View Full Version : The Vue Apartments

LocoAko
12-16-2014, 09:09 AM
While driving to work this morning I finally noticed a sign at the construction on the SW Corner of Imhoff and Chautauqua for The Vue apartments, behind the 7/11. I only caught a glimpse of the sign, but the website seems like a pretty nice urban, 4-story + roof apartment building. Anyone have any other info? This is the type of project I love seeing in Norman! I'm not familiar with McKinney Partnership Architects but it looks like they do some pretty nice work. I apologize if I missed a past thread on this... I was surprised to have heard no talk of this yet.

The Vue (http://www.tmparch.com/project/the-vue)

http://www.tmparch.com/Images/projects/On%20The%20Boards/The%20Vue-OTB2.jpg

http://www.tmparch.com/Images/projects/On%20The%20Boards/VUE%20front%20(7-17-14).jpg

Wheres_my_shirt
12-16-2014, 02:53 PM
I've seen this area as well. First impression is the land it's on is not very big at all.

I wish that Norman could get a few more better placed housing units. Take a look at these apartments, the ones being built by the Braums on Lindsey, and the ones that were built right south of Highway 9. They are in remote or oddly placed sections. I'd like to see the old, decrepit apartments around campus to be taken over and rebuilt. Getting some downtown housing would be nice as well.

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm jealous of Norman. I wish Edmond would get some cool projects like this. :p

UrbanNorman
12-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Rick McKinney is a really good architect, although I'm most familiar with his single family residential work he's done. I dig it, but do agree that the location isn't ideal. I see this as yet another car dependent project.

Jersey Boss
12-16-2014, 04:04 PM
I've seen this area as well. First impression is the land it's on is not very big at all.

I wish that Norman could get a few more better placed housing units. Take a look at these apartments, the ones being built by the Braums on Lindsey, and the ones that were built right south of Highway 9. They are in remote or oddly placed sections. I'd like to see the old, decrepit apartments around campus to be taken over and rebuilt. Getting some downtown housing would be nice as well.

Are you kidding me or what? I find it patently ridiculous that an apt. location on one of the main E-W thorough streets, less than a mile from the campus on the same street as the football stadium as being in a remote or oddly placed section. That's nuts.

Jersey Boss
12-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Rick McKinney is a really good architect, although I'm most familiar with his single family residential work he's done. I dig it, but do agree that the location isn't ideal. I see this as yet another car dependent project.

I think that CART serves this area as far as getting to the campus. l imagine that will be the primary destination of most who would live there.

hfry
12-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Exactly, this is less than a mile from the buses at Loyd noble that take student to campus as well as right across the street from traditions which has a buss loop as well. I have driven by it everyday and been envious it wasn't a few years earlier since I am about to graduate.

Wheres_my_shirt
12-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Are you kidding me or what? I find it patently ridiculous that an apt. location on one of the main E-W thorough streets, less than a mile from the campus on the same street as the football stadium as being in a remote or oddly placed section. That's nuts.

I agree with you on the location being a good one. What I meant was that it had to build AROUND existing structures, behind the Braums, wrap around the gas station, squeeze into an odd shaped area. That's all I meant. If they had a good plot of land, kind of like across the duck pond, so it had some room to breathe and get more naturally built structures around it, then I would feel better. Where it is just looks and feels unnatural

UrbanNorman
12-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Good point about the buses at Lloyd Noble. I used to live in a house near there in college, but it's been awhile so I had forgotten about the stop at LN.

As far as the apartments being built on Lindsey near the Braum's (The Millenium), I do think those could be in a better location. Yes, they are very close to campus, but I guarantee you Classen will serve as a divide for students who would otherwise be willing to walk to class. That intersection, from a walkability perspective, is just about as bad as Classen in OKC. I am also doubtful that this project will spur any further "smart" development in that area or add to the type of density necessary to encourage commuter rail in the future. However, it's close and through a road diet and other improvements along Classen and Lindsey at and near that intersection, it may fit the bill.

That being said, the straight line distance of this project from campus is ideal and I would love to see more quality medium/high density development within that same distance around the periphery of campus.

LocoAko
01-14-2015, 01:58 PM
For anyone interested, here's the official website for the project along with a sign up to be on the waiting list:

The Vue | A Unique Vision (http://thevueou.com/)