in this area. Not saying I agree with him here, but I haven't seen anything to convince me he has changed his mind. Wanting to be wrong of course.

jn1780
07-02-2019, 02:47 PM
I know adding Exchange back into the interchange can probably be done relatively cheaply. A traffic circle would require ROW which will increase cost, but probably nothing too astronomical.

betts
07-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Go all the way, level the stupid overpass and put in the circles that should have been the solution all along.

A couple of the people in charge blithely told me that could be done if we don’t like it the way it is. I’ve never seen people so happy to waste taxpayer money by redoing expensive concrete.

jn1780
07-02-2019, 03:09 PM
A couple of the people in charge blithely told me that could be done if we don’t like it the way it is. I’ve never seen people so happy to waste taxpayer money by redoing expensive concrete.

I seriously doubt that would gain any real traction, at least not until 20 to 30 years from now. I do think boulevard should be lowered between the Western bridge between Penn though. Eventually the three re-purposed I-40 bridges will need to be rebuilt and it would make more sense to lower boulevard at this point. That may take away some of the pain of the having the bridge over Western.

onthestrip
07-02-2019, 03:46 PM
So much road in such a small area.

Pete
07-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Boulevard crossroads (https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/boulevard-crossroads/Content?oid=6330735)
An Oklahoma City Boulevard intersection is being moved, and city officials are seeking the most efficient way to reconfigure streets.
BY MIGUEL RIOS

https://media2.fdncms.com/okgazette/imager/u/blog/6330740/uhaul_building.jpg?cb=1562083486

The current Oklahoma City Boulevard intersection in Bricktown is being moved to the west of U-Haul.
The Oklahoma City Boulevard intersection in lower Bricktown is being moved. City officials are also weighing various options to make it more efficient for drivers, which could include relocating Oklahoma Avenue. Both reconfigurations would cost the city up to $1.4 million.

Originally, officials planned to extend Oklahoma Avenue straight through the U-Haul Moving & Storage of Bricktown parking lot to connect with the original boulevard intersection. The city was to acquire the parking lot property but did not do so before the intersection was constructed. Currently, drivers must detour around the U-Haul facility, 100 SE Second St., to reach Oklahoma Avenue.

“When [Oklahoma Department of Transportation] was in plan development, they moved that intersection to there. They had to construct it; they couldn’t wait on it to get the right-of-way,” said Debbie Miller, assistant Public Works director. “It was on their schedule. We wanted to extend Oklahoma from the boulevard all the way up to Reno, and a portion of Oklahoma Avenue is constructed there at Second Street, which is north of U-Haul. We had gone through negotiations to purchase their parking lot, and things fell through. So since it fell through, we’re trying to find a different route that will still work.”

U-Haul representatives previously told media they were negotiating with the city for two years but hit a roadblock when it came to discussing money.

“Construction costs for what the city is asking of our store will approach $5 million,” wrote a U-Haul representative in a 2017 letter to Public Works. “In response, the city offered us just over $1 million. Essentially asking a business to spend its own money — let alone almost $4 million — to accommodate a city-requested project that would hurt business and inconvenience U-Haul customers is mindboggling. And wrong.”

The city then filed eminent domain proceedings but withdrew them before fair market value was determined.

New plans
Now, the city plans to move the Oklahoma City Boulevard intersection west of the U-Haul facility and find a way to connect it to Reno Avenue. Miller said one of the options is to rebuild Oklahoma Avenue directly north to a new intersection on Reno Avenue.

“We have two or three different options, and there have been no decisions made on that,” she said. “[Another option] is we can connect it to Second Street and take out a couple of the turns — but you’d still have to turn on Second — and leave Oklahoma Avenue where it’s at. ... The other is possibly extending Oklahoma [Avenue] all the way up and leaving that portion of Oklahoma [Avenue] in place for the condo owners. There are a lot of options; we just don’t have anything definite yet.”

