View Full Version : OKC Boulevard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

bradh
01-17-2018, 03:51 PM
biggest disappointment driving around OKC this past weekend for the first time in a while? no signs of this road being completed by the end of this decade

Pete
01-17-2018, 03:53 PM
biggest disappointment driving around OKC this past weekend for the first time in a while? no signs of this road being completed by the end of this decade

They have been doing some utility work and should be starting very soon.

The entire remaining piece is only about a mile long so hopefully it won't take them tremendously long, although the part near Western is quite complex.

bradh
01-17-2018, 03:54 PM
They have been doing some utility work and should be starting very soon.

The entire remaining piece is only about a mile long so hopefully it won't take them tremendously long, although the part near Western is quite complex.

Yeah, well, you have more faith than I do :)

Pete
01-17-2018, 04:05 PM
Yeah, well, you have more faith than I do :)

The contracts have actually been let!

And I've seen the utility work all along the path.

bradh
01-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Beer bet it's not done by end of 2019? :)

Pete
01-17-2018, 04:09 PM

Oh, probably not. Not even sure of the timeline but road construction projects take forever here.

jerrywall
01-17-2018, 04:14 PM
What I can't figure out, is that when they had to replace the I-40 bridge over the Arkansas river, they put time requirements and incentives in the bid, and it was done pretty quickly. I seem to recall the I-235/I44 work has similar clauses (and although it seems like it's forever, I feel like they're moving quickly considering the complexity). So why isn't this done more often?

Pete
01-17-2018, 04:17 PM
What I can't figure out, is that when they had to replace the I-40 bridge over the Arkansas river, they put time requirements and incentives in the bid, and it was done pretty quickly. I seem to recall the I-235/I44 work has similar clauses (and although it seems like it's forever, I feel like they're moving quickly considering the complexity). So why isn't this done more often?

Because it costs more, i.e. you don't get the lowest possible bids.

jerrywall
01-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Because it costs more, i.e. you don't get the lowest possible bids.

Makes sense. Although it seems the the BLVD would be enough of a priority to justify it. Although I guess they may not consider time sensitive.

bradh
01-17-2018, 06:42 PM
What I'd like to see more of is more design/build work where you get an owner/design firm/contractor all working together towards a common goal, but people freak out that you don't get the lowest price. Well, with lowest bid, you don't always get the best work, quickest work, or good relationships between those three parties (cheaper bidders tend to nickel and dime owners and engineer's with change orders, driving up costs and increasing delays).

jn1780
01-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Makes sense. Although it seems the the BLVD would be enough of a priority to justify it. Although I guess they may not consider time sensitive.

Its been 6 years since the new I-40 opened and the city seems to be running fine so far.

jn1780
01-17-2018, 08:14 PM

If they actually get started within the next month or two, maybe. Key projects usually progress relatively fast once they actually get started. Its the starting part that we struggle with.

jerrywall
01-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Its been 6 years since the new I-40 opened and the city seems to be running fine so far.

Ya know what they say about opinions....

Scott5114
01-18-2018, 01:02 AM
I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I'm curious what's going to happen once they get OKC Blvd completed and it begins handling a full traffic load.

Right now, you can get on OKC Blvd just west of Western, and it it dumps you off onto I-40 around Agnew. At that point, if you want to get onto westbound I-44, you have about 1/2 mile to cross 5 or 6 lanes of traffic on I-40. It's already tough to do with the small amount of traffic using that small piece of OKC Blvd. I can't imagine doing it once the Boulevard is open and carrying max traffic. It will be impossible during rush hour.

FHWA strongly discourages left exits, for this reason among others. The proper thing to do would be to reconfigure the interchange to have all I-44 traffic get off on the current I-44 East ramp, which would then fork and westbound I-44 traffic would be carried over the interchange on a flyover bridge.

Of course, ODOT specializes in being a disappointment, so I doubt that would happen any sooner than 2030, if ever.

