View Full Version : Deep fork grill

amandagall5
10-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Can someone tell me what was at the Deep Fork Grill location before it became Deep Fork? It's really bugging me that I can't remember the name!

Pete
10-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Portobello.

And before that, Two Pesos.

foodiefan
10-19-2014, 05:01 PM
I know it was Portabello for a while. . .part of the Coach House brand at the time.

amandagall5
10-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks!

Pete
10-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Looks like it switched from Portobello to Deep Fork in 1997.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Portobello.

And before that, Two Pesos.

wouldn't "Dos Pesos" have been more authentic?

Plutonic Panda
10-19-2014, 05:27 PM
wouldn't "Dos Pesos" have been more authentic?contini

Jeepnokc
10-19-2014, 05:33 PM
wouldn't "Dos Pesos" have been more authentic?

Two Pesos and the name was as authentic as their mexican food was.

Pete
10-19-2014, 05:40 PM
The Two Pesos story is interesting...

They started in Houston just as Taco Cabana was getting rolling in San Antonio. Ultimately, TC sued TP and the case went all the way to the supreme court before Cabana won a multi-million dollar judgment for stealing their "trade dress". The case is still taught in law classes.

Ultimately, TP just sold out to TC. Was an easy transition since all the Two Pesos were complete rip-offs of their concept; basically just painted and changed the signs.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Two Pesos and the name was as authentic as their mexican food was.
like ^

RadicalModerate
10-19-2014, 06:29 PM
contini
custinos

OKCretro
10-20-2014, 09:00 AM
I remember two pesos had 2 lines in the drive thru, which as a kid at the time thought was pretty amazing. Took another 20 years for McDonalds to copy

Pete
10-20-2014, 09:07 AM
^

I did some consulting work in the 'quick service' industry and by far and away the biggest bottleneck in the drive-thru process is people parked in front of the menu, taking forever to order. So, the two lanes helps to alleviate that.

Also, several companies are experimenting with centralizing their order taking. Rather than have someone with a headset in the restaurant, the communication at the drive-thru menu goes to a centralized call center and then the order is transmitted back to the restaurant. It's far more efficient all the way around.

I haven't seen it yet but I bet Taco Bell soon goes to a two lane drive-thru. They have their food prep down to a very fast science but again, the bottleneck is the soccer mom parked at the menu, trying to figure out what Johnnie wants to eat.

Buffalo Bill
10-20-2014, 04:16 PM
I remember two pesos had 2 lines in the drive thru, which as a kid at the time thought was pretty amazing. Took another 20 years for McDonalds to copy

I'm fairly sure that you could order one of their fairly horrible frozen margaritas at the drive in window, too. Not sure how that's legal.

Pete
07-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Not long after MidFirst acquired this property (and several others to the north) from Chesapeake, Deep Fork Grill is closed.

I was told their staff has already been reassigned and MidFirst chose not to renew their lease.

I also understand that Deep Fork (part of the Deep Fork Restaurant Group: Barrel, Drunken Fry, Drum Room, etc.) had spent time and money on rebranding / relaunching and that MidFirst just told them 'no thanks'.

BTW, MF paid CHK $875,000 after CHK and Aubrey had paid $4.5 million (!!) in 2008.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/deepfork070517a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/deepfork070517b.jpg

jbkrems
07-05-2017, 09:11 PM
So is it closed permanently, or are they looking for a new operator ???

Teo9969
07-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Not happy for people to have lost their jobs, but I'm so happy to see that place go. It was an homage to a terrible time in OKC and a picture of what happens when something falls from grace. There are too many good restaurants in OKC these days for people to still be going there and *glowing* about it.

barrettd
07-06-2017, 06:14 AM
Not happy for people to have lost their jobs, but I'm so happy to see that place go. It was an homage to a terrible time in OKC and a picture of what happens when something falls from grace. There are too many good restaurants in OKC these days for people to still be going there and *glowing* about it.

