View Full Version : OKC Boulevard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

betts
05-01-2019, 10:38 PM
There are literally hundreds of homeless camped out on the north side of the boulevard and west of Western.

I believe this is all ODOT land that they don't maintain or monitor in any way, which is why people have settled there.

That wouldn’t have happened had they kept the boulevard on the ground as we tried very had to convince them to do. ODOT has been creating homeless shelters for years now.

G.Walker
05-01-2019, 11:18 PM
It's astonishing on how much small dirty industry aligns the new boulevard coming into the city from the west. Not a good first impression or gateway for visitors coming off of I-40 into downtown.

Quicker
05-02-2019, 12:24 AM
That wouldn’t have happened had they kept the boulevard on the ground as we tried very had to convince them to do. ODOT has been creating homeless shelters for years now.

Hmmm...help me with that. The same ODOT property would still be there and still be the same size... it’s a block or two west of Western and it appears that they’re there because it’s out of the way and they’re not hassled there. Explain to me the correlation with the overpass because I’m just not seeing it... Where would you like to chase them off to?

HangryHippo
05-02-2019, 06:34 AM
It's astonishing on how much small dirty industry aligns the new boulevard coming into the city from the west. Not a good first impression or gateway for visitors coming off of I-40 into downtown.
Well, to be fair, we want to be consistent with the impression visitors are given coming in from the airport.

jonny d
05-02-2019, 06:38 AM

Burn 'em all down, amirite?

Pete
05-02-2019, 07:17 AM

It's because what was there for decades was a raised interstate and it was generally undesirable property.

As you get east of Classen, you can see that area has really started to clean up and be redeveloped.

Pete
05-12-2019, 08:15 AM
You can see they have started landscaping the east section and the west section work is well underway:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard051019a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard051019b.jpg

onthestrip
05-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Looks really close to being done. Theres a dozen or more new trees that looked like they have already died on west part of Blvd.

aDark
05-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Looks really close to being done. Theres a dozen or more new trees that looked like they have already died on west part of Blvd.

Saw that as well. I understand those trees are not meant to be watered as heavily as they have been. I feel for the contractor as the recent rains have been incredibly tough on all projects currently underway in the metro.

DowntownMan
05-13-2019, 10:31 AM
You can see they have started landscaping the east section and the west section work is well underway:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard051019a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard051019b.jpg

Are we going to put in all the landscaping on the east side just to have to rip it up when the city moves the intersection 200 feet to the west....

Think we could do some planning and coordinate this. I understand the responsibility is the state currently and then once handed over to the city, they will make changes.
No matter who is responsible. It is still tax dollars being spent and I wish we could be more responsible and coordinate efforts

Pete
05-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Are we going to put in all the landscaping on the east side just to have to rip it up when the city moves the intersection 200 feet to the west....

It seems the city has abandoned moving that intersection.

SEMIweather
05-13-2019, 06:47 PM
It seems the city has abandoned moving that intersection.

Good. It's going to be a mess either way, may as well just leave it the way it is for now.

David
05-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Yeah, especially since leaving it in the current location means we might be able to just wait out the current problem.

OKC2017
05-24-2019, 07:18 AM
the tract between walker and reno seems complete. is it open yet or will it open soon?

jn1780
05-24-2019, 07:35 AM
the tract between walker and reno seems complete. is it open yet or will it open soon?

Not open yet. I would think it would be best if they waited until all signals are installed and operational. That would immediately open up a lot of traffic to the eastern parts of blvd that is still seeing a lot of construction.

kukblue1
05-25-2019, 11:08 AM
So how am I getting in and out of the Mcdonalds on the west side?

Buffalo Bill
05-25-2019, 12:29 PM

Looks like you an get in and out of McDonalds from Western, Classen, or Sheridan.

kukblue1
05-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Looks like you an get in and out of McDonalds from Western, Classen, or Sheridan.

I should of said how do it get to it from the Boulevard. Looks like it goes over Western and Classsen. Also what is going to happen with the exit that is there now. Meaning like where you have to get off coming in from the west.