The city signed a contract in May with engineering firm Smith Roberts Baldischwiler for planning and construction up to $1.4 million to move the intersection and relocate Oklahoma Avenue.

https://media2.fdncms.com/okgazette/imager/u/blog/6330739/map.jpg?cb=1562083492

The current Oklahoma Avenue will be replaced by parking lots, and the new Oklahoma Avenue will connect Reno Avenue with the boulevard on the west side of U-Haul.

“Oklahoma Avenue south from Reno Avenue to Oklahoma City Boulevard is impaired by the location of private property,” reads the resolution passed by Oklahoma City Council in May. “This project will provide for the relocation of Oklahoma Avenue through the exchange of property and easements, closing and construction of public streets, and the relocation of drives and access to Reno Avenue and Oklahoma City Boulevard.”

Conceptual renderings by Smith Roberts Baldischwiler show the current Oklahoma Avenue replaced by parking lots. The new Oklahoma Avenue would connect Reno Avenue with the boulevard on the east side of U-Haul.

However, The Centennial Lofts Owners Association expressed opposition to the proposal and hired attorney Eric Groves to send a letter to the city with their concerns. The letter states the street reconfiguration would force residents to enter their property through Reno Avenue, which gets congested during events.

“The taking away of S. Oklahoma Avenue would be unsafe in their minds and inconvenient to say the least. They were never consulted about this by anybody,” Groves told Oklahoma Gazette. “The conceptual plan was done without consultation with the association or its representatives, so they’re not happy about that. … I’m retained to investigate the manner, make recommendations to the association, and we have that underway right now.”

At least one meeting with Centennial homeowners association members and Public Works officials has taken place since the city’s plans were released. Groves was not there but said the association “did not come away from that meeting with a totally comprehensive and clear understanding of what’s going on.” Miller also said they have been in conversations with them but have not made any concrete decisions.

“We haven’t really gotten to that point yet,” she said. “We have recently found out that they were involved in this, and so we’ve kind of put the brakes on until we get them pulled in and take care of their issues. … We really haven’t decided on which direction to go because we do like to work with all the property owners and take their concerns into account.”

Miller said they have no definite schedule on the project but want to focus on moving the intersection to finish the ongoing landscaping project in that area.

The project is funded by a 2007 general obligation bond for street reconstruction with an authorized amount of $2.5 million.

“We have to use 85 percent or use a portion of it and have the project declared complete,” Miller said. “We would use the amount that we could, and if the project is complete, we can declare it complete and the remaining money would be surplus.”

Surplus money would go to another bond project of the same type. Miller said they could technically consider the project complete once the intersection is moved, but they feel the need to put more work and make the connection to Reno Avenue more efficient.

catch22
07-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Talk about making a bad situation even worse.

Pete
07-06-2019, 05:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGMwMzHD8E

BoulderSooner
07-08-2019, 04:59 AM
if it really is only 4 mil more to make uhaul ok with the move then they should just suck it up and do this correctly

HangryHippo
07-08-2019, 06:08 AM
if it really is only 4 mil more to make uhaul ok with the move then they should just suck it up and do this correctly
Agreed.

jn1780
07-08-2019, 07:08 AM

Visually, the public is more likely to be vocal about tearing up an existing intersection then if 4 million is spent. I guess it was the Federal government ultimately got the cost savings from building a shorter bridge on the west end and none of that can be applied to ROW from uhaul.

David
07-08-2019, 08:06 AM

Yep.

Pete
07-08-2019, 08:44 AM

Or just leave things as they are.

The city completely screwed up and shouldn't be spending more money without fixing this mess in a proper manner.

$1.4M to take a curve out of a drive? And to move an entire intersection very close to one that already exists? And to place the only ingress/egress for the Producer's Coop at the far west end? What is the point in all this?

BoulderSooner
07-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Or just leave things as they are.

The city completely screwed up and shouldn't be spending more money without fixing this mess in a proper manner.

$1.4M to take a curve out of a drive? And to move an entire intersection very close to one that already exists? And to place the only ingress/egress for the Producer's Coop at the far west end? What is the point in all this?

agree bricktown will be fine either way ... whatever happens with the coop site is fare more important

Anonymous.
07-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Hardly anyone uses this current intersection, there is no purpose to move it. People can turn left or right just fine and figure it out. In fact, I think hardly anyone uses the Boulevard at all right now. And this section has been "complete" for a long time.

