View Full Version : OKC Boulevard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

catch22
08-23-2018, 07:04 PM
The first block of the current boulevard project is open:

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=44250

Just in time for lane closures for the Omni hotel, Blvd Place, and Convention Center :D

Pete
08-26-2018, 07:04 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard082518a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard082518c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard082518b.jpg

Pete
09-06-2018, 06:06 AM
The section between Robinson and Hudson is now open.

This is the west end, with the Classen/Western intersection in the foreground:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard090318.jpg

Ross MacLochness
09-06-2018, 08:30 AM
^^makes my brain hurt

shawnw
09-06-2018, 10:06 AM
I do like that they're opening up each section as it's ready vs waiting until the whole middle segment is done.

CuatrodeMayo
09-06-2018, 10:09 AM
The photo says it all.

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w620-9347ea93a4d7f3a741aac24d2f1a7e53.jpg
https://newsok.com/article/5607259/oklahoma-city-boulevard-open-from-gaylord-to-hudson-a-break-for-commuters

HangryHippo
09-06-2018, 10:44 AM
The photo says it all.

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w620-9347ea93a4d7f3a741aac24d2f1a7e53.jpg
https://newsok.com/article/5607259/oklahoma-city-boulevard-open-from-gaylord-to-hudson-a-break-for-commuters
Yep. Tremendous waste.

dcsooner
09-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Yep. Tremendous waste.

Please explain??? Overbuilding? not enough traffic demand? what

stile99
09-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Let's get it out of our systems now, so the next time Pete posts an update, we don't have to go through the same whining each time we go through each time Pete posts an update.

"Bad design, what a bunch of maroons, can't believe it, SMH, etc etc etc." There, we good? Or are we going to lather/rinse/repeat?

dankrutka
09-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Sam Anderson's Boom Town has a nice section that talks about the ineptitude of Jim Couch in regards to urban projects. According to the book, he measures everything by how fast he can get home in his car. He's completely dismissive of the Better Boulevard group and resistance calling them something like a "few people on social media." He even justified the need for two highways going through downtown in case there was a wreck on one then the other could prevent slow downs... Lol. He also seems to be completely out of touch with urban design or different perspectives as he doesn't even seem to realize when people disagree with him. Of course, most of this has been reported on this board already. Yet, Couch is the longest serving city manager ever... Why can't OKC get a city manager with knowledge of urban design for, you know, the urban areas?

dankrutka
09-06-2018, 04:17 PM
double post

Jersey Boss
09-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Follow the money. Usually a good place to start.

TheTravellers
09-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Follow the money. Usually a good place to start.

And the good ol' boy thing... I've been wishing Couch would be gone for a long time, he's been city mgr for waaaaaaaaaaay too long.

5alive
09-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Looking at Pete's pic...instead of the overpass being built at the Classen/Western area, wouldn't a beautifully designed traffic circle have worked just as well and would have been a lot less expensive.

shawnw
09-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Oh boy here we go it's five years ago again...

dankrutka
09-07-2018, 01:06 AM
Oh boy here we go it's five years ago again...

To be fair, this isn’t a settled issue. Once ODOT finishes building this, there is already talk of OKC tearing it back up and fixing mistakes. So, the discussion is kind of relevant as there’s already talk off changing it once it’s done.

SEMIweather
09-07-2018, 06:16 AM
To be fair, this isn’t a settled issue. Once ODOT finishes building this, there is already talk of OKC tearing it back up and fixing mistakes. So, the discussion is kind of relevant as there’s already talk off changing it once it’s done.

As there should be. Putting a giant overpass in between Film Row and the Farmers Market already seems shortsighted, and it's not a decision that's going to look better over time...

Urbanized
09-07-2018, 06:32 AM
In fairness that photo will look very different once the south side of the street is fronted by the Omni plus housing and retail space, and the north side may also eventually be fronted by strorefront windows (according to plan). But yeah, the road itself is going to need help.