Buffalo Bill
05-25-2019, 02:21 PM
I should of said how do it get to it from the Boulevard. Looks like it goes over Western and Classsen. Also what is going to happen with the exit that is there now. Meaning like where you have to get off coming in from the west.

Right on Klein, left on Reno, left on Western/Classen. My guess is the city will convert Sheridan to 2 way in the future, so you’ll be able to go left on Klein and right on Sheridan.

Plutonic Panda
05-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Please keep me updated on this. My anxiety won’t die down until I know how this can be done.

SEMIweather
05-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Please keep me updated on this. My anxiety won’t die down until I know how this can be done.

The only acceptable solution is an exit off of the overpass directly into the drive-thru lane.

Plutonic Panda
05-27-2019, 03:08 PM
The only acceptable solution is an exit off of the overpass directly into the drive-thru lane.
Good call. Another concept could be a park and ride and let’s not leave our hyper loop tech.

PaddyShack
05-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Good call. Another concept could be a park and ride and let’s not leave our hyper loop tech.

Woah woah woah, what about raising the McDonald's above grade so people don't even have to leave the Blvd

Pete
05-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Reno is the E/W street in both photos.

No new sections are open quite yet; the vehicles you see are construction. But everything to the east of the bridge is pretty much complete.

The only real work left is the overpass and Reno between Western and where it intersects with the boulevard. For some reason, they are taking forever on that part of the work.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard053019a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard053019b.jpg

Plutonic Panda
05-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Reno should have had an overpass or Western should be at grade. It doesn’t make sense to construct a road like this having on intersection at grade and another grade separated that are so close to each other.

Maybe OKC should remove a lane from this road and convert it to a bus lane that is part of BRT to western suburbs.

rte66man
05-31-2019, 06:27 AM
I can't figure out that traffic island in the middle of the intersection. I'm assuming there will be no left turns allowed from Reno to the Blvd in either direction (like NW63rd at NW Expressway). If so, are they planning on putting traffic signals on it?

Pete
05-31-2019, 06:40 AM
This shot shows the unfinished section of Reno.

For months, if you exit I-40 on Western and head north, you have to take a detour then drive across a big section of gravel. I have no idea why this taking so bloody long but I almost never see anyone working on this section.

Also, still can't figure out if Exchange (diagonal heading SW near the center left) will still be connected to the Reno/Western interchange. It's an important gateway to the Stockyards.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard053019c.jpg

PaddyShack
05-31-2019, 07:19 AM
I wonder what this intersection will be like during icy conditions...

Geographer
05-31-2019, 07:24 AM
Do they plan to plant trees in the median from the overpass eastward towards the park? I also can't figure out why they didn't find a way to add at least a small median on the park-block of the boulevard for some enhanced landscaping and trees....seems like that would be one of the places where you would want to have the highest level of landscaping in the right-of-way.

Anonymous.
05-31-2019, 08:06 AM
All of these awkward diagonal intersections completed is really showing how absurd this whole thing is.

Pete
05-31-2019, 08:10 AM
All of these awkward diagonal intersections completed is really showing how absurd this whole thing is.

Especially since Reno is being completely redone and the other directly adjacent e/w streets are nowhere near capacity.

Anonymous.
05-31-2019, 08:50 AM
I wonder what the value of the lots that [would have been created] with restoration to the grid, will be worth in the next 10-20 years. It would be interesting to see value increases of the adjacent properties. The transition area between Film Row and the Farmers Market area is destined for future development, and the boulevard is taking up an insane amount of valuable land to accomplish that.

HangryHippo
05-31-2019, 10:08 AM
This. The whole damn thing is a gigantic waste when Reno could have been the boulevard from Yukon to MWC.

jccouger
05-31-2019, 01:32 PM
These pictures really make me cringe.

I hope it accomplishes whatever the goal is supposed to be.