Agreed. I liked the space and the location, but the food was never all that great. I had a friend involved in the ownership group, so we went occasionally, but even when the food was free it was still pretty mediocre. Would be nice to see a different restaurant effort in that space.

OKCretro
07-06-2017, 11:25 AM
was the building home to a two pesos restaurant/fast food place ?
some reason my memory thinks it was. They had a 2 lane drive thru as I recall

Pete
07-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Yes, was originally a Two Pesos, then Portabello then switched to Deep Fork around 1997.

hoya
07-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Yeah I ate at that place maybe twice, and it wasn't good either time. I can't say I'll miss it at all.

Urbanized
07-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Portabello was underrated. For a while anyway.

Also, I think although Deep Fork had gotten long in the tooth, Deep Fork and DFG were important to the local food scene here. They grew out of a time when few cared about local, and they did some adventurous stuff for the time, for the city in question. Legitimately led the way toward the present local scene, and I know they trained a number of the people who are now killing it here with other places.

I heard that when Wade had his much-publicized troubles he and his partners started ways and he took some of the properties and they took others, which included the namesake restaurant. If that's true, I think it becomes fair to say that maybe Wade really was the driving force behind the group, as they faltered after. Which of course doesn't change the anything about the trouble he placed himself in personally.

Pete
07-06-2017, 02:12 PM
You also have to take into consideration the passing of Aubrey McClendon who was one of the principal owners here.

ksearls
07-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Also, I think although Deep Fork had gotten long in the tooth, Deep Fork and DFG were important to the local food scene here. They grew out of a time when few cared about local, and they did some adventurous stuff for the time, for the city in question. Legitimately led the way toward the present local scene, and I know they trained a number of the people who are now killing it here with other places.

Absolutely agree. It used to be great, the go to place - and influenced many who are in the business today.

RustytheBailiff
07-06-2017, 03:18 PM
I miss two pesos -- had many cheap meals in that place -- hard to figure what Mid First will do with the property and why they didn't renew the lease.

ctchandler
07-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Two Pesos was really pretty good food, especially their tacos. They were several steps above the normal Taco Bell type stores. We took some friends from Spokane to Portabello's and had an excellent dinner.
C. T.

SoonerDave
07-07-2017, 07:37 AM
We only had occasion to visit Deep Fork once for an anniversary dinner for my aunt and uncle several years ago, and enjoyed it very much. As much as we liked it, and wanted to return, the location is just kinda "out there" and was easy to forget when thinking about a special or different place to eat out. Same thing applied when it was Portobello's.

Sounds to me like MidFirst has other plans for the property, and the building may not be among them...

Pete
07-07-2017, 07:46 AM
MidFirst likely has another restaurant tenant.

They have longer term plans for all the property but i don't think anything is going to happen there soon.

traxx
07-07-2017, 08:38 AM
I didn't eat at DF that often but when I did, I was pleased. I booked a private table there once for an anniversary dinner for my wife and I. When we got there they told us the previous party was still finishing up. They ended up staying much longer than had been anticipated so they apologized profusely and gave us free drinks and appetizers while we waited. They offered us another table and I said I really wanted to wait. When we were finally seated our waiter told us our meals were comped so order anything we wanted. They didn't have to do that. It really wasn't their fault. But I always appreciated the customer service that I got there.

barrettd
07-07-2017, 11:53 AM

I heard that when Wade had his much-publicized troubles he and his partners started ways and he took some of the properties and they took others, which included the namesake restaurant. If that's true, I think it becomes fair to say that maybe Wade really was the driving force behind the group, as they faltered after. Which of course doesn't change the anything about the trouble he placed himself in personally.

I don't think this is accurate. Wade's issues extended far past the restaurant group, and Deep Fork was his baby. It had started going bad several years before he left the DFG. I am not even certain Wade took any properties with him, as he was in no position to run them when they parted ways. He hasn't even worked at a DFG restaurant in several years, much less owned one, that I know of.