CloudDeckMedia
09-07-2018, 06:34 AM
I’ve not followed the OKC Boulevard closely, but @dankrutka’s post yesterday and my reading “Boom Town” have brought it to mind. Has the entire boulevard been returned to grade, or will there be some elevated portions? What will be the speed limit and traffic controls? Were bike lanes & pedestrian-friendly elements incorporated? How about landscaping & aesthetics? And what exactly is its PURPOSE? Thanks for the refresher everyone.

Pete
09-07-2018, 07:57 AM
The only part above grade is the overpass that will span Classen/Western, as you can see in my last drone photo in post #783.

As for the purpose, there was a lot of strong-arming by the usual downtown suspects who want cars to move in and out of the CBD as easily as possible. Many advocated for just restoring the street grid, as we already have plenty of E/W thorough fares.

HangryHippo
09-07-2018, 08:32 AM
The only part above grade is the overpass that will span Classen/Western, as you can see in my last drone photo in post #783.

As for the purpose, there was a lot of strong-arming by the usual downtown suspects who want cars to move in and out of the CBD as easily as possible. Many advocated for just restoring the street grid, as we already have plenty of E/W thorough fares.
Exactly. One need only look at your picture to see that we have an OKC Blvd. in Reno Ave., but we just had to build this. It's built, so whatever, but I hope the city can fix it.

shawnw
09-07-2018, 08:42 AM
I was a gridder. But with the complete rejection of that, I advocated for the traffic circle at the public meetings. But alas, Eric was not having it. He had several seemingly reasonable justifications, not that I can remember them with any specificity, but I think they were were all very hypothetical. There's so much changing in this area I don't think we can reasonably predict anything remotely accurate about traffic counts and such.

Pete
09-07-2018, 08:45 AM
But alas, Eric was not having it. He had several seemingly reasonable justifications, not that I can remember them with any specificity, but I think they were were all very hypothetical.

My experience when trying to get straight answers from him is that you initially feel like you've been answered, then later realize most of what you were told was a big brush-off and even that some of it didn't make sense.

dankrutka
09-07-2018, 11:29 AM
The sad lesson from Boom Town is that OKC's history is comprised of too few people with little understanding of, or commitment to, urban development shaping OKC to their own liking... and ultimately to OKC's deteriment. There is a straight historical line from Stanley Draper's visions of sprawl and urban renewal to Jim Couch and ODOT's car-centric visions for the Boulevard. These policies set OKC back. In creating OKC in their own visions, these OKC elites simply mold OKC around their own positionality related to class and race too. It really bothered me how Couch seems to descire OKC be built around and for his commute. Just framing the discussion that way is revealing. Moreover, how often do we discuss the destruction of black neighborhoods for the "innovation" medical district. Jabee describes this tragic history in Anderson's book, but it's just as sad because you can hear the same class/race dismissiveness when Couch talks about the homeless shelter in the book. These white, well-to-do guys think if they build the city they want that it'll trickle down and benefit others, but of course, that's been proved wrong over and over again... particularly because it does not seem they listen to other people with any real interest.

This is why what Pete has done with OKCTalk is so important. He has questioned the way decisions are made in OKC. Democracy is messy, but ultimately, leads to better results because differing viewpoints bring out diverse community needs and interests. It's past time for OKC to reject the good-ole-boy network and aim for democratic, transparent, and just processes so OKC doesn't keep making the same mistakes.

shawnw
09-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Jim Couch and William Couch... any relation?

CloudDeckMedia
09-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Jim Couch and William Couch... any relation?

Current City Manager and OKC’s first mayor? No.

shawnw
09-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Didn't think so but wasn't sure.

CloudDeckMedia
09-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Where did Russell Claus go? Still in the US?

Pete
09-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Where did Russell Claus go? Still in the US?

He took a planning job in some small town in Australia.