CCOKC
05-31-2019, 02:04 PM
I cringe every time I drive south on Walker or Western Avenues. This is the most ridiculous thing that just brings a fury out in me that I hate myself for later. I know it will be even worse when the thing actually opens.

Pete
05-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Not only is it not needed and takes up a huge chunk of the space in the core, we can't even incorporate bike lanes.

Keep in mind, this wasn't just ODOT forcing this down the city's throat. There were/are several powerful employers downtown who advocated for this.

GoGators
05-31-2019, 05:19 PM
Im sure the "build more parking lots in downtown" crowd on this board love this. Elevated lanes that lead right up to your front row parking spot to the Thunder game.Bringing all of the amenities of Memorial road to Downtown.

Jeepnokc
06-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Looks like they have pulled most of the dead pine trees out on the west section. With about 90% of them dying...clearly wasn't the right choice to begin with or they got a shipment of unhealthy trees.

OKCRT
06-01-2019, 02:29 PM
This. The whole damn thing is a gigantic waste when Reno could have been the boulevard from Yukon to MWC.

Never thought about that but it's so true.

OKCRT
06-01-2019, 02:31 PM
I will reserve judgement til I see how it works with traffic and also the number of users. It will prob. be great on Thunder game nights.

BDP
06-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Im sure the "build more parking lots in downtown" crowd on this board love this. Elevated lanes that lead right up to your front row parking spot to the Thunder game.Bringing all of the amenities of Memorial road to Downtown.

On game nights, it probably will be a parking lot.

HOT ROD
06-02-2019, 01:55 AM
i was going to just say, is traffic bad on Thunder nights?

not sure how this will "help".

mugofbeer
06-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Looks like they have pulled most of the dead pine trees out on the west section. With about 90% of them dying...clearly wasn't the right choice to begin with or they got a shipment of unhealthy trees.

The natural selection of trees that grow in Oklahoma City, l don't think, has ever included pines. Plant what grows naturally here unless you plan to give them a lot of TLC and water.

d-usa
06-02-2019, 04:08 PM
I drive on the thing eastbound from I-40 the other day. It’s certainly nicer than the old I-40, but it could have been so much more.

BDP
06-02-2019, 07:54 PM

It will be interesting to see if it does help, or if it makes it worse. On game nights I can usually bop and weave through the grid north of the CBD and get out in 5 minutes or so. Construction is the only thing that can slow it down. Getting out of the parking garage is usually what takes the longest, but I don't have to get on a freeway to get home.

But, if everyone who needs to get on the freeway decides to use this road, I imagine it will be slow going.

Ross MacLochness
06-03-2019, 08:22 AM

trees were a bad batch from an out of state nursery.

gopokes88
06-04-2019, 09:03 AM

If people would park just 3-5 blocks away from the arena, they’d be amazed how fast they can get out.

I usually park in deep deuce and walk to the car. By the time I get there traffic is non existent.

jn1780
06-04-2019, 09:17 AM
The boulevard was planned way back when everyone would laugh at the idea of OKC having an NBA team so no one can really say the boulevard is mostly for the Thunders benefit. It was all the company's around in the mid-90s that pushed for it.

GoGators
06-04-2019, 11:13 AM
It will be interesting to see if it does help, or if it makes it worse. On game nights I can usually bop and weave through the grid north of the CBD and get out in 5 minutes or so. Construction is the only thing that can slow it down. Getting out of the parking garage is usually what takes the longest, but I don't have to get on a freeway to get home.

But, if everyone who needs to get on the freeway decides to use this road, I imagine it will be slow going.

The Joys of an intact grid. This is why 16,000 people leaving a Thunder game is relatively painless and Rockwell and Memorial cant handle the traffic from employees of one company. Also why all of the "Intersections to avoid" are in areas where no grid exists.

HOT ROD
06-04-2019, 11:47 AM
If people would park just 3-5 blocks away from the arena, they’d be amazed how fast they can get out.

I usually park in deep deuce and walk to the car. By the time I get there traffic is non existent.