Urbanized
07-08-2017, 06:48 AM
^^^^^
I acknowledged that his troubles extended past the group. This was much-publicized. I could be wrong about him taking anything in the split, but what I was TOLD was that he still had Drum a Room and maybe another. None of this I'm sure of, and I could be completely wrong about it.

The point I was making was that this particular restaurant seemed to start faltering about the time he left.

mkjeeves
07-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Yep. It was great at one time, but not recently.

barrettd
07-10-2017, 09:02 AM
The point I was making was that this particular restaurant seemed to start faltering about the time he left.

And I'm just saying, for me, the restaurant's food quality started lacking a while before he left. The service was always outstanding, though.

Pete
07-10-2017, 09:21 AM
I was told they did more business from catering than dine-in.

TheTravellers
07-17-2020, 12:23 PM
Lackmeyer said today in his chat that there's been a permit filed for demolition.

Pete
07-17-2020, 12:30 PM
Yep.

Hasn't been issued yet and I went by there yesterday and nothing is happening yet.

I don't think there is any kind of deal working there. Midfirst still owns the property and will likely continue to sit on it as they have all the property to the north which they also bought from Chesapeake several years ago.

Martin
07-17-2020, 01:14 PM
it'd be a shame to see it go... i would've liked to see another restaurant taking up the space but that's not likely in the cards in the current environment.

the county assessor shows a 1987 construction date with the front part being a 1992 addition. my earliest recollection was portobello's in the early 90's. other than that and deep fork grill has there been anything else in this space?

edit: nevermind! i went back and read the first page. : )

Pete
08-13-2020, 07:09 AM
The old Deep Fork building is being demolished today.

There have been no plans filed to build anything new on that parcel. Midfirst bought this property and everything in the triangle north of here from Chesapeake a few years ago, but hasn't done anything with it.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/deepfork081320a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/deepfork081320b.jpg

BoulderSooner
08-13-2020, 07:52 AM
lots of good memories eating in that building, kind of sad to see it go.

ksearls
08-13-2020, 10:11 AM
I hope someone saved the Western Bridge "sculpture" that hung in the bar.

foodiefan
08-13-2020, 12:18 PM
lots of good memories eating in that building, kind of sad to see it go.

=^

Pete
08-14-2020, 01:37 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/deepfork081420a.jpg

Bill Robertson
08-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Just doesn’t take long for a track hoe to make a building go away.

ctchandler
08-15-2020, 07:45 PM
Oh no, Two Pesos is history.
C. T.
p.s. Sorry, I guess I'm on the wrong thread.

Jeepnokc
08-16-2020, 12:25 AM
Oh no, Two Pesos is history.
C. T.
p.s. Sorry, I guess I'm on the wrong thread.

LOL C.T. i remember this started as a two pesos and i remember the 99 cent margaritas :)

catch22
08-16-2020, 06:46 AM
LOL C.T. i remember this started as a two pesos and i remember the 99 cent margaritas :)

If there were a place selling 99 cent margaritas I certainly would not remember it or much of anything.

Bill Robertson
08-16-2020, 07:23 AM
If there were a place selling 99 cent margaritas I certainly would not remember it or much of anything.
They did. Never went to that one but the one on NW Exp was a regular stop after softball games when they were there.

catch22
08-16-2020, 07:29 AM
They did. Never went to that one but the one on NW Exp was a regular stop after softball games when they were there.

I was trying to be funny lol

Bill Robertson
08-16-2020, 10:19 AM
I was trying to be funny lol

Sorry. Missed that!

catch22
08-16-2020, 11:35 AM
Sorry. Missed that!

All good. There's a reason I don't do HBO standup specials.

bombermwc
08-17-2020, 08:07 AM
Had many a lunch-and-learns there. Although they always seems to pop the breakers with the electric load in that room (which really was far too small for the events). So is something else going in? It's a good location, but definitely needed a new, more modern and capable building.