View Full Version : Recommendations please

gemgirl
09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Since I'm new to the forums here, I thought this would be a good jumping-off point. I'm finishing up the complete and uncut version of Stephen King's The Stand, and I wanted to know if anyone around here has read anything good lately that they would recommend. I've read just about everything Ann Rice has written, and I've read a fairly decent amount of Stephen King. But I'll read just about anything but romance. Let me know!

Karried
09-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Oh how funny, I'm in the middle of reading the uncut version of The Stand right now! I read the original years ago and just started this a few weeks ago (only able to read a little at a time with my schedule).

Have you read Rose Madder? That was interesting... I just read The Langoliers recently.

This is one of my favorite books ever written

"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Folett - it is amazing.

I like a wide variety of books, and for a change of pace and easy reading, (if you are into Ireland at all - more like life stories told really convincingly, you really get to know the characters). I love Maeve Binchy - some titles you might recognize - Circle of Friends, Firefly Summer, Tara Road, Echoes, Light a Penny Candle, Silver Wedding ... they are not mushy romance novels which I don't like at all - I can't put her books down. Try to read just one of the above and let me know if you like her writing style.

MadMonk
09-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Wow! You two are freaking me out. I'm re-reading The Stand as well. I'm at the point where they are just getting to Boulder, CO.

Are you both King fans? Have your read any of the Dark Tower series? Its great (albeit strange) stuff.

Karried
09-02-2005, 08:28 AM
No way! That is freaky ... I'm at the beginning still - every time I start reading I have to go to work!

Yuk... I'm at the part where the deaf man released the prisoner and is searching for help... I read it years ago and can't remember most of it.

I loved the Dark Towers - read them long ago, but what ever happened to the later that were supposed to be written? Did he write the last of the series? I remember the giant lobsters!

MadMonk
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
The Lobstrosities! Yikes! LOL

Yes, he's completed the Dark Tower series. Seven in all. I've only gotten through the first 5. It just gets stranger and stranger. :)

gemgirl
09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the recommendations Karried. I know I sound like a total dork, but I started reading The Stand on Memorial Day weekend, and I have about 100 pages left and I hate that it's ending! It's like these characters have been a part of my life for 3 months now, and most are dying or meeting other horrible fates. Argh! I thought Rose Madder was excellent. So far, the only one of his that I didn't like was Bag of Bones. I tried it twice, got thru about 1/3 of it, and gave up twice. I thought about starting the Dark Tower series, maybe I'll do that soon. What genre does Ken Folett write?

kahloist
09-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Drawing Blood & Lost Souls are two GREAT books :congrats: . If you like Anne Rice and want a bit more lust and graphic scenes then Poppy Z. Brite would be a great author to check out.

http://www.bookslut.com/features/2004_09_003129.php