That has been my experience as well in the many visits I make to OKC. There nowhere near the amount of traffic in OKC that was experienced here in Seattle when the same team was here in a much smaller arena.

If the OKC Thunder is the biggest single draw for the city and is being handled nicely with the existing infrastructure (I-40/I-235, NW Expressway/Classen, and arterial + city grid) I too am very confused on the "need" ODOT and city business leaders saw for the boulevard.

I only see OKC's city argument for it as a ceremonial GRAND street but I thought OKC already had a Grand Avenue (now Sheridan) which IMO is still best stretch to drive through the core downtown to this day. ...

mugofbeer
06-04-2019, 12:30 PM
trees were a bad batch from an out of state nursery.

I guess buying locally grown trees that are used to the local climate was too much to expect.

Ross MacLochness
06-04-2019, 02:03 PM
I guess buying locally grown trees that are used to the local climate was too much to expect.

I think it was an issue of being able to find enough trees at once but idk.

Pete
06-17-2019, 05:39 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard061519a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard061519b.jpg

PaddyShack
06-17-2019, 03:01 PM
This really is quite useless. I live in Yukon and use it every time I come to DT, but I still don't like the way to looks and cuts up the west side of DT. I like the ease ofuse it provides, but would rather not have it for cosmetic and grid efficiency sake.

BDP
06-17-2019, 04:02 PM
The Joys of an intact grid. This is why 16,000 people leaving a Thunder game is relatively painless and Rockwell and Memorial cant handle the traffic from employees of one company. Also why all of the "Intersections to avoid" are in areas where no grid exists.

True. Clogged intersections north of 50th are all pretty much self inflicted traffic jams. It's just simply what happens when you design a system that more or less forces all traffic in a square mile through one intersection.

Pete
06-17-2019, 04:07 PM
The irony is that they are also improving Reno (center of 2nd photo above) with a landscaped median.

jn1780
06-17-2019, 04:13 PM
Will they even have the signal timing right on the new BLVD or will it take 3 years of complaining before timing is worked out.

BDP
06-17-2019, 04:15 PM
The boulevard was planned way back when everyone would laugh at the idea of OKC having an NBA team so no one can really say the boulevard is mostly for the Thunders benefit.

I'm not even sure it will benefit the Thunder in any way, whether they wanted it or not.

It was all the company's around in the mid-90s that pushed for it.

I thought it was ODOT's "solution" to building a new freeway with fewer exists. I'm just speculating, but I imagine most companies would have just preferred more exists, or at least the same number as before. 40 was basically designed to move traffic past downtown, not into it. So, they just came back with an idea to put a lot of that traffic in / out of downtown onto one road. Maybe someone was hoping it would be named after them, but, if so, they were forgetting how creative our naming game is.

I guess we'll see how well it "works" soon enough. I just hope it doesn't back up the traffic from the grid that will have to cross it...

LordGerald
06-17-2019, 04:32 PM
I'm not even sure it will benefit the Thunder in any way, whether they wanted it or not.

I thought it was ODOT's "solution" to building a new freeway with fewer exists. I'm just speculating, but I imagine most companies would have just preferred more exists, or at least the same number as before. 40 was basically designed to move traffic past downtown, not into it. So, they just came back with an idea to put a lot of that traffic in / out of downtown onto one road. Maybe someone was hoping it would be named after them, but, if so, they were forgetting how creative our naming game is.

I guess we'll see how well it "works" soon enough. I just hope it doesn't back up the traffic from the grid that will have to cross it...

True story. ODOT's official name for this project is the "I-40 Bypass." I was in a meeting years ago, and the words "OKC Boulevard" never came out of the engineer's mouth.

Rover
06-17-2019, 06:39 PM
True story. ODOT's official name for this project is the "I-40 Bypass." I was in a meeting years ago, and the words "OKC Boulevard" never came out of the engineer's mouth.. This in no way fits any definition of a bypass. Hard to believe a knowledgeable official would seriously call it that. And years ago it wasn’t named the OKC Boulevard anyway.