Roger S
01-18-2018, 05:11 AM
Ya know what they say about opinions....

That the person with that opinion hasn’t had to drive through all the detours getting to work since the boulevard was started?

jerrywall
01-18-2018, 06:56 AM
That the person with that opinion hasn’t had to drive through all the detours getting to work since the boulevard was started?

Hah. That's what I'm guessing.

jn1780
01-18-2018, 07:58 AM
Since I'm forming opinions..........
Seems like most of those detours have been project 180 related and now streetcar or park related. The worst part was when shields was closed and that's over now.

Roger S
01-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Since I'm forming opinions..........
Seems like most of those detours have been project 180 related and now streetcar or park related. The worst part was when shields was closed and that's over now.

Not the ones I've been driving through.... All have been boulevard related.

HangryHippo
01-18-2018, 04:09 PM
I'm sure it's been asked (hell, I may have the been one to ask at some point and just can't remember/find it), but is there a reason that OKC didn't just use Reno for a crosstown boulevard? Was this ever addressed anywhere?

Pete
01-18-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm sure it's been asked (hell, I may have the been one to ask at some point and just can't remember/find it), but is there a reason that OKC didn't just use Reno for a crosstown boulevard? Was this ever addressed anywhere?

Yes, there was lots of discussion about just forgetting the boulevard altogether, restoring the street grid and letting streets like Reno just handle the traffic.

catch22
01-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Wasn't there some talk of Reno going on a diet in Bricktown? Seems like 4-5 years ago something came out about closing some lanes and converting them to parallel parking.

WitWhy
01-19-2018, 12:45 AM
FHWA strongly discourages left exits, for this reason among others. The proper thing to do would be to reconfigure the interchange to have all I-44 traffic get off on the current I-44 East ramp, which would then fork and westbound I-44 traffic would be carried over the interchange on a flyover bridge.

Of course, ODOT specializes in being a disappointment, so I doubt that would happen any sooner than 2030, if ever.

at least ODOT has plans to widen the I-40 bridges over I-44 in 2024... but they should just not waste that money and put it toward an entirely new interchange that is designed by someone from TxDOT or any other DOT that knows how to design a proper interchange.

Plutonic Panda
01-19-2018, 04:09 AM
at least ODOT has plans to widen the I-40 bridges over I-44 in 2024... but they should just not waste that money and put it toward an entirely new interchange that is designed by someone from TxDOT or any other DOT that knows how to design a proper interchange.
I believe OkDOT is planning on a complete replacement of the I-40/I-44 Interchange. I think the bridge widening is the first part of that. We could see a proposal this year. I’m not sure.

I’m hoping Cornett gets into the governors office because I’m thinking he would be for increasing OkDOTs budget. As much crap as I give OkDOT, it really isn’t all their fault. They do share some blame, but their budget levels are awful.

Not sure if anyone saw, but an infrastructure package was released today by the US Chamber. I’ll probably make a post about it in the politics thread if no one else does.

Urbanized
01-19-2018, 09:38 PM
Wasn't there some talk of Reno going on a diet in Bricktown? Seems like 4-5 years ago something came out about closing some lanes and converting them to parallel parking.

Continues to be discussed.

bradh
01-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Man that would be such an improvement to make Reno like it is south of Myriad the same way all the way to Lincoln

Urbanized
01-19-2018, 09:54 PM
It was a priority identified by Bricktown stakeholders this week in the Downtown OKC Partnership’s district planning sessions.

Scott5114
01-20-2018, 03:20 AM
As much crap as I give OkDOT, it really isn’t all their fault. They do share some blame, but their budget levels are awful.