Pete
09-07-2018, 12:58 PM
These passages are very telling from Boomtown:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtowncouch2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boomtowncouch1.jpg

dankrutka
09-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I was fuming while reading that part. All of this has been reported on this board, but Anderson brought a lot of stories together in ways that reminded me how much of OKC's potential has been squandered by poor planning over a period of 60 years. The worst part is that even after the destruction of URBAN RENEWAL and sprawl, OKC has learned little and still tears down buildings like it's nothing and designs the the urban core for suburbanites. At least now, there are citizens starting to push back, but it'll take a real movement for things to really change.

jonny d
09-07-2018, 05:03 PM
This wasn't a city proposed boulevard, was it? For some reason I thought it was ODOT.

Mott
09-07-2018, 05:14 PM
can someone refresh my memory, as it appears there are NO pedestrian overpasses linking the Crystal Bridge park with the new park to the river.

Jersey Boss
09-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Dan, #804 was a good read. Pete, thanks for providing a some additional info from the book.

king183
09-07-2018, 06:45 PM
I really hope everyone is participating in the local political scene, pressing your city councilors to answer for this harmful policy. It's enraging stuff to read and see play out, but it can change if we want it to.

Urban Pioneer
09-07-2018, 08:53 PM
I feel like I have lived under a rock. I heard that this book was being written but didn’t fully grasp that the guy got to meet Claus. We (streetcar people) used to call him “the angry koala bear”. He seethed with anger on the inside. We were sympathetic to him and he was to us. We all felt like misunderstood misfits. I was always angry that he didn’t stand up for his ideas and beliefs. Now that I’m a dad, I understand that he was just trying to protect them, keep his salary and fight for his ideas quietly from within.

Pete
09-08-2018, 04:43 AM
I feel like I have lived under a rock. I heard that this book was being written but didn’t fully grasp that the guy got to meet Claus. We (streetcar people) used to call him “the angry koala bear”. He seethed with anger on the inside. We were sympathetic to him and he was to us. We all felt like misunderstood misfits. I was always angry that he didn’t stand up for his ideas and beliefs. Now that I’m a dad, I understand that he was just trying to protect them, keep his salary and fight for his ideas quietly from within.

My understanding was that for a while, he did fight for his ideas.

But he was punished for his way of thinking and learned to try and pick his battles before deciding he was not being allowed to do his job at all, and ended up just quitting in frustration.

We talked about all this here while it was going on.

Sometimes it takes an outsider to shine a light.

Hutch
09-08-2018, 10:09 AM
I really hope everyone is participating in the local political scene, pressing your city councilors to answer for this harmful policy. It's enraging stuff to read and see play out, but it can change if we want it to.

And I hope that everyone takes your message to heart. If you want to transform OKC city government, you just need to transform OKC City Council.

As a council-manager form of government, the city manager is hired (or fired) and directed only by city council. The city manager is solely responsible for hiring (or firing) and directing all city staff and implementing policies. There is actually a state statute that prohibits council members from directing, admonishing or in any other way controlling city staff. Under that statute, a council member can actually be removed from office for blatant disregard of that law. If the city council doesn't like the actions of the city manager and/or the staff or their application of policies, they can either direct the manager to change things or fire the city manager. That's why most city managers tend to move from city to city.

I remember meeting Urban Pioneer in 2009 when I had just gotten involved in the Union Station issue. While I had experience working with Norman city council, I wasn't prepared for the reality of how OKC municipal government operated. I remember Dr. Ed Kessler often stating during one of his Union Station rants that OKC wasn't run by city council, it was run by an "oligarchy". I usually dismissed his comment as just personal bias. It wasn't until Urban educated me on OKC politics and after being involved for several years in the transit effort that I realized Dr. Kessler was essentially correct.

OKC is no different than many cities. Local municipal governments and their policies have historically been dominated by a small group of financial powers. Those powers ensure that city councils are majority filled by those representing their best interests. Those councils then elect city managers who will adhere to the preferred policies of the power players, and the city manager hires staff that will implement those policies. When staff become stymied and frustrated because they can't pursue and implement policies that they believe are in the best interest of the future of the city and its citizens, you lose great progressive minds like Russell Claus, or Garner Stoll before him.

