Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

shawnw
09-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Trees = good
sidewalks = good

where the bike lanes at?

David
09-26-2018, 03:08 PM
That may still be to come since this appears to be just landscaping related.

5alive
09-26-2018, 03:12 PM
What does it mean "planting beds to be ripped"?

shadfar
09-26-2018, 03:13 PM
where the bike lanes at?
i was asking myself the same question??

Pete
09-26-2018, 03:19 PM
What does it mean "planting beds to be ripped"?

I believe that means using a roto-tiller to turn the soil and integrate compost or something similar.

kukblue1
09-26-2018, 05:15 PM
who owns the Parking Lot next to the arena?

LuccaBrasi
10-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Thanks for digging up and posting, Pete. Although our city tends to cut corners on landscape as a whole in terms of implementation and zoning requirements, I have a glimmer of hope that the boulevard will get done as planned with a proper amount of funding.

Pete
10-22-2018, 08:42 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard102018.jpg

SEMIweather
10-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Is the overpass going over Western/Classen/Reno or will the Reno intersection be at-grade?

shawnw
10-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Reno currently goes through and they haven't ripped it up yet, which it seems like they'd have done by now if that was part of the plan...

Pete
10-23-2018, 05:56 AM
The Reno intersection will be at grade and pretty much as you see in the photo above.

SEMIweather
10-23-2018, 05:10 PM
The Reno intersection will be at grade and pretty much as you see in the photo above.

Thanks for the response, Pete.

Pete
11-05-2018, 05:52 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/blvd110418a.jpg

ChrisHayes
11-05-2018, 06:07 AM
How is it going to work at the overpass. Is there going to be that steep incline heading towards Classen/Western, or are they going to taper it back more?

Urban Pioneer
11-05-2018, 06:35 AM
There will be a vertical retaining wall at Classen Western. This section's construction will be very similar to the methods used on Broadway Extension.

Pete
11-08-2018, 06:44 AM
The last photo is at Hudson looking west. You can see the next section between Hudson and Walker is nearing completion.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard110318a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard110318b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard110318c.jpg

Pete
12-10-2018, 05:51 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard120218.jpg

jn1780
12-14-2018, 10:33 AM
New Classen route/ underpass.

shawnw
12-19-2018, 09:26 PM
http://www.news9.com/clip/14719235/okc-to-repair-street-lights-without-copper

Pete
12-20-2018, 05:16 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard121618d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard121618a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard121618b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard121618c.jpg

Anonymous.
12-20-2018, 07:29 AM
Seeing that massive overpass being built more and more into existence is like watching the Farmers Market's hopes and dreams being slowly pushed down a forever narrowing hallway.

David
12-20-2018, 08:26 AM
What a dumb thing to build in the middle of our street grid.

HangryHippo
12-20-2018, 08:54 AM
I just will never understand why in the hell the "crosstown" boulevard wasn't just improving Reno...

Urban Pioneer
12-20-2018, 09:27 AM
What was planned before the organized FBB protests were even worse.

dankrutka
12-21-2018, 01:28 PM
What a collosol failure. This will destroy economic development opportunities and any time of vibrancy in this area for decades to come.

TheSteveHunt
12-21-2018, 01:32 PM
What a collosol failure. This will destroy economic development opportunities and any time of vibrancy in this area for decades to come.

Here is a great article on Vibrant...must read by my friend Thomas Frank (https://thebaffler.com/salvos/dead-end-on-shakin-street)

BG918
12-21-2018, 03:06 PM
I just will never understand why in the hell the "crosstown" boulevard wasn't just improving Reno...

Because ODOT was in charge. They are highway builders, plain and simple. And they are treating an urban OKC route like it's a bypass around [insert small Oklahoma town here].

Pete
12-21-2018, 03:09 PM
Because ODOT was in charge. They are highway builders, plain and simple. And they are treating an urban OKC route like it's a bypass around [insert small Oklahoma town here].

Several dowtown "stakeholders" also lobbied hard for this.

Their primary concern is allowing their employees to quickly drive in and out.

PhiAlpha
12-21-2018, 07:58 PM

I think that’s a bit dramatic. This certainly could’ve/should’ve been designed better with pedestrian access in mind but it’s far too early to condem it as a complete failure and assume it will be the barrier to development that the crosstown was. There is so much momentum on both sides of this that I have trouble believing that it’s design alone will stifle all of that progress.

dankrutka
12-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Maybe you’re right, but can you think of any examples of a highway going up and then a vibrant neighborhood growing around it?

Plutonic Panda
12-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Maybe you’re right, but can you think of any examples of a highway going up and then a vibrant neighborhood growing around it?
There are tons of vibrant neighborhoods around freeways. Generally if a new freeway is built it isn’t around dense areas anymore, so that comparison isn’t fair. Plus this isn’t a highway in the sense of a freeway, it’s a limited controlled access facility and only halfway at that.