I mean, yeah, funding helps, but all of the budget excuses in the world don't justify something like this.
https://i.imgur.com/hHkWFSl.jpg

(for those who haven't seen this before, yes, this is a real sign OkDOT put up)

Plutonic Panda
01-20-2018, 05:09 AM
Yeah I can not in good faith justify anything OkDOT has done with its signing.

jerrywall
01-20-2018, 05:23 AM
I mean, yeah, funding helps, but all of the budget excuses in the world don't justify something like this.
https://i.imgur.com/hHkWFSl.jpg

What does that small sign say? I can't read it....

Scott5114
01-20-2018, 12:48 PM
"Entering Craig County/County Road Speed Limit/45 MPH/Unless otherwise posted"

It's a standard sign that appears at many county lines where the county has set its default speed limit to something other than the state default of 55 mph. Some counties (e.g. McClain) do not use this sign and just post the speed limit on each road. Most rural counties don't have the money for that many signs, so they have OkDOT post this sign instead. It's that small because it won't apply to the vast majority of traffic (most of which will stay on the state highway system); it's mostly there to satisfy legal requirements that the speed be posted.

rte66man
01-20-2018, 01:02 PM

That interchange was designed nearly 60 years ago. It was considered state of the art back then. ODOT may have it's quirks, but they have come a LONG way since then.

TheTravellers
01-20-2018, 01:47 PM

Ha, so true - money can't fix stupid (maybe they're not *all* stupid, but money can't fix old, outdated, poor ways of thinking about DOT things).

Buffalo Bill
02-16-2018, 01:23 PM
http://newsok.com/final-construction-underway-for-oklahoma-city-boulevard/article/5583610

gopokes88
02-16-2018, 02:58 PM
I hope fix the boulevard and rebuild it like it was supposed to be built before ODOT mucked it up is on maps4

OKC2017
02-18-2018, 06:36 AM
there is land clearing on the track of okc blvd from gaylord to walker; i assume this signals that construction on this stretch has begun. i can also guess that this sector of the blvd. will be pedestrian friendly because it connects bricktown, chesapeake, streetcar terminal, park + convention center + hotel and is pretty darn close to myriad, devon, bok plaza as it runs adjacent to reno and sheridan.

Laramie
02-18-2018, 09:47 AM
If they actually get started within the next month or two, maybe. Key projects usually progress relatively fast once they actually get started. Its the starting part that we struggle with.

Having spent time in Texas, you come to know that Texans get things done. Much admiration for Oklahoma, we tend to get caught up in the initial talks, plans etc., once we get past this hurdle as jn1780 mentioned, progress accelerates.

Can say that OKC MAPS progress & momentum have moved us in the direction to hasten growth. This is evident in many recent projects like Riversport Rapids, Streetcar, Scissortail Park...

ChrisHayes
02-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Yeah, construction has commenced. I'm interested in seeing how they make the bridge go across Western and Classen and connect it to the section of the Boulevard coming off 40.

OKCisOK4me
02-18-2018, 11:08 AM
Yeah, construction has commenced. I'm interested in seeing how they make the bridge go across Western and Classen and connect it to the section of the Boulevard coming off 40.
Check out Pete's post, #346 on pg 14 of this thread. Classen only goes through to a T intersection at Reno.

jn1780
02-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Check out Pete's post, #346 on pg 14 of this thread. Classen only goes through to a T intersection at Reno.

Yeah and Western only goes through to a T intersection at Sheridan. Classen goes underneath the boulevard and curves into Western and Reno. There is no access to the Blvd from these two roads until you get to the Reno and Boulevard interchange which is pretty much the result of forcing ODOT to redesign this section. It was a super bridge that went over Western, Classen, Reno and all the smaller sub-streets. One more point of access is better than nothing I guess.

Plutonic Panda
02-19-2018, 01:31 PM
I would have rather seen the super bridge structure been built as I think it would have been better for the area allowing more access. Now it’s nust cut off. OkDOT has really f@cked this project up and if OKC wants to do it right it will cost a lot of money.

catch22
02-19-2018, 03:14 PM
We have a great grid. The best solution would have been to not build it. Literally forcing a road in where we have plenty.