Years before the unfortunate departure of Russell Claus under Jim Couch, former City Manager Glen Deck forced out Planning Director Garner Stoll for progressive urban policies that caused too much indigestion for the powers-that-be:

Sunday Flashback: The Garner Stoll Legacy (https://newsok.com/article/3838155/sunday-flashback-the-garner-stoll-legacy)

In some respects, things have slowly started to change. In many respects, things remain the same. The good news is that all it takes to change the system and the policies is to change the City Council. The simple fact is that the deciding difference between building ODOT's boulevard and reconstructing the grid...or watching traffic congestion continue to worsen and developing a regional transit system is having 5 of 9 votes on city council.

TheTravellers
09-08-2018, 11:47 AM
I will be making a point of asking my new city councilman (whoever it will be, I'm in Ed's ward, so it will be someone other than him shortly) to fire Jim Couch, it's way past time for a change. I'll also be asking all my neighbors to do so, and will be asking Ed about it at Neighbors Night Out this Tuesday when he stops by.

Urban Pioneer
09-08-2018, 05:21 PM
I went and bought a hard back copy of Boom Town today at Commonplace Books in Midtown. I am thrilled that he prominently covered Friends for a Better Boulevard and that whole debate. He really caught the essence of what that was all about. He also correctly recorded that the whole affair started in a OKC Streetcar subcommittee meeting. That was an incredible meeting and I am quite sure that I have a recording of it in the streetcar archives.

Hutch
09-09-2018, 11:01 AM
I will be making a point of asking my new city councilman (whoever it will be, I'm in Ed's ward, so it will be someone other than him shortly) to fire Jim Couch, it's way past time for a change. I'll also be asking all my neighbors to do so, and will be asking Ed about it at Neighbors Night Out this Tuesday when he stops by.

When the citizens' and council's vision for the direction of a city changes, city managers often get replaced because they are unable or unwilling to change too. As a very close and recent example, it somewhat surprisingly just happened in Norman.

City Manager Under Fire (http://www.normantranscript.com/news/local_news/city-manager-under-fire/article_9b638e42-9cac-52d8-8efa-ef9ce9890fff.html)

Council Approves Departure of City Manager (http://www.normantranscript.com/news/council-approves-departure-of-city-manager/article_83d4dd0e-a031-11e8-94f6-87669cd5d650.html)

I'm not going to get into the behind-the-scenes details and will just leave it at this:

The city council and mayor serve at the pleasure of the citizens who elected them...not simply the business community and the powers-that-be. The city manager serves at the pleasure of the city council who hired him and not the other way around. When a city council reaches a majority of members who are progressive-minded and willing to buck the influence of the special few, the city manager is often a casualty of that change if he's caught up on the wrong side of the fight.

Pete
09-09-2018, 11:06 AM
^

It's also important to point out that Couch's appointment pre-dated any of the current council members by a decade.

In other words, he was not appointed by any current elected officials.

And it's not like the City Manager has to be re-approved on some sort of timeline, they just continue on until the council takes it upon themselves to vote them out -- or they step down on their own.

shawnw
09-10-2018, 12:48 AM
How does a vote on the dismissal of the city manager get added to the council agenda?

Hutch
09-10-2018, 08:22 AM
It's my understanding that City Manager employment issues are handled privately in executive session and not publicly as part of the normal City Council agenda.

shawnw
09-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Makes sense I guess. But that means it will never happen. It's probably only the senior council members in executive session.

gopokes88
09-11-2018, 10:03 AM
https://newsok.com/article/5607553/city-to-end-eminent-domain-for-downtown-boulevard-connection-to-bricktown

Pete
09-11-2018, 10:30 AM
^

Much more to come on WHY the city dropped their eminent domain efforts to acquire the Uhaul parking lot.