Most major cities have roads like this. This won’t hurt or kill anything. The farmers market area will still take off.

TheSteveHunt
12-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Vibrant is the Penn Square Bank of 2019

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/dead-end-on-shakin-street

dankrutka
12-22-2018, 01:29 AM
There are tons of vibrant neighborhoods around freeways.

I appreciate your different perspective, Plupan, but you answer questions like this a lot. I asked for examples and you said, "there are tons" of them... and didn't provide a single one. I'd especially like to see any examples of recently built freeways (or "a limited controlled access facility" if you prefer) and a vibrant neighborhood neighborhood popping up around it shortly after. Thanks in advance. That's obviously the hope with the Farmer's Market so it'd be nice to have an example. Is there one with density similar to OKC?

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2018, 02:22 AM
I appreciate your different perspective, Plupan, but you answer questions like this a lot. I asked for examples and you said, "there are tons" of them... and didn't provide a single one. I'd especially like to see any examples of recently built freeways (or "a limited controlled access facility" if you prefer) and a vibrant neighborhood neighborhood popping up around it shortly after. Thanks in advance. That's obviously the hope with the Farmer's Market so it'd be nice to have an example. Is there one with density similar to OKC?
I don’t think that’s a very fair point to make nexus number one this isn’t a freeway(freeway is fully controlled access) and usually new freeways are built far out from existing development or in low density development. But depending on you define vibrant, there are master planned communities around frisco Sam Rayburn Tollway, IIRC, that are somewhat vibrant.

If I do it in time, I’ll edit this post when I get back home and give some specific examples. I know of a few freeways being built and I’m thinking there are some high activity neighborhoods around them.

stile99
12-22-2018, 07:48 AM
See, the thing is, some people are never going to change their minds. You can provide the proof they ask for, they will discount it.

You want one example? Easy. Mustang Road and SW 15th. Damn turnpike isn't even built yet and yet there are at least two different threads on this very forum talking about the development there. "That doesn't count, it hasn't been built yet". OK, fine, you want another example? Highway 4 south of 152 has businesses and neighborhoods that didn't exist until that road was built. Or head east on the 'new' 152 and count all the businesses and neighborhoods that weren't there. What, Mustang isn't a good enough example for you? Drive the 'new' Portland east of the airport, and if you don't see the development there, turn in your license, blind people shouldn't be driving.

dankrutka
12-22-2018, 09:42 AM
But depending on you define vibrant, there are master planned communities around frisco Sam Rayburn Tollway, IIRC, that are somewhat vibrant.

If I do it in time, I’ll edit this post when I get back home and give some specific examples. I know of a few freeways being built and I’m thinking there are some high activity neighborhoods around them.

Thanks. And, yeah, I probably wouldn't consider anything in Frisco very vibrant, but again, I'm happy to be proved wrong. I really am curious if it is possible to have vibrant neighborhoods near "freeways" (and similar developments).

One of the most incredible examples of the destructiveness of freeways is the area between downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum. These are two areas of absolutely explosive growth and there's 4 blocks of deadness between them because of the freeway. It's almost stunning the ways in which freeways kill neighborhoods, which is why highways were used to destroy the neighborhoods of people of color for years. The black community of Tulsa actually rebuilt Greenwood after the Tulsa Race Massacre, but guess what destroyed that neighborhood: 244.

dankrutka
12-22-2018, 09:47 AM
See, the thing is, some people are never going to change their minds. You can provide the proof they ask for, they will discount it.

You want one example? Easy. Mustang Road and SW 15th. Damn turnpike isn't even built yet and yet there are at least two different threads on this very forum talking about the development there. "That doesn't count, it hasn't been built yet". OK, fine, you want another example? Highway 4 south of 152 has businesses and neighborhoods that didn't exist until that road was built. Or head east on the 'new' 152 and count all the businesses and neighborhoods that weren't there. What, Mustang isn't a good enough example for you? Drive the 'new' Portland east of the airport, and if you don't see the development there, turn in your license, blind people shouldn't be driving.

Your "some people" comment is kind of weird when directed at someone honestly asking for alternative perspectives and examples. Yeah, I'm skeptical that vibrant, urban neighborhoods can thrive with freeways, but I'm honestly interested in examples of any exceptions.

And, yeah, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I think you're mistaking subruban car-centric development for urban, walkable neighborhoods, which was what I was at least attempting to ask about. The Farmer's Market is an urban neighborhood that is not built around cars and parking with a hope of increased density, mixed uses, and an active street life.