Plutonic Panda
02-19-2018, 04:15 PM
I disagree. Not everything has to be a grid and in my opinion, grids are boring when that makes up the whole city. It’s nice to have some diagonal and winding roads but they way this road is being constructed sucks.

baralheia
02-20-2018, 03:03 PM
I am still supremely disappointed that we couldn't get something like the Market Circle concept done at the Boulevard/Classen intersection... https://andrewkstewart.wordpress.com/category/ideas/urban-design/the-new-oklahoma-city-boulevard/

_Cramer_
02-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Would have been awesome! This city isn't ready for it. People couldn't handle something like that.

shawnw
02-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Heavy construction equipment out in full force on western end this morning, removing concrete barriers and such.

HangryHippo
02-26-2018, 12:45 PM
I am still supremely disappointed that we couldn't get something like the Market Circle concept done at the Boulevard/Classen intersection... https://andrewkstewart.wordpress.com/category/ideas/urban-design/the-new-oklahoma-city-boulevard/
Me too. This would have been perfect.

Pete
02-28-2018, 11:53 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard022818b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard022818a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard022818c.jpg

Roger S
02-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Well so far they've missed their schedule on street closures/detours on the west end of this... Sure hope that's not a sign of things to come or they won't finish this until about 2025.

OUman
02-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Kind of off-topic but I got grand views of all of this stuff when I worked as a contractor helping out with the BOk Park Plaza moves. Will be nice to finally see the east and west ends connected, with the street car, park and everything else. Imagining how it will all look a decade from now.

Pete
03-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Just took these... Both Classen and Western are closed between Sheridan and Reno:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard030718a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boulevard030718b.jpg

HangryHippo
03-07-2018, 02:32 PM
I will NEVER understand why the hell we couldn't have just used Reno.

Pete
03-07-2018, 02:38 PM
I really pity people working downtown.

Construction projects in every direction.

Roger S
03-07-2018, 03:01 PM
I really pity people working downtown.

Construction projects in every direction.

Been dealing with it since about 2014.... Keeps the drive to work mysterious and exciting!

Pete
03-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Been dealing with it since about 2014.... Keeps the drive to work mysterious and exciting!

That is a very good attitude! Also, you can walk over to the Jones or Flashback or Stonecloud and wait out rush hour.

And several new places to come soon.

Roger S
03-07-2018, 03:43 PM
That is a very good attitude! Also, you can walk over to the Jones or Flashback or Stonecloud and wait out rush hour.

And several new places to come soon.

Yep... Stonecloud is a pretty popular spot with several of us after work on Fridays and someone usually hits them on their way to the golf course once our Thursday night golf crew fires back up... Which will be in a few weeks with the time changing Sunday.

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2018, 06:03 PM
I will NEVER understand why the hell we couldn't have just used Reno.
I support the concept of the Boulevard but I hate how they’re disconnecting this area and can’t wait for this thing to be built so discussions can begin on how to remove or modify it. If they are insisting on a bridge for here which I could get behind if it’s done right, carry it over Reno and keep from closing off a street and having an awkward intersection. That or keep the entire thing at grade but this plan sucks!

OKCbyTRANSFER
03-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Or living downtown, I hit so many detours last Friday going to work, wound up turned in opposite direction and in Bricktown. Glad I left early that day ��

shawnw
03-11-2018, 06:40 PM
It's a complete pain getting to Farmers market right now from downtown.

Zuplar
03-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Is that part of the boulevard (western, classes, Reno) at grade or raised? Seems like that’d be a ridiculous amount of intersections if it was.

OKCisOK4me
03-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Is that part of the boulevard (western, classes, Reno) at grade or raised? Seems like that’d be a ridiculous amount of intersections if it was.

Over Western, Classen doesn't go thru, as the blvd is coming down to grade for a diagonal intersection with Reno.