The city is still scrambling to cover for never acquiring the necessary right of way years and years ago.

hfry
09-11-2018, 11:38 AM
That's 3 high profile eminent domains in this; convention center south of Myriad Gardens and Cusaks parking lot that they have pulled out of persumbaly because they were going to lose and run a higher price tag. Not a good look.

Pete
09-11-2018, 11:54 AM
That's 3 high profile eminent domains in this; convention center south of Myriad Gardens and Cusaks parking lot that they have pulled out of persumbaly because they were going to lose and run a higher price tag. Not a good look.

Yep.

As a reminder, the process is this: When a municipality files for eminent domain the court appoints 3 independent commissioners who conduct research and jointly determine the fair market value. Once the value is firmly established, both parties are obligated.

In this case where the constant drumbeat is that Uhaul is being 'unreasonable', when it comes to this type of court case what they want does not really have much sway. Nor does what the city wants to pay. In other words, Uhaul could be asking for $10 million and the city only wants to pay $1 million and that really doesn't matter because it is no longer a negotiation, but rather an independently determined and binding fair market value.

Same with the Cusack and REHCO properties.

My understanding is that if the city was to take that lot from Uhaul they would have to change their building entrance and other expensive changes would be triggered. And that has to be figured in by the court-appointed commissioners. Very similar to the Cusack situation. With REHCO, the city was just completely unrealistic about the proper value for that original convention center site.

What is troubling is that the city is in the press claiming these property owners are somehow being unreasonable, yet the city itself has bailed on the court proceedings when it becomes apparent the court is about to force them into paying fair market value. So if that's the case, which is the unreasonable party in these negotiations?

And again: Why on earth is the city still trying to resolve this issue when they were the ones that insisted that ODOT build the one and only interesection for Bricktown and the Coop at the Oklahoma Ave. intersection when there was already existing right of way and an rudimentary intersection at Compress which is one block to the west?

This seems like a major FUBAR by public works.

HangryHippo
09-11-2018, 01:03 PM
This seems like a major FUBAR by public works.
Let's be honest - too much of OKC public works is FUBAR.

Urbanized
09-11-2018, 04:29 PM
...With REHCO, the city was just completely unrealistic about the proper value for that original convention center site...

*Edited to reflect that on going back and re-reading your posts about the Ford Center site I'd say you were more making the case REHCO was in no hurry to develop that site and made an obvious "go away" valuation rather than that they were being predatory. I just recalled them being vilified and called "money grubbers" (by other posters).

T. Jamison
09-11-2018, 04:48 PM
One issue is that the City waits too long to pull the trigger. The date of value estimate is not set until the commissioners file their report. So the City expects to pay what they budgeted in the planning process, but doesn't account for the significant increase in property value due to the project it was being taken for. It could be reasonable to instruct the commissioners to exclude any speculative sales with project influence, but not years after the project was announce and the entire market has become speculative. Otherwise, one could argue the property owners are not justly compensated as per the Oklahoma Constitution.

CloudDeckMedia
09-14-2018, 10:09 AM
OKC Boulevard is now fully open, both directions, between Hudson & Lincoln.

Pete
09-14-2018, 11:03 AM
From yesterday:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard091318.jpg

PaddyShack
09-14-2018, 11:04 AM
I love seeing the streetcars out and about!

hfry
09-14-2018, 11:21 AM
I looked up one of the renderings because I was curious how the sidewalks would connect with this streetcar stop. It might have changed but this was the one I found;1490714907

CloudDeckMedia
09-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Nice aerial!

LuccaBrasi
09-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know what level of landscape will take place once this is completed? I seem to recall once reading they would not landscape until it's complete. I sure hope that's the case and we're not looking at what the city/ODOT typically do in minimalist, if any, landscape with 1/2 caliper trees that die after one hard summer. I know what the renderings show, but those are just renderings, does anyone know what the real plan for landscape includes for medians, etc?

Pete
09-26-2018, 02:17 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618c.jpg

Pete
09-26-2018, 02:24 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard092618g.jpg