To that point, is there a lot of walkable, bikeable street activity next to these freeways you mentioned or are we talking about car-centric, suburban developments? Obviously, car-centric freeways and car-centric suburban developments go hand-in-hand, but under what conditions can car-centric freeways and walkable developments succeed next to each other? If you go walk around a freeway in most urban environments (including OKC), you will (almost?) always find that the freeway creates some kind of deadzone. But I am sure in really dense cities there are at least some exceptions, right?

jn1780
12-22-2018, 10:25 AM
What was planned before the organized FBB protests were even worse.

Agreed. The city could lower the BLVD. between Klein and Virgina in the future it wanted to and then there would only be just the one western bridge.

stile99
12-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Your "some people" comment is kind of weird when directed at someone honestly asking for alternative perspectives and examples.

The "some people" was clearly a general statement and not a directed one, but since you bring it up I'll note that in your reply right before this one you were presented with an example and then discounted it.

dankrutka
12-22-2018, 12:13 PM
The "some people" was clearly a general statement and not a directed one, but since you bring it up I'll note that in your reply right before this one you were presented with an example and then discounted it.

There's a big difference between "discounting" an example and questioning whether it applies. I provided a specific explanations in the last couple posts for why I wasn't sure those examples are relevant and then asked for further explanation. I, in fact, didn't dismiss these examples, but instead took them seriously and engaged in a conversation about it. In the case of Frisco, the example wasn't specific, but PluPan did say he would come back and provide specifics. Knowing Frisco a little bit, I couldn't think of anything comparable to the Farmer's Marker or urban development near a highway. But, as I stated in a couple places, I'm looking forward to learning more or being proved wrong about Frisco/Mustang Road & SW 15th. On the latter, I'd love to know more. I checked out the area on Google maps and there does not seem to be a highway there. It seems to be a block away and that may be the source of misunderstanding. I am pointing out that highways kill the areas right near them. They are built for suburban, car-centric areas so that's really not what I was talking about. This can be a big deal for developing urban areas. My bad if I communicated that poorly.

stile99
12-22-2018, 12:30 PM
I'm looking forward to learning more or being proved wrong about Frisco/Mustang Road & SW 15th. On the latter, I'd love to know more.

Like I said, there are multiple threads.

This one (www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43143) might be interesting if you'd really love to know more, but then you'll just say it isn't urban.

Pete
12-23-2018, 01:38 PM
The next small section of the boulevard is now open; between Hudson and Walker.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard122218.jpg

dankrutka
12-23-2018, 02:42 PM
Like I said, there are multiple threads.

This one (www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43143) might be interesting if you'd really love to know more, but then you'll just say it isn't urban.

We're not talking about the same thing. I recognize that. I'll move on.

Plutonic Panda
12-23-2018, 10:09 PM
Thanks. And, yeah, I probably wouldn't consider anything in Frisco very vibrant, but again, I'm happy to be proved wrong. I really am curious if it is possible to have vibrant neighborhoods near "freeways" (and similar developments).

One of the most incredible examples of the destructiveness of freeways is the area between downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum. These are two areas of absolutely explosive growth and there's 4 blocks of deadness between them because of the freeway. It's almost stunning the ways in which freeways kill neighborhoods, which is why highways were used to destroy the neighborhoods of people of color for years. The black community of Tulsa actually rebuilt Greenwood after the Tulsa Race Massacre, but guess what destroyed that neighborhood: 244.
Yeah I hear you. I’m going through the struggle atm but when I get a chance I’ll look through because I am aware of some recent freeway corridors built. Just need to get some links and see if any neighborhoods are around.

I completely get the point about the developments in frisco.

rte66man
12-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Yeah I hear you. I’m going through the struggle atm but when I get a chance I’ll look through because I am aware of some recent freeway corridors built. Just need to get some links and see if any neighborhoods are around.

I completely get the point about the developments in frisco.

This might meet your criteria:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0783885,-96.821423,1115m/data=!3m1!1e3

When I was there in October, there were tons of people walking around.

PaddyShack
12-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Look at how this thing took shape, I think they should have plunged headfirst into debt to bury the blvd and have a tunnel for the S-curve(thingy)/

Anonymous.
12-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Look at how this thing took shape, I think they should have plunged headfirst into debt to bury the blvd and have a tunnel for the S-curve(thingy)/

I am not sure if this post is serious. But in case it is, that would be insanely expensive and for sure massive public outrage would be had for unnecessarily tunneling through a water table to build a street that doesn't need to exist. I cannot wait for the general public to find out about the potential I-235 cap and who will be funding that. Popcorn ready.