Lafferty Daniel
07-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Every time I open this thread I get more pissed off.

jedicurt
07-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Hardly anyone uses this current intersection, there is no purpose to move it. People can turn left or right just fine and figure it out. In fact, I think hardly anyone uses the Boulevard at all right now. And this section has been "complete" for a long time.

i drive from memorial down 235 all the way to norman each evening for norman, and i probably use this section of the boulevard more than others, as if there is any wreck or slow traffic on 35, i take this to hit shield and take it the whole way down. and i have never seen anyone even turn at this intersection... so i don't know why one is needed.

jn1780
07-08-2019, 03:24 PM
Its one of those cases of induced demand. Right now, no one uses it because it doesn't look like it leads anywhere. Can't see where Oklahoma avenue connects to Reno so no one thinks about using it. I guess we need traffic counts from the other paths leading to Reno to determine if this is the case.

Plutonic Panda
07-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Its one of those cases of induced demand. Right now, no one uses it because it doesn't look like it leads anywhere. Can't see where Oklahoma avenue connects to Reno so no one thinks about using it. I guess we need traffic counts from the other paths leading to Reno to determine if this is the case.
Induced demand... because cars will magically appear from nowhere so they can use new lanes to sit in traffic because we all know that’s what people love doing.

BDP
07-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Maybe there's still time to name this thing Westbrook Blvd...

Or, maybe Zero St.

catch22
07-22-2019, 10:20 PM

Or, maybe Zero St.

Cudaben St.

(Could have been)

Pete
07-23-2019, 05:16 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard072119a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard072119b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard072119c.jpg

OKCDrummer77
07-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Cudaben St.

(Could have been)

Channeling Culture Club:
"Ooh, in time it Cudaben so much more!"

midtownokcer
07-29-2019, 12:35 AM
The landscaping on the western portion of the Boulevard is atrocious. Nearly 25% of the smaller trees/shrubs planted earlier this year are dead or dying. I wasn't expecting the chestnut trees on the Champs-Élysées, but this is just pitiful.

betts
07-29-2019, 04:25 AM

Or, maybe Zero St.

Boondoggle Blvd perhaps?

dford2
07-29-2019, 04:26 AM
Boondoggle Blvd perhaps?

More like, OOP's, we messed up again Blvd.

Pete
07-29-2019, 06:20 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard072919a.jpg

okccowan
07-29-2019, 11:01 AM
I like Zero St, great idea betts

Geographer
07-30-2019, 07:01 AM
"The Devon Energy Oklahoma City Blvd Presented by Sonic - America's Drive In."

Ross MacLochness
07-31-2019, 08:11 AM
This is really shaping up to be world class isn't it?

Pete
07-31-2019, 09:14 AM
It's like they just kicked out the support columns of the old I-40 and it just collapsed on the ground.

jn1780
07-31-2019, 09:18 AM
Any update on the east end? All the landscaping work is on hold because of the intersection relocation project. They got started then stop abruptly..

Pete
07-31-2019, 09:22 AM
Any update on the east end? All the landscaping work is on hold because of the intersection relocation project. They got started then stop abruptly..

Getting ready to move forward again.

They have pretty much finalized the plans to move the intersection one block west but it will still curve around Uhaul and connect with Reno in the same place.

HangryHippo
07-31-2019, 07:45 PM
Getting ready to move forward again.

They have pretty much finalized the plans to move the intersection one block west but it will still curve around Uhaul and connect with Reno in the same place.
How f***ing stupid! This whole thing is a boondoggle.

5alive
07-31-2019, 08:02 PM
This is so upsetting! Can this not be left as it is for now. Then perhaps in the future things will change with U-Haul.

kukblue1
07-31-2019, 08:26 PM
What is wrong with it the way it is now. I haven't heard of an accidents. Does it become a bottleneck on weekends or after Thunder games? If it's not broken don't fix it