View Full Version : I-40 MWC, Wall Collapse

bombermwc
12-15-2014, 07:12 AM
So the news, like always, put a more inflammatory title on the article than what really happened. Damage on I-40 bridge over SE 29th Street impacting morning commute | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/partial-bridge-collapse-on-interstate-40-over-se-29th-street/30230144) However, this still brings up something ODOT needs to take a look at. This is an incredibly sharp curve as I-40 turns on a dime to avoid running into Tinker. You'll often see accidents from motorists (especially semis) when it's rainy or snowy because the curve is deceptively sharp and with the angle, just makes bad things happen. There's plenty of room to smooth out the curve and should really be focused on.

It's not nearly as bad as the Bell Isle NW Xway exit, but it's not turning to go between bridge pillars either (which could also have been design waaaay better). But much like that NWX exit, you can see tire marks and broken guard-fencing on the west-bound lane. It's no wonder to me that after years and years of being slammed in to, that the wall finally gave way. I'm just very thankful that no vehicles ended up jumping the remainder and falling between the two bridges or that someone on 29th street wasn't unlucky enough to be driving under the bridge at the time!

I don't actually remember if this bridge was slated in the ODOT plans to be replaced or not. I remember the 15th street one on the map, but I think this one was just a resurfacing. Methinks its time to change that plan.

Snowman
12-15-2014, 07:09 PM
So the news, like always, put a more inflammatory title on the article than what really happened. Damage on I-40 bridge over SE 29th Street impacting morning commute | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/partial-bridge-collapse-on-interstate-40-over-se-29th-street/30230144) However, this still brings up something ODOT needs to take a look at. This is an incredibly sharp curve as I-40 turns on a dime to avoid running into Tinker. You'll often see accidents from motorists (especially semis) when it's rainy or snowy because the curve is deceptively sharp and with the angle, just makes bad things happen. There's plenty of room to smooth out the curve and should really be focused on.

It's not nearly as bad as the Bell Isle NW Xway exit, but it's not turning to go between bridge pillars either (which could also have been design waaaay better). But much like that NWX exit, you can see tire marks and broken guard-fencing on the west-bound lane. It's no wonder to me that after years and years of being slammed in to, that the wall finally gave way. I'm just very thankful that no vehicles ended up jumping the remainder and falling between the two bridges or that someone on 29th street wasn't unlucky enough to be driving under the bridge at the time!

I don't actually remember if this bridge was slated in the ODOT plans to be replaced or not. I remember the 15th street one on the map, but I think this one was just a resurfacing. Methinks its time to change that plan.

In the 8 year plan it looks like that is one of the few bridges of i40 east of the split with i35 up for work in the next several years, though it looks like the curve itself might be getting some work.