Plutonic Panda
12-26-2018, 12:50 PM
I am not sure if this post is serious. But in case it is, that would be insanely expensive and for sure massive public outrage would be had for unnecessarily tunneling through a water table to build a street that doesn't need to exist. I cannot wait for the general public to find out about the potential I-235 cap and who will be funding that. Popcorn ready.
Sad that bold ideas that solve traffic problems and fix the issues that freeways caused like division are met with “this idea can’t be serious.” Expensive? Yes. Good engineering and asset to the community? Yes. A tunnel would have been a great alternative to I-40 and would satisfy both parties. Have two portals and a mid way access point, the grid could be restored, the feds would be satisfied, and this tunnel would have served the community for decades to come.

It’s a great time in OKC where traffic isn’t an issue at the moment. Shall we wait until we get into Austin’s position and have some of the worst in the US? Plan ahead and be smart. There’s always a better way to spend money.

PaddyShack
12-26-2018, 01:18 PM
I guess I was being both, I am a bit serious because a tunnel would have satisfied everyone with the exception of the cost of the project. I understand that it would never have happened completely based on the economics, but I do believe it to be the best solution to this particular problem. I.e, OkDOT and the powers that be wanted easy access in and out of DT, the majority of urbanites wanted the grid restored, and those that don't care either way wouldn't have had to sit and hear all the bickering from both parties... Haha.

jn1780
12-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Just two parties? The "this is insane and expensive" party would get a whole lot more support than the we need the BLVD or just return to grid groups.

I don't think what we have no is bad, if some of the big dirt mound to the west of western is removed. They only left that there to save money.

OKCbyTRANSFER
12-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Part of the I-95 rebuild in Philadelphia (a 40 year plan!) Is to complete the cap through the water front area, the original design capped part of the new freeway back in the 70's when they completed that section. That allowed the city to reconfigure some of the city grid for access as the riverfront was redeveloped. I saw this today in the local newspaper.

Plutonic Panda
12-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Just two parties? The "this is insane and expensive" party would get a whole lot more support than the we need the BLVD or just return to grid groups.

I don't think what we have no is bad, if some of the big dirt mound to the west of western is removed. They only left that there to save money.
My only gripe about the BLVD is 4 things at this point:.

1) Classen disconnect. I wish the bridge structure was larger so Classen and western could stay connected.

2) Lack of bike lanes

3) lack of landscaping

4) I wish it were six lanes instead of four.

Most of that can easily be fixed if desired and landscaping is already in the plans.

jedicurt
12-27-2018, 12:49 PM
My only gripe about the BLVD is 4 things at this point:.

1) Classen disconnect. I wish the bridge structure was larger so Classen and western could stay connected.

2) Lack of bike lanes

3) lack of landscaping

4) I wish it were six lanes instead of four.

Most of that can easily be fixed if desired and landscaping is already in the plans.

i agree with 1-3... but 4 intrigues me... what is your reasons for wanting 6 lanes?

Anonymous.
12-27-2018, 01:01 PM
i agree with 1-3... but 4 intrigues me... what is your reasons for wanting 6 lanes?

You must not read Plu Pan's posts very often :)

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2018, 01:21 PM
LOL! In all honesty, 6 lanes is the least of my concern and I’ll be happy with 4. I’m just thinking realistically now what can be done to enhance what we have.

Once it’s all said and done it won’t really be worth the expense and disruption to widen it to six lanes. Same thing with connecting Classen under a larger bridge superstructure.

Landscaping is in the plans that will be funded by OKC per Pete’s post.

But there doesn’t seem to be any bike lanes. The best solution will be to possibly convert a couple intersections to roundabouts. Narrow the lanes and add more mid block pedestrian HAWK crossings. Consider raised intersections or at least raised crosswalks parallel to the boulevard. And then with the extra room from narrower lanes, construct fully protected bike lanes and have a special signal for cyclists.

They are placing these in LA and would be a good measure to make cyclists more confortable using the BLVD and would make motorists more aware of a cyclists corridor. http://bike.lacity.org/anatomy-of-a-bicycle-friendly-street-bicycle-signals/

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2018, 01:22 PM
PS, I know I have posted it before, but if the city really wants to go all out, build this and be done with it!

https://andrewkstewart.wordpress.com/portfolio/the-better-boulevard-part-i/

Pete
01-10-2019, 06:07 AM
Western is now closed just south of Reno while they improve that intersection.

They have essentially re-built the north half of reno for about .5 mile and are in the process of completing the south half.

Open images in a new tab to see 1500px versions.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard010919a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard010919b.jpg

SEMIweather
01-10-2019, 06:13 PM
Tell me they're at least going to have good lighting, beautification, and wide sidewalks under this overpass?

mugofbeer
01-10-2019, 10:20 PM
They won't even have lights, someone will steal the copper wiring.

soonerguru
01-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Tell me they're at least going to have good lighting, beautification, and wide sidewalks under this overpass?

Expecting reliable lighting of any kind is too much for our big league city.